1078 replies to this topic

#151 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

As far as I know Northam's committed to Miami Trauma.

Anyway, I've just posted news of the latest actor to pick up the halo at www.lesliecharteris.com. It's Simon Jones of Hitch-Hiker's fame. And no, I'm not kidding.

Ian

Ha, you had me going for a moment there. While the news of a new radio version of The Saint starring Simon Jones is certainly of interest, it's not the news I'm anxiously waiting for!

So Northam's new show has indeed scuppered his involvement, or more likely, he was never your man in the first place. Assuming that your previous clues about a well known Brit actor in his 40's are still valid, and with Purefoy, Northam, and Barrowman ruled out, the field is begining to narrow and I'm intrigued more than ever.

I can't believe that Hugh Grant, Ralph Fiennes, or Clive Owen would be tempted to do a TV film. Jason Isaacs, Dougray Scott, and Rufus Sewell seem a bit rough round the edges. Colin Firth and Rupert Everett are both pushing 50. That leaves Greg Wise, Jonathan Cake, and Lloyd Owen as the only possibles I can think of. All of them appear to have a clear schedule, but I'm going to guess Greg Wise.

#152 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

As far as I know Northam's committed to Miami Trauma.

Anyway, I've just posted news of the latest actor to pick up the halo at www.lesliecharteris.com. It's Simon Jones of Hitch-Hiker's fame. And no, I'm not kidding.

Ian

Ha, you had me going for a moment there. While the news of a new radio version of The Saint starring Simon Jones is certainly of interest, it's not the news I'm anxiously waiting for!

So Northam's new show has indeed scuppered his involvement, or more likely, he was never your man in the first place. Assuming that your previous clues about a well known Brit actor in his 40's are still valid, and with Purefoy, Northam, and Barrowman ruled out, the field is begining to narrow and I'm intrigued more than ever.

I can't believe that Hugh Grant, Ralph Fiennes, or Clive Owen would be tempted to do a TV film. Jason Isaacs, Dougray Scott, and Rufus Sewell seem a bit rough round the edges. Colin Firth and Rupert Everett are both pushing 50. That leaves Greg Wise, Jonathan Cake, and Lloyd Owen as the only possibles I can think of. All of them appear to have a clear schedule, but I'm going to guess Greg Wise.

Rufus Sewell would be a good choice and ideally timed with 11th Hour's cancellation;
Dougray Scott is also well known to US tv audiences...

#153 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:16 AM

Maybe it's just me or bad photography or something but Sewell's face in just about everything Google Images is popping up is screaming "villain" to me. That said, not ruling him out. Just random observations on the part of a bored man. Probably doesn't help that I'm a bit predisposed to Roger's Templar.

#154 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:29 AM

Maybe it's just me or bad photography or something but Sewell's face in just about everything Google Images is popping up is screaming "villain" to me. That said, not ruling him out. Just random observations on the part of a bored man. Probably doesn't help that I'm a bit predisposed to Roger's Templar.

Ah yes. So right about that. A fine actor though not the leading man type. I think Dougray will do fine but don't know if his age will deter from getting the part.

#155 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

I agree that Sewell is more of a villain type. At the time negotiations started with the new Saint actor, Sewell would have been committed to Eleventh Hour anyway so he's not likely to be our man.

We know that the new Saint is in his 40's so I wouldn't rule out Dougray Scott because of his age. (Scott is 43). I'd be happy with Scott, but Ian has already said that the new Saint is not like Craig and is outwardly a gentleman. I'm guessing that Scott is grittier than what they were looking for. Greg Wise is the new Templar. (I've been spectacularly wrong twice already in this thread so take that with a pinch of salt).

#156 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

I agree that Sewell is more of a villain type. At the time negotiations started with the new Saint actor, Sewell would have been committed to Eleventh Hour anyway so he's not likely to be our man.

We know that the new Saint is in his 40's so I wouldn't rule out Dougray Scott because of his age. (Scott is 43). I'd be happy with Scott, but Ian has already said that the new Saint is not like Craig and is outwardly a gentleman. I'm guessing that Scott is grittier than what they were looking for. Greg Wise is the new Templar. (I've been spectacularly wrong twice already in this thread so take that with a pinch of salt).

Wrong again I'm afraid...

Ian

#157 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Heh- that's fun! I can't remember if it's already been disproved, but I'd be happy with Hugh Grant. I think he could do it.

#158 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

Wrong again I'm afraid...

Ian

This is getting embarrassing. My next guess is Jonathan Cake. At 41 he's a good age for it, and he's about the only one left who seems likely.

Heh- that's fun! I can't remember if it's already been disproved, but I'd be happy with Hugh Grant. I think he could do it.

