36 replies to this topic

#31 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:59 AM

Fleming always seemed to ground his thrillers in real-life politics, or at least a close approximation of them, and to good effect. Most Bond films have done that too (or at least tried :( ). Not sure what the issue here is, expect that modern politics have changed quite a bit in the states post-Watergate. Blame Nixon. :)

But however the "modern" slant on politics has come about, why shouldn't Bond incorporate that? Governments the world over are not the trusting and trusted institutions they once were viewed as, just what it is. Fleming would never write an exchange between Bond and Felix ala QOS, but times change and IMHO that banter between them was pitch-perfect for this Bond. No, not 60s Bond or 70s Bond or 80s Bond or even 90s Bond, but very much now. And still - amazingly - good escapist fun. :) Times have changed I guess, go figure.

#32 Bonita

Bonita

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:39 AM

I think for many, one question is proportionality. In the case of Saddam, was he a threat to the US?

As soon as the planes hit the WTC towers I said to everyone around me: 'Either Bin Laden or Saddam'. I have to admit being somewhat surprised to find coworkers around me not knowing who Bin Laden was.'

Why did I think it could have been Saddam? Because up to that point he'd been making loud proclamations against the U.S., he'd been trying to test the No Fly Zone rules, he'd been shooting at U.S. airplanes, he'd cut off U.N. access to his weapons programs for 3 years, and there was every reason to believe that if he'd had the chance to smuggle any sort of WMD into America he would do so. I mean, what did he think would happen if his plot to kill George H.W. Bush had been successful? When you stop to consider the insanity of Saddam authorizing an assassination plot against a former President, it's not a long leap of logic to believe that he'd be willing to carry out 9/11. And I say all that as someone who thought he could have been behind it before it became obvious that it was Al-Qaeda. But...........

........that didn't let him off the hook just because he had nothing to do with 9/11. If anything, it screwed him and Al-Qaeda for good. Even members of Al-Qaeda were not happy with the 9/11 plot, because it led to a swift response from the U.S. that led to the overthrow of the Taliban, the loss of Kabul, and put Al-Qaeda on the run and put terrorist-supporting dictators like Saddam squarely back into public focus.

But Bush and Blair chose to listen to those who painted the worst picture of Saddam possible. There was Cheney's 1% doctrine. If there is a 1% chance that Saddam could be building a nuclear weapon, that is too much.

Maybe, maybe not. You know, I just can't criticize Bush or Blair on this matter. The liberals and the Democrats on the Left blasted him for not doing enough to stop 9/11, and that it was Bush's policies that led to 9/11, blah blah blah, and so when he goes and does something, like actively deposing a dictator such as Saddam, they then insist that Bush did too much and that he overstepped his boundaries and violated international law and Iraq's sovreignty. So I don't pay that much to the criticism. All I know is that 9/11 changed everything, and this country had a President that was not willing to wait around to find out if Iraq or Iran or Syria or Libya had a bomb. Saddam was crazier than bat[censored]. He was a liar. He could not be be trusted.

Bush took the war to them in the hopes that he could do it before the war came over here to us. I mean, since 9/11 the U.S. has not suffered another attack on the homeland, nor against its embassies or warships like they had suffered during the 1990's against the WTC (1993), the bombings in Kenya and Tanzania (1998), the Khobar Towers (1996), the U.S.S Cole (2000), and the destruction of the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City by Timothy McVeigh, Terry Nichols, and a helper of Middle Easty origin whom the Clinton administration attempted to hide the involvement of (1995).

Last thing I'm trying to do is to get you to change your mind. While there are many who still support Bush and Blair re: Iraq, the general popular perception is that there was a lot of unnecessary posturing to get us to go to war, claims of threats that turned out to be untrue. Saddam wasn't in league with Al Qaeda. He wasn't stockpiling weapons. The mobile labs were for making balloons, not chemical weapons. And then we weren't greeted as liberators. There was sectarian strife. Now that may be a far lower price to pay than had we taken another course, but it has provided a result that has exposed grave problems in how we assess intelligence. I mean, I think whether we went to war or not, we would all prefer that our Presidents, Prime Ministers and Secretary's of State all gave accurate statements about the capabilities of our enemies when making the case for war. The popular perception, right or wrong, is that Bush made numerous deep blunders in prosecuting the war on terror, and Iraq is at the top of that list.

But the failure to capture Bin Laden I think has been a black mark for many. BTW, I've never heard of the "helper of Middle Easty origin" in the Oklahoma City bombing and I would be absolutely stunned to discover that the Clinton Administration would have hidden any evidence on that affair. I could be wrong, but it sounds like the kind of accusations my friends on the left level against Bush, claiming he started the war in Iraq because of Haliburton connections. Just can't buy that kind of stuff. I'm not much one for conspiracy theories. Could be true, but I just don't see Tim and his Militia buddies being secret moles for Al-Qaeda.

