80 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

I love Quantum of Solace to pieces. But some moments were totally random, but funny at the same time. It has nothing at all to do with the plot not making sense, because I understood it completely.

What are the biggest WTF moments in Quantum of Solace.

Here's a few...

- Gregg Beams laugh in the plane sequence, when talking to Greene.
- When Greene does the sinister smile to Leiter and Beam from his car window, and they're just looking at him thinking. "WTF ;)"
- Elvis' smile to the guard in the Opera, it's totally random.
- M's running a bath and applying face cream. :) :(
- When M smashes the ashtray and rambles on about Florists. :)

#2 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

M applying the face cream for me. I mean, did we need to see that?!

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

For me, the biggest WTF moment is the dogfight/freefall. Suddenly, in the midst of a suitably gritty, Craigian flick, the Brosnan era is back, only with Moore-era FX.

This is where the Craig era jumps the shark and nukes the fridge. Come back, glacier surfing in DIE ANOTHER DAY, all is forgiven.

#4 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

- When M smashes the ashtray and rambles on about Florists.

That was one WTF & LOL combo

How about Bond taking his shirt off (walking away from Fields, tossing the pick-up line).

Like saying, get ready, we are doing this. I think he was channeling Kobe Bryant.

#5 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

- Elvis' smile to the guard in the Opera, it's totally random.

Oh yeah especially Elvis' smile! I need an 'I Love Elvis' t-shirt because that dude has grown on me!

Edited by ImTheMoneypenny, 17 November 2008 - 03:15 PM.

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

Oh, what about...

"YOU AND I HAD A MUTUAL FRIEND!" *BANG!!!!!!!*

:(

#7 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

Oh, what about...

I was a bit surprised with that line, didn't think it fitted. Still as a result it was still a WTF and LOLOL moment.

#8 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

This is where the Craig era ... nukes the fridge.

I really hope this catches on.

The "mutual friend" was the worst for me. I hoped those days were behind us.

#9 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

This is where the Craig era ... nukes the fridge.

I really hope this catches on.

The "mutual friend" was the worst for me. I hoped those days were behind us.

The mutual friend line is very unfortunate, and the only significant bum note for me.

I see how it came about - they wanted to make sure everyone knew that, when the guy was killed, he's the man who betrayed Mathis. He's not another random bad guy, it's a catharsis (for the audience, at least) and they wanted to make sure it didn't go unremarked.

All fine in theory. On the set, on the day, the timing's all wrong. Dropping down onto a car with two people inside - two armed people - is a great stunt neatly executed...but it ain't the place for exposition.

I have no problem with the line, only with the context. The Colonel turning a corner and finding Bond having him at gunpoint, that's fine.

I don't think I particularly are with anything else in the thread. But this one, sure.

#10 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

Oh, what about...

What is so WTF about that?

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:19 PM

Oh, what about...

Well, for a start it isn't especially clever, and it isn't even clear (to this dufus, at least) to whom Bond is referring. And then there's the small matter of how Bond expects to be heard through the windscreen, unless, of course, his target is a damn good lipreader.

Not to mention why 007 - let alone Craig's 007 - would take the time to faff around declaiming bewhiskered Moore-esque quips in such a situation in the first place.

Apart from which, no, there's nothing particularly WTF about it.

#12 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

For me, the biggest WTF moment is the dogfight/freefall. Suddenly, in the midst of a suitably gritty, Craigian flick, the Brosnan era is back, only with Moore-era FX.

This is where the Craig era jumps the shark and nukes the fridge. Come back, glacier surfing in DIE ANOTHER DAY, all is forgiven.

The freefall for me was big. He and Camille fall through the sky for a long time and go into the sinkhole or whatever you call it and then open her parachute. That's all fine and good I suppose, but as edited, right after they pull the rip cord, they are hitting the ground and surviving. According to the edits, the fall should have killed them. It would have been much better if we'd actually seen the chute open and them falling for a second or two before hitting the ground.

As it is, it reminds me of Tomorrow Never Dies where Brosnan's Bond and Wai Lin are escaping from a deeply sunken ship and reach the surface on a lone lungful of air, which is unbelievable. Raymond Benson's novelization had it better with the two of them sharing an air tank all the way to the surface.

The other WTF moment for me was Mathis being killed. :( Mathis is not killed in Fleming's novels (or by the continuation authors) and it really pisses me off that they killed him in QOS, not to mention the dumb way the writers killed him off. Next to his MI6 inner circle and Felix Leiter, Rene Mathis is Bond's closest friend. I don't know if I've ever been as upset at an aspect of a Bond film than I am of this. :)

#13 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

- Mr. Beam's laugh in the plane
- Corrine saying thank you to Bond.. that was really WTF
- When Elvis calls Universal Exports.. or was WTF or I didn't understand it.

#14 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

Agreed. If it weren't for this scene and the terrible editing that is present throughout the film, QoS would probably be the best of the Bond films, IMO. This really felt like something straight out of a Brosnan film, it really felt out of place in this film.

#15 Paul Scrabo

Paul Scrabo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

Some WTF moments (and I did not like them)
Is an innocent woman shot during a chase?? And an ambulance comes and we don't know what happens?? Hated it....hated it....WTF???
Does Bond kill an inncoent agent and shows no remorse??? That should have been his time to reflect and stop..WTF???
Does ****** GET KILLED???? And Bond THROWS HIM IN THE TRASH??? (to make like it's a robbery I guess) But why write that in a Bond film at all???
Paul

#16 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

This one. The whole Gregg Beam persona is a bit strange. Had me WTF whenever he was on screen. Or is it just because he looks like Ned Flanders?

...nukes the fridge...

Ha!

#17 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

Oh, what about...

