190 replies to this topic

#31 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Before people start jumping the gun so wildly, didn't Judi Dench mention that she'd be staying on in the role? And equally, wasn't the downed satellite story created on fan forums like this one?

I will do my best to find the evidence again, but I am pretty certain, because I remember thinking it was a terrible idea when I first read it... Mainly because a downed satellite would be of no use to anyone, they are merely data relays, the secretive information gets stored elsewhere, somewhere secure. So on a very base level this plot idea would be stupid anyway.

#32 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Before people start jumping the gun so wildly, didn't Judi Dench mention that she'd be staying on in the role? And equally, wasn't the downed satellite story created on fan forums like this one?

I will do my best to find the evidence again, but I am pretty certain, because I remember thinking it was a terrible idea when I first read it... Mainly because a downed satellite would be of no use to anyone, they are merely data relays, the secretive information gets stored elsewhere, somewhere secure. So on a very base level this plot idea would be stupid anyway.

As far as I know, we have no verification on the validity of the satellite plot.

#33 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

I can't see Fiennes signing on for a multi-film role, mostly because he just finished a mutli-film role as Voldemort. Not unless his involvement is toned down from the levels that Dench has been used. At most, I think Fiennes would take control of MI6 for a film, and then hand it on to a successor later.

And on an ironic note, I have to laugh at the way everyone poo-pooed the idea of Fiennes as M a few months ago (mostly because everyone was convinced he would be Blofeld). But now that a tabloid is running it as a story, everyone believes it.

I like your theory above that Fiennes could be a sort of mole catcher, investigating M. It fits. He could transition from that into M - I'm not so sure he's that averse to a recurring small role - after all Dench has broken the ground nicely for him.

#34 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

I don't think any of us should pretend to know how Ralph Fiennes thinks and whether or not he'd be interested in having a small but recurring role in the James Bond films.

It's James freaking Bond.

#35 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

The word government is quite carefully chosen here - as it is specifically not MI6, leaving lots of doors open.

I think you're reading too much into that. 'Government' could easily mean 'secret service' or whatever.

#36 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

The word government is quite carefully chosen here - as it is specifically not MI6, leaving lots of doors open.

I think you're reading too much into that. 'Government' could easily mean 'secret service' or whatever.

I was trying very heard to read very little into it :-)

I guess the default interpretation of government agent is UK government. But it's ambiguous.

#37 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Could this government agent have a name like...Sir Miles Messervy?

Did I spell that right?

#38 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

You did and he could.

#39 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

Fiennes is the new M, but whether he is set to return in future Bonds - that's the question.

Wow. Thanks Col.

Now, I wonder whether MI6 could be careless enough to lose two Ms in one movie. Perhaps a lot could be down to Fiennes' willingness or otherwise to commit. As a Fleming fan, hopefully he can stick around.

#40 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

Fiennes is the new M, but whether he is set to return in future Bonds - that's the question.

Do you know that for sure Col.? You´re usually a very trustworthy man, so I´ll trust your intell

#41 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

http://www.movieweb....conic-character

Shame that MovieWeb's site says SKYFALL stars Simon Russell Beale and Rhys Ifans though...

#42 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

Now, I wonder whether MI6 could be careless enough to lose two Ms in one movie. Perhaps a lot could be down to Fiennes' willingness or otherwise to commit.

I'm willing to bet that SKYFALL will be written in such a way that it would allow Fiennes to leave the role if he wanted to, and it would a) make sense and B) would not be embarrassing for MI6. Like my idea that he could be an Angleton-esque spy-catcher, called in to do a review of MI6. That way, if he leaves at the end of SKYFALL, it can be explained as Fiennes having done his job, and so there was no further need for him to stay at MI6. Or, if he chooses to stay, the obvious implication is that his character has been offered the position long-term. In fact, Logan/Purvis/Wade could probably write two scenes where Fiennes' character is offered the role of M full-time, with one version for each possibility.

#43 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

Well I have to say this; IF Ralph Fiennes is indeed a new M then I will be very pleased with such a casting decision. He is a superb actor and suits the role brilliantly. Perhaps a bit young for Fleming's original character, but at least something fresh and with a great deal of substance. It would make sense if they were to replace Dench to do so with such a fine actor.

It would probably be a good idea just to add a few minor touches with his make-up however. A few grey hairs on the temples and a tiny exaggeration of his age here and there. He is only 6 years older than Daniel Craig and is also looking extremely good and fine for his age. M should always be, at least somewhat noticeably, Bond's senior. Nothing much needed - very easy to achieve, so I automatically assume they would address that just fine.

I also would like, if so, his name to be revealed as Admiral Sir Miles Messervey, and have him puffing on a pipe on occasion! :)

#44 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

Perhaps a bit young for Fleming's original character, but at least something fresh and with a great deal of substance. It would make sense if they were to replace Dench to do so with such a fine actor.

