343 replies to this topic

#301 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Kathryn Bigalow would be an excellent choice and her film "Zero Dark Thirty" looks like it will be really good. I think she could direct a James Bond film.

#302 Aisforauric

Aisforauric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I'd like to see Mimi Leder helm a Bond film. Her incredibly classy and vastly underrated (IMHO) 'The Peacemaker' was almost a Bond film in structure, story, dialogue and action.....

#303 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

More convincing news that Mendes will at least be taking part in the next film,

“I know that John Logan and Sam Mendes have come up with a plot for another one, which takes the pressure off because these films take up a lot of time.”

http://screencrave.c...ames-bond-film/

Edited by DominicGreene, 19 November 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#304 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

I would not be surprise if Sam Mendes come back.....I am sure some of his idea from Skyfall could be translate to Bond 24 as they did not all fit. I sure DAniel have some ideas that could be in Bond 24 that was left out from Skyfall too....obviously they wont confirm nor deny this to us

#305 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

I am all for having Sam Mendes back for another.

#306 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Here is a shocker; I'm not overly thrilled about Mendes and would prefer he did NOT return.

Edit; Added;

I just wasn't overly thrilled about SF, I liked it and think it was well directed but I feel like he is getting more credit then he might deserve.

Edited by S K Y F A L L, 21 November 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#307 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Anyone else think that Dark Knight Rises was a Bond movie in disguise? Christopher Nolan would be a great fit for Craig; however, with John Logan writing 24 & 25 there's no way Nolan would agree to make them because he'd undoubtedly like to rewrite the script.

Latest news is that Mendes worked with Logan on the plot for 24; he'll likely return, but I do hope they pick another director - variety is the spice of life! Danny Boyle would be an interesting choice but I'm not sure he can do Bond - although Boyle is the most versatile British director working today, perhaps he'd be brilliant?

Here is a shocker; I'm not overly thrilled about Mendes and would prefer he did NOT return.

Edit; Added;

I just wasn't overly thrilled about SF, I liked it and think it was well directed but I feel like he is getting more credit then he might deserve.

Agreed! Mendes did a great job but is being over-rated - Martin Campbell did a better all-round job with CR. Mendes may well improve if given a second chance, but I think the current Bond films benefit hugely from changing directors, a strategy which helps keep the franchise fresh.

#308 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Here's my list:
- Tom Hooper (Imagine a Bond film with all the power of The King's Speech?) - Disagree; Hooper isn't the Bond type.
- Kenneth Branagh (One of my favourite actors, and he's proven to be a good director with films that range from Shakesphere to Thor) - Good God no! Branagh's melodramatic at emotion, corny at humour and okay-but-unimaginative at action. We'd have the most irritating Bond film ever.
- Joe Wright (Haven't seen any of his work, but from the clips of Hanna I've seen and what I've heard, he's welcomed in my books) - Yeah, why not? Anna Karenina and The Soloist were quite rubbish; Atonement very overrated. Hanna is quite excellent though.
- Edgar Wright (Love his work, just wonder if his style would clash too much with Bond?) - He's too much of a comedy director to want to do a Craig Bond, I think. PLus he's hella busy.
- Brad Bird (I still can't believe he's directing Mission 4, but he would be perfect, although I've heard first hand accounts that he's a bit eccentric) - he's out of the running, schedule-wise, but after MI-4 I have to say I want him to stay away from Craig's Bond...bring Bird in for the inevitable Brosnan/Moore-ish successor.
- Christopher Nolan (A list wouldn't be complete without his name, but I'm gonna keep dreaming - pun intended) - Oh I'd love this but he really isn't going to make a Bond without writing it himself.
- Jonathan Nolan (Unlike his brother, a bit more realistic as he hasn't directed a feature yet although he came close to directing Superman) - See above; should probably get some more directing experience first.

#309 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

I would like to gauge everyone's thoughts on Rupert Wyatt. He did a great job on Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. Good storyteller.

- ooh, interesting!

Kathryn Bigalow would be an excellent choice and her film "Zero Dark Thirty" looks like it will be really good. I think she could direct a James Bond film.

- I think the problem with Bigelow is that she's American. Look at the Bond films and they traditionally go for a British Commonwealth director (with the exception of QoS) because the producers are always looking for someone who understands 'Britishness'. As great a director as Bigelow is, I'm not sure the producers would go for her; and I'm not sure she'd get the Britishness very well.

Although SF made me chuckle with its Americanisms; not certain many directors truly get 'Britishness' (heck I don't really know what they mean and I'm British) these days, so I don't see a problem with an (anglophilic) American Bond director.

#310 QOS4EVER

QOS4EVER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Anyone else think that Dark Knight Rises was a Bond movie in disguise?Christopher Nolan would be a great fit for Craig

Whatever it was , It was breath taking !
It played out on such a grand scale.

