New Bond book - "James Bond In Our Sights"

41 replies to this topic

#1 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

A new Bond book to bring us into 2012...

JAMES BOND IN OUR SIGHTS: A CLOSE LOOK AT ‘A VIEW TO A KILL’
Written by Andrew McNess

Hardcover & Paperback: 124 pages
Publisher: Xlibris Corporation (December 12, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1465382399
ISBN-13: 978-1465382399
From the back cover:
We know Dr. No. We know Goldfinger. But do we know A View to a Kill? The fourteenth official James Bond film, A View to a Kill marked Roger Moore’s final performance as Agent 007. However, the film’s intriguing, even subtle qualities have remained largely unrecognised since its 1985 release. In entertaining and thought-provoking fashion, author Andrew McNess shines a light on A View to a Kill, and argues we may well be overlooking one of the most interesting and engrossing evocations of the James Bond formula. James Bond in our Sights is a fascinating read for Bond fans and non-fans alike.

Available at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.co...24071928&sr=1-1

Author contact email: [email protected]

Attached Files

Edited by JB-returns, 16 December 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#2 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

Here is the press release from the publisher, Xlibris...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Andrew McNess brilliantly contends “A View To A Kill’s” most interesting and engrossing evocations of the Bond formula.

MELBOURNE, Victoria – (Release Date 13/12/2011) – Largely seen by fans and critics alike as the overly-formulaic orphan child of earlier smash Bond hits, “A View To A Kill,” the 14th installment of modern cinema’s classic James Bond 007 film series, is the film in question in Andrew McNess’s James Bond In Our Sights. McNess puts up an exuberant display of a film critic’s sharp, trenchant observations and a compleat fan’s reverence for the condign qualities of Ian Fleming’s, cool, womanizing spy-hero.

The film marked Roger Moore’s final performance as Agent 007. However, in the author’s superbly well-reasoned contention, “A View To A Kill’s” intriguing, even subtle, qualities have been unrecognised or passed over since its 1985 release. Such is the fate of the erstwhile late entry in a series that already commanded a solid, respected place in the popular imagination. By reason, perhaps, of various factors attendant upon a popular culture vehicle, the film was simply accepted as another Bond film.

In entertaining and thought-provoking fashion, McNess shines a light on the unique qualities of the film and how they achieve a transcendence through working creatively within formulaic parameters, rather than struggling against them. (The band Duran Duran does its turn to funk up the proceedings in cameo.) As with its more successful siblings, “A View To A Kill” went in smooth and strong like James Bond’s favorite liquor but its captive but already saturated audience failed to notice the heretofore unused accents and flavors incorporated in the vintage. In essence, the author posits a full-blown maturation within the company that produced the series: the film represented an apex development that, unintentionally or not, they (producers) failed to inform the public of.

All these are of a piece with the skilfull handling of the franchise well into the new century. The book, in and of itself, will be absolutely engrossing even for non-fans. Andrew McNess can and does write hook-laden prose that serves his wholly supportable thesis very well.

About the Author
Andrew McNess is based in Melbourne, Australia. He has a doctorate in sociology and has published scholarly work in the subject areas of youth bereavement and health promotion. He works for The Compassionate Friends, an international peer support organisation for bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:11 AM

As with its more successful siblings, “A View To A Kill” went in smooth and strong like James Bond’s favorite liquor but its captive but already saturated audience failed to notice the heretofore unused accents and flavors incorporated in the vintage. In essence, the author posits a full-blown maturation within the company that produced the series: the film represented an apex development that, unintentionally or not, they (producers) failed to inform the public of.

Is much of it like this? Metaphors not so much stretched as pulled cruelly out of shape and ritualistically abused?

#4 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

On top of stretching the truth, that is a very difficult paragraph to read. Imagine how exhausting a whole book would be to get through!

#5 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

As with its more successful siblings, “A View To A Kill” went in smooth and strong like James Bond’s favorite liquor but its captive but already saturated audience failed to notice the heretofore unused accents and flavors incorporated in the vintage. In essence, the author posits a full-blown maturation within the company that produced the series: the film represented an apex development that, unintentionally or not, they (producers) failed to inform the public of.

Is much of it like this? Metaphors not so much stretched as pulled cruelly out of shape and ritualistically abused?

"Is much of it like this?"

No. The above passage (from the press release) is not indicative of the writing style of the book. I say this as the author. (Btw I've gotten into a bit of trouble at another Bond forum for just announcing the book, rather than introducing myself as the author. Lesson learned.)

The press release is just that, a press release. I did not write it, but I did approve it, so I do take responsibility for it. The release is obviously hyping the book up for media outlets, hence terms like "brilliant", "milestone", etc. Even as the author, I take this hyperbole with a grain of salt, but equally I understand the place it has in selling a book - and I'm very happy with the job xlibris has done.

"James Bond in our Sights" is literally hot off the press. Hence the free passages from the book have not yet appeared on Amazon or at xlibris.com.au. Of course, these passages will be a better indication of the book's writing style. I'll post a link when the passage/passages become available.

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:20 AM

"Is much of it like this?"

No. The above passage (from the press release) is not indicative of the writing style of the book. I say this as the author. (Btw I've gotten into a bit of trouble at another Bond forum for just announcing the book, rather than introducing myself as the author. Lesson learned.)

The press release is just that, a press release. I did not write it, but I did approve it, so I do take responsibility for it. The release is obviously hyping the book up for media outlets, hence terms like "brilliant", "milestone", etc. Even as the author, I take this hyperbole with a grain of salt, but equally I understand the place it has in selling a book - and I'm very happy with the job xlibris has done.

"James Bond in our Sights" is literally hot off the press. Hence the free passages from the book have not yet appeared on Amazon or at xlibris.com.au. Of course, these passages will be a better indication of the book's writing style. I'll post a link when the passage/passages become available.

Is the above indicative of the prose style, then?

#7 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hi JBreturns

This sounds like an interesting idea, certainly fresher than the usual generic Books About Bond that seem to get released each year. But I'd love to hear from you a 'for example' as to why you wrote the book on this particular film. I know the movie quite well and even I'm struggling to think of anything that makes it middleground yet alone a milestone. Other than the fact it gave the stunt team more onscreen time than any other film :). The press release tells me nothing I'm afraid. I wish you well with it though and thanks for telling us aboit it.

#8 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

Wow! And I thought our friend Zorin would write that...

Had to buy this instantly since Zorin already converted me to a AVTAK-lover. Looking forward to this analysis.

#9 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:52 AM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your wishes.

AVTAK is a film that has always impressed me. It was probably the eighth or ninth 007 film I saw. In 1995, while awaiting the release of GoldenEye, I read up on the public and critical responses to each of the Bond films, and was surprised to find AVTAK rated pretty lowly. I read up on all the criticisms and then re-watched the film, expecting to dislike it, and instead found it…excellent. Anyway, it’s struck me as an underrated Bond film – and thus the necessity to give the film some extra recognition through a book.

In terms of examples of why AVTAK is worthy of analysis and appraisal, here are some below. (Of course in the book I can write in much greater depth as to why I think these qualities – that at face value may seem small – are as effective as they are.) Btw there is a Facebook page that includes some paragraph excerpts from the book: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=711801158#!/pages/James-Bond-In-Our-Sights-A-Close-Look-At-A-View-To-A-Kill/200481546702153

For example…
- the dynamic of older Bond/younger supervillain (a dynamic that is also seen in NSNA, but I think is more interestingly conveyed in AVTAK)
- Zorin is an atypical supervillain in many respects, and his brand of capitalism and sense of entitlement are more ‘recognisably real’ than usual
- AVTAK’s violence is a little harder to shrug off than the majority of Bond films (the book examines why)
- Bond is continually bested by May Day (this issue is explored)
- Bond’s paternalism (and gallantry) towards Stacey is an effective counterbalance to Zorin and May Day’s amorality.
- The film is not as dependent on action sequences to create its intrigue (a la, OHMSS, CR)
- While the film has its humour there is a darker tone to proceedings than many a Bond film (the book looks into how this achieved)

Looking at these examples, the response might be ‘so what?’ but again the book goes into more detail as to why such qualities are effective. (Some of these qualities are of course seen in other Bond films, but I think they are often more clearly expressed in AVTAK.)

SecretAgentFan, thanks for your support too. I hope you like the book and find the analysis of interest, and feel free to provide any feedback, etc. Cheers!

Author email: [email protected]

(Not sure how I mucked up the last post. Hopefully this one will work.)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your wishes.

AVTAK is a film that has always impressed me. It was probably the eighth or ninth 007 film I saw. In 1995, while awaiting the release of GoldenEye, I read up on the public and critical responses to each of the Bond films, and was surprised to find AVTAK rated pretty lowly. I read up on all the criticisms and then re-watched the film, expecting to dislike it, and instead found it…excellent. Anyway, it’s struck me as an underrated Bond film – and thus the necessity to give the film some extra recognition through a book.

