114 replies to this topic

#31 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Does anyone else get a Living Daylights meets Quantum of Solace feel from the rooftop street chase the pics and vids showcase.

It looks like The Bourne Ultimatum with Daniel Craig as James Bond.

Hi. Long time lurker but with the cloud lifting on MGM and Bond 23 coming out and now a new game on the way and a new Bond novel I figure now is the perfect time to join. From what little has been leaked about the game it looks ok. Not amazing but not bad I'm going to reserve judgment till I see more about it.

I agree with Mr. Solace though the city looks a bit like Tangier.

Sincerly

John

Welcome to CBn!

#32 CardShark

CardShark

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

Does anyone else get a Living Daylights meets Quantum of Solace feel from the rooftop street chase the pics and vids showcase.

It looks like The Bourne Ultimatum with Daniel Craig as James Bond.

Hi. Long time lurker but with the cloud lifting on MGM and Bond 23 coming out and now a new game on the way and a new Bond novel I figure now is the perfect time to join. From what little has been leaked about the game it looks ok. Not amazing but not bad I'm going to reserve judgment till I see more about it.

I agree with Mr. Solace though the city looks a bit like Tangier.

Sincerly

John

Welcome to CBn!

Thank you I enjoy Bond quite a bit and wanted to join a site where I can talk about 007. :D

#33 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

WHAT THE HELL!??!?! :|

I DON'T UNDERSTAND. THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!

#34 PeteNeon

PeteNeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

Well if you're not being sarcastic, it's good that they seem to be carrying on from Blood Stone, and it looks improved from that clip, but it's not like this is a whole new game leaking, with some amazingly detailed close ups of Daniel Craig and an M that looks exactly like her :D, there isn't much here that doesn't resemble Blood Stone.

Edited by PeteNeon, 07 December 2010 - 07:44 PM.

#35 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

I'm not being sarcastic at all. I'm just totally excited and confused.

#36 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

That looks way rittier and rawer than Blood Stone. Blood Stone nailed the high adventure, lighthearted tone of Bond, this looks to be switching things up big time. The graphics look like a cross between the Bourne Conspiracy where animation is concerned, and Splinter Cell Conviction. This is genuinly exciting, especially since it's on the heels of two other games.

#37 CardShark

CardShark

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

May I ask what are you confused about Mr. Mharkin?

I agree Matt13 it looks quite brutal and gritty.

Edited by CardShark, 07 December 2010 - 08:23 PM.

#38 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

May I ask what are you confused about Mr. Mharkin?

I agree Matt13 it looks quite brutal and gritty.

I think he's just as confused as I am about how something like this has suddenly appeared practically out of nowhere, and look so cool. It's definitely some really rough footage, but guns and button layouts (A to vault, RB to reload) are already a part of that real, which means they must have gotten pretty far before they threw the breaks on. This is clearly the next step from Blood Stone, so they developed the original and the sequel back to back. I hope Blood Stone's failure on the market is appropriately attributed to the lack of marketing. This game better get made.

#39 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

:o I just @#$% Myself! What is the name of this game and when can we have it! This already looks better than Bloodstone!

#40 CardShark

CardShark

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

I must confess the new images do look quite good. I hope that the game lives up to it.

#41 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:38 PM

The button layout looks pretty much identical. X is melee too. However, there is now zoom option similar to SC Conviction where you click down the left thumbstick to zoom in. That was another major problem with BS. If we get the ability to crouch then the major issues with the combat will have been solved. I wonder if the budget of this game will be at all effected by sales of the previous two titles. I'm hoping GE's success can be considered compensation for Blood Stone's lack of finding a solid base. Also I hope the marketing is taken up a notch. I saw many GE commercials, so there's no excuse why the marketing for this game should be any different, especially considering that it's likely to be the only title released in the near future. I'm glad there's already something to be excited about again.

#42 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

It popped out of nowhere because...IT WAS WIKI-LEAKED!

#43 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:59 AM

This came from nowhere, man.

All of the Craig games so far look pretty much the same. I get that they’re going on the last two films, but construction sites, Sienna style rooftops, catacombs and all that do get tiresome. Still, this game looks good at the raw stage. I’m hoping it continues the Blood Stone story. And they market it properly this time.

#44 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:33 AM

The chase did look strikingly similar to The Bourne Ultimatum. Still, it's Bond.

#45 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:29 AM

I think he's just as confused as I am about how something like this has suddenly appeared practically out of nowhere, and look so cool.

As I said in the story, it's an animator's demo reel. His portfolio. It's rather frustrating when you're trying to find work and you can't show examples of what you've been working on. Occasionally the media finds these.

The real surprise to me is how far along it looks, but then again this could just be a demo level or proof of concept or something to that effect. We have no idea.

#46 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:42 AM

This came from nowhere, man.

All of the Craig games so far look pretty much the same. I get that they’re going on the last two films, but construction sites, Sienna style rooftops, catacombs and all that do get tiresome. Still, this game looks good at the raw stage. I’m hoping it continues the Blood Stone story. And they market it properly this time.

I agree, this is all a bit samey. And if Bloodstone didn't sell, I can't imagine another similar third person shooter will, either. I think they need to try something new.

#47 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:47 AM

Well keep in mind the general public didn't even know what Blood Stone was. Goldeneye got all the hype.

