64 replies to this topic

#31 The ides of Mark

The ides of Mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:39 PM

Further to all this, I can't even recall his character name being mentioned (I'm sure he said there was an Elvis line in there in some earlier interview). Plus I can't recall any mention of him being related to Greene. Looks like the cutting room floor got the better of him sadly.

That's a shame. Not only did Taubman state in early interviews that Elvis and Greene were related somehow, but Greene saved him from the streets. Maybe a proper Odjob for Bond 23?

Edited by The ides of Mark, 31 October 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#32 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

They were supposed to be cousins, or something like that...oh man...

I don't even remember that! I'll have to see the film again soon. :(

Bondrules, don't get me wrong. A touch of the Renards. Didn't you feel that about Le Chiffre at all? I did, slightly. Greene is of the same stamp as Le Chiffre I think: a slightly OTT young effeminate slender Euro-villain spoilt brat with sneaky eyes. I think he's fine as far as he goes, but I don't think it's quite the leap that Craig has been with Bond.

Actually, I loved LeChiffre, he was awesome :) ..I know many were not very pleased with him, but to me he was very convincing, especially during the torture scene

Robert Carlyle as Renard to me was wasted....he was great as Francis Begbie in TS though

Edited by bondrules, 31 October 2008 - 09:46 PM.

#33 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

I like the Le Chiffre / Dominic Greene style of Villains too! To me that's what a master Villain of the XXIst century should be: a kind of smooth, creepily smiling international executive. Let's see Bond fight the henchmen with his body, and their master with his mind. :(
Maybe that's the weak point of the Elvis character: he has the same profile as Greene.

#34 timmyv123

timmyv123

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

The weak point of the elvis character is that he's utterly pointless, he does nothing in the entire film, I can only recall 1 line of dialogue as well at the start when we 1st see him!

#35 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:33 AM

Further to all this, I can't even recall his character name being mentioned (I'm sure he said there was an Elvis line in there in some earlier interview). Plus I can't recall any mention of him being related to Greene. Looks like the cutting room floor got the better of him sadly.

I do remember him being called Elvis, by Greene I think. I'm positive about "Elvis" being voiced out.

Yes, Greene calls him "Illvees" in Haiti, but most people wouldn't pick up on it I think. Hell, I wouldn't know his name was Elvis if I hadn't already read it on this board!

#36 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

I think his longest talking scene is in Haiti, on a wharf, when he's having a conversation in German over the phone.

Actually, the conversation is in Swiss German, which is a bit different.
I think this is a first for a Bond movie: we learn that henchmen do have parents.
He's talking to his mum, telling her that it's ugly hot there. :(

Horribly underused he is. Why is it that we didn't have great and menacing and truly bad and evil henchmen any more? The last one in that vein was TND's Mr. Stamper, I think.

#37 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:28 AM

I think his longest talking scene is in Haiti, on a wharf, when he's having a conversation in German over the phone.

I think this is a first for a Bond movie: we learn that henchmen do have parents.

Ha! That is funny. I would have like to have seen the subtitles for that (after all, we did get subtitles for the Bolivian cab driver who was talking a load of nonsense).

#38 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

Too bad Elvis was so underused. After watching the movie last week, I don't know if we can even call him a henchman.

#39 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

The weak point of the elvis character is that he's utterly pointless, he does nothing in the entire film, I can only recall 1 line of dialogue as well at the start when we 1st see him!

Completely underused and pointless. If Fields didn't trip him down the steps you'd hardly notice the man!

#40 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Stromberg for the translation, that's awesome! :)

#41 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Stromberg for the translation, that's awesome! :)

I second that. Danke schoen.

#42 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

There was one interesting moment with Elvis, it was at the opera scene. When the opera is at an "emotional" moment, we see Elvis turn to look at some other guy and smile. Er...anyone's gaydar go off at that?

#43 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

that was odd, yeah

#44 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

Completely underused and pointless. If Fields didn't trip him down the steps you'd hardly notice the man!

Did I see correctly, when Fields tripped him, did his hairpiece come off? It happened so fast.

#45 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

Yes, and Yes

#46 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

Did I see correctly, when Fields tripped him, did his hairpiece come off? It happened so fast.

