#1 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hi,

Does any members know if the limited slipcased signed and numbered editions of Silverfin and Blood Fever are still avalible to buy anywhere else other than eBay?

I have spotted 3 signed sealed copies of Double or Dare still on the shelves of one chain bookshop.But I am after Silverfin and Blood fever. Also does anyone have a run down of the complete limited Young Bond editions?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

Check out http://www.youngbondbooks.co.uk/

There have been 3 of these special slipcased editions so far: SF, BF, and DOD. Hurricane Gold is coming out in October.

The regular UK hardcover editions of HG and BRC where also released signed and numbered. Not special editions like the slipcased books, just the regular first with Charlie's signature and a number stamp. 1500 Hurricane Gold. 2000 By Royal Command.

#3 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

Thank you Zencat. I have DoD signed and slipcased and HG signed and numbered so far. I wonder what makes a collection? slipcased limited and numbered or signed and numbered? which to go for? I seem to have a mix.

I do think putting the number in them is a very good idea!

#4 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

Is it just my eyes or is the number stamp in the Limited Collector's Editions actually printed on the page, rather than just a stamp?

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

It appears printed in the slipcase editions, but the firsts are just stamps. In fact, from what I've seen on eBay, it appears some of the higher number BRCs (1000+) didn't stamp very well.

#6 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

I agree it appears printed in the limited slicase edition i have.

So Zencat i dare say a By Royal Command Slipcase limited is due in the future?

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 08 September 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:59 AM

So Zencat i dare say a By Royal Command Slipcase limited is due in the future?

Well, we probably won't know for sure until this time next year, but I would think it's almost a certainty. They wouldn't stop now.

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

I'm actually curious to hear what number Limited Collector's Editions everyone has. Throw in the signed hardback numbers of Hurricane Gold and By Royal Command, too, if you like.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

SilverFin - #254
Blood Fever - #865 (looking to upgrade number and condition)
Double or Die - #011
Hurricane Gold - #007
By Royal Command - (in mail so I don't want to jinx it, but let's just say it is low, very low.)
The Young Bond Collection Box Set - #019

#10 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

By Royal Command - (in mail so I don't want to jink it, but let's just say it is low, very low.)

You didn't wind up with #007 again, did you, you lucky bugger?

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

I'll follow:

SIGNED/NUMBERED SLIPCASED COLLECTORS EDITIONS--
SilverFin: 758
Blood Fever: 175
Double or Die: 167

SIGNED/NUMBERED REGULAR EDITIONS--
Hurricane Gold: 388 / 1500
By Royal Command: 696 / 2000

Borders Young Bond Collection (SF, BF, DOD): 0009 / 1000

By Royal Command - (in mail so I don't want to jink it, but let's just say it is low, very low.)

:(

I was watching that auction.

Big congrats to you.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

You didn't wind up with #007 again, did you, you lucky bugger?

Nope. I went lower.

You got a BF #096? Didn't you just get that recently on eBay? Nice work. I've had a time finding an upgrade at a good price.

#13 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

You got a BF #096? Didn't you just get that recently on eBay? Nice work. I've had a time finding an upgrade at a good price.

Yep. It was sealed, though, so I had no idea what number it was. After postage, it came to 50 pounds, which was about as high as I was willing to go. Very happy with the purchase, though!

(Qwertz, that is a very low box set number! Well done!)

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:18 PM

I hate when booksellers leave the BF in the shrink wrap. Yes, I understand how they think that will fetch a higher price, but it makes me pass them by (along with any other number hunters). They need to crack those babies open. 007 could still be out there!

#15 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

It's like a lottery! :(

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, I played that lottery on eBay with my BF and lost. I got a high number and a bump in the corner from shipping. Makes me cry everyday. :(

#17 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

With no intention of rubbing salt into the wound, zen, I was really impressed with the packing on my Blood Fever. The book was wrapped in bubble wrap and then had two sheets of cardboard - each slightly larger than the book itself - taped to either side so that the corners wouldn't get knocked about.

Mind you, the postal service can probably do enough damage to any sort of packing to render it ultimately useless, anyway.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

That's why my new policy is to pre-order from Hatchards. That's what I did with DOD and what I'm doing with HG. You're still playing the number lottery (although I think they always get the lowest numbers), but they do a very good job with shipping. That way I have a Mint copy on the shelf within a week of release, then I can number hunt if I need to.

#19 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

Interesting on your Hatchards theory, zen. Hopefully Hurricane Gold is released while I'm over there and I'll see if I can prove it for you!

#20 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

Do you Gents read your limited editions or just leave them on the bookshelf? and enjoy them ever now and again?

I got lucky at the weekend and found a copy of Hurricane Gold in hardback singed for normal retail price. (not numbered) so i had to get it. even I already have a numbered copy.

sorry, correction. it was signed not singed!