#311 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

'The Dark Knight Rises' was underwhelming and a sour ending to a great (to an extent) trilogy. Poor Conclusion IMO

#312 EyesOnly

EyesOnly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

'The Dark Knight Rises' was underwhelming and a sour ending to a great (to an extent) trilogy. Poor Conclusion IMO

I agree 100%. TDKR failed for me in quite a few ways. Still think Begins is the best of the lot.

#313 QOS4EVER

QOS4EVER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

I agree 100%. TDKR failed for me in quite a few ways. Still think Begins is the best of the lot.

I absoloutely loved it,
To each his own

#314 Aisforauric

Aisforauric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Ditto...

#315 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

Agreed. I had problems with TDKR. A lot of them have to do with being a comic book reader and Nolan taking too many liberties with the original characters in this one (I am looking at you, Tom Hardy and Marion Cotillard) but there were also many basic story structure and pacing problems that drove me to distraction. The plot holes in the third act were big enough to drive a truck through. Plus the entire second act was a flabby mess that lacked a strong central character. I

That said, I LOVED Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle. She WAS the comic book's Catwoman. No cat powers or lame revenge plot. Just a skilled thief with a smartass attitude and a gimmick. Very Bond-ish, I thought.

But Nolan as a Bond director? I don't know. He certainly loves the franchise. But he needs to work on his action sequences.

Instead of some prestige artsy director, how about a straightforward, unpretentious action director like Joe Carnahan (yes he's American, but so what?) or Roger Donaldson? What's Philip Noyce been up to lately?

#316 EyesOnly

EyesOnly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

Joe Carnahan impressed me with "The Grey"...a Carnahan/Craig Bond movie sounds uber interesting. Doubt EON would ever consider him though.

#317 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

Joe Carnahan impressed me with "The Grey"...a Carnahan/Craig Bond movie sounds uber interesting. Doubt EON would ever consider him though.

I'm curious to see his upcoming 'Death Wish' remake with Frank Grillo sometime between 2013-2014, should be interesting. He's come a long way from great 'Narc' to assassin heavy 'Smokin' Aces' to the fun and entertaining 'The A-Team' and to the powerful and intense 'The Grey'.

Shame his adaption of the James Elroy novel 'White Jazz' never came to fruition, was really looking forward to that as well as 'Killing Pablo' with Edgar Ramirez and Christian Bale.

#318 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Strangely enough, after seeing A Single Man, I'm curious to see what a Tom Ford directed Bond movie would be like. I don't know if he could do action but it would be a fascinating take.

#319 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Strangely enough, after seeing A Single Man, I'm curious to see what a Tom Ford directed Bond movie would be like. I don't know if he could do action but it would be a fascinating take.

Hm, Bond walking around in a perfume ad? at least the suits would look better than ever.

#320 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

ComingSoon: Zombieland/Gangster Squad director Ruben Fleischer on why he's interested in making the Spy Hunter video game movie:

"If I can make any movie, it would be a James Bond movie. I've always loved the genre but I don't think they'll hire an American to direct a James Bond movie, I've been told, so for me, 'Spy Hunter' is an opportunity to create a new spy franchise."

#321 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

It's a good idea for American directors to do it that way, hopefully one will do a Man From Uncle movie one day.

#322 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

I know that Bond girls are generally unknown, but I think Anne Hathaway could be a Bond girl. She is sexy (her performance of Catwoman is evidence of that) Plus she could totally kick Bond's ass. She could be another female agent or something. Obviously won't happen, but still.

#323 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

I know that Bond girls are generally unknown, but I think Anne Hathaway could be a Bond girl. She is sexy (her performance of Catwoman is evidence of that) Plus she could totally kick Bond's ass. She could be another female agent or something. Obviously won't happen, but still.

So you want Anne Hathaway to direct a Bond film?

#324 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

So you want Anne Hathaway to direct a Bond film?

Nah it's just a random comment I decided to throw into this conversation.. :P

I don't think I would like Christopher Nolan to direct a Bond movie I just don't think that would be a good idea.

There I am back on topic :D

#325 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Nolan is overexposed and slightly overrated. It seems that everyone wants him directing every film in Hollywood like he's a godsend. I'll sit through it, but if Tom Hardy is ever cast as Bond, I'm out.

#326 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Tom Hardy would make a great villain, at least I think so.

#327 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

If Taratino could do for Bond what he just did for JANGO Unchained...................... all I could say is WOW! For those of you who grew up on the westerns done at the same time as the Connery classics you will know what I mean. Just the confidence in the use of the classic Spaghetti Western music was inspirational. Not to mention DeCaprio as the scariest bondesque villain that never was.