I'm beginning to wonder about Grant. I'd previously written him off as being too big for a TV movie, but the length of time negotiations are taking might indicate a big name, and this might provide an escape from his romcom image. On the other hand, at 48 he's a bit old, and he claims he turned down the chance to play Templar in the '97 film. Would he really be interested in a TV version all these years later?

#159 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

I'm beginning to wonder about Grant. I'd previously written him off as being too big for a TV movie, but the length of time negotiations are taking might indicate a big name, and this might provide an escape from his romcom image. On the other hand, at 48 he's a bit old, and he claims he turned down the chance to play Templar in the '97 film. Would he really be interested in a TV version all these years later?

Ah I didn't know he turned down the '97 one; but then he was at his height then and The Saint movie wasn't much cop so he was probably right to do so at the time. Right now his film career is perhaps on the downturn slightly, and I've heard he's expressed regret about not doing Doctor Who when he was considered to do it in 2005 so he might not completely rule out TV work. This Saint series sounds a bit bigger than your average TV show so perhaps wouldn't spoil his status as a movie star (and may even transfer to screen at some point I suppose)... as you say though, he is perhaps getting on a little and anyone's who's seen his Top Gear interview knows he isn't exactly in top physical shape! B) Tricky one.
Somehow I doubt he is the guy who's looking at signing, but I don't think it would be impossible for him to do it.

#160 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Funnily enough, I've just been on Youtube to see what kind of physical shape Grant is in, and that Top Gear interview was the first thing I looked at. I think it's feasible that it's Grant. If the lengthy negotiations indicate a big name, then I think it's more likely to be Grant than Ralph Fiennes or Clive Owen.

Grant's well known dislike of acting worries me though. He recently scuppered Richard Curtis' latest film by walking away at the last minute. If he is the new Saint, they need to get him signed and on set pronto before he buggers off in a huff!

#161 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

Can't be Grant. He is still a major movie star. I doubt it will interest him. Also they need a leading man in his late 30's to continue with the series. Henry Cavil is also a good choice.

#162 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

I don't think Scott would be too gritty at all. In fact I don't think he is gritty enough to be Bond. I think he would be a good choice for The Saint, and he is not too big of a star to to TV (heck, he did Desperate Housewives, that sounds pretty desperate to me B) )

#163 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

It's a bit of a non-issue now, but I don't think Scott is less gritty than Moore, Brosnan or Lazenby.

#164 JeffWest

JeffWest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

I interviewed Hugh Grant years ago and asked why he turned down "The Saint" movie. He said it was because the director had decided to turn the character into a "dour criminal."

I doubt Grant is the new candidate, but I'd be thrilled if he were because I still think he'd be perfect.

Incidentally, Grant also considered starring in a remake of "The Persuaders," but lost interest.

#165 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

I hope it's not Sean Bean. Like Scott I look at him as the villain.

#166 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

This is getting embarrassing. My next guess is Jonathan Cake. At 41 he's a good age for it, and he's about the only one left who seems likely.

And I'm afraid you're wrong again...!

I really hope this guy signs soon as I'll be interested in reactions...

Ian

#167 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

Looking forward to it Ian!

If, heaven forbid, he doesn't sign: will you still be able to tell who the one that got away was? B)

#168 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:09 AM

Ian

Well here's to hoping you can tell us even if he doesn't sign. I'm quite curious myself. Especially since as of late I've been getting more into the Saint (my experience was limited to one book, a season of Roger Moore, one of Dutton's films, and the Kilmer film). As a slight away-from-original-point, I daresay Ogilvy's beginning to grow on me. Liking him more than Roger. Pity the show didn't last.

#169 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

If, heaven forbid, he doesn't sign: will you still be able to tell who the one that got away was? B)

Don't see why not. This project has existed on a knife-edge for so long that if it does fall I've got a few stories to tell...and you won't believe who was being considered for the role initially...

Ian

#170 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

Grief - the expectation for this will be so high (amongst those interested in it genesis) if indeed it does go ahead.

Is the only thing outstanding now the main actor? Or are there other major considerations to provide hurdles?

#171 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

Don't see why not. This project has existed on a knife-edge for so long that if it does fall I've got a few stories to tell...and you won't believe who was being considered for the role initially...

Ian

Hi Ian,
thanks for all the info. Appreciate it. Been waiting so long for a Saint return. I only hope they get the basics right and keep the story entertaining. I can't imagine how a good director like Philip Noyce and Jonathan Hensliegh got Saint '97 all wrong. It's an ok movie at best but no Saint.
Anyways from the way you sound it seems like Jude Law considering it's a big name.

#172 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

I daresay Ogilvy's beginning to grow on me. Liking him more than Roger. Pity the show didn't last.

Yes, I think I prefer Ogilvy's Saint too. He's more believable somehow, Cary Grant-impression notwithstanding. His car is way cooler too, although he is somehow worse than Roger (!) at the rough stuff.

