377 replies to this topic

#331 PeteNeon

PeteNeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

The ending was absolutely awful. I sat through the start of the credits dumbfounded that the film had ended with no closure at all. It could've done with a scene showing the CIA lose track of Cross or something... something more definite that warranted the abrupt ending. As it was, it just felt like the running length had reached what they were aiming for and they decided to cut it short.

#332 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

The movie's plot was mainly about Cross needing to get his fix to stay smart. They accomplished that. What else did you expect? Identity's ending is no more definitive than Legacy.

#333 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

Quite a fun little interview with Tony Gilroy on Front Row tonight:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...Jackpot_review/

The interviewer notes the physical similarity between Renner and Daniel Craig, and Gilroy mentions that they met up on set and reveals his reactions to it! :)

Interesting interview. Thanks.

THE BOURNE LEGACY certainly has its share of problems (the pacing is off, the story becomes too silly in places and also meanders quite a bit), but on the whole I enjoyed it. Bluntly, it's the worst film of the series, although that says more about how good the other three films are than it does about how bad LEGACY is. Kudos to Gilroy for not attempting to mimic the Greengrass outings - he definitely has his own approach, and while his approach is not always successful there's some decent entertainment to be had here. Also, the film is much less action-driven than expected - a pleasant surprise given that most summer blockbusters of this genre seem to trade exclusively and exhaustingly in wall-to-wall mayhem.

I didn't miss Damon or Greengrass, although I did miss John Powell's music. A lot.

Hey Loomis Von huge Bourne fan, I've been curious about your response but since my computer died two weeks ago I've been away...saw the film...and I was disappointed but not really....the whole enterprise seemed like a TV pilot for Renner to star as a fugitive spy with extraordinary skills + a heart of gold™...really, this whole thing was kinda lame. I did however enjoy it for what it was, kinda like the Honeydrippers music(led zeppelin called themselves something else but it's really led zeppelin or better yet General public aka Madness(?) ). the scene where Mrs Craig is about to be killed and rescued was damn excellent. Renner isn't bad but he's too old to pass for 27(!) and there seemed to be no reason to why not just giving Matt Damon a decent script and a raise or better yet just give Renner the dang *Bourne* role and get on with it(we're big boys we can handle it). The fight with the asian guy that never happened was a huge letdown. Basically Bourne/Cross beats up a bunch a security guard red shirts but when he has a chance to really strut his stuff against a pro they cheesed out on us. Comon man!! I enjoyed the film because I'm a huge Bourne geek but they shoulda given us an honest sequel...bourne exposed to the public would make him even more vulnerable...could make for a great movie... C+

I recently got the niece-nephew into Bourne and they trashed Legacy....no mercy from these 9-12 year olds.

#334 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Just saw Bourne Legacy for the 2nd time last night and my overall grade has jumped from a B+ to an A-...I truly feel it's a much better movie than everyone gives it credit for..

#335 Attempting Re-entry

Attempting Re-entry

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

I thought it was pretty good. My kids (12 and 11) liked it too.

It's tided us over while we wait for Skyfall, anyway.

#336 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

the whole enterprise seemed like a TV pilot for Renner to star as a fugitive spy with extraordinary skills + a heart of gold™

I did think that Renner's character seemed a little too, well, nice to be a Treadstone assassin. Ryan Gosling in DRIVE mode would have been a better choice for the role (I don't know whether he was considered, but I presume that he must have been). And I certainly didn't buy the idea of Jason Bourne and his fellow operatives carving their names into the log cabin like a bunch of boy scouts - it doesn't exactly fit with the characterisation established in the earlier films, to put it mildly. Sheesh, why not have a group photo of them grinning and strumming songs around the campfire? I can only imagine that this was a deliberately cheesy and tongue-in-cheek move on Gilroy's part. Perhaps he thought: "So the studio wants me to put in as many references to the Damon films as possible? Right then, I'll give them something completely ridiculous."

The fight with the asian guy that never happened was a huge letdown. Basically Bourne/Cross beats up a bunch a security guard red shirts but when he has a chance to really strut his stuff against a pro they cheesed out on us.

True, but I quite liked the way that film seems to set up an ULTIMATUM-style post-motorbike chase martial arts brawl between Renner and the guy from Thailand and then goes against our expectations. It's nice to have a few surprises, especially in a formula-bound action franchise sequel.

BTW, am I right in thinking that LEGACY hasn't performed very well, at least in relation to its predecessors? If so, I imagine that we've seen the last of Aaron Cross and that BOURNE 5 (for there will inevitably be another film in the series, come what may) will either go really big (with the studio splashing out a fortune to tempt Damon back and probably also Greengrass) or really small (with a lower budget than LEGACY's and a less famous name than Renner playing another Treadstone/Outcome/whatever assassin).

#337 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

I did think that Renner's character seemed a little too, well, nice to be a Treadstone assassin. Ryan Gosling in DRIVE mode would have been a better choice for the role (I don't know whether he was considered, but I presume that he must have been).

Ah, now that I would have been interested in seeing. Instantly more interesting.

I haven't seen Legacy because I just don't see it as a Bourne movie. It looks like a Bourne knock-off that just happens to be lucky enough to be able to use the Bourne name. Nothing about it interests me, and I loved the Bourne movies.

