This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will Bond 23 Be Titled SKYFALL?

451 replies to this topic

Poll: IF SkyFall is the title of Bond 23...

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

...which is, as at 7 October 2011, still a girthsome IF... do you think it's

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Ultimately, do you think this rumour is...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#391 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

It seems more like the title of a Bond continuation novel, or a Bond computer game, than the title of Bond 23, quite frankly. If it is the real deal - a big IF - then I wish it didn't seem like the name of a bucket shop, 50p per seat plus extortionate expenses, cheap flight airline. :)

I'm with you, though an airline is none too bloody likely to pick a name like skyFALL.

Skyfall is an appalling title. Everything Loomis said several pages back sums it up for me. It's the sort of title that gets funny looks and I have to spell it out loud so people can understand what I've said. (over-enunciating) SKY-FALLLLLLLLLL. Ess, kay, why, eff, ay, el, el. All those initial hard consonants. You want hard consonants at the end, not have the title drift off with "lllllllllll".

Amazed around 40% like the title. More telling... approximately 45% don't think it's the real title.

Okay, now that I've got that and the Amis-YOLT script nonsense off my chest I think I'll go back to lurking.

Thank You Sir. Agreed Here As Well. :tup: :tup:

#392 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

They also registered domain names for INVERTIGO, BULLET TRAIN and SHADOW GATE.

But not with the words ‘Bond’ and ‘James bond’ in the same address.

OO7 Magazine speculates that they're going w/the title, PROPERTY OF A LADY.

#393 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

I’d suggest they buy jamesbond-propertyofalady.com and jamesbondpropertyofalady.com then. Both domains are languishing unsold. They could make a few quid selling them on to Sony if they are so certain.

Personally, I doubt very much that it will be called that.

What exactly did 007 Mag say? Was is just them guessing or do they claim some inside info?

#394 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

I'd love for that to happen but I honestly don't believe it.

#395 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

You want hard consonants at the end, not have the title drift off with "lllllllllll".

You mean like "Thunderballlllllllll"?

#396 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

You want hard consonants at the end, not have the title drift off with "lllllllllll".

Or "GoldenEyeeeeeeee"?

#397 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

Or "GoldenEyeeeeeeee"?

NO. Those two titles have multiple syllables. Several pages ago a regular contributor explained that the best single word titles have THREE syllables. The middle syllable is the "weak" non-stressed syllable (Except for "Moonraker", but see my next point.) Most of the single word titles have a hard consonant gateway to the final syllable ("Risico", "Moonraker"). Thunderball and Goldeneye are distinct and easily said. (What if "Thunderball" had been "Thunderfall"?) The "eye" in "Goldeneye" ends stronger than "fall". Skyfall sounds too much like scuffle and requires too much enunciation. The "eye" syllable nucleus in SKY-fall feels seriously wrong attached to and followed by "awl".

Edited by glidrose, 26 October 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#398 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

Sounds like a bunch of nitpicking to me.

#399 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

Press conference could be coming as early as next week:

"Ooh, big James Bond launch event next week. With cast etc. I guess they'll probably reveal title too. Think I can find the time!"

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/lizo_mzimba/status/129520386919510016

#400 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

"Ooh, big James Bond launch event next week. With cast etc. I guess they'll probably reveal title too. Think I can find the time!"

Very interesting.

Posted by Lizo Mzimba who’s a BBC journalist who has worked on things like Newsround. He now reports on entertainment for Breakfast. He’s visited the Bond set before; he’d certainly know if there was such an event next week.

File this under true! It deserves its own thread this one.

#401 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

Wow that's great. Can't wait. Will there be a way to follow it, a direct broadcast or something like that ?

#402 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

Wow that's great. Can't wait. Will there be a way to follow it, a direct broadcast or something like that ?

Last time the BBC’s dedicated News channel cut to it live throughout the afternoon. And showed lots of recorded segments - interviews, tour of the sets, bits of the conference, the b-roll…

Sky News too, if I remember rightly.

#403 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

it's next thursday.. so in a week we'll know the title of bond 23 once and for all.

#404 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

[quote name='David Schofield' timestamp='1317814364' post='1166804']
Enough evidence presented here for me.

OK Ick!!!

This title is like WORSE than liver!!!

#405 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

How else shall I criticize the title, oh wise one?

