This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CARTE BLANCHE

2121 replies to this topic

Poll: Carte Blanche

Do you like the title and UK cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you like the US cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#2041 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

Got my copy yesterday! This is the normal edition, a freebie from Coleman-Getty (with a nifty press release), and like so many here, it's a second. But that's ok. This will be my beater reading copy, and I'll probably nab a signed first from Brian at Bond and Beyond. Or I'll just let my Waterstone's edition be the first in my collection. But the best part is I finally have the book in hand! Now to find the time to read it...

#2042 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'll probably nab a signed first from Brian at Bond and Beyond. Or I'll just let my Waterstone's edition be the first in my collection.

Yup, http://www.bondandbeyond.com is a really good place to get signed copies.
I hope you like the book, Zencat.
I think it's a fun ride. Reminds one of reading the contemporary Bond from the Gardner/Benson days. A fun, entertaining read. LitBond for the 21st century.

#2043 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:09 AM

Got my U.S. edition today and it is SLICK in the flesh. I actually think it's as attractive as the UK edition.

http://www.thebookbo...n-of-carte.html

#2044 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

Much cooler looking in person it seems. Very neat. Getting anxious about receiving my copy. It's beginning to look all the more likely that I'll be reading this in mid-July.

#2045 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:48 AM

Judging by that photo Zencat had posted it does lOok better. UK edition was better but I think I'll order the US version to complete the collection.

#2046 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

Gotta be honest; I think it looks a bit horrible in that photo. The blue is pretty nasty.
In defence of the UK one, I do think it sort of makes sense that a book called 'Carte Blanche' has a largely blank cover!

#2047 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

Gotta be honest; I think it looks a bit horrible in that photo. The blue is pretty nasty.

That's not blue. That's just the lighting. It's the same color type as the title.

#2048 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:28 AM

Mine came in two days ago! Haven't had much time to really dive into (on page 140 roughly) but I am loving it. So far it is the best adult iteration of the James Bond character since Fleming. So far so good Jeff. :tup: His enthusiasm is present on every page, too, which makes it all the more enjoyable.

#2049 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:55 AM

Same here, Matt_13. I'm 300 pages in and loving it. Forcing myself to stop so I can savor the rest during the week.

#2050 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:56 AM

Same here, Matt_13. I'm 300 pages in and loving it. Forcing myself to stop so I can savor the rest during the week.

Ditto. Sounds like we're at the same exact point in the book, too. Thoroughly researched and affectionately composed by a master of his craft. Don't know how it'll end but this is shaping up to be the definitive adult Bond continuation novel (for me anyway, it continuously nails all of my interests about the character and his world dead on). Even the "box ticking" (for lack of a better word, though I think updating is more appropriate) of old characters is handled elegantly and feels organic to the plot. This is the first time in a while that a book has actually proved to be well worth the money spent on it. Can't wait for the conclusion.

#2051 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

Must say; I'm very impressed by his writing-as-an-Englishman job; I'm sure it was thoroughly proof read but there's in there thatmakes me think it was written by an American; very good.

#2052 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

Must say; I'm very impressed by his writing-as-an-Englishman job; I'm sure it was thoroughly proof read but there's in there thatmakes me think it was written by an American; very good.

You need that post proof read, it makes little sense.

#2053 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:08 PM

Missed out the word 'nothing': I do that a lot! :)

#2054 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

Got a response from Hodder:

Thanks for your email. First editions of Carte Blanche were available in all editions, not just the Indies hardback. However occasionally, due to high customer demand, we will have to reprint a title quickly to meet all customer requirements and big customers like Amazon and Waterstone's are not set up in a way that will allow them to prioritise first edition stock against later reprints - meaning that they cannot guarantee that particular customers should receive a first edition, even if they pre-order.

If you want to guarantee getting a first edition then I would recommend ordering through a respected first edition supplier, such as Goldsboro Books http://www.goldsborobooks.com/ who will be able to guarantee a first edition.

I hope this helps.

Not helpful.

