65 replies to this topic

#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

By Royal Command - (in mail so I don't want to jinx it, but let's just say it is low, very low.)

I was watching that auction.

Big congrats to you.

Pure incident that I know which number you bought. Congrats from me, too :(

We don't need to keep it a secret. It's #001. I just didn't want to say I had it until I actually have it in my bookcase. Don't want to empower the mail gremlins. But, yes, I bought it.

Also have a nice Tesco edition w/ Bond card on the way. This is the copy I'll probably have Charlie inscribe at some point.

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:29 AM

(Qwertz, that is a very low box set number! Well done!)

It was a pretty lucky find. :( I generally don't put too much emphasis over whether the number on these types of limited editions is low or not--I'm happy just to have snagged one for collecting purposes! But when I saw this one, I just went for it.

That's why my new policy is to pre-order from Hatchards. That's what I did with DOD and what I'm doing with HG. You're still playing the number lottery (although I think they always get the lowest numbers), but they do a very good job with shipping. That way I have a Mint copy on the shelf within a week of release, then I can number hunt if I need to.

The quality of packaging and delivery from Hatchards is above all others. It probably seems like a meaningless thing to be concerned about in the grand scheme of things, but it definitely matters in my opinion if you're an avid collector.

Every single Young Bond limited edition I've gotten from that has arrived in pristine condition. Going to have to pre-order that Hurricane Gold soon so I don't miss out.

#33 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Whats the Tesco Edition Zencat? New one on me that one.

#34 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

On behalf of zencat: http://www.youngbond...e_at_Tesco.html

#35 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

Extra info. The cards are not loose but come lightly attached in the back of the book, and the cover has a special sticker noting it's an edition with cards. These two factors made me decide these are special editions that need to be collected, especially if you can score a copy with a James Bond card (fortunately, two of the three sheets have a Bond card, but I think the BRC Bond card is preferable).

There was a wave of these on eBay, but they've really dried up. Wonder how many they did?

#36 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

Extra info. The cards are not loose but come lightly attached in the back of the book, and the cover has a special sticker noting it's an edition with cards. These two factors made me decide these are special editions that need to be collected, especially if you can score a copy with a James Bond card (fortunately, two of the three sheets have a Bond card, but I think the BRC Bond card is preferable).

There was a wave of these on eBay, but they've really dried up. Wonder how many they did?

Is there a copy of the By Royal Command Bond card available anywhere? I can't wait to see Kev Walker's By Royal Command Bond image.

#37 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

Is there a copy of the By Royal Command Bond card available anywhere? I can't wait to see Kev Walker's By Royal Command Bond image.

The BRC card I'm talking about is the BF Bond image with a BRC background (below). Unfortunately, no new Kev Walker BRC art has been posted to the official site yet.

Posted Image

#38 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:40 AM

Does anyone have the link for where one can pre-order the hurricane gold limited edition? I cant find it on the Boarders website.

#39 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

It's the fifth book down on the Hatchards website.

#40 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:23 PM

Unfortunately, no new Kev Walker BRC art has been posted to the official site yet.

I'm waiting on that as well.

#41 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

Thank you Dark.I have ordered that one. Saves the leg work and would hate to miss out.

I hope who ever gets the lucky find of number 007 of Limited edition hurricane gold does not sell it on eBay for a profit.

#42 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

I hope who ever gets the lucky find of number 007 of Limited edition hurricane gold does not sell it on eBay for a profit.

I hope they do. To me. :(

#43 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:07 AM

Books in hand, here's the latest:

SilverFin - #254
Blood Fever - #865
Double or Die - #011 (& #147)
Hurricane Gold - #007
By Royal Command - #001 (& #186)
The Young Bond Collection Box Set - #019

#44 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

I now am the proud owner of the follwing collection:-

SilverFin - #770
Blood Fever - #712
Double or Die - #646
Hurricane Gold - #702
By Royal Command - #546 & #1519

I also have the first edition in hardback of Hurricane gold signed by Charlie but not numbered. It has the Puffin sticker on it stating "Signed by the author" I know its legit because of the shop of purchase. But does anyone know if this is normal? i am sure he must have done a few signings beside the limited numbered ones.

