41 replies to this topic

#31 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hey, where is that coming from? I loved your book and said so many times, my friend! Why are you picking on me?

I was teasing you about skipping the first chapter of my book, which you said you did, because you thought you knew everything about the novel.

Anyway, not trying to hijack the conversation here - kudos to Andrew for tackling a unique subject!

No, no, no - I never ever said that. You must mistake me for someone else!

See here my comment on your book: http://debrief.comma...service__st__30

Maybe you mistake me for one of these other guys who have SecretAgent in their name: http://debrief.comma...rch_app_filters[

I ordered your book as soon as I heard, I read it, admired it. And I´m hoping you will write more of them on EVERY Bond film!

#32 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

So, I´ve read the whole book now - at 111 pages not a huge endeavour but a worthwhile one, IMO. The author succeeds at giving the reader a detailed, yet never tiresome, even light and relaxed look at one of the most maligned films in the franchise. By pointing out its variations of the formula, he actually uncovers many elusive qualities of the film - things I have overlooked in the past because I focused on all the elements that seemed to be a tired rehash. In the past years I´ve grown fond of this film and realized that my first impression of this film was tainted by the bad press and the zeitgeist during the mid-80´s when Bond was considered old hat and past his prime. This book actually made me appreciate the many subtle differences from and sly takes on Bond convention even more, and I consider it eye-opening in many regards. Of course, one could argue that the author interprets everything in a very positive light. Someone who hates AVTAK will probably not be open for a new look and consider this book to be just a fan´s plea to like the film more. But that would be wrong, IMO. The author, while clearly a big fan, makes points that are interesting to contemplate and does so in a style that never seems intrusive or manipulative. The book also offers a look at the Bond films following AVTAK and discusses the mark this film has made on the subsequent ones. This is actually a chapter I would have loved to be longer. But in the end, "James Bond in our sights: A close look at A View to a Kill" is probably even better for not overstaying its welcome. I highly recommend this book for every Bond film fan - and especially for those who want to give AVTAK another chance.

#33 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Love the fact that Sean Connery is on the cover of this...

#34 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

I doubt that this is the author´s fault but due to the publisher not having the rights to the actual AVTAK poster/photos and therefore going for a generic Bond image (that is clearly modelled on Connery... but actually only manages to redo his hairpiece correctly).

#35 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Always liked AVTAK. I also always like getting a new Bond related book after the holidays to start off the new year. I'm looking forward to this as it was a changing time in my own life. The summer before my senior year of high school, looking at colleges etc.

Anyway, I'll be ordering a copy here a bit later today.

#36 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

So, I´ve read the whole book now - at 111 pages not a huge endeavour but a worthwhile one, IMO. The author succeeds at giving the reader a detailed, yet never tiresome, even light and relaxed look at one of the most maligned films in the franchise. By pointing out its variations of the formula, he actually uncovers many elusive qualities of the film - things I have overlooked in the past because I focused on all the elements that seemed to be a tired rehash. In the past years I´ve grown fond of this film and realized that my first impression of this film was tainted by the bad press and the zeitgeist during the mid-80´s when Bond was considered old hat and past his prime. This book actually made me appreciate the many subtle differences from and sly takes on Bond convention even more, and I consider it eye-opening in many regards. Of course, one could argue that the author interprets everything in a very positive light. Someone who hates AVTAK will probably not be open for a new look and consider this book to be just a fan´s plea to like the film more. But that would be wrong, IMO. The author, while clearly a big fan, makes points that are interesting to contemplate and does so in a style that never seems intrusive or manipulative. The book also offers a look at the Bond films following AVTAK and discusses the mark this film has made on the subsequent ones. This is actually a chapter I would have loved to be longer. But in the end, "James Bond in our sights: A close look at A View to a Kill" is probably even better for not overstaying its welcome. I highly recommend this book for every Bond film fan - and especially for those who want to give AVTAK another chance.

SecretAgentFan … thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review. Admittedly it’s always nice when the review is positive, but more than that your observations/impressions really reflected my aims and intentions and hopes with the book – and that was very heartening to read. Thanks again – and glad it was a pleasure, as opposed to an effort!
Bryce (003) … thanks, and hope the book proves a nice start to the New Year! And doublenoughtspy, thank you for the kudos (and kudos to you on your much-revered and much-loved ‘Making of OHMSS’).
Btw – I scanned the first chapter of the book (7 pages) and uploaded them on the book’s facebook page. For anyone interested, the link is - http://www.facebook....200481546702153 - and hope the resolution is okay.

#37 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

I thought this was going to be a "making of" book like Doublenoughtspy's "The Making of OHMSS". It isn't, though he does briefly compare the short story the movie gets its title from to the movie. Instead, it's more like a defense of the film. As a fan of the film he didn't have to convince me, though sometimes he tries a little too hard. As much as I love Bond, it's not Shakespeare. I have two complaints about the book...Why isn't there a movie-specific photo or artwork on the cover? Sean Connery wasn't in the movie so he shouldn't be gracing the cover. Second, while it isn't a "making of" book, padding the book with a few photos wouldn't have hurt. I realize there are legal issues involved but there are ways around them like using photos not taken by Eon, using artwork of Roger or a generic Bond on the cover. If you like the movie or are on the fence about it, it's worth a read.

