This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will Bond 23 Be Titled SKYFALL?

451 replies to this topic

Poll: IF SkyFall is the title of Bond 23...

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

...which is, as at 7 October 2011, still a girthsome IF... do you think it's

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Ultimately, do you think this rumour is...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#421 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

I tried to write Albert R. (Cubby) Broccoli once, and got a copyright symbol inside the parentheses.

But not this time.

Edited by AMC Hornet, 31 October 2011 - 02:46 AM.

#422 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

They also registered domain names for INVERTIGO, BULLET TRAIN and SHADOW GATE.

But not with the words ‘Bond’ and ‘James bond’ in the same address.

I do not understand about all the hype & big mystery of the next, up and coming BOND title. I can remember a time when this information was readily available at the and of the credits of the proceding movie.

#423 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

They also registered domain names for INVERTIGO, BULLET TRAIN and SHADOW GATE.

But not with the words ‘Bond’ and ‘James bond’ in the same address.

I do not understand about all the hype & big mystery of the next, up and coming BOND title. I can remember a time when this information was readily available at the and of the credits of the proceding movie.

Right, but they haven't done that for a good 20 or so years. Hence the mystery, and the hype of what the next title will be.

#424 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

When did they stop doing that, out of curiosity? And what made them quit doing it?

#425 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

When did they stop doing that, out of curiosity? And what made them quit doing it?

I think they stopped in 1985, but I'm not too sure. The reason being I think, is simple. They ran out of Fleming titles. The reason the producers could so easily decide what to do next is because they had a lot a readily available and un-filmed Bond books, and even if they didn't stay faithful to the story, they had titles at hand.

#426 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

I don't knoe exactly when they stopped, but it was probably around the time they ran out of Fleming titles. They could name the next film in advance, because they knew what it would be. But when there were no more Fleming titles, it got a whole lot harder to name films.

#427 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:37 AM

Octopussy ended with the announcement "James Bond will return in "From a View to a Kill."

A View to a Kill ended with "James Bond will return" and it's been that way ever since.

Title or no title, let's just hope the tradition continues (Dean Martin's fourth Matt Helm film ended with an announcement for 'the Ravagers' but it never happened - which was just as well).

#428 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:40 AM

I don't knoe exactly when they stopped, but it was probably around the time they ran out of Fleming titles. They could name the next film in advance, because they knew what it would be. But when there were no more Fleming titles, it got a whole lot harder to name films.

That would seem to be it exactly. The last time they provided the title for the film to follow was at the end of "Octopussy" when they announced Bond would return in "From A View To A Kill." It is strange that the end of "A View To A Kill" did not precisely refer to the next title as "The Living Daylights" as it seemed the next logical choice out of the remaining available titles (and may even have already been decided upon at that point but I'm not quite certain).

EDIT: I see I was slightly beaten to the punch by the above post!

#429 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

It is strange that the end of "A View To A Kill" did not precisely refer to the next title as "The Living Daylights" as it seemed the next logical choice out of the remaining available titles

Perhaps that was the next logical choice, but logic rarely comes into it. There was some uncertainty over the immediate future at the end of the film - Roger Moore had made it known that A VIEW TO A KILL would be his last outing as Bond, and so a new actor was needed. Dalton was approched, but turned it down because of commitments to BRENDA STARR. Pierce Brosnan was then offered the role, but "Remington Steele" was renewed when he was announced as Bond, so as to capitalise on Brosnan's sudden spike in popularity. Sam Neill and Lewis Collins were screen-tested, but then Dalton was re-approached with a new start date in mind, and he was able to wrap up filming BRENDA STARR in time (indeed, the new start date was probably chosen specifically so that Dalton could finish BRENDA STARR). Given that EON managed to produce THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS just two years after A VIEW TO A KILL, they no doubt started the seach for the fourth James Bond early, but they knew the process could be lengthy, and no doubt did not want to commit to a film title that might not hold up. And the short story of The Living Daylights was markedly different in tone to the preceding films, which were much more light-hearted. EON probably didn't know what the tone of the next film was going to be, so they played it safe. After all, the end credits of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME gave the title of the eleventh film as FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, but that became MOONRAKER in an effort to capitalise on the popularity of STAR WARS and the audience's sudden interest in space.

