43 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:16 AM

After bouncing what feels like a hundred ideas off him, coco1997 has finall convinced me to post one of my stories here. Those of you who frequent the other forum and know me as shadowonthesun may have seen some of my other hit-and-miss affairs, most of which never get finished for one reason or another. But this time, I think I have it: a story I can see through to the very end. I haven't written it just yet - hoping to get started this afternoon or evening wih the first chapter - but I wholly intend to get this one off the ground. In the meantime, here's a bit of a teaser ...

------------
CAPTAIN TIGHTPANTS presents DANIEL CRAIG
as IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007
in
A KIND WORD ALONE

"You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone"
~ Quote attributed to Al Capone

Italy's fastest-growing and most violent crime family, the 'Ndrangheta, are looking to expand their empire, and have settled on England. But when he intercepts a consigment of recreational drugs in the English Channel, James Bond discovers something much greater is at stake. Europe is about to become a battleground, and the only way to stop it is to venture deep into the heart of mob-controlled Italy. With the Russians on one side and the Italians on the other, James Bond is in a race against time to stop Europe from becoming engulfed in bloodshed. From a reckless assault on a container ship to the streets of Naples and southern Italy, from an illegal border crossing in Eastern Europe to tempting fate with Russia's most dangerous criminal organisation, James Bond is running out of time, out of options and is already out of bullets ...

And here's an extract just to pique your interest a litte ...

"Have you ever read Dante's The Divine Comedy?" the 'Ndrangheta asked mildly. "You should; it truly is an ... englightening read. Dante and his guide Virgil descend through the layers of Hell until they get to Judecca, the very bottom level. And in this deepest, darkest circle of Hell, they find a frozen lake. Can you imagine what they might have found there?"

"No," the man sitting across from him said, the only indication that he was uncomfortable being the way he tightened his grip on the arm-rests of his chair. He was otherwise a picture of solidarity; there was no quaver of fear is voice, no sign of sweat on his brow, and he met the gaze of his paymaster evenly.

"They find Satan himself, a three-headed monster frozen to the waist in the centre of the lake," the mobster continued, "And with him are the three greatest traitors in the history of mankind: Cassius and Brutus being devoured by the left and right heads of the Devil, and in the centre is the eternal soul of Judas Iscariot being eaten by Satan at te same time as the Devil's claws skin his back. The greatest punishment for the greatest traitor known to man; even the name Judecca is named for him. Fitting, isn't it? Now, I don't mean to be glib, but I imagine real estate prices in Judecca are really quite inexpensive; after all, Judas betrayed Jesus Christ for just thirty pieces of silver. I'd say that's about ten thousand dollars in today's terms, though I do confess that I'm only guessing. Conventient that it's the same amount you accepted from the DIA in exchange for information. You were cheated, really: ten thousand dollars isn't even enough to buy you a few final words." With that he rose from his seat and kicked the desk that separated them away, knocking the informant over. Without hesitation, the 'Ndrangheta delved into his coat and returned with a gun in hand. Standing over the stunned form of he informant, he coolly took aim and emptied the magazine into the man's body. He was dead before the second shot tore into his chest. The sheer violence of the act did not faze the 'Ndrangeta in th slightest; he barely blinked as he shot the man and ignored the body once he was finished.

"Call the governor," he announced. "Tell im that if he doesn't do something to stop the DIA, being re-elected will be the least of his worries."

------------

Coming soon ...

#2 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

Pardon the double-post, but chapter one is now online.

#3 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:56 PM

Excellent. Very PTS-esque, can't wait to see more of this.

#4 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

Very cool stuff, Captain. Can't wait to see the rest of the story fleshed out in this way. :(

#5 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:34 AM

Thanks guys. I've submitted chapter two, The Unholy Trinity just now, so look for it appearing online soon.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

Three new additions online now.

#7 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:04 AM

Chapter five, Leverage, submitted.

Feedback much appreciated!

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:45 AM

New addition up now.

#9 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hmmm, have to say, I'm not overly happy with the way that last chapter player - specifically the bit in Lecce - played out. I had it all set up in my head, but it just didn't play out the way I'd envisioned it.

#10 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:56 PM

Oooh, this'll keep me busy today!

#11 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

Chapter 2

Pozzi makes an interesting villain with his Fleming-esque Napoleon complex. Nice interaction between M and Bond, nice reappearance by Villiers.

