64 replies to this topic

#61 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:47 AM

Yes he was creepy and I kinda liked the weirdness of him, but I was hoping he was going to open a can of whoop-:( crazy and just go off on someone.

That's what I was expecting. It's kind of what we were led to believe in news stories beforehand. Instead, we get a whole lot of nothing. I like the monk hairstyle. It is agreeably creepy. But what the hell is up with it being a wig? And it's shown in such a quick way, that if you blink, you'll miss it. What's the point of that? His character would have been much better if he really wanted that weird hairstyle and was actually allowed to do something in the film. If his scenes really did wind up on the cutting room floor, it was a big mistake.

About elvis, there's a short scene in Bregenz when he's in a kind of technical room with another guy, and he turns back to stare at the other guy rather insistantly and creepily. My guess was that it was supposed to convey the idea Elvis is gay. What d'you think?

I think some people are totally misreading this scene. As I saw it, it is supposed to convey that Elvis is deeply moved by the Opera. I'm sure you see a tear in his eye. I find it a funny scene, he's this supposed heavy-henchman type, yet gets emotional all during an opera.

I totally agree Satorious. That is exactly the way I read the scene. He's a "tough guy" who likes opera. Very cultured.

#62 Kristian

Kristian

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:59 AM

Yes he was creepy and I kinda liked the weirdness of him, but I was hoping he was going to open a can of whoop-:( crazy and just go off on someone.

That's what I was expecting. It's kind of what we were led to believe in news stories beforehand. Instead, we get a whole lot of nothing. I like the monk hairstyle. It is agreeably creepy. But what the hell is up with it being a wig? And it's shown in such a quick way, that if you blink, you'll miss it. What's the point of that? His character would have been much better if he really wanted that weird hairstyle and was actually allowed to do something in the film. If his scenes really did wind up on the cutting room floor, it was a big mistake.

About elvis, there's a short scene in Bregenz when he's in a kind of technical room with another guy, and he turns back to stare at the other guy rather insistantly and creepily. My guess was that it was supposed to convey the idea Elvis is gay. What d'you think?

I think some people are totally misreading this scene. As I saw it, it is supposed to convey that Elvis is deeply moved by the Opera. I'm sure you see a tear in his eye. I find it a funny scene, he's this supposed heavy-henchman type, yet gets emotional all during an opera.

I totally agree Satorious. That is exactly the way I read the scene. He's a "tough guy" who likes opera. Very cultured.

I wish he would have been utilized more. But I guess when you have a 106 minute Bond film... Anyhow I love how he tried to stop Camille and she smacked his hands away and said, "Touch me and I'll break your wrist!" Go, girl!!

#63 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:12 AM

I'm not convinced; if they wanted to show him getting emotional at the opera, then just show his face with a tear rolling down his cheek. BUT they deliberately showed him turning to another man and smiling. Gay, gay, gay!

#64 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

Nah, I reckon the point of him turning to the other guy is because he realises he's being over-emotional. The other guy naturally think he's a bit odd crying. Elvis still doesn't care, he's totally swept up in the moment. It is like a play on those Mafia films where the tough boss is weaping whilst someone is getting gunned down in the background. If you think it's a gay moment, then fine - but personally I don't think that's the purpose of the scene. I think it's quite a funny moment.

#65 Innukchuck

Innukchuck

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

I only noticed that scene when you pointed out, but, about that, i agree with Satorius and the others. I don't think Elvis is gay.