358 replies to this topic

#61 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

I'll be pleasantly astonished if there's a livestream, considering how reticent Eon have been about this whole press conference.

That's why I reckon it will come from the news channels at the conference, rather than from EON themselves.

#62 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

That's true. A third party might stream it. But I wonder, is there a big enough demand to justify that? You and I are on the edge of our seats, but the people at the press conference will be general entertainment reporters. Does the average film fan require a live broadcast of the Bond 23 presser? The technology exists, and isn't a big deal to implement, but I don't think it's quite to the point of being routine. Here's hoping.

#63 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:21 AM

But I wonder, is there a big enough demand to justify that? You and I are on the edge of our seats, but the people at the press conference will be general entertainment reporters. Does the average film fan require a live broadcast of the Bond 23 presser? The technology exists, and isn't a big deal to implement, but I don't think it's quite to the point of being routine.

It's cheaper and more cost-effective than interrupting regular programming to cut to the press conference on television. And it's less likely to attract complaints from people who were halfway through an episode of "Antiques Roadshow" and don't care for Bond.

#64 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:07 AM

No argument here. Who said anything about interrupting regular programming? I was just speculating about internet coverage. If this gets any mainstream TV coverage, it will surely be brief and confined to one of those entertainment news shows. I hardly think they're going to treat this like the moon landing.

#65 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:19 AM

Who said anything about interrupting regular programming?

No-one. It's just the alternative to live streaming. And because it would interrupt the planned programming, it's not a very attractive idea.

#66 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

The other alternative is that they don't report it at all, except very briefly and in their own good time, just as tinseltown news tends to be reported.

#67 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:36 AM

I think Bond is big enough to get more than that. Especially after a four-year absence and with the likes of Javier Bardem in the film.

#68 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

I don't believe it will be broadcast live on television but there should be reports from major TV channels later in the day. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the press conference will be in central London, rather than at Pinewood Studios.

#69 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Also, to the best of my knowledge, the press conference will be in central London, rather than at Pinewood Studios.

Interesting.

Years ago, they did this sort of thing from rather grand hotels (the Regent Hotel in London for Goldeneye) I wonder if it’s going to be anything like that.

#70 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

I’ve been going through my old Bond reference books, reading up on Bond history.

Here is an interesting fact, that seems to have gone unnoticed.
Sean Connery’s casting as James Bond was first announced on 3rd November 1961.
The press conference for Bond 23 will be 50 years to the day of that historic press release.

I love that!

#71 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

I’ve been going through my old Bond reference books, reading up on Bond history.

The press conference for Bond 23 will be 50 years to the day of that historic press release.

I love that!

Whoa, nice catch!

#72 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

I love that!

Fantastic! Nice work.

#73 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

They make an event of it - whether live or not. 24hr news channels are hungry for anything semi-news worthy to report, and a Bond press con is pretty glamorous stuff to report on. I'm sure it'll be all over youtube quickly enough. As Dave and others pointed out, the last couple were on the beeb and Sky, and available after the fact via red button and I'm sure some of the papers present will put it online as well.

#74 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

Another option for anyone not near a TV but who do have access to the internet might be the 'Digital Spy' website.

They normally report on all the latest entertainment headlines quite promptly throughout the day.

#75 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

Skudor's right, it will be everywhere quickly. Do we even know the specific time of the conference?

#76 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

Also, to the best of my knowledge, the press conference will be in central London, rather than at Pinewood Studios.

Makes sense, given that the first scenes are supposedly going to be shot in or around Smithfield Market.

#77 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

The news will be on Twitter instantaneously. We'll know everything as it happens, though we may need to wait for video footage.

#78 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

The trick is knowing which Twitter feeds to follow. Especialy since the feeds will likely be bombarded with questions, and it will be easy to lose information in the mass of responses.

#79 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:29 AM

The trick is knowing which Twitter feeds to follow. Especialy since the feeds will likely be bombarded with questions, and it will be easy to lose information in the mass of responses.

That´s true.

#80 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

I don't have a Twitter account myself, but if you could disable comments to your feed, it would be in EON's interested to establish their own account, turn comments off, and use it to announce things. It's cheaper than live streaming.

#81 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:56 AM

I don't have a Twitter account myself, but if you could disable comments to your feed, it would be in EON's interested to establish their own account, turn comments off, and use it to announce things. It's cheaper than live streaming.

You raise an interesting question. Will social networks be used to publicise the film? And if so, how? What was the name of the guy who did podcasts for each film online? I can´t quite remember. And do you think we will get more leaked pics and films, like TDKR is getting?

#82 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:13 AM

Will social networks be used to publicise the film? And if so, how?

I don't know. If they are, then I don't think they'll go in for the whole alternate reality game; Bond pretty much promotes itself. At the same time, BOND 23 will have a genuine all-star line-up in both cast and crew. You'll get the occasional bit of brilliant casting, like Christopher Lee and Christopher Walken and Mads Mikkelsen, but I don't think we've ever had a Bond film where the whole cast is filled with high-calibre actors and crew members. And I think EON would be remiss not to play up to that. Social media is certainly something they could run with.

And do you think we will get more leaked pics and films, like TDKR is getting?

The thing about TDRK is that they have a lot of location shoots. One of the reasons why we go so much from Pittsburgh is because there were so many people watching it. But if EON opts for closed sets, leaked pictures will be much harder to come by. I remember a tabloid photographer tried to get into the Siena sets (the safehouse and art gallery) to take photos during production of QUANTUM OF SOLACE, and EON threw the book at him when he was caught; they pretty much locked him out of the set for the rest of production. EON are very good at controlling what information gets out.

