343 replies to this topic

#271 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

We can likely cross Vaughn off any list for BOND 24 or 25. Word on the street is he's been selected for the new STAR WARS flicks.

Why would he be off the list though? Bond 24 is set for 2014, while SW7 is set for 2015. Plenty of time to direct Bond before SW.

#272 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

Besides it's just a rumor, nothing official yet on Vaughn.

#273 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

True.

#274 KM16

KM16

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

Yes, but this is Star Wars we're talking about. The pre-production on this thing tends to be MASSIVE and Vaughn tends to jump ship if something doesn't go his way. He jumped ship on X-Men 3 because the time-table was too fast for his taste and if they are positive about pumping Bond 24 out by 2014, if he only gets to work late 2013, that may be too rushed for him. Bare in mind, he's already left 3 projects that we know of because of complicated scheduling; X-Men 3, Kick-[censored] 2 and now the sequel to X-Men First Class.

I know people here have quite a distaste for Chris Nolan but I still believe he'd be an excellent choice. Mendes has proven that a fan of Bond can indeed produce a top-quality Bond film and Nolan himself is just a fan. He's said so on many occasions and even "borrowed" certain Bond-ian elements for his previous films (including but not limited to The Dark Knight trilogy and Inception). Nolan himself to make the perfect candidate would need a strong screenwriter because, like the Bat-films, he works better off a polished script and I think if given the chance, he could make a top-notch quality Bond film. Another couple of reasons Nolan would be a good fit;

- He knows how to handle villains in a layered, heavily crafted story. Now I'm not specifically referring to Joker from Dark Knight, I was more referring to how well he can manage several at a time and since we all know Bond baddies come with plenty of henchman that come and go with relative ease, this directorial/writing trick could come in handy.
- IMAX! This director certainly knows how to handle and use IMAX for his films and whether The Dark Knight trilogy are your taste of films or not, we can all recognize the beauty of his IMAX filmed scenes and can we just imagine for a second, now that Bond has made the transition into IMAX, some James Bond styled action set pieces filmed in real IMAX. Oh no, not just a truck flip. Let's get several, and some fire fights, and some explosions, and some car flips. Oh my!

....But I don't want him for Bond 24 and he wouldn't be available anyway. He's already stated he wants to do something small after Dark Knight Rises and that wouldn't fit the time-table so if I had the choice, I ship for Mendes back for Bond 24, Nolan or someone of similar love of Bond/work quality for Bond 25.

Edited by KM16, 06 November 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#275 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'm not a Star Wars fan, so I could care less. He was also once attached to direct Thor and also left that.

I've already stated my distaste for Nolan over and over again. I'm all for Mendes returning (after I see the film Friday and give my analysis) Dark Knight Rises was just blatantly bad overall and lacking what the first two had.He handled Joker phenomenally, but did a piss poor job with Bane and Talia Al Ghul. Nolan isn't the only director to be good with IMAX. I too am glad Bond has made the jump to IMAX and Not 3D.

Nolan isn't the director we need (for now I guess), ever since The Dark Knight, he's been very overrated. Inception was a good an original (somewhat, I drew comparisons with 'The Cell' and 'Dreamscape') It's a good movie, but not "OMG EPIC" It's not Best Picture worthy either. It's overrated, much like Dark Knight Rises. I truly hope he doesn't make his Howard Hughes film, because Scorsese's 'The Aviator' is fantastic! Just my opinion on him now.

Moving forward, my number one choice for directing Bond 24 (I may take some Heat for this one :P ) is Michael Mann, not because I've met him and He's one of 5 favorite directors I have. He handles dramatic and suspenseful scenes very well as well action. Wishful thinking may be the case, but I think he'd be good.

#276 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

I too am glad Bond has made the jump to IMAX and Not 3D.

...but it hasn't. It's made the jump to digital. That's closer to 3D than it is IMAX.

Edited by Armand Fancypants, 06 November 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#277 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Is digital a bad thing? I'm glad the producers decided that IMAX is the best thing, rather than cash-in on the 3D gimmick Digital is better than 35mm in my opinion. The film was specially formatted for IMAX. Yes digital is closer to 3D as most 3D films are shot digitally, or in the case, a 35mm film, terribly post production converted to 3D. It may not have been filmed with any IMAX camera's, but it's been formatted to look very well much like an IMAX film.

#278 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Digital is better than 35mm in my opinion.

That ends that conversation, then.

Nothing digital is going to come close to the effect that Pfister's work with IMAX cameras had, for my money. Not for a while, anyway. On Skyfall they've just opened the mattes to give you more of a VistaVision ratio. Which has no comparison to true 70MM IMAX footage.

#279 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Nothing digital is going to come close to the effect that Pfister's work with IMAX cameras had, for my money. Not for a while, anyway. On Skyfall they've just opened the mattes to give you more of a VistaVision ratio. Which has no comparison to true 70MM IMAX footage.

Eh, I dunno. The SKYFALL trailer projected on an IMAX screen was significantly more impressive to me than the IMAX sequences from the DARK KNIGHT flicks.

#280 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I think Mendes should return, I don't know if he will though.

#281 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Did you know that MORE films are being shot digitally now? Sorry, There was nothing special about Dark Knight Rises in IMAX. NOTHING.