Edited by glidrose, 27 October 2011 - 10:57 PM.

#406 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

I commend Glidrose for taking the trouble to explain why he dislikes the title. A lot of people just say "it's stupid" and don't explain why they feel that way. They just act like it's a self-evident matter of good taste.

Having said that, I'm increasingly warming to Skyfall. Setting aside its phonetic qualities, I like the way it looks, especially when spelled in upper case. It has a sharp, angular, runic appearance. It's stark and Germanic, like the name "James Bond" itself. The etymology is impeccably Germanic - the perfect counterpoint to the Latinate frippery of Quantum of Solace. I think Fleming would approve.

#407 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

I’ve been thinking about Skyfall and where it comes from and it has led me to the following…

The story of Chicken-licken (or Henny Penny or whatever) and the sky falling is all about one person (if I may call this domestic fowl a person here) believing in something that is false. She then tells another person, who tells another and another, until a whole gaggle end up going the wrong way believing in something that was never the case - The sky falling falsity gaining credence simple because more and more were saying it.

It’s all a bit like the way a false rumour spreads on the internet and in the media, no?

For this reason, I now believe that Skyfall is not just a decoy but a self-confessed decoy.

Some would say, “Why would Eon go to such trouble when they have a gigantic job on their hands making the new Bond film?”
Well, they haven’t - a brand protection company are responsible. They were told to keep the title secret and this is part of how they have chosen to do it.

Secondly, it’s not a lot of trouble really – they just registered a few domain names relatively cheaply and sent a few tip-offs to web sites that they knew would be interested. From that small falling acorn, a mighty oak of deception grew.

Why use a pre-school fable as the clue hidden in plain view? Well, they have little to lose if it didn’t work and if it does (and it has so far)…
They leave Chicken-licken’s egg on the face of everyone who Skyfell for it.

#408 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, but... why would they do that? What would be the point?

#409 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, but... why would they do that? What would be the point?

Because EON like to keep things secret until they're ready to reveal them. It underwhelms a little bit when you hold a press conference to unveil your big, top secret title that everyone on the internet has known about for three weeks already. And with all the terrible rumors that crop up every time there's a new Bond film, it'd be EON's way of saying "See? Don't believe anything you read on the internet".

#410 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

I've never understood the hoax theory. How is planting a phony title a better way of keeping the title secret than just not revealing it? People who are skeptical of the fake title will still keep digging for clues about the real one, so you're not throwing anyone off the scent. To me, this smacks too much of fanboy conspiracy theories. I could believe that this is a working title that they're protecting in case they can't come up with a real one. but I can't buy that it's a deliberate plant. It just doesn't seem worth anyone's time or effort.

#411 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

I think it's a fanboy fantasy that Danjaq is going through any Machiavellian machinations to throw fans off. They don't give a [censored]. They got a movie to make and they are not going to waste time, money, and manpower on plots to confuse "the internet." If I had to bet I'd say the title is going to be Skyfall. Or at least that's a title they've considered. They may have register a dozen possible titles, just to have the options.

#412 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

I don't see how the long-term benefits of deliberately deceiving the public (for all of a month) would justify the bother. It's not as if a stunning bluff in October of 2011 would result, a year later, in a higher level of enthusiasm for the film's release. I suppose the surprise of a previously unknown title might result in marginally more coverage of the press conference, but outside of Bond fans, the response would probably be momentary confusion, not thrilled shock.

Also, Eon would have to be very confident of the superiority of their secret title, because if it were revealed to be something like Risico or Property of a Lady, the average reaction would be "Oh, is that supposed to be better?"

By far the simplest explanation is that Skyfall is the title. If it isn't, I'll listen to the Beatles without earmuffs.

#413 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

People who are skeptical of the fake title will still keep digging for clues about the real one, so you're not throwing anyone off the scent.

It depends how deeply the ruse goes. People might go looking for clues, but if EON are laying a false trail, they're not just going to stop at having a domain name registered. They control the flow of information, so they can mislead the people who leak that information into believing SKYFALL is the title. It' a bit like when George Lucas "let slip" that the title of EPISODE VI - then known by the working title "Blue Harvest" - was REVENGE OF THE JEDI, the idea being to prevent knock-off merchandise from emerging because the fake title would immediately be spotted as a fake by fans of the series. EON know that in the day and age of Twitter and social media, things will be picked up very quickly if they're not careful. They already have plenty of experience fending off bottom-feeders like Baz Bamigboye and all the other tabloid hacks; they just have to apply their anti-leak countermeasures differently. They know the sources that information usually leaks from, so if they feed false information to those sources, the actual information is protected.

