I'm a little confused. That model looks like she's from 1978, not 1968. :(

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

I can't believe they've redone the cover. The cover was the best thing about DMC! (And, yes, that's a swipe at DMC, but, actually, its Tuuli Shipster cover does verge on the iconic.)

And it's not as though the new one is even any good.

Oh, well.

I also find it surprising that the book is taking a year to appear in paperback. I mean, if films (even blockbusters like INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL and THE DARK KNIGHT) can come out on DVD six months after hitting cinemas.... I know that the book biz ain't the film biz, but, still....

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:08 PM

Now, am I correct that that is Tuuli on the cover (in a wig)? I believe it is. And she's in the red catsuit she wore to the launch event, so that's fun.

The cover... I get it. We had a sexy Tuuli modeled artsy cover for the hardcover, and now we have a little more in your face sexy Tuuli cover for the paperback. The theme is the same, I like that the font is the same, it's just a bit more...paperbacky. :(

My thing is I just don't love Bond covers that feature just a girl. Seems the easiest, cheapest route. I like covers that feature some version of Bond (even if it's just a silhouette) or, best yet, some sort of evocative image or object.

But I'm fine with this. And it's always exciting to see new cover art! :)

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:12 PM

Now, am I correct that that is Tuuli on the cover (in a wig)? I believe it is. And she's in the red catsuit she wore to the launch event, so that's fun.

Well, there is that, of course. :(

Still, hardly a wonderful cover, but, heck, I'm gonna buy the paperback anyway.

My thing is I just don't love Bond covers that feature just a girl. Seems the easiest, cheapest route. I like covers that feature some version of Bond (even if it's just a silhouette) or, best yet, some sort of evocative image or object.

Agreed.

#6 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

So is she suppose to be Poppy or just a girl?

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:22 AM

The cover is alright, I do prefer the other pose, but as zencat said - it's always exciting to see a new cover art.

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:00 AM

Oh good, Charlie's Angels.

#9 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

Well, stuff you nay-sayers!

She has a wicked look in her eye that some of us quite like. And she's, er, very well built.

Best thing to do with the whole DMC mess so far!

:(

#10 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

Yuck.

#11 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:47 AM

She has a wicked look in her eye that some of us quite like. And she's, er, very well built.

I'm with you there.

#12 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

Makes no difference. No amount of fresh paint on the cover can hide the rot within.

She is rather tasty though.

#13 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

Not up to the hardback cover, but that makes the hardback more desirable I suppose, which is nice.

#14 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

I can't believe they've redone the cover. The cover was the best thing about DMC! (And, yes, that's a swipe at DMC, but, actually, its Tuuli Shipster cover does verge on the iconic.)

Same. I'm a disappointed. Not that this cover is ugly, but the UK hardback one is really the best thing about the book.

#15 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:16 AM

No amount of fresh paint on the cover can hide the rot within.

Yes, it's not much chop at all. Re-release Colonel Sun instead, please.

#16 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:57 AM

Posted Image
Plus, UK paperback now available to pre-order

#17 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:38 AM

The paperbacks on sale in Waterstones yesterday had the usual UK hardback style cover.

#18 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:42 AM

I'm very pleased that the sales of DMC were huge, and I hope the paberback does the same. What I most hope for is that this success leads to a new Bond novel. A new literary Bond adventure , every two years, between the cinematic adventures? That to me would be ideal.

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

EDIT: whoops, wrong thread

#20 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

The paperbacks on sale in Waterstones yesterday had the usual UK hardback style cover.

Yes I saw the same thing in Smiths the other day.

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Those are International paperbacks released on the same day as the hardcover. International editions don't typically show up in UK stores, but for whatever reason, these are.

#22 zerominus

zerominus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:09 PM

As zencat says, these don't normally show up in high street stores in the UK. Do any industry insiders or other book experts have any ideas why they have on this occasion? Presumably this signals the end of demand for the hardback of this title on the high street with these paperback editions out there.

#23 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Those are International paperbacks released on the same day as the hardcover. International editions don't typically show up in UK stores, but for whatever reason, these are.

These were in pride of place as if they had only just been released- they hadn't been hanging around since the hardcover launch.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:14 PM

These were in pride of place as if they had only just been released- they hadn't been hanging around since the hardcover launch.

Hmmm. Weird. I'd like to see one of these. I have the International paperback. I'd like to compare and see if these might be something different.

#25 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

I believe they have been available since the hardcover release of Devil May Care - at least in locations like Australia, south east Asia and in British airports. High street locations would have only had the hardcover releases in stock.

My guess is that they've only been pushed in high street locations recently - possibly to capitalise on folks who view hardcover releases as too pricey, but are prepared to shell out for a marginally cheaper "international paperback" edition. I imagine Penguin makes more money on these than a traditional paperback release. May as well try and cash in as much as possible on Devil May Care.

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

I think you're right about that, [dark].

#27 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

Same thing in the Waterstones in the West Country where I bought my trade paperback the other day. They're evidently getting pride-of-place treatment in bookshops up and down the land.

Coincidentally enough, a new James Bond film has just been released and is packing out cinemas across the country. There must just possibly be some kind of connection there (predictably, right next to the stack of DEVIL MAY CAREs was a stack of paperbacks called QUANTUM OF SOLACE - THE COMPLETE JAMES BOND SHORT STORIES). :(

#28 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:44 PM

Coincidentally enough, a new James Bond film has just been released and is packing out cinemas across the country. There must just possibly be some kind of connection there (predictably, right next to the stack of DEVIL MAY CAREs was a stack of paperbacks called QUANTUM OF SOLACE - THE COMPLETE JAMES BOND SHORT STORIES). :(

That'd be the other reason - Penguin could probably shift more of these paperbacks than if they hauled out the hardcovers again. Here in Canada, the Devil May Care hardcovers are back in prominant positions throughout stores.

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

Must be nice. I haven't seen squat in U.S. stores. :(

#30 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

Ridiculous, isn't it?

With Quantum of Solace raking in the cash, it's absurd not to push the novels. The things would sell themselves, surely.