#282 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Did you know that MORE films are being shot digitally now? Sorry, There was nothing special about Dark Knight Rises in IMAX. NOTHING.

The sheer size of the image is enough to qualify the IMAX presentation of DKR as "special."

#283 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Maybe, but no, not for me. I thought The action scenes were weak in the film, and IMAX certainly didn't help boost them.

#284 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I actually thought Brad Bird did better with IMAX in MI4 than Nolan did in any of TDK movies. Also, J.J. Abrams did well with IMAX in Star Trek. Based on what we've heard for Bond 24 and 25, it would almost seem that Mendes would have to come back for both films if they are truly going to be a 2 parter. If that were the case, I doubt he would.

#285 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

It's not going to be a 2part film, that was a rumor, Craig stated in an interview that it's not going to be a 2part film.

#286 Nick Bone

Nick Bone

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I personally have nothing against Christopher Nolan, I really like his films. I think it´s just ridiculous to ignore a director like Nolan; remember those dudes in the Brosnan-era? Tamahori, Spottiswoode... auteur directors? Yeah, right :D

EON was a one lucky bastard to get someone like Sam Mendes to direct Skyfall. EON will be very lucky again if they can bring him back or sign someone like Nolan. At least Nolan is a fan of Bond movies (like Mendes) and that is a huge benefit. He´s not here to screw things up in a grand Tamahori way.

I personally want mr. Mendes back and then in the future I´d very much like to see a Bond films directed by Chris Nolan and Matthew Vaughn.

Bringing Sam Mendes back should be a top priority to EON.

#287 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

Steve McQueen (HUNGER, SHAME)

Ben Wheatley (KILL LIST).

#288 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

I think in this era the films are about more than mindless action and set pieces and because of that have attracted a different crop of directors. Forster and Mendes have shown that higher quality directors can be found and, as Mendes put it, "you can make a grand escapist film and still say something about the world we live in." So I think the days of Roger Spottiswoode and Michael Apted are gone. Whether Christopher Nolan fits into the class of Forster and Mendes is your own opinion, but I do think the Craig films can attract better directors. Personally, I would love to have Sam Mendes back, but I would be fine with someone else as long as that person is not Lee Tamahori.

#289 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

I personally have nothing against Christopher Nolan, I really like his films. I think it´s just ridiculous to ignore a director like Nolan; remember those dudes in the Brosnan-era? Tamahori, Spottiswoode... auteur directors? Yeah, right :D
I personally want mr. Mendes back and then in the future I´d very much like to see a Bond films directed by Chris Nolan and Matthew Vaughn.

Not so fast, Sir.

Lee Tamahori and Roger Spottiswoode were/are acclaimed directors, having made some really good personal films. To bash their whole careers because you don´t like their Bond films is too superficial and unjustified. By the way, did you love Mendes´ "Away with you"?

And please, can someone explain to me, why Matthew Vaughn is such a fanboy-idol? An auteur he surely is not. I liked his "X-Men: First Class". But apart from that, his other films felt like "been there, others have done it better" to me.

#290 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I hope Mendes returns. It'd be nice if they could even sign him for a couple. A Bond director sticking around again for a few films would be nice, and Mendes would certainly be a great candidate.

#291 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

I've been wondering if David Yates could do one. He could handle family friendly action but I don't like the pacing or the look of his Harry Potter films. I imagine the writers could take care of the pacing, and I'm sure he's capable of making film that isn't shot in almost total darkness. I don't get why the movie fans like that look.

#292 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

David Yates is an anonymous hack.

#293 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

David Yates is an anonymous hack.

Possibly, but State of Play was great.

#294 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Sam Mendes - Wouldn't be my first choice to return but I'd be fine with him returning.

Christoper Nolan - I'd like to see what other films he'll be doing but don't think it would be the right time to have him aboard yet.

Kathryn Bigalow - I would like for her to be the first female director, I have a good feeling about her newest film 'Zero Dark Thirty.'

David Fincher - I'd rather him finish The Millennium Series

Matthew Vaughn - I think he would do a good job but he might be to connected rather with Marvel.

Danny Boyle - I haven't seen '127 Hours' or many of his films for that matter and am on the fence about him directing.

Brad Bird - I don't think EON would want to borrow from Mission Impossible.

Coen Bros - I wouldn't want to see the directors credits shared for some reason which is not a good reason to dismiss them.

#295 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

The new 'Zero Dark Thirty' Trailer very much got my attention today with my second viewing of Skyfall.

I think Mendes may come back if the script is great. Who knows. Time will tell.

#296 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

MENDES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(That's 24 exclamation points, folks.)

#297 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Director Sam Mendes told our Leah Sydney he’s “thinking about” directing Bond 24 and 25, but after this — “Skyfall”

http://www.showbiz41...ie-opening-ever

#298 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Joe Wright or Matthew Vaughn.

Would like to have Mendes return for Craig's sendoff.

#299 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

I think Mendes is the first director since Glen who's said he'd be open to coming back for the next one isn't he? If he's saying that now, then he's got to be seriously considering returning. This is good news for those who liked his work (me included).

#300 SolidWaffle

SolidWaffle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

The continuing directors in the early days and John Glen gave a stylistic continuity. These movies weren't the same of course but a returning director would give the franchise some cohesion - imagine if Martin Campbell had directed Quantum of Solace?