35 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

According to TCM's (U.S. TV channel) May schedule, Sean Connery will be the star of the month and on every Friday night in May they will be playing 3 Sean Connery films including all of his Bond films commercial free and in their original widescreen format plus his Bond films will be repeated on each Saturday starting at 2 PM ET. Here is a full schedule of movies (all times ET):

Friday, May 1

Dr. No 8PM
From Russia With Love 10PM
On the Fiddle 12AM

Saturday May 2

Dr. No 2PM
From Russia With Love 4PM

Friday, May 8

Goldfinger 8PM
Thunderball 10PM
Woman of Straw 12:15AM

Saturday, May 9

Goldfinger 2PM
Thunderball 4PM

Friday, May 15

You Only Live Twice 8PM
Diamonds Are Forever 10PM
The Anderson Tapes 12:15AM

Saturday, May 16

You Only Live Twice 2PM
Diamonds Are Forever 4PM

Friday, May 22

Marnie 8PM
The Hill 10:15PM
The Russia House 12:30AM

Friday, May 29

The Wind and the Lion 8PM
The Great Train Robbery 10:15PM
Robin and Marion 12:15AM

Here is a link to the schedule:

TCM May 2009 Schedule

Edited by Joe Bond, 24 February 2009 - 02:43 PM.

#2 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

Too bad they're not including Tarzan's Greatest Adventure (1959). Connery has a small role, but it's such a fun entry in the Tarzan series.

#3 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

I've never seen "On The Fiddle" so, will definitely give that one a watch. I wish they were showing films like "Another Time, Another Place" and "The Frightened City".

#4 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

Too bad they're not including Tarzan's Greatest Adventure (1959). Connery has a small role, but it's such a fun entry in the Tarzan series.

They probably couldn't get the rights or since Connery was not starring in it but I do remember a Sean Connery Day back in August of 2007 where they did not play his Bond movies so they played a couple of movies where he had a small role like Hell Drivers, and Action of the Tiger (which was directed by Terence Young). As far as the Bond films, I thought this would never happen since I thought Spike would just play them but it looks like Spike is trying to make money off of the classic Bond films during times when they don't play them and I am glad that TCM found a way to get them since its better than most premium channels when presenting movies since they are usually in their original widescreen and uncut plus there are NO COMMERCIALS like Spike TV has. Plus you get an introduction to the movie by film historian Robert Osborne on Friday nights and Ben Mankiewicz on Saturdays.

#5 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if George Lazenby was Star of the Month for June and we'd get non-stop showings of OHMSS, The Kentucky Fried Movie, and The Man from Hong Kong? :(

#6 0012

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

Awesome! Finally a chance to catch up on some Sean Connery movies! Although I wish they'd play favorites like The Untouchables as well.

I don't suppose they'd ever play Highlander...

#7 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

They probably couldn't get the rights or since Connery was not starring in it but I do remember a Sean Connery Day back in August of 2007 where they did not play his Bond movies so they played a couple of movies where he had a small role like Hell Drivers, and Action of the Tiger (which was directed by Terence Young). As far as the Bond films, I thought this would never happen since I thought Spike would just play them but it looks like Spike is trying to make money off of the classic Bond films during times when they don't play them and I am glad that TCM found a way to get them since its better than most premium channels when presenting movies since they are usually in their original widescreen and uncut plus there are NO COMMERCIALS like Spike TV has. Plus you get an introduction to the movie by film historian Robert Osborne on Friday nights and Ben Mankiewicz on Saturdays.

The Tarzan movie is a Paramount property, and Turner Classic Movies has played other Paramount films, like The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock among many others.

I haven't seen Tarzan's Greatest Adventure in nearly twenty years and even that was on a local affiliate which have become nearly extinct. :(

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

Nice find, Joe Bond. :(

#9 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:08 AM

I guess they chose not to show Tarzan's Greatest Adventure. I have it on tape. One of the better Gordon Scott Tarzans.

I'm really surprised there hasn't been a full blown Tarzan box set that features every Tarzan film. One studio probably doesn't have the rights to all of them. What might be easier to do would be box sets on each actor-Weismueller set, Barker set, Scott set, Mahoney set, Henry set, etc.

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:29 AM

I've never seen "On The Fiddle" so, will definitely give that one a watch. I wish they were showing films like "Another Time, Another Place" and "The Frightened City".

I also have never seen On the Fiddle, so I also am looking forward to that. Haven't seen those either, which sort of makes this disappointing in a way. In particular, I've always wanted to see The Offence, which never seems to get played.

I'm sure it's a nice move for TCM to have the Bonds, but those are beyond easy to see.

#11 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

I also have never seen On the Fiddle, so I also am looking forward to that. Haven't seen those either, which sort of makes this disappointing in a way. In particular, I've always wanted to see The Offence, which never seems to get played.

I'm sure it's a nice move for TCM to have the Bonds, but those are beyond easy to see.

Probably because they could not get the rights to those movies since they don't earn money through advertising they have a limited budget to buy rights to movies.

By the way Qwerty, the news article on the CBN homepage gives the wrong showtime for the first showing of Dr. No on the article it says 9PM when it should say 8PM.

#12 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

Good line-up, I'll drop in for a few movies.

#13 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

Perhaps between movies they'll have some Connery related featurettes etc. as filler

#14 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

After an eternally long hiatus without TCM (a year and a half), I'm pleased that I have the channel once again and can enjoy May's Connery Star of the Month. I've never seen The Anderson Tapes and I look forward to sampling its early-1970s charm...

#15 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Sweet, there is a couple there I've always wanted to see.

darthbond

#16 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

After an eternally long hiatus without TCM (a year and a half), I'm pleased that I have the channel once again and can enjoy May's Connery Star of the Month. I've never seen The Anderson Tapes and I look forward to sampling its early-1970s charm...