Again, I have no desire to argue whether Iraq was right or wrong. I think we can agree that lots of big things were said that just didn't turn out to be true. Lots of soldiers died. Saddam didn't have anything to do with 9/11. That he was at best unstable and certainly capable of great evil if given a chance, and that the whole affair did not make the US look good in the eyes of the rest of the world, or ultimately at home. For me, it is these perceptions that inform QoS, although we could easily look back on those in years to come and see the whole thing differently. The curtain may lift and we find new evidence that makes that context seem as out of touch as Bond proclaiming in 1964 (paraphrasing) the Beatles should be listened to only while wearing earmuffs.

But right or wrong, I think it is the questions of how we responded to 9/11 that seem to pop up in so many ways in this film. And to me, they pop up in a very smart way.

I do respect your opinions on Iraq. My comments are not about whether the US was right to go in, but how I think the film and this portrayal of Bond reflects our recent history.

Keep dancing...

#33 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

Just out of interest - I'm sure I could look it up, but I'm not sure where - was the phrase 'the homeland' commonly used in the States before September 11 2001? I hadn't heard of it, or if I had I think I would have asssociated it with 'heartland' and country music, but was it widely used by Americans before those particular attacks? I'd be interested to know.

"Homeland" wasn't used here in the heartland.

Thanks. Interesting.

On an unrelated note - "Middle Easty"?

#34 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

On an unrelated note - "Middle Easty"?

Just a typo.

For what?

#35 Bonita

Bonita

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

Gravity,

I admire your support for Bush's prosecution of the war in Iraq. I never protested it or endorsed it. I also understand that there are many very intelligent people who see it differently than other intelligent people. Addressing a few of your points:

I think that the major criticism leveled at the media is that they were not more critical of the claims being made with little supporting evidence. I didn't listen to news reports of Colin Powell's speech to the UN, I listened to the speech itself. He himself has apologized for the contents. Bush has admitted that although he thought there were WMDs in Iraq, there weren't.

Much of that information came from political opponents who wanted to destabilize the Iraq government, but did not have political support within Iraq (even after the invasion). The administration has admitted as much.

The Iraq Survey Group noted that while Saddam had the ambition to rebuild his defense, including rebuilding WMD stockpiles, but that he had concluded that he could only do so after sanctions were lifted and his economy stabilized. So he was a long way from being a threat. And the Iraq Survey Group was no leftist or UN-sanctioned group. They were 1,400 hand-picked experts from the Pentagon and the CIA. It is their conclusion and not the media's that I rely upon for my conclusions. There were two separate leaders of the Iraq Survey Group, both reached the same conclusions. They spent approx. 1 billion dollars on scouring Iraq for evidence. That's a billion of US tax money.

Now why was Iraq saber-rattling if they didn't have any goods? Well, Saddam may have been nuts, he may simply seen this as the best way to respond to threats of any kind. But the ISG concluded that his main motivation was Iran, a nation he went to war with for many years and whom he feared greatly. As many have pointed out, having Iran and Iraq at odds kept both nations distracted from their other pre-occupations - wanting to blow Israel to bits and trying to damage US interests.

These hindsight assessments are just that. None of them are trying to say Saddam was a warm and fuzzy guy, or that you are in any way morally wrong to believe the invasion was the best policy, despite all else. But while the Bush administration was making its case for war, many other parties were stating other opinions. France, Germany, Canada, etc., all stated that they didn't see the dots connecting, that the case for war was riddled with assumptions that didn't make sense to them. They turned out to be right about those assumptions. Saddam, had (under great pressure), before the invasion, let inspectors in, let them into his personal "palaces" and had cooperated with the destruction of his missiles that could be used for long-range attacks. He had turned over all his documents (mess that they were) on his weapons programs. The Bush and Blair administration dismissed these out of hand, although the documents turned out to be complete. The head of the UN Atomic Energy Agency (I think) declared before the war that inspections would be difficult and expensive - $80 million a year, but the cost of war would be about $80 billion. Again, maybe the result was the best, the cost worth it, but this is rather different than the Bush administration's line that the war would pay for itself with oil revenues from Iraq.

What did these errors in judgement mean strategically?

We went in with too few troops to keep peace and secure locations. Because we believed the "average Iraqi" posed no threat to our soldiers, and because we were so focused on finding weapons that didn't exist, we famously bypassed a weapons storage bunker that was filled with conventional but very powerful explosives. This was soon raided and the results were seen in the use of roadside bombs that killed hundreds of Americans. Similar weapons stockpiles were left unguareded because we misjudged the threat.

