#211 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

Am I warm? B)

No. Ian has already said negotiations are ongoing with a well known British actor in his 40s. Shame though. Penry-Jones would have been one of my top choices too.

Damn, I thought I was.
Being a well known actor gets me though in his 40's.
There are tons of actors younger that would be a great choice.

#212 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:31 AM

Although I appreciate the camera can get away with a lot, if the actor is the right height then it's one less thing to worry about. It's evident how important height is to Bond when one realizes the first five actor were all over the benchmark of 6'0.

I'm not sure about the heights of some Saint actors, but IMDB records the following:

Louis Hayward as 5'10½ (5'9 according to Burl Barer, the Saint biographer)
George Sanders as 6'3½;
Hugh Sinclair ? But he looked at least 6'0
Roger Moore 6'2 (6'1 elsewhere)
Ian Ogilvy 6'0
Andrew Clarke ? But I think he's definitely over 6'0
Simon Dutton ? I'd guess around 5'11 to 6'0. Ian Dickerson might have a better idea, as I think he's met him.
Val Kilmer 6'0

Sorry, quite anal of me to start listing heights, but I am curious. They're mostly on the tall side, though.

Official stats can be unreliable and though I've never met either gentlemen I don't think Moore or Ogilvy (especially) are 6ft. Their slender builds back in the day gave them added on-screen height but when you compare them to their (male and female) co-stars neither appears particularly tall.

Could be wrong though! B)

#213 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:41 AM

Although I appreciate the camera can get away with a lot, if the actor is the right height then it's one less thing to worry about. It's evident how important height is to Bond when one realizes the first five actor were all over the benchmark of 6'0.

I'm not sure about the heights of some Saint actors, but IMDB records the following:

Louis Hayward as 5'10½ (5'9 according to Burl Barer, the Saint biographer)
George Sanders as 6'3½;
Hugh Sinclair ? But he looked at least 6'0
Roger Moore 6'2 (6'1 elsewhere)
Ian Ogilvy 6'0
Andrew Clarke ? But I think he's definitely over 6'0
Simon Dutton ? I'd guess around 5'11 to 6'0. Ian Dickerson might have a better idea, as I think he's met him.
Val Kilmer 6'0

Sorry, quite anal of me to start listing heights, but I am curious. They're mostly on the tall side, though.

Official stats can be unreliable and though I've never met either gentlemen I don't think Moore or Ogilvy (especially) are 6ft. Their slender builds back in the day gave them added on-screen height but when you compare them to their (male and female) co-stars neither appears particularly tall.

Could be wrong though! B)

Roger Moore was definitely at least 6' on the nose back in the days of the Saint and Bond. I would guess 6'1". Wouldn't be surprised if he shrank with old age, like a lot of people, though. Ogilvy I would say was 5'11"/6' at the time of Return of the Saint, likely the latter.

#214 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

Roger Moore was definitely at least 6' on the nose back in the days of the Saint and Bond. I would guess 6'1". Wouldn't be surprised if he shrank with old age, like a lot of people, though. Ogilvy I would say was 5'11"/6' at the time of Return of the Saint, likely the latter.

Ian Ogilvy is 6 foot tall.

Ian

#215 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:49 AM

There are tons of actors younger that would be a great choice.

Completely agree but if you look at TV shows today of this ilk then leading men tend to be in their 40s (Leverage, Burn Notice etc.)

Ian

#216 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

How about Rupert Everett? Ok he is 50, but I see him as something of a latter day George Sanders

#217 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

Rupert Penry-Jones? Ex BBC Spooks (MI5) actor.
Am I warm? B)

Few months ago you would have been very warm but it was deemed that he doesn't have a good enough profile Stateside

Ian

#218 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

Jason Connery or Michael Sheen. Only thing is Jason is not very well known in the States anymore.

#219 St Louis

St Louis

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

Am I warm? B)

Few months ago you would have been very warm but it was deemed that he doesn't have a good enough profile Stateside

Ian

This is a shame. I thought Rupert was great in Spooks. He does remind me a little of Ian Ogilvy too.

#220 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

Am I warm? B)

Ian

Nor did Craig before Bond so since when did that stop people from hiring actors?
RPJ would have made a brilliant Saint. :tdown:

Having a higher profile actor surely would detract from the role?
Give us another hint please! Dark or blonde?

#221 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

Depends on the actor. I happen to think the guy in the frame for the role will make a great Saint--and yes, I'm obviously biased--but I really do think that, with a dash of luck and a lot of hard work, this stands a chance of going to series and becoming something special.

Word is that offers will be going out to folk this week so hopefully I can spill some more beans soon for now, since imdb have already named him, I can confirm the director for the pilot will be TJ Scott.

Ian

#222 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:45 PM

Depends on the actor. I happen to think the guy in the frame for the role will make a great Saint--and yes, I'm obviously biased--but I really do think that, with a dash of luck and a lot of hard work, this stands a chance of going to series and becoming something special.