#48 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

Raven have impressed me with a few gems in the past, particularly Jedi Outcast, so they know how to handle a big movie brand. A few thoughts:

• In the demo reel as noted, the graphics look more gritty than Blood Stone and down to earth
  • The icon in the corner says 'Walther PPK', but the silhouette looks more like a P99 unfortunately. I couldn't get a good look at the in game model.
  • When Bond takes hits it looks like it is represented on screen by blood dropping down

Unfortunately the gameplay looks too much like Blood Stone, but of course roughly 20 seconds of footage means nothing. I'm playing through Splinter Cell: Conviction right now and it completely out classes Blood Stone in every way. I hope the rumours are true that Raven is putting more emphasis on Stealth. The next Bond game also needs more detective work/problem solving, or basically anything that isn't just making stuff blow up.

#49 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:06 PM

Raven have impressed me with a few gems in the past, particularly Jedi Outcast, so they know how to handle a big movie brand. A few thoughts:

• In the demo reel as noted, the graphics look more gritty than Blood Stone and down to earth
  • The icon in the corner says 'Walther PPK', but the silhouette looks more like a P99 unfortunately. I couldn't get a good look at the in game model.
  • When Bond takes hits it looks like it is represented on screen by blood dropping down

Unfortunately the gameplay looks too much like Blood Stone, but of course roughly 20 seconds of footage means nothing. I'm playing through Splinter Cell: Conviction right now and it completely out classes Blood Stone in every way. I hope the rumours are true that Raven is putting more emphasis on Stealth. The next Bond game also needs more detective work/problem solving, or basically anything that isn't just making stuff blow up.

Agreed This new bond game definitly need more then run jump and shoot.

#50 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

Branching paths would also be welcome. There can only be one objective, but there should be more than one route to get there. Chasing guys in games, while definitely fun for the cinematic factor, is way too straight forward, and should not be so heavily relied upon. I saw that zipline in the video, wouldn't it be nice if that was just an option to get to the building he's heading towards, instead of say charging along the ground taking bad guys out by the dozen? I don't know I just hope that we see a bit more variety in the on foot sections, and I do hope the mocap gets a bit sharper. The video shows some really rough looking punches thrown. I wonder how long it'll be before we hear anything official about it. Probably not until summer.

Oooh, upon closer inspection of that video there does seem to be a new combat system. While X may be melee, it would appear that you will have to hit Y to block/ counter. That's really interesting.

#51 CardShark

CardShark

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

I noticed that to Mr Matt_13 I do wish the untextured shots were textured as they could be from a different level then the city chase level all of the textured shots and footage seem to come from.

Any idea where this city scape is supposed to be it does look Middle Eastern. I also wonder what the title might be.

#52 winstoninabox

winstoninabox

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:26 AM

Video looks fantastic.
Haven't got to Blood Stone yet, but disappointed to hear that sales weren't great.
Hopefully news of another game in the works might also stimulate a bit of interest in Blood Stone.

#53 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:38 AM

Any idea where this city scape is supposed to be it does look Middle Eastern. I also wonder what the title might be.

I think it looks like Iraq or Afghanistan. The solider seems like supporting evidence of that too.

#54 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:20 AM

You can see what looks like Arabic on the street signs. I'll be genuinely shocked if they drop Bond in Afghanistan. He really shouldn't be there.

#55 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:26 AM

You can see what looks like Arabic on the street signs. I'll be genuinely shocked if they drop Bond in Afghanistan. He really shouldn't be there.

an interesting point Afghanistan was rumored as a possible location for bond 23 2 years ago. perhaps elements of that are cropping up here?

I Honestly wouldn't mind Afghanistan or Iraq so long as it fits the plot nicely rather then being used because it's topical

#56 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:57 AM

They speak Pashto and Dari in Afghanistan so no Arabic. Why shouldn't he go though?

#57 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:32 AM

They also speak Uzbek. I see no fun in taking Bond to Afghanistan. It's a wasteland riddled with snow capped mountains and a wealth of ethnic groups. Bond doesn't belong in that setting, it's not fun or exciting. There is nothing other worldly or high octane about that country right now. It needs stability. Bond should stay out.

#58 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

They also speak Uzbek. I see no fun in taking Bond to Afghanistan. It's a wasteland riddled with snow capped mountains and a wealth of ethnic groups. Bond doesn't belong in that setting, it's not fun or exciting. There is nothing other worldly or high octane about that country right now. It needs stability. Bond should stay out.

I could see bond going in with the royal army in Afghanistan to extract someone for information or something in line of that.

#59 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

Arabic is not a common second language in Afghanistan. For many Arabic states, it is not the official national language but since the Koran is taught in Arabic, states that have many Islamic persons also have wide spread Arabic use. This may also be true in Afghanistan but even though many of the people may learn the Koran in Arabic they do not use the language. Afghanistan is quite the pot luck of languages.

Personally I would love to see bond and an army crew work together. Put the commander back in commander bond. I'm also a sucker for middle eastern politics. Mix my two favorite things.

Edited by Chief of SIS, 09 December 2010 - 08:34 AM.

#60 CardShark

CardShark

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

Interesting points. I have to admit the shot of Bond sliding under the truck is so awesome I wish we knew more about the game. from what I can gather it looks similar to the Bejing level in bloodstone (chasing someone through the city and having to stop the persons alies at different spots thoughout the level). Which I have no problem with because I enjoyed the level in Bloodstone. I also hope that the game has a realistic plot like Bloodstone.