#31 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 12:45 AM

Originally posted by 11 11
If Connery would have made OHMSS, then DAF, then quit, then people would have loved Lazenby, as he looked so much younger and so much more attractive than Connery at that point. Also Roger would have never been Bond then.

If Connery had played Bond in both OHMSS and DAF, we'd have one more pivotal film marred by a fat old man who didn't want to play the role. DAF already screwed over the revenge aspect of YOLT that it 'should' have been focused on, I'd rather not think about what OHMSS would turn out as...

JAMES BOND looks at the all-you-can-eat buffet at Piz Gloria, looking from one food to the next:

BOND: Chicken, Nine o'clock...Beef, ten o'clock...

The WAITER walks by with the dessert cart--Bond EYES the pies;

BOND: Eleven o'clock...

#32 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 12:57 AM

I too would have preferred to see Lazenby in DAF, and LALD for that matter. I think they would have both been better films.

#33 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 03:58 AM

I think Lazenby should've done DAF and TMWTGG as his next two. Then the revenge/brainwashing plots could have been intact and added so much to the films. LALD could've come after TMWTGG.

#34 Jamie007

Jamie007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 06:39 AM

To tell you the truth. having seen that film dozens of times, I didnt really notice Connery being out of shape until I read it on this forum. I still dont think he looks that bad.
Jim

#35 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 07:28 PM

If I was alive in 1967, and had seen how close they stayed to Fleming's ideas, I would have never watched another Bond movie after YOLT. But then I would've missed out on OHMSS. Oh, who cares, then I would have been subjected to Fattery...Sean Fattery in DAF. Everybody knows that they should've just brought Moore in in 1969, and make sure that whoever he was, should've spent the entire DAF avenging Tracy. Or, they could've had a nine year old Brosnan in Dr. No, right from the start, and we'd be up to date.

#36 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:43 PM

Ok, Connery's look in YOLT is bad, but nothing tops Diamonds.
Wouldn't it have been funny if Connery would have turned around on the water bed and :) :)

#37 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 09:22 PM

women still found he attractive then and still do now . so what's the point he was a bit out of shape. He still was better than Roger Moore even after a face lift. Just ask Jill St John have fat Connery was!!!

#38 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 10:07 PM

when did moore have a facelift????????

#39 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 04:10 PM

I guess some where between Octopussy and his swansong AVTAK. If one looks at him very close , it's like 2 different people are in the movie. Not counting his stunt doubles. The most strenuous thing he did in the film was walk. Then call for his stunt doubles. Just look at the stills from the film.

#40 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 06:58 PM

Those aren't stills, that's Roger Moore's corpse.

#41 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 08:58 PM

:) point taken. that was funny. thanks for the laugh.

#42 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 01:43 PM

The funny thing is, I was born in 1971. I loooove Roger Moore. It bugs me when people say that DAF was really like a "Moore" movie for Connery. Not exactly. After DAF, I think they tried to make Moore like funny Connery. But, growing up, Roger was the man. Connery was that old guy. I've come to love them all, but you get the point.

#43 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:07 PM

I remember Connery in YOLT ,which i saw in the movie house. Had a James Bond doll . Recall when Lazenby took over the role . I remember very well Moore becoming Bond in 1973 . Saw both LALD and TMWTGG . BY the time of AVTAK he was finished and wabted to retire . Broccoli "asked " him to do one more . since there was no else . This is the same problem that "we" as Bond fans willl face in 2005 after Bond 21. will Brosnan be "over the hill" . Yet the original question was Connery "fat in DAF". Since he was a former Bodybuilder , and his weight gain is documented via his films . Just look at YOLT as compared to Goldfinger or earlier . I would still classify him not as fat but more "barrel chested" in DAF. Again let's ask's Jill st .JOhn what she thought .

#44 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 03:00 PM

Barrell-chested is being very, very kind. Barrell-bellied is another way to look at it.
It's not that he was "fat", someone else said they'd love to look like him at a comparable age, and that's true. But for a guy who's supposed to be timeless, the fall was too fast. That's why we keep changing Bonds...we want him to be young and thin. He's a superhero, even though he's flawed. Could you picture a pudgy Spiderman?
The change from YOLT and DAF was too dramatic. The early seventies clothes were not flattering, either. Remember also, it was 4 years, not 1 or 2 which would've been more gradual.
I still think that the problem is that the movie stunk. When I watch it I concentrate on so many things that are wrong with it. It fails on so many levels.
Let me put it this way, a thin Connery does NOT save that movie.

#45 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 03:15 PM

Timeless , then once again please explain Roger Moore. By the time that AVTAK rolled a round he was "mummified". So that throughout your timeless character of a window. The Problem with the Bond 's is that every one is on someone short list to play him .But when you examine the choices it can be a eye opening one. Moore just maked it as Bond since the Producer's and UA did not want another Lazenby . I doubt that Connery would have been any good or better in LALD or TMWTGG. And this is the real problem we face now , it Brosnan "woke " one day and said no more i want to do Hamlet . who could replace he , the names that are place about here and there(this Website included) . The prospect are not that good ,example I like Ruppert Everret (?) . He has the "classic "good loks for a good Bond , very good actor , physically seems very fit .Why not boys and girls ? He a open homosexual . I am not against gays , no it's the choice of the Producers . I believe ,even through there would be no film industry with gays. That the producers are not that open minded. So then who. Both Moore and Conery , with all their faults ,hung on to the role longer than they even what too.

