358 replies to this topic

#91 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

Okay, the press conference is scheduled for 11:45am on the 3rd of November. So, I've worked out the local times of the press conference for everyone here.

#92 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

The press conference for Bond 23 will be 50 years to the day of that historic press release.

I love that!

It's very cool, indeed - but I don't think it's a coincidence.

Oh, I’m quite certain it’s no coincidence.
I’d expect Wilson or Broccoli to mention it at some stage.
There may even be a line in the press pack.

#93 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

deleted

Edited by 007jamesbond, 01 November 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#94 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

Great work Captain Tightpants. :tup:

#95 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:48 AM

This is the 50th anniversary of Bond films...I would think there should be a live press conference on tv....Bond is among the most famous British fiction characters.

But does the public demand it? Does they even care? Sure, Bond is relevant, but is interrupting regular programming worth it? Is it justified? For one, the press conference is scheduled for 11.45am on a Thursday - square in the middle of the working week. Who is going to see it? Who, in that demographic of people, is going to show an interest? There are a lot of people who don't care for James Bond. The only people who are going to get it in prime time (between about 5pm and 9pm) are people living in time zones between New Delhi and Seoul.

More to the point, a lot of commercial stations - like the BBC and ITV - have regular news programs in the 12-2pm slot. Those stations can simply record the press conference, edit it down to a more-manageable five-minute recap for the afternoon and evening news. Barring an absolute disaster elsewhere in the world on Thursday, they could run it high in the story rotation and get it out to far more people than if they cut to a live press conference.

That's why streaming a live feed online is the best option: the people who care the most about it will see it, the stations won't have to interrupt their regular programming, and they'll be able to include it in the afternoon and evening news. Everybody wins.

#96 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

Tweet from a Sky News journalist:
V exciting new #JamesBond film development to be announced Thursday morn live on @SkyNews *must-watch-tv*

Seems like it will be live on Sky News then!

#97 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Tweet from a Sky News journalist:

V exciting new #JamesBond film development to be announced Thursday morn live on @SkyNews *must-watch-tv*

Seems like it will be live on Sky News then!

SkyNewsFall

#98 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

Brilliant! :D

#99 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

This film is going to be about Murdoch’s fall from grace - not that he had much grace.

Tomorrow Never Dies 2: The Sun Always Lies… on TV

A-ha can do the theme song

#100 Godhammer

Godhammer

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

Okay, the press conference is scheduled for 11:45am on the 3rd of November. So, I've worked out the local times of the press conference for everyone here.

The press conference should wrap up just in time to make the early morning news shows in America.
As I recall, when DIE ANOTHER DAY had its kickoff presentation, ABC's Good Morning America featured
live interviews with Brosnan and Berry direct from Pinewood.

#101 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

7:45 AM Thursday it is. Bring it.

#102 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

Must alert my repair shop that I'll be crashing my car Thursday morning, trying to read updates on my phone while driving into work.

#103 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:54 AM

*Puts on voice of the mono-tone announcer guy in Diamonds Are Forever* TWO DAYS..AND COUNTING!! :D LOL... Seriously, its so fun that we are pumped for this press conference..you'd think it's 1969 again around these forums and Neil Armstrong is about to take his first step onto the Moon..

#104 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

Twenty-four hours to go!

#105 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Twenty-four hours to go!

All together now!

Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated
Nothin' to do and no where to go-o-oh I wanna be sedated...

#106 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

I find it utterly bizarre that we're twelve hours out from the annoucement and we have no solid information on the Bond Girl. No rumour has really stuck - not even Berenice Marlohe. It's odd because there's usually a lot of attention directed towards it. I suppose that in the mass of stories about Bardem, Fiennes and Finney, nobody has really paid much attention to it.

#107 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

I wonder if Olga comes back. The same Bond girl for two movies in a row? They're all for 'messing up the formula' it's a possibility.

#108 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

Jeez I'd love it if they did something really ballsy and unpredictable, like remaking Live and Let Die (this time with the pirates gold plot), or going period, or starting on Licence Renewed or one of the other Gardners (lots of unused - and used, apparently - material there, some of it quite good. Come on. Bond in the Artic, Bond being headhunted). What a shot in the arm. Either way the series would have a long term plan. Wouldn't it be great to know what the next five Bond films were going to be?

Nothing like this will happen of course. Which is kind of why I wish it would.

#109 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:38 PM

I wonder if Olga comes back. The same Bond girl for two movies in a row? They're all for 'messing up the formula' it's a possibility.

Babs has suggested it's a possibility - but only if it fits the story. It would certainly add a little bit of continuity.

But we haven't even seen the wannabe starlets who start rumours to get free publicity this year.

