81 replies to this topic

#61 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

They crammed in as many references in DAD and many of them were as subtle as a hammer to the head

…and about as welcome.

#62 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Shirly Bassey singing the theme song with cut a ways to all the films like in OHMSS would be a great tribute.

I've been saying that even before SKYFALL had a title...

#63 BourneAgainBond

BourneAgainBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

Shirly Bassey singing the theme song with cut a ways to all the films like in OHMSS would be a great tribute.

I've been saying that even before SKYFALL had a title...

then you must be a smart cookie.... what do they say? great minds think a like lol j/k

#64 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

... cut a ways to all the films like in OHMSS would be a great tribute.

Not keen on that. I think the previous films should be let lie. In addition, I can think of no natural way to build in a montage of 22 previous movies into a film without wrecking it beyond repair. Adding shots/clips in the end credits would be better, but still not something I'm overly keen on.

#65 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Not keen on that. I think the previous films should be let lie. In addition, I can think of no natural way to build in a montage of 22 previous movies into a film without wrecking it beyond repair. Adding shots/clips in the end credits would be better, but still not something I'm overly keen on.

I'm not keen on any of that either. The best way for EON to celebrate the 50th Anniversary with SkyFall is to make the best film they possibly can. Leave the other festivities and tributes to events and products released outside the context of SkyFall. The film itself should be simply another Bond film, not a tribute to the 22 films that precede it.

#66 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

I´ve said it many time. The best tribute they can make is to make a good Bond film. And it´s not an easy one to pull off.

EDIT: I see you´ve beaten me to it tdalton. Thumb up to brilliant minds thinking the same.

#67 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

I agree with you both.

My credits musings was simply a speculative way of shoehorning blatant navel-gazing Bond history references onto the big screen without ruining the important business of the actual movie - not something I want to see at all!

#68 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

I agree with you both.

My credits musings was simply a speculative way of shoehorning blatant navel-gazing Bond history references onto the big screen without ruining the important business of the actual movie - not something I want to see at all!

I understood where you were coming from with the suggestion. IF we were forced to have to have some kind of a tribute to the previous 22 films somewhere in SkyFall, I would agree that having them in the end credits would be the only way to go. But, like you, I'm definitely not supportive of that idea either.

#69 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

I agree with you both.

I understood where you were coming from with the suggestion. IF we were forced to have to have some kind of a tribute to the previous 22 films somewhere in SkyFall, I would agree that having them in the end credits would be the only way to go. But, like you, I'm definitely not supportive of that idea either.

Some kind of tintin-like credits with references to the previous films could work if done really really well. But I prefer the "good film" tribute myself. Cheers.

#70 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

I agree with you both.

Some kind of tintin-like credits with references to the previous films could work if done really really well. But I prefer the "good film" tribute myself. Cheers.

That's what I prefer as well. I don't want to see any tributes at all to the other 22 films, but if it's an absolute requirement for the film (which, I hope Mendes doesn't see it as one as appeared to be the case with DAD), then the only way I'd give it even lukewarm support would be if it was relegated to the end credits.

#71 BourneAgainBond

BourneAgainBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

ok were does this idea come from that they could possibly wreck the franchise beyond repair?
you think if they released 1 or 2 bond films that became the worst films of all time that they would just fold the second highest grossing film franchise of all time?

#72 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

ok were does this idea come from that they could possibly wreck the franchise beyond repair?
you think if they released 1 or 2 bond films that became the worst films of all time that they would just fold the second highest grossing film franchise of all time?

I didn't use the word "franchise". I said it would wreck the film beyond repair. The franchise won't be going anywhere in a hurry.

#73 BourneAgainBond

BourneAgainBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

my bad vauxhall. still could not see it wrecking the film though. clearly it is just IMO.

#74 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Well, I know the other 22 films so I don´t need snippets of them to be included anywhere in the film. DAD already did the homage stuff.

#75 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

The only reference I'd wish for is to have Daniel Craig sing those first few snippets of "Underneath The mango Tree." That would be it, nothing more. Wishful thinking for certain, but man...it'd be awesome. :D

#76 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

The best way for them to pay homage to the classics will be to create a great Bond story using some good, classic design and photography. I always appreciate the older school of a more elegant pacing, more wider shots and patient cinematography etc.

They seem to have done really well with things we've glimpsed such as the suits, the fuller use of the PPK and the DB5, a very promising and interesting new casting of Q, the use of the Fleming/Bond heritage of Glencoe in Scotland, a return to Istanbul (clearly set to be alot better than the TWINE effort) and a fascinating choice of director and composer.

I am fully expecting to see some sort of more direct reference to something or other though. Hopefully it'll be subtle. On the other hand I highly doubt they will do anything like they did with DAD. The sheer amount of referencing and pointless trinketry recieved alot of bile and critisism, and they no doubt realise this which is why they are doing what they are now doing with Daniel Craig's era.

I suppose the best thing to do would be some subtle reference to Dr No, seeing as it was the opening film in the series. Off the top of my head I'd think of something like.. maybe slipping the morse code sound from the very start of the film in there somewhere in the background on something, or even right before the gunbarrel. Could be done well, just the beeps over the top of the soft intro with the white dots, then kicking straight into the electric guitar with the shot.

Another goodun would be to have Bond use the old powder trick on some lock to check if anyone's been tampering with it.. he couldn't do the hair trick though really! Or perhapse have Underneath the Mango Tree playing in the background in a bit of a bar scene or such.

#77 BourneAgainBond

BourneAgainBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

Ive noticed since DAD every film has had a few references/homages in them. just off the top of my head

CR; i doubt this one they were trying for but the bulldozer scene reminded me of the one in TLD
then there is the more obvious ones like the woman climbing onto the yacht, very FYEO
and i don't think they were trying for this one either but bond runs up one of those mobile airport staircases, just like bond escape in TLD

QOS; the girl covered in oil, like in GF
and one of the henchman holding on to bonds tie to keep from falling of the roof, just like MR

i guess after 20 films its almost impossible not to repeat yourself in a specific genera

Edited by BourneAgainBond, 13 February 2012 - 03:51 AM.

#78 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

To underline my nerdiness: the roof scene in QOS was a nod to TSWLM, not MR.

And Field´s demise was a well publicized GF quote.

As to your other examples... doubtful. DAD definitely did this thing intentionally and stuffed the film. Another round at this for SKYFALL would be silly.

#79 BourneAgainBond

BourneAgainBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

my bad your right it was TSWLM but at least i wasn't that far off and Jews was in both of them haha

what about how bond takes a dinner knife from a the table in CR before Felix stops him, just like in DN when Dr.No catches bond doing the same.

i agree if SF did what DAD did, it'd be kinda silly and i wouldn't be to excited to see it because there wouldn't be all that much new material

but i still think that any future bond films will have one or two of these.

i know its probably nothing but in both CR and QOS, craigs bond throws a set of keys very carelessly and i'm wondering if he'll find a way to keep doing it as a signature of his.

#80 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

There will always be similarities - which can be seen as references if you like. The oil girl was an extremely blatant attempt at something classic and didn't relaly seem to have any real relevance (except to make a crass attempt at reinforcing the belief that it was all about oil).

The important thing is to avoid shoehorning them in with a shovel.

#81 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

my bad your right it was TSWLM but at least i wasn't that far off and Jews was in both of them haha

Um, "Jaws".

#82 BourneAgainBond

BourneAgainBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

haha