This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CARTE BLANCHE

2121 replies to this topic

Poll: Carte Blanche

Do you like the title and UK cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you like the US cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#2011 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

Now I'd thought I had found out how this Carte Blanche title came about. Fleming uses it in The Dimound Smugglers,but it turns out that after reading the acknowledgements page of CB were told that it was in fact one of Jeffery Deaver's Copyeditors. Not as romantic as I had first thought.

#2012 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

NOT. COOL.
Attached File  WP_000192.jpg   59.69KB   31 downloads

#2013 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

Oh dear.....amazon?

#2014 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

xxx

#2015 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:11 AM

Just heard back from Amazon. Seems the Indies edition is the 1st. Can anyone here confirm?

I ordered the Indies edition too, but it's still curious...

#2016 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:43 AM

Just heard back from Amazon. Seems the Indies edition is the 1st. Can anyone here confirm?

Really? This is odd.

I wonder what we get in the Waterstone's edition?

#2017 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:55 AM

Really? This is odd.

I wonder what we get in the Waterstone's edition?

I assume it's the first.

#2018 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

Normal editions are also firsts. For some reason amazon are sending out a few 2nd editions. I had to go to Tesco to get a normal 1st. But rest assured there are millions of normal firsts in shops.

I'll email Hodder later to ask.

Edited by Jump James, 28 May 2011 - 05:22 AM.

#2019 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:55 AM

I've a bog standard first, seven quid from Sainsbury's. Should have gone to Tesco. There's a glut of first editions out there. Amazon? Pfft. Internet shopping? Pfft. Electricity? Pfft. The wheel? Pfft. Etc.

#2020 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

I've a bog standard first, seven quid from Sainsbury's. Should have gone to Tesco. There's a glut of first editions out there. Amazon? Pfft. Internet shopping? Pfft. Electricity? Pfft. The wheel? Pfft. Etc.

Sainsburys? Always had you down as a Waitrose man. Get anything else there that day? Tea bags, fruit etc that sort of thing.

I don't want to tarnish Amazons good name as they have been great over the last 10 years. Just don't order Bond books from them maybe.

Now all this chit-chat is all very well but I really mist read said book before I stumble on a spoiler.

#2021 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Sainsburys? Always had you down as a Waitrose man. Get anything else there that day? Tea bags, fruit etc that sort of thing.

I was after a brace of ptarmigan but Sainsburys appears to be a more chickeny sort of place. It seemed clean.

The vibrant orange £7 sticker has a bit too much adhesive. Alongside the Waterstone Special Edition Cover, Sainsbury's do one - comes with tiny fragments of sticky paper.

Now all this chit-chat is all very well but I really mist read said book before I stumble on a spoiler.

Well, quite. Only at Sainsbury's as it was open at the time of the school run on Thursday but haven't actually opened the book since. Bank Holiday weekend fortuitously timed - probably not coincidental to flooding the mass market?

#2022 George88

George88

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

I bought mine at Lidl. £6.50. First edition.

It seemed to be the most expensive thing in the shop.

#2023 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

I got a first from Amazon. Have another book to finish first so I won't be racing to pop my review in the other thread just yet.

Any chance of those who have putting non-spoilery reviews in this thread when they're done?

#2024 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

I just contacted Hodder as well.

Maybe this is some conspiracy against the yanks because we got the better cover with DMC three years ago? Just kidding, but still...

#2025 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Seems to be a conspiracy against all those seeking a 1st edition by amazon. Although I never have this problem with Blu-rays.

#2026 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

Even Rosa Klebb reads Carte Blanche
http://www.james-bon...ile.php?id=1395

#2027 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

Anyone order from The Book Depository? If so, did you receive a 1st edition?

#2028 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

I have 3 copies of the book on the way to me (regular, Indie, Waterstone's special). Hoping I get at least one of them it by the weekend. I'm a working a full time job this summer and the weekend is the only time I can read. Also, Monday is a holiday, so that will delay it further if it doesn't come today or tomorrow. It's murder not having it in hand! (I'm avoiding the spoiler threads, btw.)

Didn't get any of my copies yesterday, so I'll have to hope for Tuesday. Regardless, it looks like I won't be able to read the book until next weekend.

Next book I'm going to London, screw the expense. The CB events looked pretty cool and I had invites to all of them. Missing those, not having the book in hand...little depressed at the moment. :(

#2029 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

You're not alone. It's not exactly fair that we who live in the US have to wait three more weeks until we have a hard copy in out hot little hands either. If I were a paranoid person, I'd be drawing up conspiracy theories as to why everyone else are getting copies and we're seemingly dead last.

#2030 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:28 PM

It's weird that Simon & Schuster didn't release the book on the 26th. DMC was released on the same day as the UK edition. And this is Memorial Day weekend, the big summer vacation weekend, people are looking for something to take with them. Maybe this was done to accommodate Deaver's tour schedule? Still, even that doesn't make sense as he's done with his UK stops and could have started his U.S. tour this week.

I'm sure they have their reasons. But, yes, the wait sucks.

#2031 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

Didn't get any of my copies yesterday, so I'll have to hope for Tuesday. Regardless, it looks like I won't be able to read the book until next weekend.

The CB events looked pretty cool and I had invites to all of them.. Missing those, not having the book in hand...little depressed at the moment. :(

Same here. Am abroad and won't get home till well into June, no chance of opening the copy waiting in my study before then. Feeling slightly peeved...

#2032 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

Ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk, it initially said I'd receive it sometime around June 3rd. Now it's saying it'll get here June 16th, which is annoying since I'll be in Lisbon until July 11th. Hopefully it gets here sooner, would like something to read on the plane.

#2033 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

anyone know when there will be a paperback version of Carte Blanche in Canada/USA? The UK paperback coming in september so when will the paperback for USA/Canada be? one or two months later?

#2034 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hoping one of my U.K. Copies arrives tomorrow.

#2035 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

I'm quite enjoying it so far. It's a fun story, Deaver does the UK detail extremely well, and Bond is pleasingly clever in everything he does: dealing with politics, getting out of scrapes in inventive and smart ways... it's fun.

#2036 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

Even Rosa Klebb reads Carte Blanche
http://www.james-bon...ile.php?id=1395

Very cool :tup:

#2037 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

Picked up my copy from Tesco for £5 - astonishing discount - and it's now firmly in place on the bedside table. Looking forward to it.

#2038 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:37 AM

Simon & Schuster is popping a copy in the mail to me today. Ironically, I may end up getting the U.S. edition before any of my UK ones arrive. Either-way, I should have the book, in one form or another, for the weekend.

#2039 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

I'm enjoying it: the chase to the airport was a neat little sequence I thought.

#2040 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

At my hotel's reception desk this morning: a parcel waiting for me. Size roughly that of a .45 Colt, albeit not long-barrelled. Weight about that of a .38 Centennial S&W. Inside the cardboard box a note in green ink "You seem to need this."

On top of Carte Blanche, sent by my wife.

Now, if only I wouldn't have to work...

Edited by Dustin, 01 June 2011 - 12:20 PM.