35 replies to this topic

#31 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:59 AM

Saw On The Fiddle earlier. Print could've been a little better but it was watchable. Not something I'm going to rush out and buy, though. The star, Albert Lynch, reminded me of Roddy McDowell.

I had pretty much the same thoughts.

Glad I finally saw it, don't care if I ever see it again. It was a bit strange watching Connery as a rather dim, but well meaning character. He had the physical part down, though.

The only real other Bond connection I found in the film was Peter Hunt was the editor.

#32 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

Saw On The Fiddle earlier. Print could've been a little better but it was watchable. Not something I'm going to rush out and buy, though. The star, Albert Lynch, reminded me of Roddy McDowell.

I had pretty much the same thoughts.

Glad I finally saw it, don't care if I ever see it again. It was a bit strange watching Connery as a rather dim, but well meaning character. He had the physical part down, though.

The only real other Bond connection I found in the film was Peter Hunt was the editor.

I find it funny that the U.S. title for it is Operation Snafu.

For those interested in seeing what the Blu-ray of You Only Live Twice may look like when it comes to the colors, make sure you watch when it's on TCM next Friday since I checked the clips that were posted today on their site and its not the Special or Ultimate Edition versions but a new remaster that looks similar to the UE except they fixed the muted color issue that was a problem with the UE DVD which makes the colors more correct to Freddie Young's vision. The clips are located here.

#33 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:37 AM

This deal is pretty sweet. Just finished watching GF, and I'm in the middle of TB right now. GF was, sadly, shown in 4:3, but TB is wonderfully shown in widescreen, both showcasing the Lowery remastering.

Big thanks to TCM for a nice Bondian evening.

#34 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

This deal is pretty sweet. Just finished watching GF, and I'm in the middle of TB right now. GF was, sadly, shown in 4:3, but TB is wonderfully shown in widescreen, both showcasing the Lowery remastering.

Yes, it was nice but where I lived TCM played GF in it's original 1.66:1 widescreen aspect ratio which fills a 4:3 screen almost fully except for a couple of small black bars so you may have been confused by this since TB has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio which would be a traditional widesreen or your TV could have cut it off through overscan.

#35 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

Yes, it was nice but where I lived TCM played GF in it's original 1.66:1 widescreen aspect ratio which fills a 4:3 screen almost fully except for a couple of small black bars so you may have been confused by this since TB has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio which would be a traditional widesreen or your TV could have cut it off through overscan.

No black bars at all when I saw GF. Don't know why. Perfectly fine, though-- how many hundreds of times have we all watched GF on home video before the advent of DVD? B)

#36 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

That is strange. I think your cable or satilite company may of caused it since it was in widescreen on its second showing.