#83 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:20 AM

Will social networks be used to publicise the film? And if so, how?

I don't know. If they are, then I don't think they'll go in for the whole alternate reality game; Bond pretty much promotes itself. At the same time, BOND 23 will have a genuine all-star line-up in both cast and crew. You'll get the occasional bit of brilliant casting, like Christopher Lee and Christopher Walken and Mads Mikkelsen, but I don't think we've ever had a Bond film where the whole cast is filled with high-calibre actors and crew members. And I think EON would be remiss not to play up to that. Social media is certainly something they could run with.

And do you think we will get more leaked pics and films, like TDKR is getting?

The thing about TDRK is that they have a lot of location shoots. One of the reasons why we go so much from Pittsburgh is because there were so many people watching it. But if EON opts for closed sets, leaked pictures will be much harder to come by. I remember a tabloid photographer tried to get into the Siena sets (the safehouse and art gallery) to take photos during production of QUANTUM OF SOLACE, and EON threw the book at him when he was caught; they pretty much locked him out of the set for the rest of production. EON are very good at controlling what information gets out.

I´m usually a big supporter of positive reinforcement, so, and because I´ve been critical of your attitude regarding some posting philosophy, I have to say it: SEE!? This is why I´ve been by your side on numerous occasions! When you want to, you really can be non judgemental and knowledgeable, and that´s when it´s really nice talking to ya ;) Good anwser on all accounts :tup: Plus, I never knew about that photographer affair, nice info, thanks. Cheers Cap.

Edited by univex, 01 November 2011 - 03:21 AM.

#84 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:32 AM

I never knew about that photographer affair, nice info, thanks.

It wasn't really a big deal. The Siena sets were closed, but word was that they were "stunning" (and they did look good). The tabloids were willing to pay handsomely for photos of the sets; the more EON said no, the more the tabloids wanted pictures. One photographer, who was more of a freelancer than anything else (though one suspects he only became a freelancer once he was caught, so that the tabloids would not get kicked out), tried to sneak in. He got caught almost straight away; he didn't even get close to the sets. EON pretty much black-listed him - he wasn't allowed access to any sets or location shoots for the rest of the film. I'm pretty certain they also would have reviewed any photos he took, and erased them, just to be sure. Nobody tried again after that.

Like I said, EON are very, very good when it comes to security.

#85 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:39 AM

I never knew about that photographer affair, nice info, thanks.

It wasn't really a big deal. The Siena sets were closed, but word was that they were "stunning" (and they did look good). The tabloids were willing to pay handsomely for photos of the sets; the more EON said no, the more the tabloids wanted pictures. One photographer, who was more of a freelancer than anything else (though one suspects he only became a freelancer once he was caught, so that the tabloids would not get kicked out), tried to sneak in. He got caught almost straight away; he didn't even get close to the sets. EON pretty much black-listed him - he wasn't allowed access to any sets or location shoots for the rest of the film. I'm pretty certain they also would have reviewed any photos he took, and erased them, just to be sure. Nobody tried again after that.

Like I said, EON are very, very good when it comes to security.

That´s true. I guess we´ll have to make due with some pics from the location shoots. I seem to recall the first QOS pics being of Bond in an overcoat in the rain.

On another note, I do hope they´ll make us some nice podcasts ;)

#86 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:40 AM

I love that!

It's very cool, indeed - but I don't think it's a coincidence.

#87 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:42 AM

I love that!

It's very cool, indeed - but I don't think it's a coincidence.

Do you think they´ll mention it at some point of the conference? It´s quite an interesting detail :tup:

#88 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:58 AM

Do you think they´ll mention it at some point of the conference? It´s quite an interesting detail :tup:

I couldn't say. Fifty years is a big deal, but I don't think EON want to make a fuss over it. DIE ANOTHER DAY was loaded with refernces to the previous films (to the point where it seemed that large sections of the film were only intended as tributes to those films, rather than being an actual film itself), and the infamous CGI bullet was meant to be a "celebration", but the whole thing was a disaster. I think that they'll want to celebrate fifty ywars of Bond by making an exceptional film, rather than through meta-references. So they might mention it, but probably only in passing.

#89 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:11 AM

I couldn't say. Fifty years is a big deal, but I don't think EON want to make a fuss over it. DIE ANOTHER DAY was loaded with refernces to the previous films (to the point where it seemed that large sections of the film were only intended as tributes to those films, rather than being an actual film itself), and the infamous CGI bullet was meant to be a "celebration", but the whole thing was a disaster. I think that they'll want to celebrate fifty ywars of Bond by making an exceptional film, rather than through meta-references. So they might mention it, but probably only in passing.

It seems logical it would get a mention, as the 50th anniversary topic will not go unnoticed by the press. I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to ask if there will be references within the film to celebrate the anniversary as was the case with DAD. But I agree that EON will NOT go that route this time, or certainly not as explicitly as they did with DAD. Simply making a great Bond film that can be looked back on 50 years on with the same fondness as the beloved films of 50 years ago would be the best tribute they could strive for.

#90 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:21 AM

But I agree that EON will NOT go that route this time, or certainly not as explicitly as they did with DAD.

My favourite reference in DAD was the way Bond took some grapes from the recovery room in Cuba. It was just a tiny little nod to one of the previous films (TB, I think), but it wasn't blatant the way the jetpack in Q's lab was.