37 replies to this topic

#1 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

There's a huge DAD influence in QOS. Not to mention Greene's party speech, but also two elements that have been missed.

It is known that in the orginal DAD script there was an element that did not make it into the final movie, this element was that after Bond escapes from Hong Kong, mi6 go after him. In Cuba they catch up with him and Bond is forced to fight them in an elevator - In QOS Bond is considered so 'blinded by inconsolable rage' he is arrested by mi6, to escape them he fends them off in an elevator. Also when Bond in DAd needs to get to London from Cuba to meet Graves, he sneaks onto a plane and escapes on the tarmac before mi6 can arrest him waiting at the airport. In QOSBond kills a member of special branch and is told to report in, when he says he won't he goes to find Mathis as mi6 have cut him off.

Just thought people may be interested to know this.

#2 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

Also, Bond walking in to a luxury hotel (in casual/dirty clothes), in both films.

#3 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

Well, then it is undisputable: QOS is a remake of DAD. What a HUGE influence that film had. Thanks for this thread. Will Bond ever escape the HUGE shadow of DAD?

#4 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

That's right.

In fact when Bond asks his dying ally "Is Mathis your cover name?", it's a direct Lee Tamahori "code name" influence by the great maestro on student Marc Forster...

#5 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

Well, then it is undisputable: QOS is a remake of DAD. What a HUGE influence that film had. Thanks for this thread. Will Bond ever escape the HUGE shadow of DAD?

Notice how Bond runs, jumps, and fires guns in both movies. A remake of DAD indeed. EON should sue themselves for plagarism.

#6 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

Notice how Bond runs, jumps, and fires guns in both movies. A remake of DAD indeed. EON should sue themselves for plagarism.

:(

I know some of us have turned this into ridicule, but let's give credit to Pierce - Daniel for pointing out the un-used element of MI6 going after Bond and Bond escaping them in an elevator in Havana.

I think that's about it. Credit for that to P-D. :)

As for speaches by Bond villians...well, they've been giving speeches for ever (Goldfinger to the mob bosses, Stromberg to his sub command crew, Drax) so I don't think Gustav Graves' speach is an influence. The only similarity is that both are know philanthrophists deceiving the public. One is for military reasons, the other is for monetary ones.

#7 Hotwinds

Hotwinds

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

LOL!

Also, Bond walking in to a luxury hotel (in casual/dirty clothes), in both films.

#8 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

Thankfully, it fixed the problems DAD had: embarrassing acting, embarrassing dialog, embarrassing action, embarrassing "special effects," etc. :)

However, both Bonds were in top form in their respective film. :(

#9 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

This is nothing new for EON. Several films have adapted ideas that were originally scripted and cut from the script for a previous Bond film.

#10 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

I would say this proves an EON influence on the Bond films more than it proves a DAD influence on QOS.

How dare they!?! THEY MUST BE STOPPED!!!

#11 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

The one scene that did remind me of DAD (although I thought it was an improvement, even though I thought it was also good in DAD) was when Bond and M talk at the end in the snowy Russian night. A lot like when Bond met M in the underground station. Both times it was used to highlight Bond as a moral beacon in a cloudy world of gray. In 2002 he fought extreme nationalist terrorists, in 2008 he fights greedy multinational organizations intent on destabilizing economies to their advantage.

#12 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

The one scene that did remind me of DAD (although I thought it was an improvement, even though I thought it was also good in DAD) was when Bond and M talk at the end in the snowy Russian night. A lot like when Bond met M in the underground station. Both times it was used to highlight Bond as a moral beacon in a cloudy world of gray. In 2002 he fought extreme nationalist terrorists, in 2008 he fights greedy multinational organizations intent on destabilizing economies to their advantage.

Content wise, yeah I can see it a bit. Visually, the whole Yusef tag reminded me entirely of CR's PTS. Bond hidden in the shadows waiting for his target to arrive. The shot of him with gun arm extended reminds me of that first promo shot we were treated to right after Craig was announced as Bond. The chat with M has a B&W feel, and I almost imagine it taking place outside the building where Dreyden works (when actual geography is disregarded).

#13 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

I don't see this as a huge influence. If elements that were scrapped for DAD made it into QoS that would be an interesting bit of trivia, but that hardly makes for a huge influence (especially since these elements weren't actually used in DAD).

#14 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:10 PM

I did get a weird feeling from early footage of the ESO hotel that we were in for Ice Palace redux, with sand instead of ice. Perhaps it was the large and isolated structure, mostly empty, and Bond racing to find the girl while the place comes apart around him.
A standard Bond scenario, admittedly, but the footage did make me think DAD rather than (for instance) the end of TSWLM.

#15 Eddie Burns

Eddie Burns

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

I thought it was just me

I could be reaching...

Meeting Jinx/olga just by chance...they both happen to be agents
Bond and M's frosty relationship
Replace terrible CGI with terrible editing
Bond sleeps with MI6 agent who M sends too keep an eye on him
The fight scenes at the end Bond/Olga Bond/Jinx
CGI plane
The villains speech
Replace the snow for sand and voilà!