A (relatively) younger actor in the role makes sense - it would mean Fiennes could be around for years. Fiennes is 49 right now. Assuming that he would stay in the role until he was 77 (the same age as Judi Dench), then that means he could do fourteen films as M, provided EON can keep up their one-film-every-other-year approach.

I also would like, if so, his name to be revealed as Admiral Sir Miles Messervey, and have him puffing on a pipe on occasion! :)

If they did that, I think it would only come at the end of the film. They can't have Fiennes as Miles Messervy right at the start of the film - it would bee too obvious what happens. Perhaps Fiennes could entrust Bond with his name as a show of good faith at the end of the film.

#45 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

Do you know that for sure Col.? You´re usually a very trustworthy man, so I´ll trust your intell

Let's just say if I was a betting man, I'd lay a wad down as a sure thing.

#46 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Fiennes playing M makes a lot more sense than Fiennes playing Blofeld. I recall reading an interview with him several weeks ago in which he made a suggestive comment (it seemed to me) about his character not getting any action. It seemed an odd thing to state explicitly, and my agile mind immediately leaped to Blofeld, whom Fleming had described (in Thunderball) as totally asexual. But I suppose Fiennes' remark would apply equally well to M. Any other character might easily be provided with a love interest or arm candy, but not M. That would suggest indiscretion, a lack of discipline and sobriety. Even if he were totally in control of the situation, that sort of familiarity would breed contempt, and M is the character that Bond must respect above all others.

#47 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

My expectation is that Fiennes tenure as M will be finite to the plot of Skyfall.

I still think he’s one of the bad guys, and this is all part of Bond’s loyalty to Dench’s M being put to the test in the film.

I see it playing out like this:
Dench’s M is disgraced and retired when an incident from her past comes back to haunt her. Finnes becomes M.
But Dench-M knows it is all part of a plot, so turns to Bond. His loyalty is tested – should he trust the boss who he has worked with for years and made him 007 in the first place or his current M?

#48 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

... or Fiennes would become the new M in SKYFALL - but in the end he would be exposed as the new Blofeld!

#49 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

If both Bardem and Fiennes are villains, I'll be disappointed. My least favorite Bond films are those that distribute villainy among several squabbling delinquents rather than concentrating it in a single grand malefactor. Quantum of Solace was especially guilty in this respect. I hope Skyfall will reverse the trend, so that there will be a distinct focal point of antagonism exerting its undivided, disciplined malice against Bond and his allies. For two big-name actors both to be villains implies a schism in the forces of evil. That doesn't necessarily mean that there's less pressure on Bond, but it usually works out that way, because the writers find it convenient to pull a Yojimbo whenever it looks dire for our hero.

#50 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

... or Fiennes would become the new M in SKYFALL - but in the end he would be exposed as the new Blofeld!

No Blofeld in Skyfall.

#51 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

No-Blofeld? Sort of like Bowes-Lyon?

#52 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Good enough for me then. Thanks.
And I do prefer Fiennes to be M over Blofeld. I liked the idea of Blofeld´s return. But having Finnes - one of my favourtie actors - as M is surely good enough.
Say, Col, can you confirm, as a betting man I mean, that the new M will be Sir Miles?

Edited by univex, 04 January 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#53 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

And I do prefer Fiennes to be M over Blofeld. I liked the idea of Blofeld´s return. But having Finnes - one of my favourtie actors - as M is surely good enough.
Say, Col, can you confirm, as a betting man I mean, that the new M will be Sir Miles?

I wouldn't bet on him being Sir Miles.

#54 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

I wouldn't bet on him being Sir Miles.

Damn! Oh well...can´t win them all I guess. Thanks Col.

Edited by univex, 04 January 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#55 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

I'd still guess he's a baddie who pushes M out of her job and takes it over.
If it's true it'll give the people who say Bond is copying Bourne more ammo, though! :)

#56 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm happy with Fiennes as M - perhaps not quite old enough vs. Craig's Bond - but the proof will be in the actual performance. I'd be surprised if they do it as a one off - without options on the next films etc.

#57 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

I'm happy with Fiennes as M - perhaps not quite old enough vs. Craig's Bond - but the proof will be in the actual performance.

If they want him for the long haul, he'll be considerably older than Bond when Craig leaves the role and someone else is cast.

#58 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

I'm happy with Fiennes as M - perhaps not quite old enough vs. Craig's Bond - but the proof will be in the actual performance.

If they want him for the long haul, he'll be considerably older than Bond when Craig leaves the role and someone else is cast.

Indeed.

I'm actually looking forward to how his character turns out.

#59 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Apparently, here is some more speculation that Fiennes is M,

http://www.hypable.c...eplace-spoiler/

Here too,

http://www.aceshowbi...w/00046581.html

Edited by DominicGreene, 04 January 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#60 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Also, Fiennes as a new (and new in the job) M leaves the door open for Moneypenny being an ex field agent reassigned to a desk job, if you know what I mean.