#21 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

Mine are just for the bookshelf (reference copies, if you like), much to the astonishment of my girlfriend just this week ("Why on earth would you buy a book and not read it!?").

I have paperbacks for reading - some are signed and some are not. Blood Fever is the only Young Bond book where I don't have an unsigned copy (but my signed and inscribed copy was very much my reading copy beforehand, so it's a bit beaten about).

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

Do you Gents read your limited editions or just leave them on the bookshelf?

They're for the shelf (the collection). But I have a designated "reading copy" of every book as well.

#23 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

I have only read Silverfin in paperback so far. So cant wait to get to Bloodfever.

Are we the only adult collectors of Young Bond Books? I wonder if more adults read the books than the Teen market?

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

I have only read Silverfin in paperback so far. So cant wait to get to Bloodfever.

Are we the only adult collectors of Young Bond Books? I wonder if more adults read the books than the Teen market?

When you go to a Charlie event you realize the vast amount of readers are, indeed, young people.

There are other adult Young Bond collectors I'm sure, but most of the really big Bond collectors I know don't go after YB material, which is great for me as I don't have to compete with them. Booksellers do aggressively go after YB material, but I usually know their ceiling (because I have a feeling I'm the crazy collector who sets it :().

#25 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

If Charlie's signings are anything to go by, his readership is firmly more youthful than us. But they strike me as the kind of books that parents might secretly read and enjoy as well.

But these Limited Collector's Editions must surely be aimed at us - especially with that price tag.

#26 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:59 PM

I was toying about going to a talk Charlie Higson was doing about Young Bond. Now i know its will be full of young readers (fair dosss as its aimed at them) i will save myself the embarresment!Thanks for the heads up Zencat.

#27 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

I was toying about going to a talk Charlie Higson was doing about Young Bond. Now i know its will be full of young readers (fair dosss as its aimed at them) i will save myself the embarresment!Thanks for the heads up Zencat.

Oh, you should definitely still go. I think Charlie anticipates the odd Bond aficionado to be in attendance. He might even appreciate it. When I saw Charlie at a signing for Blood Fever, he fielded a string of questions from one child who wanted to see Bond face off with King Kong. A more focussed question or two would surely be welcomed by Charlie.

Maybe try to choose an evening signing; I imagine these would have a more mature audience.

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

It's always a mix. It was funny, when Charlie did his appearance in LA for SilverFin, almost everyone in the audience were adults. The first words out of Charlie's mouth was, "I'm glad to see so many kids here."

If you live in England, DAN, you should think about going to see Charlie at The Apple Store in London next Wed. That might be a largely adult event. In fact, I think some of the CBn Team are going to that one.

#29 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:17 PM

Its funny i could not get into John Gardners License Renewed but Silverfin just felt so right and gripped me. How did Charlie get it so right? Is it because he kept him in the right time frame as Ian Fleming did. Not like Gardner and bring him forward in time?

I have copys
DOD Number 646
HG Number 702
BRC Number 1519

Not impresive but I am gratefull for what I have got so far.

Silverfin in LA sounded fun. If only I lived close to London I would go.

#30 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:14 PM

Is it just my eyes or is the number stamp in the Limited Collector's Editions actually printed on the page, rather than just a stamp?

I'm certain that all of the "stamps" are actually printed. Of the numbered ones, I only have the SF slipcased (which is #598/999, btw), so I can only judge from that edition, but it looks like the whole page with the stamp was printed on a classic letterpress printing machine (as opposed to offset printing, which was used for the rest of the book), as those old time machines are the only ones that can do a proper numbering.

The whole technical process is a bit difficult to explain for me, even in German, so I wont even try to do that in English. If you compare the larger areas of black (the YB logo on the left side and the SF logo on the right side, for example), you might see what I mean.

Have to admit that it's possible that I'm totally wrong on this (it would help to be able to compare two or three different copies). But that's what I'd guess, based on the fact that I spent a lot of my working life close to printing machines :)

Apart from the slipcased SF, I have two other signed (but not numbered) YBs: a US Hardcover (dedicated to me, thanks to a well respected Bond scholar and good friend ;)) and a paperback HG, bought at Waterstones the day 'Devil May Care' came out.

Everything else, I have as regular UK editions: SF 4th, BF 2nd, DoD and HG 1st, and all the German 1st editions.

I'll follow:

SIGNED/NUMBERED SLIPCASED COLLECTORS EDITIONS--
SilverFin: 758
Blood Fever: 175
Double or Die: 167

SIGNED/NUMBERED REGULAR EDITIONS--
Hurricane Gold: 388 / 1500
By Royal Command: 696 / 2000

Borders Young Bond Collection (SF, BF, DOD): 0009 / 1000

:)

I was watching that auction.

Big congrats to you.

Pure incident that I know which number you bought. Congrats from me, too :(