#110 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

I find it utterly bizarre that we're twelve hours out from the annoucement and we have no solid information on the Bond Girl. No rumour has really stuck - not even Berenice Marlohe. It's odd because there's usually a lot of attention directed towards it. I suppose that in the mass of stories about Bardem, Fiennes and Finney, nobody has really paid much attention to it.

Good point.

The casting, (and the press attention of the casting), has been very unusual this time. I suppose, the very notion that actors of the calibre of Bardem, Fiennes and Finney being in the next Bond film was bound to have eclipsed everything else. Still, it’s been interesting and certainly different, so far.

By the way, (it’s late enough for a bit of prediction), I’d bet that the rumours about the screen tested Chinese actresses were closest to the mark – I’m expecting to see one of the mentioned candidates tomorrow.

… and Berenice Marlohe, though I think she’ll have the less important Bond Girl role.

#111 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Well, there was that Serbian girl who claimed to be doing the theme song. And unless it's confirmed tomorrow that Marlohe has been cast, I will continue to assume that her involvement is a publicity stunt. But I agree, there's been much less hubbub in general about who the Bond girl will be. I suppose this might have something to do with the recent trend of casting unknown actresses. Back in the Brosnan era, it was taken for granted that the Bond girl would be played by a big-name actress, so it was easy and tempting to speculate. These days, it feels pointless to speculate, because it will probably turn out to be someone we've never heard of.

#112 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Or, just a thought. There is no Bond girl.

#113 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

No, there will probably be one. The tabloids are just distracted for now.

#114 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

Perhaps that's the "shocking" story element that we keep hearing a lot about in regards to this project.

I kind of doubt that they go without a Bond girl for this project, but I would very much welcome the break from formula and have Bond truly go after the villain completely on his own for a change.

#115 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

A Bond boy, then? "Kiki, lay out my travelling suit!"

Seriously though, I could easily imagine a Bond film with no main Bond girl, perhaps because other female characters are a more prominent part of the narrative. For instance, an expanded role for Moneypenny would fill the "strong female character" niche, and the requisite sexytimes would be delegated to minor female bit players, femmes fatales, cocktail waitresses, etc. In fact, it would be interesting to have a film in which the main sympathetic female character is not one of Bond's conquests, but merely a close platonic colleague. Some people would hate it, though.

#116 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

A Bond boy, then? "Kiki, lay out my travelling suit!"

Seriously though, I could easily imagine a Bond film with no main Bond girl, perhaps because other female characters are a more prominent part of the narrative. For instance, an expanded role for Moneypenny would fill the "strong female character" niche, and the requisite sexytimes would be delegated to minor female bit players, femmes fatales, cocktail waitresses, etc. In fact, it would be interesting to have a film in which the main sympathetic female character is not one of Bond's conquests, but merely a close platonic colleague. Some people would hate it, though.

Isn't that essentially QUANTUM OF SOLACE?

#117 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:34 AM

I suppose you're right. I guess it wasn't all that interesting after all, at least not to me. I haven't seen QOS since 2008. I'd forgotten that Kurylenko was never a Bond girl in the Biblical sense. Her backstory was so melodramatic, and her nemesis so one-dimensional, that she might as well have been. Kurylenko was wasted on that film. I agree with those who would like to see her character brought back.

#118 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:32 AM

Olga was extremely beautiful, but she was definitely wasted. She should've been in a different Bond movie as a different, sexier character with whom Bond does actually have sex. She was a bit like those BMWs in Goldeneye or TWINE that looked nice and teased a lot of features but weren't really used properly.

#119 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

She was a bit like those BMWs in Goldeneye or TWINE that looked nice and teased a lot of features but weren't really used properly.

Olga was used perfectly. If Bond had slept with her, it would have undone a lot of his characterisation, particularly the way he was in mourning for Vesper. Yes, I know he slept with Fields, but that was different - it was about needs. But Camille represented a possible future for Bond; should he choose revenge, he might get satisfaction out of knowing that the people responsible for Vesper's betrayal were dead, but he would have corrupted his cause. He never would have been able to return to being an agent if he took a life in cold blood. All of that was a lot more important than Bond sleeping with her.

#120 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:08 AM

She was a bit like those BMWs in Goldeneye or TWINE that looked nice and teased a lot of features but weren't really used properly.

Olga was used perfectly. If Bond had slept with her, it would have undone a lot of his characterisation, particularly the way he was in mourning for Vesper. Yes, I know he slept with Fields, but that was different - it was about needs. But Camille represented a possible future for Bond; should he choose revenge, he might get satisfaction out of knowing that the people responsible for Vesper's betrayal were dead, but he would have corrupted his cause. He never would have been able to return to being an agent if he took a life in cold blood. All of that was a lot more important than Bond sleeping with her.

No. You mean Camille was used perfectly. Olga was wasted on Camille. She should've been saved for a different Bond girl who wouldn't have simply been a platonic acquaintance. She should also have been in a better Bond film.