#328 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hardy would be a great villain and quite frankly I would rather have Lee Tamahori direct another Bond film before Christopher Nolan or QT.

Edited by seawolfnyy, 20 December 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#329 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

I absoloutely loved it,
To each his own

I also liked it for the most part, but hey I also thought they shouldn't be ending the franchise yet. I thought they still had 2 more films left in it but it did end nicely IMO. 

Agreed. I had problems with TDKR. A lot of them have to do with being a comic book reader and Nolan taking too many liberties with the original characters in this one (I am looking at you, Tom Hardy and Marion Cotillard) but there were also many basic story structure and pacing problems that drove me to distraction. The plot holes in the third act were big enough to drive a truck through. Plus the entire second act was a flabby mess that lacked a strong central character. I

That said, I LOVED Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle. She WAS the comic book's Catwoman. No cat powers or lame revenge plot. Just a skilled thief with a smartass attitude and a gimmick. Very Bond-ish, I thought.

But Nolan as a Bond director? I don't know. He certainly loves the franchise. But he needs to work on his action sequences.

Instead of some prestige artsy director, how about a straightforward, unpretentious action director like Joe Carnahan (yes he's American, but so what?) or Roger Donaldson? What's Philip Noyce been up to lately?

Roger Donaldson is to old although I like some of his films, same with Philip Noyce IMO. 

Agreed and I think he's done some nice films but hes also a screen writer and I think they are looking for just a solid directer.

Hm, Bond walking around in a perfume ad? at least the suits would look better than ever.

LOL Agreed, I suppose it wouldn't work now that Bond has a competing fragrance out.

ComingSoon: Zombieland/Gangster Squad director Ruben Fleischer on why he's interested in making the Spy Hunter video game movie:

"If I can make any movie, it would be a James Bond movie. I've always loved the genre but I don't think they'll hire an American to direct a James Bond movie, I've been told, so for me, 'Spy Hunter' is an opportunity to create a new spy franchise."

I loved the game I had on the Playstation a film sounds like it could be a lot of fun, I would think it would be more targeted towards kids though.

I wasn't sure if I liked Hathaway in 'The Devil Wears Prada' but she won me over with 'Get Smart' and 'The Dark Knight Rises.' I think a Bond woman role would be below her. 

Nolan is overexposed and slightly overrated. It seems that everyone wants him directing every film in Hollywood like he's a godsend. I'll sit through it, but if Tom Hardy is ever cast as Bond, I'm out.

Agreed.

Tom Hardy would make a great villain, at least I think so.

Not IMO. I mean he did in TDKR but I don't think it would suit a Bond film, not any time soon anyway.

If Taratino could do for Bond what he just did for JANGO Unchained...................... all I could say is WOW! For those of you who grew up on the westerns done at the same time as the Connery classics you will know what I mean. Just the confidence in the use of the classic Spaghetti Western music was inspirational. Not to mention DeCaprio as the scariest bondesque villain that never was.

You should right a review in the 2012 films thread, I'd be interested to read it. I wasn't that thrilled with 'Inglorious Bastards' because I was expecting it to be more of a action film, I'm hoping 'Django Unchined' is more in that fine. Not sure he stands a chance directing a Bond film thought. 

Hardy would be a great villain and quite frankly I would rather have Lee Tamahori direct another Bond film before Christopher Nolan or QT.

I liked Nolan but I can't say yet if he should direct one at least not till we see what other films he will be doing. 

I would like to gauge everyone's thoughts on Rupert Wyatt. He did a great job on Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. Good storyteller.

- ooh, interesting!

- I think the problem with Bigelow is that she's American. Look at the Bond films and they traditionally go for a British Commonwealth director (with the exception of QoS) because the producers are always looking for someone who understands 'Britishness'. As great a director as Bigelow is, I'm not sure the producers would go for her; and I'm not sure she'd get the Britishness very well.

Although SF made me chuckle with its Americanisms; not certain many directors truly get 'Britishness' (heck I don't really know what they mean and I'm British) these days, so I don't see a problem with an (anglophilic) American Bond director.

Maybe its time for an American to take on the directors chair, to quote Will Ferrral as Robert Goulet 

I know one thing we can agree on when a professional gets his mitts on a song that's when it really takes off.

#330 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

yahoo 6 september 2013

Roland Emmerich told Yahoo Movies he wants to direct a James Bond film.
He dispelled online rumours that at one point he was to direct ‘Die Another Day’, but said he was keen on the franchise.
“Especially after the last one [‘Skyfall’],” he said, “because they’ve finally have the guts to go in different moods.”
He added: “I think [directing] a classic Bond film, no. But if they would let me do my Bond film the same way they let English director Sam Mendes do his Bond film, then that’d be interesting. Have a word with Barbara Broccoli when you get back.”