#173 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

Anyways from the way you sound it seems like Jude Law considering it's a big name.

It can't be Jude Law. Ian has already said that they're negotiating with a well known British actor in his 40's and Law is only 36.

Ian

I know what my reaction is going to be no matter who it is. I'm going to do a little jig of delight at finally finding out.

Everybody I thought was likely has now been eliminated. I must have looked at every vaguely known Brit actor in his 40's by now. I've contemplated everybody from Clive Owen at one end of the fame scale, to a couple of guys from Casualty at the other. I'm now left with a shortlist of doubtfuls but feasibles which includes Hugh Grant, Dougray Scott, Jason Isaacs, and Lloyd Owen.

Isaacs looks really busy at the moment with Harry Potter and a number of other projects. Scott also looks like he has a lot of work lined up. Lloyd Owen has hardly been blazing a trail in the US. Looking at the last three shows he's been involved in, one was cancelled after two episodes and the other two didn't make it to series.

This leaves Hugh Grant as the improbable answer. I've always thought of the Saint as a smooth Englishman, and he's the only one of the four that really says dapper English gentleman to me. Grant's presence would explain why negotiations are taking so long, therefore I'm submitting Hugh Grant as my final guess.

#174 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

It can't be Jude Law. Ian has already said that they're negotiating with a well known British actor in his 40's and Law is only 36.

Ian

I know what my reaction is going to be no matter who it is. I'm going to do a little jig of delight at finally finding out.

Everybody I thought was likely has now been eliminated. I must have looked at every vaguely known Brit actor in his 40's by now. I've contemplated everybody from Clive Owen at one end of the fame scale, to a couple of guys from Casualty at the other. I'm now left with a shortlist of doubtfuls but feasibles which includes Hugh Grant, Dougray Scott, Jason Isaacs, and Lloyd Owen.

Isaacs looks really busy at the moment with Harry Potter and a number of other projects. Scott also looks like he has a lot of work lined up. Lloyd Owen has hardly been blazing a trail in the US. Looking at the last three shows he's been involved in, one was cancelled after two episodes and the other two didn't make it to series.

This leaves Hugh Grant as the improbable answer. I've always thought of the Saint as a smooth Englishman, and he's the only one of the four that really says dapper English gentleman to me. Grant's presence would explain why negotiations are taking so long, therefore I'm submitting Hugh Grant as my final guess.

A bit too old for the part I guess. Then again I could be wrong. I wonder how he will fare with the fights. my brain has gone numb, Who are the other actors' in their 40's???

#175 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

Grief - the expectation for this will be so high (amongst those interested in it genesis) if indeed it does go ahead.

Is the only thing outstanding now the main actor? Or are there other major considerations to provide hurdles?

I'm told the only hurdle left is finding the relevant gap in the leading man's schedule.

Oh and casting the other characters of course. After all, we have to find our Patricia Holm...

Ian

#176 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:11 PM

I'm told the only hurdle left is finding the relevant gap in the leading man's schedule.

Oh and casting the other characters of course. After all, we have to find our Patricia Holm...

Ian

Ok sounds reasonable...... just another snippet though what the attire is going to be ? Casual or Formal?

#177 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

It cant be Grant...he's famous for hating acting, cant see him signing up to a big TV commitment. He'd be great though.

#178 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

A bit too old for the part I guess. Then again I could be wrong. I wonder how he will fare with the fights. my brain has gone numb, Who are the other actors' in their 40's???

Actors eliminated by Ian so far are James Purefoy, Jeremy Northam, Greg Wise, Jonathan Cake, and John Barrowman.

Actors discarded by me as not feasible are too numerous to list but include Clive Owen, Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, Rupert Everett, Rufus Sewell, Cary Elwes, David Morrissey, Ray Stevenson, Linus Roache, Mark Strong, Steven Brand, James Frain, Paul Blackthorne, Vincent Regan, Paul McGann, Peter Wingfield, Nathaniel Parker, Adrian Paul, Rupert Graves, Ben Miles, Paul Rhys, Martin Kemp, Clive Robertson and many others who regularly show up in costume dramas or TV shows like The Bill and Casualty.

#179 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

Ok sounds reasonable...... just another snippet though what the attire is going to be ? Casual or Formal?

Not been decided yet. It'll obviously be dictated by the script, but I'd suspect it'd be casual rather than formal. Leastways we don't want him looking like the shop dummy poor old Mr Dutton looked like.

Ian

#180 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

I really hope it's not Hugh Grant, I don't see him as being saintly at all. While gentelmanly, Templar also needs to be confident and tough, not foppish.

I have always thought Cary Elwes would be a decent Saint.

Ian,
can you tell us if this actor is known in the US as well as the UK?