#430 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

It is strange that the end of "A View To A Kill" did not precisely refer to the next title as "The Living Daylights" as it seemed the next logical choice out of the remaining available titles

Perhaps that was the next logical choice, but logic rarely comes into it. There was some uncertainty over the immediate future at the end of the film - Roger Moore had made it known that A VIEW TO A KILL would be his last outing as Bond, and so a new actor was needed. Dalton was approched, but turned it down because of commitments to BRENDA STARR. Pierce Brosnan was then offered the role, but "Remington Steele" was renewed when he was announced as Bond, so as to capitalise on Brosnan's sudden spike in popularity. Sam Neill and Lewis Collins were screen-tested, but then Dalton was re-approached with a new start date in mind, and he was able to wrap up filming BRENDA STARR in time (indeed, the new start date was probably chosen specifically so that Dalton could finish BRENDA STARR). Given that EON managed to produce THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS just two years after A VIEW TO A KILL, they no doubt started the seach for the fourth James Bond early, but they knew the process could be lengthy, and no doubt did not want to commit to a film title that might not hold up. And the short story of The Living Daylights was markedly different in tone to the preceding films, which were much more light-hearted. EON probably didn't know what the tone of the next film was going to be, so they played it safe. After all, the end credits of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME gave the title of the eleventh film as FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, but that became MOONRAKER in an effort to capitalise on the popularity of STAR WARS and the audience's sudden interest in space.

All good points. It is also true that they considered an origin film, so they may have wanted an original story with an original title that did not tie back in anyway to the Fleming stories in which Bond's character was well-established.

#431 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

Perhaps that was the next logical choice, but logic rarely comes into it. There was some uncertainty over the immediate future at the end of the film - Roger Moore had made it known that A VIEW TO A KILL would be his last outing as Bond, and so a new actor was needed. Dalton was approched, but turned it down because of commitments to BRENDA STARR. Pierce Brosnan was then offered the role, but "Remington Steele" was renewed when he was announced as Bond, so as to capitalise on Brosnan's sudden spike in popularity. Sam Neill and Lewis Collins were screen-tested, but then Dalton was re-approached with a new start date in mind, and he was able to wrap up filming BRENDA STARR in time (indeed, the new start date was probably chosen specifically so that Dalton could finish BRENDA STARR).

I don't think Collins was tested for Daylights, was he? He was looked at in the early 80's, I think. There were a few other candidates for Daylights but I forget most of them.

#432 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:19 AM

I'm just going off the Wikipedia page "James Bond in film".

#433 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:35 AM

TAKE THIS WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT but in doing a search under the topic "Bond 23" on Twitter, I found there is one fellow (goes by the name of scouse007) who is claiming the title of Bond 23 has been leaked in code...Alpha-numeric...the numbers correspond to letters of the alphabet...15, 21, 19 (mistake here..should be 20), 15, 6, 20, 8, 5, 3, 12, 5, 1, 18, 19, 11, 25... When one works it out, adjusting for the mistake, it ends up as OUT OF THE CLEAR SKY...hmmm something Fleming considered instead of Moonraker... Now, I have my doubts about this but still though the excitement made me grab pen and paper and do some spy translating to figure this out... B)

#434 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

OUT OF THE CLEAR SKY. Hmmm. I really dunno what to think about it. Doesn't have that Bondain feel to it, neither does Skyfall though, but the latter sounds better. Nice Fleming link, though.

#435 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:42 AM

Yes indeed Mharkin.. Still though, we'll find out the truth though in less than 48 hours...can't wait! :)

#436 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:43 AM

Nice find, anyway, my friend! Good detective skills. :)

Yes, I'm rather excited, too. :D

#437 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

Could also be a further hint that it is indeed Skyfall. Like you said, only 2 days to go.

#438 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:52 AM

This person also says the following regarding the plot

Spoiler

But then 2 hours later claims
Spoiler

His credibility is in serious question.....

EXACTLY battleship...that's why I'm inclined to believe this is bogus.. EON themselves put out a statement saying Bond 23 would have NOTHING to do with Jeffrey Deaver's book.. :|

#439 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

Posted Image

"SKYFALL" is not Swedish for DOWNPOUR. "SPÖREGN" is Swedish for DOWNPOUR. Google Translate says so.

And I shouldn't have to add that EON have already shot down the notion of BOND 23 being CARTE BLANCHE.

#440 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:10 AM

LOL!! :D Nice one Captain... Yeah, "I smell something fishy...and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's Apple Crumble"- Capt. Edmund Blackadder..

#441 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

I probably should have stopped reading after "Swedish", considering that BOND 23 has no known connection to Sweden (so why would the title be "Swedish"?). The plot itself sounds like bad fan fiction, though it does bear a resmeblance to Anthony Burgess' rejected TSWLM script.

#442 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:01 AM

Someone should challenge him, ask how he "knows" all of this, and why he keeps contradicting himself.