:)

Wonder why he neglected to mention "Bill Fairbanks". :(

This whole movie is "WTF". So much Brozza stuff with less mozzarella.

Can anyone explain why David Arnold is giving Bond a hard time in the aerial fight?

#18 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

As Greene/Beam are on the plane. Directly after the turbulence Elvis says something like "how much longer ?". This line is left floating for me. I sort of wondered if I misheard it. Then thought WTF was that for ?

#19 Painted Gold

Painted Gold

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

Agree with most of your WTF moments, especially Bond Dumping Mathis in a trash can... WTF? Sure Mathis may not have cared but you jolly well should!

Bond on that bike that looked like a moped in hideous tight biege trousers.

That bit where Bond says something about misplacing his stationery in the Fields/hotel room scene.

Why Camille goes back to tell Greene off for trying to kill her... why would you do that?

The interactive tablet/talking table thing in the London briefing scenes. Yes I know these do exist but it was the talking voice that got me for some reason. Like it would state the blatently obvious e.g. "connecting to the United States" or something. It just seemed a bit cheesy.

The girl in the white dress at the desert hotel being almost raped. That whole scene moved so quickly I couldn't work out whether Camille actually saved her or if she even survives.

The old lady that drops her basket as Bond runs by and then mumbles something. WTF did she say? I want to know damn it.

That scene where the villagers were trying and failing to get water out the well. Okay I know it was neccessary to prove there was a drought but I almost felt it was kinda mean that Bond and Camille walk right past without mentioning the huge resevoir down the road!

The Yusef/Canadian agent scene. Too short, too rushed, didn't explain what was going on. Whilst I don't like to be spoon fed the plot of a movie Forster just doesn't exlain enough!
I found I had to infer/come up with my own explanations as to why things were happening or why Bond acted the way he did. Some may think this is arty minimalism but to me it is crap script writing. It isn't just Bond that needs closure, the audience does too!

I had numerous other WTF moments. I wish I had bought a pen and paper with me to the cinema.

#20 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

the scene where bond escapes from the bar afyter felix tells him to run and he makes this rather large leap over to the next balcony.

#21 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

Some WTF moments for me:
* The whole PTS
* The whole Palio chase
* The fight with Slate. I was like... what? more action? now?
* Scene with Bond and Camille in the car. Arnold's music made it so anti-climatic.
* "Who are you working for.. I said, who are you working for".
* Bond dumping Mathis in the trash can. Vesper's theme is still played.
* Greene's line: "Sounds like you just lost another one haha hehe ha ha".

But the biggest WTF moment was the jump with the bike. It looked amazing in the teaser, but here... blink and you miss it.

#22 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

For me, the biggest WTF moment is the dogfight/freefall.

A less than 50 second moment in 1 hour and 45 minutes of film.

It's a James Bond movie, Loomis. There HAS to be an element of the bizzare otherwise it's not a James Bond movie.

Q0S is not Citizen Kane.

Read my review on the above moment.

#23 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

Oh, what about...

Well, for a start it isn't especially clever, and it isn't even clear (to this dufus, at least) to whom Bond is referring. And then there's the small matter of how Bond expects to be heard through the windscreen, unless, of course, his target is a damn good lipreader.

Not to mention why 007 - let alone Craig's 007 - would take the time to faff around declaiming bewhiskered Moore-esque quips in such a situation in the first place.

Apart from which, no, there's nothing particularly WTF about it.

Considering Craig shouts the line, looks directly at the guy who was responsible for betraying Mathis and then shoots him, I'm not exactly sure how this wasn't clear?

And I don't think the line was clever either, but was it meant to be clever?

Honestly, I don't see why this line stuck out.

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

For me, the biggest WTF moment is the dogfight/freefall.

A less than 50 second moment in 1 hour and 45 minutes of film.

Never mind how long it goes on for. It still mars it.

It's a James Bond movie, Loomis. There HAS to be an element of the bizzare otherwise it's not a James Bond movie.

Granted, but does that mean that anything goes? I don't think so.

In any case, I suspect that you frown more at the idea of people having gripes about QUANTUM OF SOLACE than about the gripes themselves, no? :(

#25 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

My memory is a bit vague. When exactly did this happen?

#26 Eddie Burns

Eddie Burns

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

What was that grin that Bond gives Mathis at his villa after asking him to join him in S. America about? WTF

Also immediately after when the girl turns around and says something but then suddenly stops, the editor has a slight brain :(. WTF

Bond's kiss to Camille. Made Bond look like a 5th grader who finally built up the courage to kiss a girl. WTF

Craig still struggles playing the seducer on screen. That's his one weakness. His scenes with Solange were the only ones where the chemistry was evident (you could include the hotel receptionist). There was no chemistry with Camille at all.

#27 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

Craig still struggles playing the seducer on screen. That's his one weakness. His scenes with Solange were the only ones where the chemistry was evident (you could include the hotel receptionist). There was no chemistry with Camille at all.

He was fine with Caterina Murino and Eva Green. The problem is that the story for QUANTUM OF SOLACE didn't really give him any time for romance, let alone seduction . . . aside from a quickie with Gemma Atherton's character.

#28 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

There weren't any! Fantastic movie. Nuff said.

#29 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:21 PM

My memory is a bit vague. When exactly did this happen?

Bond jumping on the van and shooting Carlos on the head. I liked this moment, Bond avenged Mathis, something I think really rounded him more, Carlos deserved that bullet and it needed to come from Bond.

The biggest WTF moment......................easy................"I can't find the statonary".............follwed by..........."Oh gosh! I'm so sorry!"

#30 Dangerous Liaison

Dangerous Liaison

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

I don't know but I thought the stationary line was kind of cute. I mean it's Bond, it worked for me.