#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 01:59 PM

Mightier Than The Sword

I am happy to announce that my Fan Fiction novel Mightier Than The Sword is complete and online. :) Click this link to get to the files. It took me years to write but finally it is done. And I am quite proud of it.

I tried something a little different with the presentation; the book is set up like a paperback in PDF format. As it's new it might take some getting used to, but if you click on the type you are reading the PDF will automatically zoom in to the width of the page. And if you continue to click on the type you are reading it will automatically move to the next bit of type to read until you complete the chapter. Let me know any suggestions to make the PDF work smoother if you have any.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in this thread.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 02:01 PM

Oh and thanks to Icephoenix for writing the wonderful introduction (even though it did make me blush).

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 02:59 PM

This looks very exciting, Evan. I can't wait to read it. Love the cover(s). Between your fan fic and Xen's fan fic (yes, Xen, I'm going to read it soon, I promise), I'm going to have to start a new shelf in my Bond bookcase.

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 03:38 PM

I must say this is the most professional fan-fic I have ever had the chance to read. I urge people to read it; it is truly a great piece. It's original and thrilling so you wont be disappointed. I had the great pleasure of watching from the sidelines while this Book was in production and the outcome is just marvellous. I feel like a promoter :) but this is all my honest opinion. Print it out and read it before bed, or on a flight to Shanghai! Whatever, it's a great way to fill in the Benson gap (or should I say the Benson to fill in a hopeful Willnow gap :) )

And np, Evan, the book deserves it, and after all it's my job :)

#5 HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 03:46 PM

Started to read the first few pages, and I'm in love with it already! Great work Mr. *, can't wait to finish this up.

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:00 PM

Its looks great sir, the cover is superb, and the title sounds as if it sould be made into a film right away! You definately have a chance as Benson's successor (but he's gonna ba making books for ages yet:)). The only question I have is this (and don't take it offensively, its my eyesight), what is that little drawing on the hilt of the sword? I noticed 007 on the tip of the handle, but I can't quite make out the pic of the actualt hilt, can you tell me what it is please?

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:08 PM

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by Carver (edited)
...The only question I have is this (and don't take it offensively, its my eyesight), what is that little drawing on the hilt of the sword? I noticed 007 on the tip of the handle, but I can't quite make out the pic of the actualt hilt, can you tell me what it is please?

It's a American-Indian beast called 'The Piasa Bird' and it plays a role of sorts in the book. For more info on it go to this link:

http://www.altonweb....tory/piasabird/

#8 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:16 PM

Excellent job! You should definitely be Benson's successor, and from what I've read, you're a better writer than he is. It's obvious you've put a lot of work into this. This is, in my opinion, quite possibly the best piece of Bond fan fiction yet.

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:42 PM

If you are looking for a worthy successor to Ian Fleming....you just found it.

I have not gotten a chance to read to much of it -- yet -- but what I have read is very entertaining and very well done.

I am sure everyone here will enjoy it.

-- Xenobia

#10 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 10:47 PM

Finally... you did it. Mr. Asterix finally reveals his true identity. Great art work and great first pages, Evan! I thought I was reading a Fleming :)

In other words:
[Evan] You da man! [/Evan] :)

#11 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 11:04 PM

Mr*, while preparing to delve into this promising piece of fiction a question I often have pops into my mind once more. Do you have a website showcasing your countless brilliant pieces of fan artwork? If the answer is no, then why not? I for one would love to be able to visit and browse through a gallery compiling all of your various scattered works. It's something to consider.

#12 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 02:48 AM

I had a few people tell me they have had problems opening the PDF files. In all three cases the person needed to upgrade to the latest Acrobat Reader. They all had version 4.0 and the PDF files need version 5.0 to open. You can get version 5.0 at this link.

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 03:12 AM

Ah well there's my problem too then! And I do have version four, but it's the full version. If I upgrade I'll lose that capability :) Time to think :)

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Ah well there's my problem too then! And I do have version four, but it's the full version. If I upgrade I'll lose that capability :) Time to think :)

You should be able to run both Acrobat 4.0 (the full version) and Acrobat Reader 5.0 (the free version) on the same machine. But that said I've never tried it on a PC. I did check out the Acrobat forums at adobe.com and found a couple of people who said they had multiple versions of Acrobat and Reader on there machine without problems. So you should be able to add Reader 5.0 without losing your capabilities of Acrobat 4.0. (That said, I'd keep my Acrobat 4.0 disk handy).

#15 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 02:42 PM

Sorry,but my english is not so good,that i can reed this.
Can You tell me a litle about the story in a spoiler Tagg.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 04:09 PM

I printed out the whole thing (nice layout in Acrobat Mr. *) and I'm going to get the pages bound so I can read it like a proper book (and then add it to my shelf of First Editions). One thing, Mr. *, I couldn't print or download your excellent cover art. I'd love to bind this with the proper cover, could you email me the art? Thanks.

