#61 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

I must also plug Dollhouse here.

The first couple of episodes weren't fantastic due to the writers not getting enough free reign from the network, but the quality has been pretty frakkin' amazing for the past couple of weeks. It frustrates me incredibly that a cancellation seems nigh, because it feels like once again, intelligent TV is getting punished.

Dollhouse really affects me because it asks very complicated questions, mostly: can evil things be good too? There's a huge gray area there and I am often both entertained and disturbed when watching it. I like a show that is that challenging.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a second season.

#62 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

I've been watching the original UK version of Life On Mars, and I just watched the first episode of The Prisoner.

How does the Bir LOM compare with the U.S. version? I liked the update fine, but was not blown away by the 'twist' ending. Then again, I've heard the Brit version's ending was not all that satisfactory.

#63 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

I've been watching the original UK version of Life On Mars, and I just watched the first episode of The Prisoner.

How does the Bir LOM compare with the U.S. version? I liked the update fine, but was not blown away by the 'twist' ending. Then again, I've heard the Brit version's ending was not all that satisfactory.

Yeah, the American ending was lame. I've only just finished the first season of the British version, so I haven't seen the ending yet.

As far as comparison, it's tough to say. I guess I have a preference for the American version, because it depicts a world that's more familiar to me, and has actors I'm familiar with. That's not to say it's necessarily better, but it's easier for me to relate to. As far as the different actors:
  • Sam Tyler: I prefer Jason O'Mara to John Simm. It's not that O'Mara plays the part better than Simm; he just plays it differently. I find his Tyler more likeable than Simm's.
  • Gene Hunt: It's a toss-up. Glenister and Keitel both play the role well, but in different ways.
  • Chris Skelton: I have to give it to the Jonathan Murphy, mostly because 90% of the time, I can't understand what Marshall Lancaster is saying.
  • Annie Cartwright/Norris: This is a toss-up too. Sometimes I have a preference for Gretchen Mol, and other times for Liz White. They're both just so good.
  • Ray Carling: This one's easy. Michael Imperioli is far superior to Dean Andrews. There's so much more depth to his character. Andrews played the part well enough, but his Ray pales in comparison to Imperioli's.
On a side note, Sam's mother in the UK version is much prettier than his mother in the US version. B)

#64 Manticore

Manticore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

The Unit season 3.

#65 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

5+ hours of The Masters golf tournament. Quite a good one this year!

Yep, I was also glued to it the other day. Great finish!

Recently, I've been ploughing through a mixture of THE OFFICE (US) and THE WIRE. Also started on the first episode of MAD MEN. Plus, 24 every week naturally.

#66 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

The Apprentice (US)

I'm a masochist. I hate Donald Trump and the show is cheesy, but I tune in every sunday night regardless for a 2 hour show that seems neverending when you are watching it.

Next episode they are bringing back Piers Morgan, the douchebag that won last year to help spice things up as an observer/judge.

Tonight I'm watching Medium, which I taped last night, and American Lambert, I mean American Idol.

#67 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Watched The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and 24! B) :tdown:

#68 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

American Idol

#69 Doctor No

Doctor No

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

ER
Las Vegas

Edited by Doctor No, 15 April 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#70 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

The Paul O'Grady Show

#71 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

Season 5 premier of The Deadliest Catch...

#72 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

Hells Kitchen! Suprisingly entertaining!

#73 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:20 AM

Just watched a documentary about Nostradamus on the History Channel. Honestly, the predictions kind of spooked me a little. B)

#74 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:45 AM

Hells Kitchen! Suprisingly entertaining!

I've started watching the show this season and have found it to be rather, surprisingly, entertaining.

The last shows that I've watched have been first season episodes of HEROES and CHUCK on DVD. Hopefully both will be renewed for another season in the fall, by which time I plan to be caught up on both so that I can actually pick them up and watch them on their regular nights when (hopefully) the new seasons begin.

#75 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

Local news

#76 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:16 AM

Prison Break, first of the final 5 episodes. I'm gonna miss this show.

#77 Doctor No

Doctor No

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

#78 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

Desperate Housewives - where Edie gets shocked, and dies!

#79 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

I know! Poor Edie. :tdown:

Family Guy! B)

#80 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

24!!!

#81 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:12 AM

Same here, 24!

#82 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:28 AM

The Big Bang Theory. It amuses me, most of the time.

#83 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:26 AM

WWE Raw

#84 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

I spent most of the day yesterday watching The Prisoner.