Chapter 3

Bond dines with Fran, our beautiful blonde Italian Bond girl, and discuss the possible war between the two crime organisations. A nice interlude though Bond eating margherita pizza feels a bit off.

Chapter 4

The mafia find Bond and we get one of the best car chases that I've ever seen written in fanfiction, following a nice sequence where Bond escapes from a hotel room.

I could see both sequences on the screen, though they would both be accused of having been stolen from Bourne, unfortunately.

Chapter 5

Bond and Fran head to Lecce and we hear of Lidia Galli, possibly a secondary Bond girl, from the descriptions of her. Modesto Galli makes an interesting figure - possibly a much better main villain than Pozzi.

#12 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

I didn't really know that much about Neopolitain cusine, but knew Naples is best known as the birthplace of the pizza, and margherita is one of only three they recognise as being actual pizza. I didn't really imagine it as being like Domino's or Pizza Hut, but more a swanky restauant.

#13 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

Chapter six, A Farewell to Honour, has ben submitted. I figured it was time to let you have some idea of what was really happening ...

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

New addition up now.

#15 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

Guys, just one thing ... my writing more of this depends on people having read peious chapters. I don't want to put a whole lot of effort into writin five or six pages in MS Word for no-one to read it. I know there's a few of you who are reading it, but if you could just post every now and again so that I know you're still reading, I'd really appeciate it. I don't see this thing lasting more than about ten more chapters - nine more is my current guess - but with fifteen chapters at five pages each, that's seventy-five pages that I'd have to type up, which as you can appreciate, is quite a bit of work to do. And I've got big ideas for another story brewing already ...

Also hoping for some feedback, too.

#16 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:21 PM

Oh, I intend to keep reading this - it's very good, I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm continually impressed by the quality of work this fanfic forum produces.

I got the last chapter yesterday evening but had lots of work to do so haven't had time to read it yet - except comments either later tonight or tommorow evening.

#17 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

I really should be doing my coursework, but :-

Chapter 6

I think this chapter may have been best read immediately after the reading of the previous two chapters - as it was, I found myself having to flick back to previous chapters to check who was with who and which group was where. But it's certainly explained what is going on in the story - and the suggestion that the story will now move to Eastern Europe has got me guaranteed to continue reading.

#18 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:32 AM

Chapter seve, The Wind is East has been submitted; the action now moves to Bulgaria.

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

New addition up now.

#20 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

Chapter 7

The action moves to Bulgaria, giving the story a bit of a travelogue feel. This isn't a bad thing, given my favourite of the films is You Only Live Twice, arguably the best travelogue of the films. The trail leads to Sofia and then points onwards to Varna, not much happens and this is more of a pause in the story - so lets hope the drama returns in the next chapter.

#21 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates; I have an assignment due Friday and it's a big one.

Still planning the details of chapter eight, as it does involve an action sequence and when writing them, you really need to be aware of everything that is happening. Bond and Fran will be in Varna looking for Goncharenko and will have to deal with the Camorra assassins at the UNESCO-listed dig site in the town.

#22 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:15 PM

I've been enjoying this but I will comment further when I know it will be finished; far too much fan fiction sorta gets lost out there... somewhere...

I am very sure that you will finish it, however, and I will be interested to see how it all turns out.

#23 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates; I have an assignment due Friday and it's a big one.

Still planning the details of chapter eight, as it does involve an action sequence and when writing them, you really need to be aware of everything that is happening. Bond and Fran will be in Varna looking for Goncharenko and will have to deal with the Camorra assassins at the UNESCO-listed dig site in the town.

Can't wait!

#24 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:15 PM

I've a lot to catch up with regarding fanfic, but I'll give this a read when things get calmer here :(

#25 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

Assignment is done, and so is chapter eight: The Dead Deserve to Rest.

#26 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

Can't wait to read it.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:25 PM

New addition up now.

#28 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:24 AM

Well, I for one am certainly enjoying the story.

It is well balanced between fact and fiction.
With good references to detail and subject knowledge, all this puts the reader right in the forefront of the action.

Looking forward to the next installment

Volante.
Edge of Treason
Silhouettes and Shadows

#29 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:11 AM

Thank you, volante. All I can say is that where Wikipedia leads, I follow.

#30 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:43 AM

Well, I'll be devouring this latest installment this afternoon.