I probably am reaching but my view of QoS is that it's DAD except gritty, replace the sand and snow, and get rid of the invisible car, and strip it down to a pure action movie. Sad thing is the first half of DAD is much better than anything in QoS. Yeah...I said it.

Forster and Tamahori deserve eachother, but at least I can watch DAD because the director did at least attempt to tell us a story, albeit unsuccessfully executed. Forster went for style over any substance and really didn't give Bond the closure necessary. Raise your hands those that gave a care about Vesper by the end of the movie?

#16 CaptainPower

CaptainPower

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

I thought it was just me

I could be reaching...

Meeting Jinx/olga just by chance...they both happen to be agents
Bond and M's frosty relationship
Bond sleeps with MI6 agent who M sends too keep an eye on him
The fight scenes at the end Bond/Olga Bond/Jinx
CGI plane
The villains speech
Replace the snow for sand and voilà!

I probably am reaching but my view of QoS is that it's DAD except gritty, replace the sand and snow, and get rid of the invisible car, and strip it down to a pure action movie. Sad thing is the first half of DAD is much better than anything in QoS. Yeah...I said it.

Forster and Tamahori deserve eachother, but at least I can watch DAD because the director did at least attempt to tell us a story, albeit unsuccessfully executed. Forster went for style over any substance and really didn't give Bond the closure necessary. Raise your hands those that gave a care about Vesper by the end of the movie?

Some interesting observations, but it could be (and probably has been) argued that many Bond films are just remakes of each previous Bond films.

Edited by CaptainPower, 24 November 2008 - 09:18 PM.

#17 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

I thought it was well known that the skydiving/landing in the sink hole sequence was originally scripted for Goldeneye.

#18 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

I thought it was well known that the skydiving/landing in the sink hole sequence was originally scripted for Goldeneye...

...Goldeneye, which was HUGELY influenced by DAD.

So... there you have it.

#19 joshkhenderson

joshkhenderson

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

As long as we're being totally serious here:

DAD referenced a lot of past Bond movies. QoS references Goldfinger, a 'past Bond movie." Coincidence? I'm not saying anything.

We report. You decide. Fair and balanced.

#20 Quincy

Quincy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

All Bond movies have been inspired one way or another by one that came before it.

QOS>>>>DAD.

#21 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

Die Another Day was the 20th Bond film.

As a result, Quantum of Solace, which occurs two films later, is the 22nd Bond film. It has no choice. All because of DAD.

#22 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:25 AM

TSWLM, a great Bond film, has more influences on Q0S than any of them, imho.

#23 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:32 AM

I hate the thought what the elevator/hotel scene would have looked like in DAD.

Die Another Day having huge impact on QoS is like saying Batman & Robin heavily influenced Batman Begins!

The only influence DAD had on QoS is that a crap fest like DAD needed to be done in order to pave the way for CR and QoS.

#24 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:56 AM

Die Another Day having huge impact on QoS is like saying Batman & Robin heavily influenced Batman Begins!

More like saying BATMAN & ROBIN heavily influenced THE DARK KNIGHT.

#25 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:30 AM

Um, doesn´t anybody remember that fight scenes in elevators are like a staple in James Bond films?

#26 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:41 AM

Um, doesn´t anybody remember that fight scenes in elevators are like a staple in James Bond films?

Yeah. Diamonds Are Forever I believe was the first. :(

#27 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:18 AM

There's also a distintegrating plane, and a freefalling escape from it, in both movies.

Also Bond vs Greene while Camille battles the General reminds me of Bond vs Graves while Jinx and Miranda fight, both amid chaos.

And both feature a MI6 traitor.

#28 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:57 AM

Yes.
My emphasis in that sentence is the following, let me rephrase that:

I hate the thought what *the same* elevator scene would have been like in DAD, meaning that it would have been in the general tone of DAD, which is cartoony. I imagine Pierce Brosnan, instead of dismissingly putting away the leg of the guard, delivering another one-liner and straightening his tie while smirking like a jack***.

#29 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

Yeah. Diamonds Are Forever I believe was the first. :(

Interestingly, that's what I was reminded of when Bond disposed of Slate and impersonated him when meeting Camille. QoS is also the follow-up to the OHMSS of our day... although DAF was arguably the follow-up to YOLT. :)

I hate the thought what *the same* elevator scene would have been like in DAD, meaning that it would have been in the general tone of DAD, which is cartoony. I imagine Pierce Brosnan, instead of dismissingly putting away the leg of the guard, delivering another one-liner and straightening his tie while smirking like a jack***.

Bond would have also leaned over the guard's body and smelled his foot before pushing it back into the elevator.

Oh wait, that would be if TWINE did it... :)

#30 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

Like I predicted in the other thread, the angeringly inappropriate editing style of DAD is now let off the hook in the wake of QOS's equally misplaced, fad-pander editing. In this instant, you actually put the obvious CGI of DAD ahead of it's speedramps and editing gimmicks straight out of a Bruckheimer movie, as an equal to the Bourne copycat cutting from QOS. That's something given the uproar DAD gathered for it's intrusive, unBondlike editing on release. Bandwagon editing is really a key formal element that QOS and DAD share in common.

Edited by tim partridge, 25 November 2008 - 03:16 PM.