Aaron Cross: sounds like the hero of a console game rather than that of an actual movie. Maybe if it hadn't had a single male star it might not have felt like a cash-in and put me off. They needed to think out of the box a bit more, not just make up another Jason Bourne.

#338 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

Liked it, but didn't love it. It has some problems - script/editing/composer wise.To be fair, I love the first two movies, but Ultimatum didn't really set my world on fire as much (more of the same - just without my favourite two support characters played by Cox and Potente). There was nothing particularly stand-out about this movie - it was neither terrible or great - just mediocre. It did it's job of setting things up for a new franchise, but I'd hope any follow-up (should one get made) would be significantly stronger. The one thing I did notice was that I am still at odds with Dan Bradley's action style. ;)

#339 Belmont

Belmont

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

Good point, I completely agree. I found the movie so UNBELIEVABLY DULL, that it made me just get constantly irritated by things I wouldn't be irritated at if I was 'in the film'.

Totally agree. And it's amazing how underwritten Renner's main character was. The man did a fine job with the threadbare material he was given, but the movie did him no favors when it came to making me interested, engaged or otherwise concerned with his character.

#340 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

............And I certainly didn't buy the idea of Jason Bourne and his fellow operatives carving their names into the log cabin like a bunch of boy scouts -

Really! Oh dear.

I have yet to see this film and, until this, was still willing to give it some time. Totally agree.

#341 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Tony Gilroy seems to be hit and miss for me.

But I definitely don´t like his tendency to tell stories jumping back and forth in time (too much). While I´m watching I always get the impression that the story is very clever and building up to some extraordinary climax... and then it just only hides a pretty dull plot.

Having said that, I haven´t seen LEGACY yet. A DVD rental will suffice for me.

#342 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Pro Script Editor Andrew Ellard hit some of the TBL story problems on Twitter yesterday. He took quite a hard-line against the movie. I won't go into them here for spoiler reasons - but I agree with a number of them and it goes some way to explaining why the film was less involving than it should be.

#343 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

I must say there is lots of schadenfreude involved for me: having LEGACY underperform will prevent the old "Bourne is the new Bond"-idiocy.

#344 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I must say there is lots of schadenfreude involved for me: having LEGACY underperform will prevent the old "Bourne is the new Bond"-idiocy.

I don't think it is Bourne, though.

#345 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

The ending was awful and rushed. The rest of the movie was first-rate. I hope there is a follow up to it. And I still liked it better than the third film (BOURNE ULTIMATUM), which was riddled with plot holes.

#346 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

I wonder what they'll call the sequel...

#347 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

The Bourne Continuum ????? ;)

#348 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

1.2 Novels
1.3 Written by Robert Ludlum
1.3.1 Identity (1980)
1.3.2 Supremacy (1986)
1.3.3 Ultimatum (1990)
1.4 Written by Eric Van Lustbader
1.4.1 Legacy (2004)
1.4.2 Betrayal (2007)
1.4.3 Sanction (2008)
1.4.4 Deception (2009)
1.4.5 Objective (2010)
1.4.6 Dominion (2011)
1.4.7 Imperative (2012)

I guess they'll just kept going in order of the novels, wont they.

#349 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

The Bourne Continuum ????? ;)

You know, that's not bad.

#350 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

I wonder why in the case of further Bourne movies, they have gone with Lustbader titles. Would the film makers not be in the same situation as Eon in that they can make further Bond films while not having to shell up for the Gardner titles?

Can further Bourne films be made with titles other than what has already preceded in book form?

#351 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

I suspect it's more accidental. When the new film was announced nobody had an idea what they were going to film, no story, no hero, nothing. So they just picked LEGACY as a working title. It's not as if the title had to have any meaning for the actual product. They could call it THE BOURNE VOLKSWAGEN without having a VW in it, nobody would take notice.

#352 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Bourne 5 looking more likely. While Legacy didn’t set the boxoffice alight, it was an interesting enough set-up that I’d like to see where they go with it.

http://www.bleedingc...with-that-bear/

#353 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Universal Pictures has officially green lighted "BOURNE 5", with Jeremy Renner repeating his role as Aaron Cross.

#354 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

That Renner I don't really care for all that much but he has got a lot of good roles doesn't he? I wonder if he'll still be in Mission Impossible 5 and if he'll keep playing Hawk Eye in the Marvel movies.

#355 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

That Renner I don't really care for all that much but he has got a lot of good roles doesn't he? I wonder if he'll still be in Mission Impossible 5 and if he'll keep playing Hawk Eye in the Marvel movies.

I adore Jeremy Renner. I've been a fan of his since "S.W.A.T." And I believe he will be reprising his role as Hawkeye. I hope so.

#356 thilaka

thilaka

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

hi thanks for your information

#357 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

I adore Jeremy Renner. I've been a fan of his since "S.W.A.T." And I believe he will be reprising his role as Hawkeye. I hope so.

Me too! :) I love him a lot actually he is one of my celebrity crushes, and for the record.. S.W.A.T is a terrible action film.

#358 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Boy was I disappointed with this outing.

#359 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

^ Why?

#360 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

^ Why?

Because it was awful and almost everyone who's seen it thinks so too.