(Zencat thank you so much for recommending http://www.youngbondbooks.co.uk at the start of this thread! top books in complete mint condition!!!)

#45 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

I also have the first edition in hardback of Hurricane gold signed by Charlie but not numbered. It has the Puffin sticker on it stating "Signed by the author" I know its legit because of the shop of purchase. But does anyone know if this is normal? i am sure he must have done a few signings beside the limited numbered ones.

That's not uncommon. When Charlie does signings, he will sometimes sign the store's remaining stock and they'll slap a sticker on those.

#46 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

Do they normally release cover art for these Limited Collectors Editions before they come out or do we have to wait until someone picks up a copy and takes photos?

#47 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:38 AM

Do they normally release cover art for these Limited Collectors Editions before they come out or do we have to wait until someone picks up a copy and takes photos?

Usually one pops on eBay before any official images are released (in fact, I think they only released images for SilverFin).

For some reason, it's very tricky getting info on these. Remember all the confusion about DOD being available online, then suddenly it wasn't? And some Waterstones were telling people it was canceled? But I'll see what I can do.

#48 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:08 AM

I only ask because I just spotted this Waterstone's listing, which will no doubt cause as much confusion as the Double or Die one did.

The artworks there appears to just be the paperback cover.

#49 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

Just an update on my collection....

SilverFin Slipcased Limited - #770
Blood Fever Slipcased Limited - #712
Double or Die Slipcased Limited - #646
Hurracane Gold Slipcased Limited #84
By Royal Command Hardback First Edition - #546 & #1519
Hurricane Gold hardback First Edition - #702

I wonder where the Hurracane Gold Slipcased Limited edition number 007 is?

#50 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

So you have a HG slipcased edition, Dan? Can I ask where you got it? I'm just trying to confirm that the book has been released so I can put this news up on my site.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. I saw you posted the info in the other thread.

#51 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

BTW, there is a SilverFin Limited #003 on eBay at the moment. Nice, but the seller is asking the moon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=310087778908

#52 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

BTW, there is a SilverFin Limited #003 on eBay at the moment. Nice, but the seller is asking the moon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=310087778908

Holy! US $473.69 Some other time perhaps.

#53 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

I think that's a price you could ask for #001 or #007, but not 003. Oh, you can ask a good price for a double O number, but not that high, IMO.

#54 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

A Hurricane Gold Limited just popped up on eBay. A beauty!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

#55 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

So you have a HG slipcased edition, Dan? Can I ask where you got it? I'm just trying to confirm that the book has been released so I can put this news up on my site.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. I saw you posted the info in the other thread.

Sorry for the late reply Zencat. Yes I have the slipcased limited edition of Hurricane Gold from Hatchers. It was thanks to you and Dark that i pre-ordered it. Have you both not got yours yet? Mine turnt up yesterday.

Thats the puppy! Bit pricey as you can still get it from waterstones for 25 english pounds. I wonder what number it is. I would have to look. Could 007!

#56 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

Sorry for the late reply Zencat. Yes I have the slipcased limited edition of Hurricane Gold from Hatchers. It was thanks to you and Dark that i pre-ordered it. Have you both not got yours yet? Mine turnt up yesterday.

Thanks, Dan. I take it you live in the UK. I live in the US, so while mine has shipped from Hatchards, I might not see it until next week.

#57 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

Thanks, Dan. I take it you live in the UK. I live in the US, so while mine has shipped from Hatchards, I might not see it until next week.

Yes I am in the UK. Hatchards have done a lovley job of packing it as you said they do in a pervious thread.

So its offical Zencat its out now!

#58 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

Yes I am in the UK. Hatchards have done a lovley job of packing it as you said they do in a pervious thread.

So its offical Zencat its out now!

It certainly looks that way. At least Hatchards is shipping. But I still like to hear from someone who has spotted a copy at a Waterstones store. I'd also like to score a better pic.

#59 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

Nice. Looks like the dustjacket is going to be all good in that more yellow-coloured box. Should be interesting to see in the flesh.

#60 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

Updated list:

I think I'll be happy if I have a set of five books, all of them with numbers under 500.