104 replies to this topic

#91 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

I'll pile on: great, great Bond film. Really surprising for me in so many ways -Vesper a part of the story to the end, Camille, Bond revealing the Quantum peeps at the opera (loved that sequence!), the action and the editing. This felt like the first grown-up Bond film in a very long time, maybe THE most. Kudos to all involved.

#92 Bradley De La Cloche

Bradley De La Cloche

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:35 PM

The amount of hatred from some people on this board is just ASTOUNDING. In fact, I'm pretty sure that some (not all) of the haters must have gone to see "High School Musical 3" by mistake. :(

Edited by Bradley De La Cloche, 14 November 2008 - 11:38 PM.

#93 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:06 AM

You can count me in as a fan of Quantum. Brilliant film and very artistic. A BIG move on Eon's part to be bold and do something different.

#94 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:27 AM

I liked it too. It's nice to have something different.

#95 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

Bond's vulnerablily in Quantum of Solace:

Mathis' Death.
- Held onto his friend, untill he died
- Mathis asked him to forgive Vesper and himself.

This was one of the saddest scenes I've ever seen in a Bond film. I stayed with my mouth wide open when Mathis was shot! I couldn't believe it! I was waiting for him to get up and take off his bulletproof vest.

#96 CM007

CM007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:18 PM

Oh, and Quantum of Solace WAS NOT Bourne-like in the least. I could find nothing at all that resembled Bourne. :(

That´s because you choose to ingnore it or else you just do want to acknowledge it and play Blind.If you want I can give you a complete run down of how this movie is the Quantum Of Bourne.Story wise,Action wise,

#97 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

That´s because you choose to ingnore it or else you just do want to acknowledge it and play Blind.If you want I can give you a complete run down of how this movie is the Quantum Of Bourne.Story wise,Action wise,

And I can give you a complete rundown of how you take every little trivial pece of information and twist it into your hatred for Daniel Craig.

#98 CM007

CM007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

And I can give you a complete rundown of how you take every little trivial pece of information and twist it into your hatred for Daniel Craig.

Go On I dare you because I don´t hate Daniel Craig.He´s my third favorite Bond after Brosnan and Connery so though titties

#99 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

Oh, and Quantum of Solace WAS NOT Bourne-like in the least. I could find nothing at all that resembled Bourne. :(

How dare you tell me what I do and do not choose to ignore. You don't know me... and, praise the lord, I don't know you either. If I say Quantum doesn't resemble Bourne, it doesn't resemble Bourne. It's my opinion and you should respect that, instead of going out of your way to emphasise your undying passion of the hatred of Daniel Craig.

#100 bendertherobot

bendertherobot

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

have to say, watched some Bourne last night.

Bloody camera won't stay still EVER during it. No nice panoramas, nothing wide, all shakey, close up and obscure angles.

You'd have to be "adopt a cliche" to subscribe to this film being a Bourne copy.

And Bond has some colour in the picture FFS!

#101 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

I'm glad you loved this movie, Mharkin! I was anxious you wouldn't because like me you've been optimistic. I almost sent you a MySpace message a couple times, because I was staying away from here but wanted to know how it was. I should have, you would have made me feel less anxious going into the film!

Re-reading the Mathis dialogue made me tear up again! I tell you I try not to cry during movies. I'll admit to being the silly girly sort, I teared up during a pivotal scene in the Cronenberg/Mortenson movie Eastern Promises, and I cried a little during a sad scene early in Iron Man, but after a few watchings these scenes didn't upset me anymore, but each time I saw Mathis pass away I cried a little bit more. It is a damn fine scene.

I'll admit that I've only seen bits of action scenes from Bourne films, and I tried hard to see in QOS what people complained as being shaky cam and Bourne-esque and I didn't see it. Perhaps it's because I haven't actually ever watched a full Bourne film just various fight scenes, my best friend had seen the Bourne movies and didn't see a resemblance and he'd tell me oh he'd tell me! He's my best friend so when it comes to the important things he never pulls the punch he tells me like it is. . But anyway, from what I gathered from those scenes I did see of Bourne movies, there is (and this is not necessarily a bad thing, it's what makes these men different.) a clinical/precise almost somnambulant fashion to how Bourne fights, it's not a mad battle for survival. Bond fights for his life with everything he's got. Two very different styles.

And as other have pointed out hadn't in the past EON gleaned from what was popular or innovative of the day and made it their own? In this case again whatever they used they made better by pushing it farther, and adding the style and sophistication that we expect of a Bond film. It's all good. It's all Bond.

Edited by ImTheMoneypenny, 21 November 2008 - 01:23 PM.

#102 bendertherobot

bendertherobot

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

But anyway, from what I gathered from those scenes I did see of Bourne movies, there is (and this is not necessarily a bad thing, it's what makes these men different.) a clinical/precise almost somnambulant fashion to how Bourne fights, it's not a mad battle for survival. Bond fights for his life with everything he's got. Two very different styles.

To an extent Bourne almost fights like Neo at the end of the Matrix, almost unstoppeable. Bond seems much more human. Besides Bourne has zero sense of humour.

#103 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

QOS is 10 times better the second time around. Edges have been polished. The action is much more easily understood.

I still would prefer less shakycam during the tunnels chase, and the boat scene is only going to get worse. Everything else improved.

The symmetries, as Hilde pointed out, make this a film lovers film as well as a great action flick and a great Bond.

Hidden moments of comedy abound.

It's flying up my rankings, nipping at the heels of CR. I may have to throw FRWL, TB, CR and this one all back in the pot for a good shake, and then take a fresh look at exactly how they pan out.

Could QOS be the BEST one? I suspect not. Not in that great company, but man do I love the fact that I have to ask at all!

#104 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

That's great, Judo. I'm awaiting my second viewing even more eagerly now.

That PTS really gets me off, though. No complaints about it whatsoever.

#105 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

The short run time aids it greatly.

I disagree. Mind you, I liked QoS a lot. But I think that what I believe was a pretty damn good story could have benefitted from a longer running time.