Yeah that's definitely what happened, it was blink and you'll miss it fast though. Could have done with a longer take, and Elvis' horrified reaction.

It makes the Elvis character more bizarre anyway. OK, so he's balding and chooses to wear a wig. But why deliberately choose THAT hairstyle?

#47 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, he is underused and its such a shame because there's so much that could have been done with this guy. Like Greene, he's pretty damn bizarre.

#48 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:05 PM

Hopefully on the DVD extras Forster, the actors, can tell us more on the background they created for these characters beyond what they have published and shown on the big screen.

#49 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:48 AM

He's forgetable.

#50 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:57 AM

Maybe a proper Odjob for Bond 23?

Actually I would like someone in the vein of OddJob, silent and skilled in martial arts with a special weapon. Also enhance his disturbing devotion to his employer.

#51 Dr.Mirakle32

Dr.Mirakle32

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:10 AM

I can't believe there is even a thread for this chracter. He was just the ugly thin guy with the bad toupee who just kinda stood around and looked creepy.

#52 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:11 AM

I can't believe there is even a thread for this chracter. He was just the ugly thin guy with the bad toupee who just kinda stood around and looked creepy.

Thank you.

#53 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:16 AM

He was really underused, yet his presence there, standing like a tree made the shots to look 'complete'.

#54 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:21 AM

Forgettable. Just a model for absurd hairstyles and whatever the hell that black thing was on his neck at the end. :(

Maybe that was the point: add to the overall creepiness of Quantum. If so, they succeeded.

#55 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

I also didn't catch he was called Elvis.
His haircut distracted from the role, next time, I'd rather have a nasty bad guy than a buffoon.

#56 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

Does he have less screentime than Dario?

Yes.

He almost has less screentime Dario had in From Russia with Love...

I did mention it at my review, Elvis was absolutely void in the film. I don't know if his scenes were cut in the editing (I suppose they were), but as it is, it 'd been better if he didn't exist in the film at all, for reasons of story economy. But I guess they were more interested in giving interviews explaining what they wanted to do, rather than doing it for real.

#57 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

By the way, anybody picked up on the belt buckle Elvis wears during the scene with the CIA guys in the plane? It's a big heart-shaped silver buckle! :( I thought it was a nice, discreet touch of weirdness, far better than the monk haircut of his wig.

#58 Athena3

Athena3

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

There's a touch of the Renards about them.

Touché spynovelfan! I think you've made a very good point there.

About elvis, there's a short scene in Bregenz when he's in a kind of technical room with another guy, and he turns back to stare at the other guy rather insistantly and creepily. My guess was that it was supposed to convey the idea Elvis is gay. What d'you think?

I noticed that, too. That look on his face when Greene placed him at the staircase was weird, too. Not henchman material at all. There was probably more to him than we were led to see on screen. It's evident the editing was crappy on this movie, nobody had any character development at all...pity.

I also didn't catch he was called Elvis.
His haircut distracted from the role, next time, I'd rather have a nasty bad guy than a buffoon.

I missed the name call, too. Wish I didn't, though. I probably would've like hime better. Still think the henchman should have been a little stockier. Perhaps it's a European thing. Yes he was creepy and I kinda liked the weirdness of him, but I was hoping he was going to open a can of whoop-:( crazy and just go off on someone.

#59 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

About elvis, there's a short scene in Bregenz when he's in a kind of technical room with another guy, and he turns back to stare at the other guy rather insistantly and creepily. My guess was that it was supposed to convey the idea Elvis is gay. What d'you think?

I think some people are totally misreading this scene. As I saw it, it is supposed to convey that Elvis is deeply moved by the Opera. I'm sure you see a tear in his eye. I find it a funny scene, he's this supposed heavy-henchman type, yet gets emotional all during an opera.

#60 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:09 PM

I think some people are totally misreading this scene. As I saw it, it is supposed to convey that Elvis is deeply moved by the Opera. I'm sure you see a tear in his eye. I find it a funny scene, he's this supposed heavy-henchman type, yet gets emotional all during an opera.

Now that's interesting. ou may be right, Sartorius! In this case, we would have the first henchman ever in a Bond film whom we see:
- calling his Mummy
- weeping at the Opera
Undoubtedly unsettling!