#38 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Just a few additional links, re. James Bond In Our Sights: A Close Look At ‘A View To A Kill’.

The first is a nice display of quotes from the book – https://www.facebook...&type=1

The next is images from a recent trip to San Francisco – https://www.facebook...46702153&type=1

And the final is a report on attending a screening of AVTAK as part of the 75th birthday celebrations for The Golden Gate Bridge - https://www.facebook...46702153&type=3

Cheers!

#39 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

Hi there. Just providing a link for the "James Bond In Our Sights" blog. There may be some material of interest. And I have a number of updates planned. Check it out if you're interested...
http://jamesbondinou...logspot.com.au/

Edited by JB-returns, 21 December 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#40 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I must say I had a hard time trying to give this book a rating.  It has been somewhere between two to three stars out of five.  I believe what makes it so hard is that giving it two stars seems to make the book sound so bad and three seems to make the book seem pretty good.  I respect Mr. McNess’s view and his ability to write an entertaining but perplexing book about one of the least favorable Bond films, A View To A Kill (AVTAK).  Congratulations to Mr. McNess for writing a book, which is more than I have done and hats off to him. The book has a lot of pros, I believe it is a great idea for someone to write their views of the film and defend it.  It seems like it would be a great way to start a conversation with another Bond fan, debating the merits of AVTAK. Reading the book made me want to go back and watch the film again.  The last time I watched AVTAK was around July or August and I must say I felt like my distaste for the film had increased since my previous viewing.  While the book brings up good points, I don’t believe it will change my mind on how I feel about the film. I don’t think the book’s intent is to change anybodies mind but it does make you go back and look at the film differently. The only real question I had after reading the book was out of all the Bond films why AVTAK?  There seems to be so other Bond films to discuss in which the fans and critics seem divided on, such as Octopussy or Licence To Kill or Quantum of Solace.  To me it seems that AVTAK had fewer fans than the other films, it also seems to be ranked at the bottom of “Best Bond Films” list. I place AVTAK in the bottom five.  The book does a great job of showing the highlights of AVTAK, the one thing the book showed me was how good John Barry’s score was in AVTAK.  The movie had a wonderful fight scene on the Golden Gate Bridge, Christopher Walken was a fanstatic villain, Grace Jones played a wonderful henchwoman who was underutilized (which the book describes) and Patrick Macnee has a wonderful performance. My main problem with the film and its the one thing that hurts the film is Roger Moore’s age, he is just too old for the film and his age really shows.  In OP it seems to be creeping up on Roger. While the book defends Moore’s age and eludes to some parts of the film showing certain undertones of Bond getting older, the film never states the obvious fact Moore is older.   What hurts the film to me is I’m watching somebody play Bond that can’t play the character to their fullest ability.  I just think Moore had reach his peak and it was one film to many.  The film had potential in a lot of areas and could have been great.  Just imagine if Moore did it at the same time as OP or maybe Dalton in the role.  I would recommend this book to any big Bond fan, for the general Bond fan I think this might be a tougher sale.  The book has some wonderful quotes from directors and the actors, along with quotes from the original reviews of the film.  The book makes a good source for Bond content, I do wish the author could have interviewed some of the people that worked on the film and got their views on the finished product. 

#41 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

I must say I had a hard time trying to give this book a rating.  It has been somewhere between two to three stars out of five.  I believe what makes it so hard is that giving it two stars seems to make the book sound so bad and three seems to make the book seem pretty good. 

I have to admit, I felt a little apprehensive reading the first few sentences, but in the end I found it an interesting review, thank you.

I don’t believe it will change my mind on how I feel about the film. I don’t think the book’s intent is to change anybodies mind but it does make you go back and look at the film differently.

This is refreshing to read. The intent is not to change minds, but rather examine AVTAK's intriguing, if subtle, play with formulaic expectation. As I state in the book, "There's something about A View to a Kill, and this book is an exploration of what that something encapsulates." Given AVTAK's generally lukewarm critical response, the book cannot help but somewhat function as a "defence". First and foremost, it is an appraisal of AVTAK.

What hurts the film to me is I’m watching somebody play Bond that can’t play the character to their fullest ability.  I just think Moore had reach his peak and it was one film to many.

Yes, that's a fair comment. And even Moore has joked retrospectively about his age in AVTAK. But to me, the dynamic (whether intentional or not) of older Bond / younger villains works effectively. Of course it isn't a dynamic that you could use for every Bond film, but as an experiment (inadvertent or otherwise) it works well. Even though Moore retains an essential level of Bondian composure, there feels to be more at stake for Bond this time round - there's more evident strain in the face - and these stakes reach a crescendo as Bond grips desperately to the Golden Gate Bridge.

#42 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Here are links to a couple of short articles at the blog for "James Bond In Our Sights". Hope they're of interest.

Skyfall joins "Evocations of a Kill"

http://jamesbondinou...-kill_4992.html

Looking at the Sunset with Death on the Horizon

http://jamesbondinou...on-horizon.html