#443 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

Out of the Clear Sky doesn't even pass the initialism test. Remember the rhyme we all learned in school:

Dinn, Frewl, Giff, Tibb, Yolt, Omiss, Daff
Lald, Tumwittigg, Tisswilm, and Murr for a laugh
Feeyo, Opp, Avtack, Tild, Litka, a pause,
Then Gee, Tind, Twine, and Dad, all with Broz
Ceer, Quoss, Ootkiss...

Ootkiss? That's just stupid.

Then again, maybe I'm the only non-institutionalized person who knows Bond films by their initials. I don't think, "Diamonds Are Forever was better than A View To A Kill", I think "Daff was beter than Avtak". Actually I don't, but you get the picture. Skyfall makes "Siff", which works fine, but how the hell do I pronounce OOTCS? This is a serious problem.

#444 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Out of the Clear Sky doesn't even pass the initialism test. Remember the rhyme we all learned in school:

Ceer, Quoss, Ootkiss...

Then again, maybe I'm the only non-institutionalized person who knows Bond films by their initials. I don't think, "Diamonds Are Forever was better than A View To A Kill", I think "Daff was beter than Avtak". Actually I don't, but you get the picture. Skyfall makes "Siff", which works fine, but how the hell do I pronounce OOTCS? This is a serious problem.

And which school is this? I know of none that teach such a rhyme (or would even bother to), or know of no-one who has learnt it in this way. It clearly can't be something we "all" learnt.

#445 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

Someone should challenge him, ask how he "knows" all of this, and why he keeps contradicting himself.

Or just ignore him.

#446 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

Ceer, Quoss, Ootkiss...

And which school is this? I know of none that teach such a rhyme (or would even bother to), or know of no-one who has learnt it in this way. It clearly can't be something we "all" learnt.

You must have been homeschooled. Everyone learns the Bond rhyme.

#447 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

I don't know exactly when they stopped, but it was probably around the time they ran out of Fleming titles. They could name the next film in advance, because they knew what it would be. But when there were no more Fleming titles, it got a whole lot harder to name films.

Obviously as other posters have mentioned, they stopped in 1985. All Bond fans know that. But not because they'd run out of Fleming titles. They still had several more of those. Albert R. Broccoli told Starlog magazine in a 1985 interview that they were considering several titles.

Perhaps that was the next logical choice, but logic rarely comes into it. There was some uncertainty over the immediate future at the end of the film - Roger Moore had made it known that A VIEW TO A KILL would be his last outing as Bond, and so a new actor was needed. Dalton was approched, but turned it down because of commitments to BRENDA STARR. Pierce Brosnan was then offered the role, but "Remington Steele" was renewed when he was announced as Bond, so as to capitalise on Brosnan's sudden spike in popularity. Sam Neill and Lewis Collins were screen-tested, but then Dalton was re-approached with a new start date in mind, and he was able to wrap up filming BRENDA STARR in time (indeed, the new start date was probably chosen specifically so that Dalton could finish BRENDA STARR).

But most of this was long after the decision not to identify the next film's title in AVTAK's credits. Your post makes it seem like the Brosnan-Dalton-Remington-Steele ruckus happened in 1985.

Given that EON managed to produce THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS just two years after A VIEW TO A KILL, they no doubt started the seach for the fourth James Bond early, but they knew the process could be lengthy, and no doubt did not want to commit to a film title that might not hold up. And the short story of The Living Daylights was markedly different in tone to the preceding films, which were much more light-hearted. EON probably didn't know what the tone of the next film was going to be, so they played it safe. After all, the end credits of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME gave the title of the eleventh film as FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, but that became MOONRAKER in an effort to capitalise on the popularity of STAR WARS and the audience's sudden interest in space.

This theory I like and agree with. While I miss the credit announcing the title of the next film I've always believed the producers should use as much of the story as possible in the film. Using the title - or a major fragment of it - and nothing else displeases me.

#448 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

"Skyfall"?? Hmmm....lacks punch, don't ya' think?

It's misdirection, folks. Simply the Sony flacks trying to stir up buzz, while at the same time engaging in a shell game. And internet "news" sites are all too willing to fill their empty pages. Registering a pile of fake domain names costs mere pennies.

The real title is securely under wraps. You don't think EON would let it slip that easily and spoil all the fun, now do you?

Besides, with this being the 50th anniversary Bond film, the real title will have far more resonance than "Skyfall". Sounds more like a bad '80s-era TV show, than a James Bond film.

The real title of "Bond 23" will have a Fleming link for the 50th. Trust me.

I love you.

#449 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Really Jim? Are we doing 'told you so'?

#450 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR