The waitress's fate?

41 replies to this topic

#1 Brent

Brent

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

She is last seen with her hands tied on her back just before Camille enters Medrano's suite. Any idea of what happened to her? Another Forster goof? Forster spends time setting her up as a sympathetic character in the hands of a cruel fate in Medranos' suite only to completely forget about her once Camille enters.

#2 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

she burned. dont see any other fate.

#3 Brent

Brent

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

If that is true then that is bad storytelling. You do not set up a character for the audience's sympathy then not deliver the expected relief. There is an expectation that she will be rescued by Camille or Bond based on the buildup to the point when Medranos is interrupted in his planned rape, then nothing is shown of her fate.

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

Spoiler

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

SHE'S THE HEAD OF QUANTUM! :tdown:

B)

#6 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Greene managed to get out on one foot, I assume she escaped alright with tied hands.

#7 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

She probably died in the fire but at least that's better than being raped and beaten by Medrano for the rest of your life.

#8 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Either she burned alive or she managed to make it out that opening Bond blasted open. Even with hands tied behind her back, she can move. It's difficult until you get your balance, so she might have fallen a few times, but still. Personally I'm banking on burned alive. Same thing probably happened to people down in the garage.

#9 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

i want to know where bond's car came from since it seemed like the garage was pretty much destroyed. at first i thought that it was a car that they used to get out to the hotel but then i realized that it said greene planet on it.

#10 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

Seriously, I don’t think she’d’ve been caught in the fire. I’m sure the second she left Medrano’s room she headed for the nearest exit. She should have had plenty of time to get out.

i want to know where bond's car came from since it seemed like the garage was pretty much destroyed. at first i thought that it was a car that they used to get out to the hotel but then i realized that it said greene planet on it.

I assumed Bond and Camille brought the car and had it hidden away nearby. As far as it saying ‘Greene Planet’, I guess that means Camille brought it.

#11 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Seriously, I don’t think she’d’ve been caught in the fire. I’m sure the second she left Medrano’s room she headed for the nearest exit. She should have had plenty of time to get out.

I also assume that's the intention--especially since, as Brent pointed out, it's crummy drama otherwise.

#12 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

She certainly was hot....but did she burn? B) Disputed questions...

#13 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

...that's better than being raped and beaten by Medrano for the rest of your life.

I wouldn't think Medrano has that kind of endurance.

#14 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

I'm sure a facility like that would have numerous fire exits. It's not hard to believe she escaped the building.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

Yeah, that's what I think as well.

(But I do like the idea of her popping up as a burned/disfigured villain someday. Maybe with diamonds in her face? Nah.)

#16 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

In theatrical release here in Oz the rape scene was edited quite a bit (according to our Tim007), and in the DVD release it is virtually non-existent.

#17 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

I'm sure a facility like that would have numerous fire exits. It's not hard to believe she escaped the building.

And if she did escape, she possibly died in the desert from dehydration!

#18 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

B)

But you are SO WRONG!

She's the next Moneypenny.

#19 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

B)

But you are SO WRONG!

She's the next Moneypenny.

Actually you're BOTH wrong. The waitress is teaming up with the woman that Mitchell shot in Sienna. They're going to be the new Bambi and Thumper. :tdown:

#20 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

I assumed Bond and Camille brought the car and had it hidden away nearby. As far as it saying ‘Greene Planet’, I guess that means Camille brought it.

But why would it be one of Greene Planet's cars? I would like to think that Bond and Camille used that VW Beetle to get out to the hotel and that they hid it once they arrived there. It would also make sense that Camille probably stole that Bug for a getaway car, to get Bond away from their hotel and the CIA agents that were after him, after Bond found Fields dead. Only the Colonel's Land Rover was damaged when it backed into that hydrogen pile at the hotel, and the Greene Planet cars looked like they were parked too far away to be seriously affected. Obviously a studio shot, meticulously controlled by the special effects people so no actors would get hurt.

#21 Paul Scrabo

Paul Scrabo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

This bothered me too, and the fact that this woman was displayed to us and then forgotten about and we are wondering what happened is another example of the unique experience called "QOS"

Edited by Paul Scrabo, 22 May 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#22 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

This bothered me too, and the fact that this woman was displayed to us and then forgotten about and we are wondering what happened is another example of the unique experience called "QOS"

And what happened to that woman who got shot by Mitchell in Sienna?

I kind of felt the same way when all those innocent bystanders got killed throughout "Ronin." It's messed up but their safety or well-being isn't pivotal to the storyline.

#23 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

I think her part in the film was cut short when, following one of the explosions in the hotel, her wig blew off and a rather embarrassed Lee Tamahori exited stage left....

#24 Paul Scrabo

Paul Scrabo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:28 AM

"And what happened to that woman who got shot by Mitchell in Sienna? "

The ugliest moment (meant in a negative way) that has ever been in a Bond film. Hated that bit.

#25 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:55 AM

It was supposed to be an ugly moment. Up until this point (in the Bond series) we've never witnessed how violence can affect regular people, it's ugly but it's real.

Ronin was big on showing the ugliness of violence to regular people, something I think the Bond series (in it's current form) should show more of.

#26 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

It was supposed to be an ugly moment. Up until this point (in the Bond series) we've never witnessed how violence can affect regular people, it's ugly but it's real.

I think back to Ouromov in GE, plowing through those pedestrians in St. Petersburg. Macabre but almost played for laughs.

#27 staveoffzombies

staveoffzombies

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:18 AM

I think back to Ouromov in GE, plowing through those pedestrians in St. Petersburg. Macabre but almost played for laughs.

Or the poor chap having his bed of nails mashed up in Octopussy. B)

#28 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:34 AM

If that is true then that is bad storytelling. You do not set up a character for the audience's sympathy then not deliver the expected relief. There is an expectation that she will be rescued by Camille or Bond based on the buildup to the point when Medranos is interrupted in his planned rape, then nothing is shown of her fate.

I may simply have a cruel side but I can't say her limited screen time had me 'invested' in that character, or at least had offering some sympathy for her. Don't get me wrong, wondering what the heck happened to her is a good question, but that's more like a small bit of trivia for me. I can't say I ever wondered that and I can't say that I really care.

Edited by eddychaput, 28 May 2009 - 04:35 AM.

#29 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:51 AM

I may simply have a cruel side but I can't say her limited screen time had me 'invested' in that character, or at least had offering some sympathy for her. Don't get me wrong, wondering what the heck happened to her is a good question, but that's more like a small bit of trivia for me. I can't say I ever wondered that and I can't say that I really care.

Agreed.

#30 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

While I did ponder the waitress's fate, it's true that she wasn't on-screen long enough for me to really care about what happened to her, other than the obvious fact that she was an innocent who was thrown into circumstances beyond her control, and so of course I wanted her to escape if she could (and I decided that she had).

But the real reason her character was there was simply to show what a snake Medrano really was, and that this ugly business of raping women was something he did at every opportunity, not just an occasional thing. Not only that, but we saw how others facilitated his rapes by providing women for him.