#414 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

I think it's a fanboy fantasy that Danjaq is going through any Machiavellian machinations to throw fans off. They don't give a [censored]. They got a movie to make and they are not going to waste time, money, and manpower on plots to confuse "the internet."

But (as I said above) I don’ t think Eon/Danjaq have done this – Mark Monitor, the brand protection company have. They will have been asked to secure all domain names that relate to the title and to keep it a secret. Yet they failed to buy obvious addresses such as skyfall007.com and as for keeping it out of the press… well, they haven’t succeeded there, by any stretch of the imagination. I honestly believe that such a company would/should be better at their job.

I don't see how the long-term benefits of deliberately deceiving the public

I don’t think it’s intended to have any long-term benefits, it’s simply intended to distract for a few weeks. And it’s worked.

Don’t people think that it’s at least strange that the supposed title, Skyfall, comes from the key phrase in a little story intended to teach young children not to believe everything they hear? They may as well have been really cheeky and spread the story that it was going to be called Scarlet Fish. But if they’d done that in the same way, I expect we’d still be having this exchange, but with “red herring” in place of “the sky is falling.”

#415 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

They will have been asked to secure all domain names that relate to the title and to keep it a secret. Yet they failed to buy obvious addresses such as skyfall007.com

Unless somebody else registered it for EON. MarkMonitor can't be the only company of its kind in the world.

and as for keeping it out of the press… well, they haven’t succeeded there, by any stretch of the imagination.

When the QUNATUM OF SOLACE title was discovered, it was discovered 24 hours before the press conference. And yet, "Skyfall" was discovered three months before the press conference. You would think that EON would be keen to keep the title out of the media, so why the massive oversight? There was never any talk that "Skyfall" was a title possibility until those domains were discovered. And then suddenly it was in the public consciousness. Have we heard any title talk since the "Skyfall" discovery? I haven't heard anything substantial. There's the odd magazine that will claim "The Property of a Lady" is a favourite, but they're neve backed up by anything, and there's never any follow-through; one article is run, and that's it. It's entirely possible that EON intended for "Skyfall" to be discovered all along, knowing that publications like The Sun and The Daily Mail would pounce on anything that they thought would give them bragging rights to breaking a story. We saw it with that Serbian cellist, and the way her claims were re-posted on dozens of websites. What better way to get people to accept a bogus title than to "let it slip" the same way as it did last time? EON may feel that it was about time they started using the tabloids, rather than having the tabloids use them.

#416 George88

George88

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Too weary to analyse it. I quite like it, but if they come up with something else, I'm sure that will be acceptable to my undeclared and whimsical
standards too.

#417 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

I think it's a fanboy fantasy that Danjaq is going through any Machiavellian machinations to throw fans off. They don't give a [censored]. They got a movie to make and they are not going to waste time, money, and manpower on plots to confuse "the internet." If I had to bet I'd say the title is going to be Skyfall. Or at least that's a title they've considered. They may have register a dozen possible titles, just to have the options.

Yes, quite. They have better things to do.

#418 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:22 AM

^ Agree with you both. I will be surprised if Skyfall isn't the title.

With all of this 2012 end of the world hoo-ha it does seem rather apt.

#419 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:06 AM

Whether SkyFall is the real title or not, EON has everyone talking about it, so either:

a) We'll accept SkyFall as the title, because we've already had time to get used to the idea,
or
B) *When the real title is announced, the correction will spread like wildfire, as everyone who has been talking about it will be watching for word from the press conference.

In any event, EON uses the internet for free publicity, and why not? As Captain T said above, let the tabloids work for them, rather than against.

"Brilliant! I'm almost speechless with admiration!" (Minus the sarcasm)

* Why did I get an emoticon when I put a b after a )?

Edited by AMC Hornet, 30 October 2011 - 05:09 AM.

#420 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

Because a "B" and a ")" together is the code for that particular emoticon. Just as a ":" and an "S" is code for another one.