In terms of examples of why AVTAK is worthy of analysis and appraisal, here are some below. (Of course in the book I can write in much greater depth as to why I think these qualities – that at face value may seem small – are as effective as they are.) Btw there is a Facebook page that includes some paragraph excerpts from the book: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=711801158#!/pages/James-Bond-In-Our-Sights-A-Close-Look-At-A-View-To-A-Kill/200481546702153

For example…
- the dynamic of older Bond/younger supervillain (a dynamic that is also seen in NSNA, but I think is more interestingly conveyed in AVTAK)
- Zorin is an atypical supervillain in many respects, and his brand of capitalism and sense of entitlement are more ‘recognisably real’ than usual
- AVTAK’s violence is a little harder to shrug off than the majority of Bond films (the book examines why)
- Bond is continually bested by May Day (this issue is explored)
- Bond’s paternalism (and gallantry) towards Stacey is an effective counterbalance to Zorin and May Day’s amorality.
- The film is not as dependent on action sequences to create its intrigue (a la, OHMSS, CR)
- While the film has its humour there is a darker tone to proceedings than many a Bond film (the book looks into how this achieved)

Looking at these examples, the response might be ‘so what?’ but again the book goes into more detail as to why such qualities are effective. (Some of these qualities are of course seen in other Bond films, but I think they are often more clearly expressed in AVTAK.)

SecretAgentFan, thanks for your support too. I hope you like the book and find the analysis of interest, and feel free to provide any feedback, etc. Cheers!

Author email: [email protected]

#10 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

My copy is already being shipped!

#11 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

Congratulations for the book. It looks real good and interesting.

I think all good and deep studies of any Bond film are always a fascinating thing to read (specially about the lesser known or loved Bond films...)

#12 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

My copy is already being shipped!

I'm on the fence about buying this one, so I'll be interested in your reaction.

#13 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

I´m very curious myself... but this book will definitely be a good way to start the anniversary year.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

I like the sound of this. Love Bond books that specialize. I'll be getting this one. Thanks for the links.

#15 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

Thanks SecretAgentFan, ggl, zencat and Major Tallon, for your interest, re. the book. Much appreciated!

I honestly haven't known what interest a subject matter such as this might generate, so it's interesting and heartening to read your comments. Yes, and I certainly understand the appeal of looking at one particular film; this can be particularly interesting if it's a film that is underrated, under-appreciated, unloved, etc.

Cheers!

[email protected]

#16 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

Love Bond books that specialize.

Same here. Never thought we'd see a book about A VIEW TO A KILL. Most interesting.

If only someone would write one about my favourite 007 flick, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN.

#17 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

Love Bond books that specialize.

Same here. Never thought we'd see a book about A VIEW TO A KILL. Most interesting.

If only someone would write one about my favourite 007 flick, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN.

Yes. Definitely interesting. I'm not half-partial to THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN...

#18 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

I´d buy that one, too.

#19 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Or you could write it yourself. :)

#20 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

Or you could write it yourself. :)

I thought you would grace our book shelves with explorations on EVERY Bond film...

#21 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Wow, it already was delivered today although Amazon said it would take at least two weeks. My first impression from skimming it: very interesting!

#22 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

First Bond film I saw on the big screen . . . . may have to get this just for the nostalgia factor.

#23 JB-returns

JB-returns

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Wow, it already was delivered today although Amazon said it would take at least two weeks. My first impression from skimming it: very interesting!

First Bond film I saw on the big screen . . . . may have to get this just for the nostalgia factor.

Very impressed with how quickly the book arrived! I had ordered some copies from Amazon US prior to Christmas, and I don't think they've even been sent yet. (I do have a published copy though.) I'll put it down to the Xmas/New Year period, and keep the fingers crossed.
Dogmanstar, hope it might prove an enjoyable nostalgic trip. Cheers!

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Is there anywhere we can read an extract or two?

#25 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Some brief extracts here:

http://www.facebook....200481546702153

#26 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

Cheers, man.

#27 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

Finally had the time to start the book. The introduction made sense with the "Psycho/Psycho remake"-comparison in reference to AVTAK´s reputation as being a copy of GOLDFINGER. Looking forward to the various aspects of the following look at the film. Definitely written by a fan with a clear head, so far.

#28 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

Finally had the time to start the book. The introduction made sense with the "Psycho/Psycho remake"-comparison in reference to AVTAK´s reputation as being a copy of GOLDFINGER. Looking forward to the various aspects of the following look at the film. Definitely written by a fan with a clear head, so far.

Oh, so you are actually reading the first chapter on this one, unlike with another book, which couldn't possibly contain any information you didn't know eh?

#29 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

Oh, so you are actually reading the first chapter on this one, unlike with another book, which couldn't possibly contain any information you didn't know eh?

Hey, where is that coming from? I loved your book and said so many times, my friend! Why are you picking on me?

#30 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hey, where is that coming from? I loved your book and said so many times, my friend! Why are you picking on me?

I was teasing you about skipping the first chapter of my book, which you said you did, because you thought you knew everything about the novel.

Anyway, not trying to hijack the conversation here - kudos to Andrew for tackling a unique subject!