Word is that offers will be going out to folk this week so hopefully I can spill some more beans soon for now, since imdb have already named him, I can confirm the director for the pilot will be TJ Scott.

Ian

Just a clue maybe? Hair colour? Eye colour?
Clive Owen?
45 yrs old, 6 ft 2".
Got it....Gerard Butler!!!
40 yrs old, 6 ft 1".

#223 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

40 yrs old, 6 ft 1".

He was discussed. But it's not him.

Ian

#224 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

40 yrs old, 6 ft 1".

Ian

Clive? You didn't answer that one. B) :tdown:

#225 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

40 yrs old, 6 ft 1".

Ian

god. please.no. The Saint is supposed to have some charm and personality. Besides I think Clive Owen to too big of a movie star to commit to a TV series (unless everyone involved in movies have finally realized he is box office poison and quit offering him movie roles).

#226 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

40 yrs old, 6 ft 1".

Ian

god. please.no. The Saint is supposed to have some charm and personality. Besides I think Clive Owen to too big of a movie star to commit to a TV series (unless everyone involved in movies have finally realized he is box office poison and quit offering him movie roles).

I agree totally with you but that's all I can think of and as Ian hasn't disagreed..and Owen might think this is the nearest he'll get to Bond...

#227 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

Could you perhaps tell us what medium his most recent project was? Naturally I don't expect you to be able to tell us what it is specifically as that could give it away, but knowing if it were TV vs film gives us some more of an idea of whom could be in consideration.

#228 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:12 PM

I agree totally with you but that's all I can think of and as Ian hasn't disagreed..and Owen might think this is the nearest he'll get to Bond...

Consider this me disagreeing...

Ian

Could you perhaps tell us what medium his most recent project was?

Yup. As of this weekend it was a round of golf.

Naturally I don't expect you to be able to tell us what it is specifically as that could give it away, but knowing if it were TV vs film gives us some more of an idea of whom could be in consideration.

Well he's done both. Recently finished what I'm guessing will be a relatively high profile TV series and has a few films on the go as well.

Ian

#229 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:26 PM

Ian

Any of these offers involve other members of the cast? Or is casting on hold until the leading man's services are secured?

#230 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Any of these offers involve other members of the cast? Or is casting on hold until the leading man's services are secured?

Mainly crew so that proper pre-production can start (location manager etc.). But yes, the leading man is kinda key. Can't really cast the supporting characters until we know what sort of chemistry he has with certain ladies or Chief Inspectors.

Ian

#231 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

Been going through wiki's list of British actors just to see if I've missed anyone in my trying to think of actors in their 40s. Perhaps he's been mentioned before and already ruled out, and he doesn't seem very Saintly to me (though I haven't seen him in much), but has anyone else thought of Tim Roth?

#232 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

A round of golf?? Hardly something we would know.

Does the man have black or blonde hair?

#233 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

Been going through wiki's list of British actors just to see if I've missed anyone in my trying to think of actors in their 40s. Perhaps he's been mentioned before and already ruled out, and he doesn't seem very Saintly to me (though I haven't seen him in much), but has anyone else thought of Tim Roth?

I mentioned him on the previous page along with a bunch of other unlikely candidates. In fact if it's any of those candidates in that particular post of mine, I'll walk down the street naked with a halo on my personal best.

#234 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

I mentioned him on the previous page along with a bunch of other unlikely candidates. In fact if it's any of those candidates in that particular post of mine, I'll walk down the street naked with a halo on my personal best.

Ooh err....a walking saint no less. :tdown:

Why can't Ian let us know black or blonde hair? B)
:tdown: Could give us that at least.

#235 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

A round of golf?? Hardly something we would know.

Does the man have black or blonde hair?

He's not blonde.

And he mentioned he was off to Vancouver in a TV news interview he did to promote the golfing event. So if anyone on here was watching the (UK)TV news over the weekend, they might well be able to put two and two together...

Ian

#236 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

Naturally I don't expect you to be able to tell us what it is specifically as that could give it away, but knowing if it were TV vs film gives us some more of an idea of whom could be in consideration.

Well he's done both. Recently finished what I'm guessing will be a relatively high profile TV series and has a few films on the go as well.

Ian

Doo-doodoo-doo-doo-Dou-gray...

#237 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

Ian

Doo-doodoo-doo-doo-Dou-gray...

No, not DougRay Scott? How is he known Stateside?
Posted Image
Well there you go, The Saint and Bond.

#238 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:22 AM

Is he really being considered? Just watched him in Hitman (which I got for Olga, not him).

#239 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:47 AM

Is he really being considered? Just watched him in Hitman (which I got for Olga, not him).

I don't know at this point whether it's true or what. B)
We'll see soon enough I guess.

#240 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:55 AM

No, not DougRay Scott? How is he known Stateside?

Mostly from Mission Impossible 2 and he was on Desperate Housewives for a while.

Dougray Scott is a golfer B)