We convinced ourselves that if Saddam fell from power the nation would greet us as liberators like Americans entering Paris during WWII. Sure, "millions" of Iraqi's celebrated the fall of Saddam, but our failure to anticipate the animosity between ethnic and sectarian groups costs tens of thousands of Iraqi lives and quite a few US soldier's lives. Iraq was a nation whose borders has been drawn rather randomly by Brits. There had been political struggles between Kurds, Sunnis and Shiites for a very long time - according to one article I read, the 600s. But we didn't see it coming. And we had no plan for it. The result was terrible bloodshed which continues to this day. So, unlike the fall of Germany, or the US transitional occupation of Japan, we found our soldiers the targets of killers, and a network of terrorists sprang up that didn't exist before. To me, we did bring the war to them, but we also brought the targets to them. Now, soldiers are paid to put their life on the line. I have great respect for that. But the killing of Americans, whether in Iraq or in the US, is tragic to me.

Further, because we believed that there were "terrorists" in Iraq when we got there, we allowed for reprehensible behavior to take place in Iraqi prisons. I've heard arguments that this was just a few bad apples, but I also heard Bush admin officials defending various interrogation methods (or simply refusing to discuss certain methods), and others who have made a much stronger case to my mind that torture was tacitly and in some cases explicitly encouraged and endorsed by the administration. Did this help us find WMDs? Did it help us destroy Al-Qaeda? Do I feel safer because people representing my country treated Iraqi prisoners like dogs? No. Others may disagree. I accept that there is an argument to be made on that end. But to me, and many others, the revelations from Abu Ghraib were a great stain on the US.

You mention Saddam's support for Palestinian terrorists. He was a very bad man. Agreed. But the Saudi Royal family was sending money to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers. It was Saudi money (privately held) that has funded terrorist training camps in more secular nations with majority Islamic populations. And Saudi Arabia is one of the most (if not the most) religiously conservative nations on the planet. They have a terrible human rights record. We don't go after them. In fact, we've defended their borders. None of this is to say Saddam wasn't very, very evil. Or that we shouldn't be allied with the Saudis. It is just to say that lots of wealthy Arabs have tries to support the Palestinians in some way over the years. I wish they wouldn't. But I'm not getting on a plane to go plead my case with them either. But of all the black marks on Saddam, that is the one that I just can't see as being worthy of invasion without similarly taking on the entire Middle East.

In conclusion, to me the question of whether Saddam was evil is separate to how we conducted ourselves in the prosecution of his removal. Saddam being worthy of being deposed does not equate with our behavior being beyond criticism. I think this adventure has revealed an administration that did not understand almost anything about the battle it was undertaking. The result cost lives and tarnished our honor around the globe. I personally don't ever want to hear from Bush or Blair again. To me, they blew it. I respect that you see it differently, and for the sake of history, I hope that someday facts come to light that change the world's perception on this. I don't see that happening, but I try to keep an open mind.

Regardless, I was shocked, and intrigued, to see this all reflected in the themes of QoS. I loved that aspect of the movie. Can't wait to see it again.

Keep dancing...

#36 marygoodnight

marygoodnight

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

SPOILERS

Quantum of Solace is not a Bond film to be taken lightly. This is no breezy comedy with big stunts. This is a movie that channels James Bond via John LeCarré for the emotional content—and has much more to do with LeCarré than with Jason Bourne, despite stylistic similarities in the fight sequences.

I MUST READ THIS IT'S GOT ME LAUGHING SO HARD !!!!!

It is easy to review the surface of a Bond film. The movies are as much about the shiny outer layer (Bond's clothes, his cars, his gadgets, the looks of the women and the looks of Bond himself) as they have ever been about espionage. So let's leave this behind along with camera placement, editing and even cinematography.

OK IF YOU SAY SO.

This film, as much as any other, shows Bond on a journey, gives him a character arc. So we drop style for content in this review.

BOND HAS BEEN ON A JOURNEY IN ALL THE FILMS..

So does Bond's emotional journey work in Quantum of Solace? Yes. Bond begins a barely controlled killing machine. He wants blood. He wants to hurt. He is, in this, like America after 9/11. And like America, he finds that death only begets more death, and in a chilling moment, the parallels to the past seven years of geopolitics come home as Bond sees the body of a foot soldier -

LAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

This is a film about thirst - thirst for oil, thirst for water, and thirst for solace—the greatest thirst of all. And this is something Bond finds, ultimately, by not firing his gun.

I can't wait to see where Bond may travel next.

Keep dancing...

THANKS FOR THE LAUGHS !!!! I USED A BOX OF TISSUE AND WET MY PANTS FROM LAUGHING SO HARD READING THIS REVIEW.

#37 Bonita

Bonita

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

"THANKS FOR THE LAUGHS !!!! I USED A BOX OF TISSUE AND WET MY PANTS FROM LAUGHING SO HARD READING THIS REVIEW."

The goal is always to entertain, Mary!

I did forget about that character arc that Bond followed in Live And Let Die. Emotionally gripping stuff. How could I have ignored that.

Keep dancing...