It's great. Connery and Walken on screen together? How can any mortal man resist such a pairing!

#17 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Here is TCM's ad for Sean Connery's Star of the Month and its pretty good if you ask me:

#18 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

Well, at least they take advantage of the iconic Binder dots... B)

Also, is it wrong that I could tell which Bond or Connery movie each clip came from? :tdown:

#19 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:53 AM

Well, at least they take advantage of the iconic Binder dots... B)

Also, is it wrong that I could tell which Bond or Connery movie each clip came from? :tdown:

It would be wrong if you couldn't!

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

Probably because they could not get the rights to those movies since they don't earn money through advertising they have a limited budget to buy rights to movies.

By the way Qwerty, the news article on the CBN homepage gives the wrong showtime for the first showing of Dr. No on the article it says 9PM when it should say 8PM.

Thanks, Joe Bond. Just fixed that.

#21 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

Thanks, Joe Bond. Just fixed that.

Your more than welcome and I can't wait to see Dr. No on TCM tomorrow night! Finally, the Connery Bond's will be played on a channel that they deserve. I personally think that TCM should try and get the rights to other Bond films to play in future months because it's cool when you see them in widescreen and with no commercials which is like watching the DVD without even having to pull the actual DVD out.

#22 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

Your more than welcome and I can't wait to see Dr. No on TCM tomorrow night! Finally, the Connery Bond's will be played on a channel that they deserve. I personally think that TCM should try and get the rights to other Bond films to play in future months because it's cool when you see them in widescreen and with no commercials which is like watching the DVD without even having to pull the actual DVD out.

I agree! I never get excited when SPIKE airs the Bond films because of the shoddy presentation, endless commercials ("Hi, I'm Billy Mays!!!")but with TCM, the movies get the respect they deserve. I'm looking forward to all the films offered in Connery's "Star of the Month" spotlight.

#23 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

Friday, May 1

Dr. No 8PM
From Russia With Love 10PM

Back to back! Woot! B)

#24 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

I wish I had TCM B)

#25 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

Saw On The Fiddle earlier. Print could've been a little better but it was watchable. Not something I'm going to rush out and buy, though. The star, Albert Lynch, reminded me of Roddy McDowell.

#26 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:38 AM

Saw On The Fiddle earlier. Print could've been a little better but it was watchable. Not something I'm going to rush out and buy, though. The star, Albert Lynch, reminded me of Roddy McDowell.

Still amusing, though. Made a good "I'm bored this late at night, may as well watch it" flick.

#27 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

Here is a entry to the HMSS webblog where they are complaining about the version's that TCM played of DN and FRWL, the UE versions, and the writer is complaining of all things of the fact that "The End" text in the FRWL end credits starts too early and the text is blue and not white and blames the restoration process for it so I posted some comments on this article saying that the differences could of been on the "original negative" and the editors came back saying they had seen a 1970 "theatrical" print as evidence that they were correct but couldn't the original negative really have blue end credit text and faded to white by the time 1970 came around and "The End" on the original negative could have been different on the original negative compared to a theatrical print. Here is a link to the blog entry:

http://hmssweblog.wo...ed/#comment-247

I am just tired of some people who take shots at the UE versions of the films especially if its FRWL which I was under the impression that most people thought there were no mistakes made during the restoration process plus complaining about the color of the end titles is a little nit picky to me. It's like being a armchair quarterback second guessing the people who restored the film without knowing the process to restore a film and citing a "theatrical" print as the reason they are right despite the fact that the UE's did not use theatrical prints as their source.

#28 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:46 PM

After watching the clips of Thunderball on TCM's website I noticed that the color in certain scenes are different from the UE but are identical to the Blu-ray especially in the gunbarrel sequence where the color in the dot behind Bond is more peach like the Blu-ray than the gray look in the UE version, so it seems they are playing the Blu-ray print of this film.

#29 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

After watching the clips of Thunderball on TCM's website I noticed that the color in certain scenes are different from the UE but are identical to the Blu-ray especially in the gunbarrel sequence where the color in the dot behind Bond is more peach like the Blu-ray than the gray look in the UE version, so it seems they are playing the Blu-ray print of this film.

Why does the Blu-Ray look different from the UE? Isn't the Blu-Ray taken from the UE restorations? :tdown:

Also, they squished the titles! How could they do that? B)

#30 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

Why does the Blu-Ray look different from the UE? Isn't the Blu-Ray taken from the UE restorations? :tdown:

Also, they squished the titles! How could they do that? B)

For all of the Bond Blu-ray's Lowry seems to have corrected mistakes made in the UE DVD's like the main title sequence in LALD does not have the overly bright orange color which was too bright, and when it comes to TB they have made the colors more correct like during the gunbarrel sequence as Bond is walking in the dot across the screen, the color of the background of the dot is grey in the UE DVD but in the Blu-ray its more of a peach color which is more correct since the UE DVD had really nice colors but they were a tad muted and the Blu-ray fixed that. Plus the DTS track in the Blu-ray reinstates the original sound effect when the door opens when Largo enters the SPECTRE briefing room. So I assume that the other mistakes will be fixed like the OHMSS blue tinge in the pre-title sequence as well as YOLT muted color issues.

DVDbeaver screenshot comparisons.

Now keep in mind that some of color changes could be due to the increased resolution of Blu-ray but since the color changed from grey to peach in the gunbarrell is too big of a change and the TCM clips have the new colors so it can't be due to increased resolution but to a new print.

I agree with you on the squishing of the titles especially on the Blu-ray's which would make no sense since most HDTV's don't over-scan so the likelihood that some of the titles would get cut off is highly unlikely.