#17 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 04:35 PM

Usually these kind of things are awful, but this is really quite good- to say it is better than Benson is less praise than it deserves.
However: 'Sir Mallory'? Tsk tsk.

#18 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 05:10 PM

Originally posted by M_Balje
Sorry,but my english is not so good,that i can reed this.
Can You tell me a litle about the story in a spoiler Tagg.

I was trying to explain the to someone the other day and it ended up taking me an hour. It's tough for me leave anything out. Perhaps if someone else reads it they can be nice enough to summarise it for you and send it to you in a Private Message.

Originally posted by zencat
I printed out the whole thing (nice layout in Acrobat Mr. *) and I'm going to get the pages bound so I can read it like a proper book (and then add it to my shelf of First Editions). One thing, Mr. *, I couldn't print or download your excellent cover art. I'd love to bind this with the proper cover, could you email me the art? Thanks.

Excellent. :)

For anyone who want higher-resolution versions of any of the covers here are the links to them.

http://www.commander...mtts_cvr_lg.jpg

http://www.commander...TTS_Signet1.jpg

http://www.commander...TTS_Signet2.jpg

http://www.commander...TTS_Signet3.jpg

zencat, I'll send you an ultra-high-res version to your email.

Originally posted by marktmurphy (edited)
However: 'Sir Mallory'? Tsk tsk.

Oh my god! I can't believe that mistake got through. :eek: I swear I fixed that twice. D'oh! I know better. Sir Molony wherever you are, please forgive me.

#19 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 05:13 PM

No Evan- that's not the mistake. Would you call Connery 'Sir Connery'? Or Judi Dench 'Dame Dench'? You would not. You would call them 'Sir Sean' and 'Dame Judi'- the prefix 'Sir' is only used with the whole name or christian name, never with the surname.

#20 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 05:29 PM

Originally posted by marktmurphy
No Evan- that's not the mistake. Would you call Connery 'Sir Connery'? Or Judi Dench 'Dame Dench'? You would not. You would call them 'Sir Sean' and 'Dame Judi'- the prefix 'Sir' is only used with the whole name or christian name, never with the surname.

Double-D'oh! Two mistakes in the same spot. I tried to write the story as British as I could. I guess my American-ness is shining through there. :) But hey it's a PDF file nothing to stop me from revising it. :) Though zencat's bound version will still have the mistake, but that will just make it that much rarer. I'm sure the value of it will be worth ten times the original face value of 0c. :)

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 05:39 PM

Congratulations, Mister Asterix, on completing your novel. Further congratulations are also in order, because from what I've read so far I can tell it's worth reading.
I'd be interested to read any other work, for instance short stories, Bond-related or otherwise.

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
zencat, I'll send you an ultra-high-res version to your email.
[/font]

Awsome! Thanks.

#23 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 07:38 AM

Very good stuff, Mr*. You have spurred me on to redouble my efforts.

Coming "soon" (note how vague that is): "Just Another Kill", a James Bond fan fiction by me, by me putting my head above the parapet and waiting for the flak to fly. It's quite "upsetting".

#24 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 07:52 AM

Hey Jim! I'm really looking forward to your work :) Any idea how soon 'soon' is? We talking days, months, *gasp* years?

#25 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Hey Jim! I'm really looking forward to your work :) Any idea how soon 'soon' is? We talking days, months, *gasp* years?

Days (for the introduction (very brief, written by Raymond Benson* and the first chapter, anyway)

Months for the whole thing

*very possibly a lie

#26 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 02:56 AM

Take your time Jim...fine writing is like fine wine...it needs time to perfect.

I await your work with baited breath.

And Raymond Benson very well might your intro....this does not mean it is the same guy who writes for Gildrose now...;-)

-- Xenobia

#27 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 04:25 AM

Jim, I'm looking forward to JAK. I've always wondered what your unique brain and talent would do with the written Bond; I guess I'll find out soon.

#28 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 07:29 AM

Sorry Evan, I've turned attention away from your fine fan fiction (and try saying that having had one or two "fruit juices").

Please continue giving "Mightier Than the Sword" the attention it deserves, folks.

#29 adambaylis

adambaylis

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 10:42 PM

Hey Guys, just to let you know......im working on a project!

Working title is "FireIce" and i dunno if i should make a "teaser cover" just to give you guys an idea on the story?????????

See ya later............!!!!!!!!!!!!!undefined

#30 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 01:26 PM

Hey, Mister Asterix,
I just wanted to say that I only read the first page of "Mightier Than The Sword" and you have really captured the mood and the feel of a Fleming Bond novel. Excellent work. I've been working on a Bond script (who hasn't?) for some months now and if I can create the essence of a Bond film to the same extent that you have to the books, then I will be a happy man indeed.
Looks like I'll be shelling out some cash for a new black ink cartridge sometime soon.
Well done.

Vodka Martino