#46 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 07:27 PM

Very true about Moore being too old. Definitely hung on too long. But everyone agrees that AVTAK stunk. I just wish that more people would realize the same about DAF. Loved them both (Connery, Moore) in their prime.
I don't have a problem with Everett, he'll just have to be one Hell of an actor, because they'd better not stray from Bond's womanizing, just because the actor's gay.
But who cares, Hugh Jackman's the man, unless he's too old when Pierce hangs it up. No question about it.
But you know what this all means??? Pierce had better not hang on too long, and you can already see it, he's not gettin' any younger. It might be time.
I don't know if you're a sports fan, but don't go out like Willie Mays, go out like Dr. J, Pierce!!! One or two more, and that's it.

#47 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 08:43 PM

We all need to remember one very important thing....make up.

They can do a lot with make-up deciding how Bond looks.

I know the females on this board do not want to hear this but, I saw Brosnan on television at some awards thing, without his makeup on, you know just how he looks normally in real life, right before DAD started shooting, and let me tell you..

He had so many wrinkles it was unreal, his hair was completely gray all over, his face looked bloated, he looked like he weighed well over 200 pounds, his nose was all swollen, he needed a hair cut and a shave badly, his hair was all oily looking, etc.

Then all of a sudden DAD comes out and he looks like a GQ cover model.

Just because Moore or Brosnan may be 50 +year old Bonds, does not mean they look it due to the make up artists.

Brosnan in real life already looks way too old to play Bond, but then they die his hair, make up, lights, clothes to make him look lighter, etc. and bam he is Bond.

So the Moore is 55 or 57 or Brosnan who will now be over 50 in future Bond movies is a little decieving from how they look with the make up.

#48 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 08:31 PM

Yack, yack, yack. COnnery looked pretty good at 42. I'd kill to look that good myself at that age. Quit your complaining. People who cast stones at glass houses....

#49 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 10:19 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Yack, yack, yack.  Connery looked pretty good at 42.  I'd kill to look that good myself at that age.  Quit your complaining.  People who cast stones at glass houses....

Fat , 42 years old , cheap wig . looking totally bored . If that how you care too look, then go for it.

#50 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 10:48 PM

WOW... imagining lazenby doing the pre titles of DAF is very cool! That film would have fit him like a glove. I've always loved DAF though (despite how connery looked, and that damn pink tie), in fact it is one of my all time favorite bond scores.

Rich

#51 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Rich Douglas
WOW... imagining lazenby doing the pre titles of DAF is very cool!  That film would have fit him like a glove.  I've always loved DAF though (despite how connery looked, and that damn pink tie), in fact it is one of my all time favorite bond scores.
Rich

Had Lazenby continue in the role it would have been a different pre-title . Revenge motive in effect . With Connery there is no mention of "Tracy" , and why he is after Blofeld . It is just another MI6 assassination . I love the score also . it's the redeeming feature of the film . Connery proves that money isn't everything . He was paid a fortune (1 Million plus and part of the percentage of box-office and a 3 pic film deal) . Connery still looks like a man who would rather have his fingernails pulled out . And the Homo-hit man team of Kidd and Wint isn't terrribly funny either.

#52 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 05:03 PM

Oh, the movie sucked, too. I pick on Connery too, but a good script would've probably saved him embarassment, regardless of how he looked.

#53 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Jriv71
Oh, the movie sucked, too.  I pick on Connery too, but a good script would've probably saved him embarassment, regardless of how he looked.

This was the end of the good scripts for Bond . Since the producers felt that OHMSS was not within the formula . And was a box-office failure.

#54 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 09:12 PM

Imagine if OHMSS had been made after Thunderball where it belonged. Maybe, just maybe, we would have gotten the Connery-OHMSS we've all dreamed about. Then YOLT would have been the revenge-film in the style of Fleming's book. As it stands, Lazenby was the right choice for OHMSS and UA bought Connery's services at a high price for DAF instead of having the stones to continue the series with someone else. In the end, DAF was a poor attempt at returning to the Goldfinger glitz and glory. Sure, Connery doesn't look his best, but let's assign blame where it belongs- Guy Hamilton! Try to watch DAF, LALD and TMWTGG in a row. These were the low points in the series.

#55 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 05:37 AM

it's the combo of Hamilton and Mankiewicz...just look how weird and small time their trio of films are...

#56 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:58 AM

"Had Lazenby continued in the role " DAF would have been the last Bond movie ever made and this website wouldn't exist...

Face it, no one wanted Lazenby...that's why DAF made more money then OHMSS, the audience were releved that Bond was played by a decent actor once again.

#57 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 01:26 PM

Originally posted by rafterman
it's the combo of Hamilton and Mankiewicz...just look how weird and small time their trio of films are...

Great point! I could never reconcile Goldfinger with the rest of them. Of course! The difference is Mankiewicz.

#58 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 02:52 AM

Bond unwrapps his bod in front of Miss Tiffany Case who looks on approvingly...

Tiffany: "I'm very impressed, there's a lot more to you than I imagined"

Perhaps she was refering to something other than the fact that James has plenty O'Toole?

#59 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 07:03 PM

Originally posted by rafterman

No, no, no...It was all Mankiewicz. Remember Hamilton gave us Goldfinger, which was written by the great Richard Maibaum, from the excellent book from Ian Fleming. Mankiewicz was all wrong for a Bond movie.

#60 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 07:07 PM

Connery looks bloody awful in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, and has all the charm of a wet weekend in Scunthorpe. He comes across as so bored and in-it-for-the-money that Moore in A VIEW TO A KILL seems the picture of youth and vitality by comparison. DAF may have coined it in, but it's perhaps the most lifeless and boring of all the Bond films (well, along with THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH).