The Choice

40 replies to this topic

#1 69' DBS

69' DBS

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

Did anyone else notice that Bond and Camille were planning suicide rather than being burned alive at the hotel...and that Bond noticed a panel fall off the wall which exposed a hydrogen tank (thereby enabling their escape) at the last second ??

#2 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

No, I didn´t. But I was about to open a thread to ask members whether they noticed that the gunbarrel was featured at the end of the film?

#3 69' DBS

69' DBS

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

Forget the sarcasm...about 2/3 of the attendees at my preview party missed this completely...

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Did anyone else notice that Bond and Camille were planning suicide rather than being burned alive at the hotel...and that Bond noticed a panel fall off the wall which exposed a hydrogen tank (thereby enabling their escape) at the last second ??

What, exactly, makes you think they were contemplating suicide? Just because Bond picks up the gun before seeing the tanks?

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

Well..

Camille: (Looking at flames) Not this way, No, I can't please.

Bond notices the gun and tells her to close her eyes.

Camille: Like you said, take a deep breath, make it count.

#6 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

Well..

Wonderful scene.

That someone actually can miss the meaning of that makes me fear for the future of storytelling.

#7 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:00 AM

Well..

Yeah, but there are a couple different ways to read into that as far as I'm concerned. I did think suicide for brief second so I'm not discounting it, I was just curious to know what made the original poster think that suicide was being hinted at. I'm actually curious to know who else thought that?

#8 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Sorry,mccartney007 (and this is not meant in a sarcastic or hostile way, at all, since I respect you very much), but what else could this dialogue have meant?

#9 BigBreach

BigBreach

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:09 AM

I thought that too. Camille had been burned before when the general killed her family and burned her house down (hence the scarring on her back).

Spoiler

Edited by BigBreach, 17 November 2008 - 10:11 AM.

#10 69' DBS

69' DBS

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

Like I said...most of the people in my group missed this SecretAgentFan...I think the dialogue was simply not heard by them...and BTW, I didn't appreciate your sarcasm 1 bit...

To Mccartney007: I knew it was a suicide reference due to the previous comment about the dictator "setting the house on fire", etc. and the "one shot" line.

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

Well..

Yeah, but there are a couple different ways to read into that as far as I'm concerned. I did think suicide for brief second so I'm not discounting it, I was just curious to know what made the original poster think that suicide was being hinted at. I'm actually curious to know who else thought that?

I did. Took me a moment to work out what was going on (but then I am very old and a bit thick).

#12 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:25 AM

Sorry,mccartney007 (and this is not meant in a sarcastic or hostile way, at all, since I respect you very much), but what else could this dialogue have meant?

It could have been Camille asking Bond to save her from burning to death ("Not this way, No, I can't please") and then her reflecting on what she had just done to Medrano ("Like you said, take a deep breath, make it count"). I mean the woman just killed the guy she's been chasing for however many years and she's trapped in a burning building so her mind wouldn't necessarily be focused on just one thing. And Bond telling her to close her eyes could just be away of getting her to "forget" she's in a room that is on fire while he figures something out.

Does that make any sense? Maybe I just decided to make a more complicated story because I could? Like I said my first impression was suicide though. Don't really know why I didn't want to stick with it.

#13 BigBreach

BigBreach

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

I didn't think that Bond could have meant anything else by this.

#14 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

Like I said...most of the people in my group missed this SecretAgentFan...I think the dialogue was simply not heard by them...and BTW, I didn't appreciate your sarcasm 1 bit...

I´m sorry. But by reading your first post on this thread it felt to me as if it were meant to troll.

Which I see now it wasn´t. Sincere apologies.

#15 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:34 AM

I do think it's interesting that 2/3 of your guests missed it. I can't imagine they all didn't hear the dialogue so I think that means a few of them thought something else was going on so maybe I'm not just making up alternate readings that make no sense!

For some reason the whole bit about Camille being burned before didn't come into my mind. Good point, BigBreach.

Like I said, I'm not disagreeing, just curious at what people thought because obviously some people had other ideas about what was going on in the scene.

#16 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

Crystal clear the first time I saw it: He was contemplating it. He had the gun to his head for crying out loud!

#17 Invincible1958

Invincible1958

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

Agreed.
Crystal clear for me, too.

#18 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

He had the gun to his head for crying out loud!

Well, not really. He had it in his hand as he had his arms wrapped around Camille.

#19 Invincible1958

Invincible1958

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

Well, not really. He had it in his hand as he had his arms wrapped around Camille.

But you can see it in his eyes and the way how he puts his arms around her, that he is clearly thinking about shooting her to save her from the flames.

#20 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:10 AM

But you can see it in his eyes and the way how he puts his arms around her, that he is clearly thinking about shooting her to save her from the flames.

Well that wouldn't be suicide now, would it? KABLAM! :(

Really, I'm just here for no other reason than amuse myself now as having a discussion about something I already agree with seems rather pointless. The only thing new that I hadn't thought of was what BigBreach pointed out about Camille being burned before.

I guess I'm waiting to hear what the other 2/3s of people thought that didn't automatically think the scene implied suicide because obviously some of them thought something different.

#21 iexpectu2die

iexpectu2die

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

I've got to admit, I missed this meaning the first TWO times I saw it. It was mainly because I couldn't hear what Camille was saying. I sometimes found her accent difficult to decipher, especially amidst roaring flames. I'm kinda pissed that I didn't understand at first, that scene would have been infinitely more effective for me.

#22 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

Remember this is a Marc Forster film, it was 100% suicide on Bond's mind.
Maybe he didn't want to kill himself, that's up to dissucsion, did he postion his head behind Camille's so he could catch the same bullet? Or wouldn't the bullet get lodged in her brain, was there another shot int he gun for him?

Listen to these chain of events.

-Bond is out for revenge, in the cave, he and Camille talk about going after their deamons. She wants to know how it 'feels' to get her revenge.
-During the inner cut hotel fight scene, she ends up killing Medrano. As soon as it happens she breaks down, she finnally gets to 'feel' that revenge, and it isn't the best of feelings.
-Bond leaves Greene to tend to her, after all she screams like a little girl, the flames are around her and she is lost in her own mind. Memories of her house and family are sure to flood back.
-When Bond finds her she is in such a state. He goes to tend to her, but it is evident that they will die, Bond knows that this isn't what she wants so he places the gun behind her head and tells her to 'close her eyes'. But this is Bond, so he does save her.
-The scenes is summed up at the end when Camille feels empty after killing Medrano asking 'now what?'Bond can now see revenge was not what he was after he was always motivated by his duty, and he just wanted answers about Quantum and Vesper. When he confronts Vusef he dosen't want to kill him even though M is wiling to turn a blind eye to it if it helps him get his revenge. Bond sees via Camille that the 'dead don't care about venegeence' He's closed the door on his deamons, and is ready to move on. He obtains the titular Quantum of Solace. A little bit of comfort.

Tar-da!

#23 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

It's a great and important scene and another reason why this movie will go up in peoples estimation the more they watch it. There is so much that can be missed on first viewing.

#24 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

It was crystal clear to me upon first viewing. I was on the edge of my seat during the whole thing. He didn't look like a man with a happy game plan. He wouldn't have kissed her forehead and told her to close her eyes if he knew he was going to shoot that tank. The scene is one of my favourites of the movie. It had me going, logically I knew they'd make it out but part of me was caught up in the moment.

I haven't been around for a while, it was deliberate because I wanted to stay clear of reactions before I could see QoS for myself. Good to be back!

#25 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

It could have been Camille asking Bond to save her from burning to death ("Not this way, No, I can't please") and then her reflecting on what she had just done to Medrano ("Like you said, take a deep breath, make it count"). I mean the woman just killed the guy she's been chasing for however many years and she's trapped in a burning building so her mind wouldn't necessarily be focused on just one thing. And Bond telling her to close her eyes could just be away of getting her to "forget" she's in a room that is on fire while he figures something out.

Does that make any sense? Maybe I just decided to make a more complicated story because I could? Like I said my first impression was suicide though. Don't really know why I didn't want to stick with it.

Well, I'm not ashamed to say that this is how I saw it. She's trapped in her memories from childhood and is deathly afraid of fire. She can't move or get away to literally save her life. Here comes Bond and he somewhat comforts/calms her down with his words and presence. I figured she said "Like you said, take a deep breath, make it count" as her restating his words in her frantic state to let him know she had killed Medrano.

Another way to read the line, which I now think is probably more accurate is that Camille said it to encourage Bond in his aim to shoot the tank in a highly tense situation. With an accurate shot, they can escape--with an inaccurate shot, probably not. So just relax and let his training take over.

#26 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:28 PM

I got it the first time, and I wish everyone else did because it's one of the most powerful moments in any Bond film. Probably THE most.

Don't forget that just moments before, Medrano found himself facing the end of Camille's gun, but instead of looking grim about his impending fate he smirked and told her that now she too would burn. In a way, he might have thought she was doing him a favor by sparing him a more gruesome death that would have also been poetic justice for him.

#27 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

He hinted at it, but most of all, that is what she understood.

#28 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

I immediately thought he was planning to mercy-kill Camille, for all the reasons people have already mentioned:). That moment was extraordinarily powerful, I was absolutely gripped by it during my first AND second viewings. It's just such a fresh thing that a Bond movie has never contained before. And so viscerally real in the moment.

#29 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

Well..

Wonderful scene.

That someone actually can miss the meaning of that makes me fear for the future of storytelling.

Personally, I missed it completely. May have had something to do with the Bourne-on-steroids Shakycam™ coupled with the kerazy improv free jazz editing. Or perhaps I'm just, to quote Jim, old and thick. Oh, well.

But if Bond were going to kill himself, he'd surely use his cyanide - in DIE ANOTHER DAY, The Bond We All Know And Love™ comments that he'd thrown it away years earlier, but it seems reasonable to assume that his younger self, as played here by Craig, would have been packin' the pill.

#30 Otis Fairplay

Otis Fairplay

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

Of course, the situation and its implications also brings to mind Bond's last resort plan for Solitaire and himself at the end of Fleming's Live and Let Die.