41 replies to this topic

#31 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

Now onto the next concern... what happened to the guy in the truck who takes a head-on collision with Bond's pursuers in the opening chase? That can't have tickled.

#32 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:29 PM

"All those Alfas and he still can't fly!" B)

#33 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

While I did ponder the waitress's fate, it's true that she wasn't on-screen long enough for me to really care about what happened to her, other than the obvious fact that she was an innocent who was thrown into circumstances beyond her control, and so of course I wanted her to escape if she could (and I decided that she had).

But the real reason her character was there was simply to show what a snake Medrano really was, and that this ugly business of raping women was something he did at every opportunity, not just an occasional thing. Not only that, but we saw how others facilitated his rapes by providing women for him.

Too often in past Bond films the depiction of nameless innocents being killed or hurt has been displayed in a completely throwaway manner.

What I liked about QOS (amongst other things) was that whilst you get the usual 'extras' caught in the crossfire so to speak I personally FELT for the lady who gets shot in Sienna, for the villagers deprived of water, for Fields being forced to go through a remake of GOLDFINGER's most famous scene with oil instead and for the waitress nearly becoming another victim of Medrano's favourite pastime.

They're all throwaway characters and yet this is a Bond film which doesn't portray the requisite ugliness of the villains in the stylistic manner of yesteryear (piranhas eating crap henchmen for example). Innocent people will suffer and as a viewer you're MEANT to be uncomfortable about that.

#34 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

Now onto the next concern... what happened to the guy in the truck who takes a head-on collision with Bond's pursuers in the opening chase? That can't have tickled.

The truck driver was probably o.k. Some bumps and bruises, maybe even a broken leg, but nothing too serious.

#35 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

While I did ponder the waitress's fate, it's true that she wasn't on-screen long enough for me to really care about what happened to her, other than the obvious fact that she was an innocent who was thrown into circumstances beyond her control, and so of course I wanted her to escape if she could (and I decided that she had).

But the real reason her character was there was simply to show what a snake Medrano really was, and that this ugly business of raping women was something he did at every opportunity, not just an occasional thing. Not only that, but we saw how others facilitated his rapes by providing women for him.

Too often in past Bond films the depiction of nameless innocents being killed or hurt has been displayed in a completely throwaway manner.

What I liked about QOS (amongst other things) was that whilst you get the usual 'extras' caught in the crossfire so to speak I personally FELT for the lady who gets shot in Sienna, for the villagers deprived of water, for Fields being forced to go through a remake of GOLDFINGER's most famous scene with oil instead and for the waitress nearly becoming another victim of Medrano's favourite pastime.

They're all throwaway characters and yet this is a Bond film which doesn't portray the requisite ugliness of the villains in the stylistic manner of yesteryear (piranhas eating crap henchmen for example). Innocent people will suffer and as a viewer you're MEANT to be uncomfortable about that.

Very good points. I agree completely!

#36 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:32 AM

The truck driver was probably o.k. Some bumps and bruises, maybe even a broken leg, but nothing too serious.

Bumps and bruises, possibly. Broken leg, doubt it, as those truck cabs are too far off the ground. As for the gentlemen in the Alfa, their air bags probably activated, they were treated and released from the hospital and are now in carabinieri custody, being questioned for their role in the chase.

#37 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

Bumps and bruises, possibly. Broken leg, doubt it, as those truck cabs are too far off the ground.

Nah, he's dead. Those cabs have no crumple zone.

#38 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

You're all completely ignoring the pivotal question of QOS - did that old lady in Siena ever manage to get her box of cherries upstairs?

#39 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:05 AM

You're all completely ignoring the pivotal question of QOS - did that old lady in Siena ever manage to get her box of cherries upstairs?

She looked like she was too busy with her rosary after the box fell.

#40 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

And what about that nice ashtray of Mitchells that M smashes? What a terrible waste..

#41 Paul Scrabo

Paul Scrabo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Baaeret wrote
"Too often in past Bond films the depiction of nameless innocents being killed or hurt has been displayed in a completely throwaway manner."

I can't buy that. I don't remember that happening in non-Craig films. I could indeed be wrong. I mean, I appreciated the little things in the "Old days" like showing the cops clammering out of the squashed cars in "Goldeneye". With the exception of the catastrophies the villains caused, did the films harp on this?

#42 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

And what about that nice ashtray of Mitchells that M smashes? What a terrible waste..

Well, it's not like he smoked! B)

Paul Scarbo wrote:

I can't buy that. I don't remember that happening in non-Craig films. I could indeed be wrong. I mean, I appreciated the little things in the "Old days" like showing the cops clammering out of the squashed cars in "Goldeneye". With the exception of the catastrophies the villains caused, did the films harp on this?

No, the films didn't harp on this and neither did the audience really. I think what we're seeing is a Sienna shooting that ups the dramatic angle of Bond's pursuit: Quantum has no qualms about destabilizing governements or the fate innocent bystanders.

Molaka does essentially the same thing in CR while evading Bond. The fact that there's no cutaway that shows those construction workers writhing in pain or receiving medical attention in CR, shows that this may have been a directorial decision for QOS.

I think we're the only people who are truly harping on this & it shows how the Sienna shooting may have caused us to care about the waitress in Peru.

FWIW, I wasn't too concerned about Solange's demise in CR and I think the audience was supposed to care about her.