#31 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

Replace terrible CGI with terrible editing

Like I predicted in the other thread, the angeringly inappropriate editing style of DAD is now let off the hook in the wake of QOS's equally misplaced, fad-pander editing. In this instant, you actually put the obvious CGI of DAD ahead of it's speedramps and editing gimmicks straight out of a Bruckheimer movie, as an equal to the Bourne copycat cutting from QOS. That's something given the uproar DAD gathered for it's intrusive, unBondlike editing on release. Bandwagon editing is really a key formal element that QOS and DAD share in common.

Sure, Tim, whatever you say. :(

#32 Craig is 007

Craig is 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

They had two things in common, Greene's speech/Graves' speech, and an MI6 traitor. Oh, wait! I forgot, the main character is called James Bond, and his superior is called M, and they use an airplane in the film. Really?... Huge Die Another Day infulence? That is an exaggeration.

#33 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

No offense, I find this thread kindof, well, a complete joke. Of course there are similarities between the various Bond films. It's utterly and completely impossible to have every single element of every single Bond movie be utterly and completely unique from every other Bond movie. It's just NOT possible. There are bound to be many similarities, intentional or accidental.

One could spend forever fishing for similarities that are really more coincedence than intended copying. Further, it's one thing to recognize an intentional tipping of the hat to a previous Bond film (as in Fields covered with oil and Jill painted with gold), it's also one thing to borrow a previously unused idea from another Bond film or book or even to rework a previous idea. It's something else to say that DAD had a HUGE influence on QOS. :(

LOL

That assertion, is frankly, IMHO, absurd. Even if bits and pieces from previous Bond films and books have made their way into QoS (as they do into every Bond film), including DAD, saying that QoS was HUGELY influenced by DAD is something else entirely.

No thinking person is going to sit down, watch DAD, then watch QoS and say, "Wow, those two films sure had a lot in common! QoS is a total ripoff of DAD!" If you belive that, then I'm going to suggest that QoS was hugely influenced by On Golden Pond and Top Gun and Father of the Bride and Lady and the Tramp.

But more than anything QoS was one of the greatest Bond movies ever, DAD, was one of the worst - IMHO, of course.

#34 Craig is 007

Craig is 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

No offense, I find this thread kindof, well, a complete joke. Of course there are similarities between the various Bond films. It's utterly and completely impossible to have every single element of every single Bond movie be utterly and completely unique from every other Bond movie. It's just NOT possible. There are bound to be many similarities, intentional or accidental.

One could spend forever fishing for similarities that are really more coincedence than intended copying. Further, it's one thing to recognize an intentional tipping of the hat to a previous Bond film (as in Fields covered with oil and Jill painted with gold), it's also one thing to borrow a previously unused idea from another Bond film or book or even to rework a previous idea. It's something else to say that DAD had a HUGE influence on QOS. :(

LOL

That assertion, is frankly, IMHO, absurd. Even if bits and pieces from previous Bond films and books have made their way into QoS (as they do into every Bond film), including DAD, saying that QoS was HUGELY influenced by DAD is something else entirely.

No thinking person is going to sit down, watch DAD, then watch QoS and say, "Wow, those two films sure had a lot in common! QoS is a total ripoff of DAD!" If you belive that, then I'm going to suggest that QoS was hugely influenced by On Golden Pond and Top Gun and Father of the Bride and Lady and the Tramp.

But more than anything QoS was one of the greatest Bond movies ever, DAD, was one of the worst - IMHO, of course.

Excactly! :)

#35 Eddie Burns

Eddie Burns

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

No matter what influenced what I still stand by what I said earlier...

That the first half of DAD is better than everything to do with QoS. And I rank DAD bottom of my list. QoS doesn't even make it. Not because it's a rather overhyped movie, but it largely fails what it sets out to do. The reason for the good box office is off the strength of CR. Bond 23 won't come close to making as much, unless the filmmakers decide to be creative for once. That means copy and pasting Bourne/Transporter in the Bond universe is a no go. This movie is only different from the rest because it's when Bond started following the crowd, but some twist that around and call it brave and original.

Creativity Creativity Creativity not cheap homages and crap camera tricks.

These forums are unusually quiet after the release of QoS...not much to talk about I've noticed. Says a lot about the movie.

#36 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

Wow thanks for showing me the light Eddie! I thought I loved Quantum but you've shown me how wrong I was. Why can't more people be like you and tell me that the movie is not brave and original.

I've seen the light now buddy, and to think, you're the only one saying this, I have not seen this being repeated at all. Bravo to you sir, for being truly original.

#37 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

This movie is only different from the rest because it's when Bond started following the crowd,

Er, let's not forget how desparate DAD was at limping after the "XXX" bandwagon.

#38 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

GOLDENEYE had a bigger influence; the freefall scene was originaly intended for it - most likely when Trevalyan shot Bond and Natalya's plane down - but technology wasn't available to film it like that, so it was scrapped and re-written.