30 replies to this topic

#31 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

That same moment happens during this scene, as Bond is getting on the elevator with the MI6 agents, and we hear thrilling strains of the Bond theme rising in the background (but not overpowering the scene). After he incapacitates them, takes the gun, gets off the elevator and meets M, my heart does a little leap when he nimbly hops over the railing and scampers across, cat-like, then hops over the other railing. I try to imagine Brosnan pulling that off even half so deftly. Nope, can't see it.

Granted, the stiff-legged Brosnan might not have pulled it off as deftly, but absent a self-satisified re-adjustment of the tie, the scene seems like standard issue Brosnan-era silliness to me. Taking out every agent in the elevator is a bit much -especially for the hardboiled gritty world Craig's Bond is supposed to inhabit.

I guess everyone has different standards as to what's believable. I don't think Craig's world is supposed to be entirely hardboiled and gritty. There still must be at least a little bit of fantasy element to it to sustain the cinematic Bond character people have grown to love. It's the how much or how little of that iconography that's retained which seems to be the line in the sand people draw, individually. For me, what they've done for Craig's Bond is just enough without going overboard. For others, it's either still too much, or it's not enough. But any way you look at it, EON was never going to be able to satisfy everyone, given all our varying expectations.

Edited by byline, 20 December 2008 - 06:22 PM.