#85 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

Currently catching up on some season 2 episodes of CHUCK. As I'm someone who, up until recently, had not followed a TV show for nearly a decade, I unfortunately missed out on the start of this brilliant TV show. I'm also someone who does not like to watch shows out of order (such as, I don't like watching a second season of a show when I've seen nothing from the first, unless it's a procedural show that is largely made up of self-contained episodes), which has also kept me from watching season 2 of CHUCK on its regular nights. I finally finished season 1 not too long ago, and am watching season 2 thanks to iTunes, and I have to say that this is a brilliant show that I wish I had been watching from the beginning. Hopefully NBC will bring it back for a third season, as it's easily the best show on TV right now, IMHO.

On a separate note, EON really needs to get CHUCK's female lead, Yvonne Strahovski, into a Bond film. She's fantastic on the show, and would make for a great Bond girl somewhere down the line.

#86 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

Currently catching up on some season 2 episodes of CHUCK. As I'm someone who, up until recently, had not followed a TV show for nearly a decade, I unfortunately missed out on the start of this brilliant TV show. I'm also someone who does not like to watch shows out of order (such as, I don't like watching a second season of a show when I've seen nothing from the first, unless it's a procedural show that is largely made up of self-contained episodes), which has also kept me from watching season 2 of CHUCK on its regular nights. I finally finished season 1 not too long ago, and am watching season 2 thanks to iTunes, and I have to say that this is a brilliant show that I wish I had been watching from the beginning. Hopefully NBC will bring it back for a third season, as it's easily the best show on TV right now, IMHO.

On a separate note, EON really needs to get CHUCK's female lead, Yvonne Strahovski, into a Bond film. She's fantastic on the show, and would make for a great Bond girl somewhere down the line.

Completely agree that Chuck is a great show and Agent Walker would be an excellent Bond Girl. B)

Like you, I hate watching a true series out of sequence.

#87 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:57 PM

I was thinking the same thing watching Chuck last night. She is actually Australian, so if they ever send Bond to Australia, she could be perfect.

#88 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

Completely agree that Chuck is a great show and Agent Walker would be an excellent Bond Girl. B)

Like you, I hate watching a true series out of sequence.

I will say, however, that I think that it's great that the networks are now offering their shows to be viewed online so that those of use who can't watch the shows on the night that they air have a chance to see them at another time, which is what I hope is happening with CHUCK (since it appears to be on the bubble for next season due to a relatively small viewership when compared with other shows).

I think my new "policy" for TV viewing is going to change significantly in the fall. In order to not miss out on any great shows, I think that taking in all the pilots that are produced for the fall season may be something that I end up doing. If I don't like one of the shows, then I've only wasted an hour, and can move on to something else, but could end up with a new favorite show if one of them turns out to be great.

I was thinking the same thing watching Chuck last night. She is actually Australian, so if they ever send Bond to Australia, she could be perfect.

I'm definitely up for Bond making a trip to Australia (I think that, much like Canada, it's a destination that is long overdue to appear in a Bond film), and agree that Strahovski would be perfect for the role of an Australian Bond girl. She also does a very good American accent, as evidenced on CHUCK, so if Bond continues its trend of not visiting Australia, then I think that she could easily step in as an American Bond girl as well, and be much better than the other American Bond girls we've had in the past.

Edited by tdalton, 21 April 2009 - 11:03 PM.

#89 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:03 PM

Have you checked out Burn Notice yet?

#90 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

Have you checked out Burn Notice yet?

I haven't gotten to that one, although I do admit that it looks good, and plan to at some point.

The USA Network, even though they're either owned or closely tied with NBC (who hardly ever allow great shows a chance if the ratings slip), has shown that they're willing to stick by great shows. I was thrilled when USA took on the LAW AND ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT series from NBC and has continued to be successful with it. I think that, since USA doesn't appear to have as quick of a trigger-finger in terms of cancelling shows, that I've got a bit more time to catch up on BURN NOTICE than I do with shows such as CHUCK. Come to think of it, should NBC decide not to bring CHUCK back, then USA should really consider trying to acquire it for their lineup. Who knows, might even make the show better since the cable standards are more relaxed than those for the networks.

As for BURN NOTICE, I think that it, along with HEROES (which I've enjoyed a great deal of the first season, although I do understand that it's quality drops significantly as the series goes) will be my "projects" for the summer in terms of catching up on them to, hopefully, be able to join back up when the new seasons premiere in the fall (in addition to, hopefully, CHUCK).