#2055 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

Just finished. Standing ovation. It's everything I wanted it to be and more. This really is a standout among continuations novels. At some point I'll pull together a full review. But for now, like Bond in a Miami hotel room, I'm "completely satisfied." :tup:

#2056 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

Just finished. Standing ovation. It's everything I wanted it to be and more. This really is a standout among continuations novels. At some point I'll pull together a full review. But for now, like Bond in a Miami hotel room, I'm "completely satisfied." :tup:

Zencats posted this in three threads, and a member has signed up as JEFFERYDEAVER. Something exciting about to happen?

#2057 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:36 PM

I'm halfway through and I'm enjoying it but I just wish there was more vivid detail regarding the description of what Bond sees through the plane and car windows. This was somwething Gardner didn't do enough of either but I still enjoy all his books too to differing extents. I wish Deaver had have mentioned what Bond was wearing when he went to Dubai or was it still the blue suit and burgandy tie? Not a fan of red ties myself. Don't know if Bond would wear them. Still, dark red is much better lighter red. Also, what kind of suitcases does Bond have? I wish there was a sentence regarding this too. Preferably battered pigskin. :) Love all the homages to Fleming's Bond - Bond liking breakfast, his showers, May, his flat. I can't understand why people are complaining about this. I think it's splendid.

Seeing this is a reboot I wish Deaver had have gone into a bit more detail reagarding how Bond got into the ODG. It's like Deaver and/or IFP were a bit scared to go the whole hog in terms of the reboot...or maybe not. The meeting with M at the club is nice but I wish it have lasted for longer. It was so brief! A description of the club would have been nice too. The same goes for Bond's dinner with Philly and his drink with Leiter. This is something that I thought might bother me though seeing I know Deaver wants to obviously appeal to his fans and keep it fast paced. The fast pacing works well with the action and suspense scenes but I wish we had have had more of a breather in these other scenes. Still, most of my complaints are only minor and thus far, the book's merits far outweigh it's demerits.

Edited by Jack Spang, 10 June 2011 - 12:45 AM.

#2058 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Is it not a mistake to announce the Author whilst the Author is still deep in the throngs or writing? Once IFP have announced they have hired a best seller to pen the next novel they can’t really reject it can they. They leave themselves with no other option but to publish the book no matter how good or bad or neutral it might be. That’s quite dangerous, I think. What comes first, money or quality of product? So far reviews have been in the marmite category, Amazon, Watersones, IBooks etc Makes me wish my toast landed butter side down as the wait was more promising than the read.

#2059 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

..... as the wait was more promising than the read.

Isn't that always the case? The excitement of anticipation destroying the enjoyment of the event.

#2060 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

(Seem to recall those being the titles bestowed upon the "parts" of You Only Live Twice - might be wrong)

#2061 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

Finally got the book today for $11. Was $32 at launch, went down to $21 and then 30 percent off that. A Borders store is closing down and it was on sale with everything else. Really looking forward to reading this one. Will share my thoughts as I wade through it.

#2062 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

(Seem to recall those being the titles bestowed upon the "parts" of You Only Live Twice - might be wrong)

No, you're spot on.

#2063 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:44 AM

Reading through part of it last night. Quite a good start. I like what I see of Bond’s characterization. Still a man of action but more of an emphasis on planning and surveillance. The opening with the train was enjoyable, as was the chase along the rough road and the lorry deception. The villain seems alright I suppose. Takes a bit more adoration in death than others, but does run the risk of being one note. Need to read a bit more about him before passing judgement. But so far, it’s a satisfactory book.

#2064 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:41 AM

Oh, SNAP. Is this out in NA tomorrow?

#2065 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

Oh, SNAP. Is this out in NA tomorrow?

Yes.

#2066 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:40 AM

Yup, I'm actually planning on popping by Walmart after midnight to see if they shelve books on schedule since they are open 24 hours.

#2067 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:55 AM

I suppose. June 14th. That crept up fast. In the midst of Van Lustbader's original Ninja - have to finish that first, as "research". Damn.

#2068 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:07 AM

CARTE BLANCHE HAS ARRIVED IN THE USA!*
*except it hasn't downloaded to my Kindle iPad app yet...

#2069 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

I'm over half way through. It's still holding up. Haven't had time to read much more, unfortunately.

On the plus side, though, it's still there waiting for me. Another new Bond book doesn't come around that often.

#2070 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

This is new. In all the JD interviews I've read (and there have been alot!), this is the first mention of who he used as his model for Bond.

http://www.thebookbo...james-bond.html