39 replies to this topic

#31 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

In TWINE, there is a character called Christmas, and also she and Bond appear to be spending Christmas in Istanbul at the end of the movie.

Actually, Bond is spending Christmas in Christmas.* :)

*This crude excuse for a joke brought to you by... well, I'll just spare them the embarrassment. :(

#32 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:05 AM

I wouldn't mind Christmas in another 007 film if it were incidental, or integral to the plot (think Win, Lose or Die), but just because there hasn't been one since TWINE (which was only significant for Dr. Jones and the Y2K bug gag)?

OHMSS works because it featured Christmas in Switzerland, with all its attendant (sleigh)bells and whistles. Like other posters here, I only watch OHMSS in December (along with two other December releases, Diamonds Are Forever and TMWTGG). For me its when I saw them that counts, more than when they are set. (BTW, Die Hard 2 is another December only treat, along with Where Eagles Dare and Love, Actually).

Edited by AMC Hornet, 15 August 2011 - 03:06 AM.

#33 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

Don't forget Die Hard!

Oh, seems someone already remembered it.

Still, best Christmas movie EVER.

True. But DIE HARD is a real problem for a Bond film set on a holiday. A lot of people want the Bond films to stop globe-trotting and instead spend most of their time in one location. But if it's in one location during a holiday period, it's effectively a DIE HARD film. Bond takes enough flak for (supposedly) ripping off Jason Bourne; the last thing we need is for the franchise to be accused of plagiarising from John McClane.

#34 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

My festive movie of choice is Home Alone (1990).[/quote]

Underrated Christmas Movies:

Lethal Weapon (1987)

D.O.A. (1988)

Die Hard 1 & 2 (1988, 1990)

The Ref (1994)

#35 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

For me the festive Bond film will always remain OHMSS, so that is probably done for good and can't really be topped any more.

But if we take festive in a less European-centred sense there would be for example the Japanese Hanami tradition from March to early May that I could imagine might feature in a similar role in a future film. It's not nearly as defined and of course also varies in its dates, depending on weather and location. But it would surely make for some most memorable footage if used the right way.

Edited by Dustin, 17 August 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#36 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

A lot of people want the Bond films to stop globe-trotting and instead spend most of their time in one location.

If I want to see James Bond stuck in 1 location, I'll watch LTK (Apart from Key West, the story goes nowehere; and that kills me because it's a fictitious location. One would think that if they could make up one, they could make up several more.)

#37 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Dr. NO and YOLT proved that you can film in one location, and still present a variety of exotic backdrops.

Globetrotting, however, is one of the charming elements of the 007 series. Sure, almost anyone can now enjoy a package holiday to the Bahamas, for instance, but how many people start their junket in Paris, then stop off in London for a little R & R before flying down to Nassau to buzz the reefs in a helicopter before being dropped off the Florida coast?

Granted, QoS was almost too frantic, visiting so many locations in so brief a running-time (if ever there was a movie that needed location subtitles this was the one), but at least we got to see some scenery along the way (did anyone else think that Hamburg and Saigon looked very similar from the harbour POV in TND?.

So I'm good with 2-3 location changes per film (Hong Kong & Thailand, for instance, or Egypt & Sardinia) - just don't leave me jet-lagged.

#38 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:52 AM

A lot of people want the Bond films to stop globe-trotting and instead spend most of their time in one location.

I said most of his time. Apparently people think that Bond should stay in a country, see the sights and absorb the culture.

And don't forget, while LTK spends most of its time in Isthmus, TB spent most of its time in the Bahamas.

#39 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

OHMSS works because it isn't a "Christmas" movie, it is a Bond film in which a sizable part of the story just happens to take place around Christmas time. (Actually, the novel starts off, not in December but September.) The only seasonal parts in the film which stand out for me feature the "angels of death" receiving their "Christmas presents", Bond's escape from Piz Gloria and that song by Nina, and Blofeld trimming the Christmas tree. Admittedly there's snow (Even though they had to import some, I understand!), but set against a Swiss backdrop the story could have taken place at a time other than Christmas. It's just that, as others here have noted, the story uses the time of year well.

Bond, of course, marries in the New Year. Yet the marriage is shown as a rather colourful, flower-laden affair rather than something set against the New Year celebrations - though its hard to imagine the guests witnessing "I do" one minute and linking hands for "Auld Lang Syne" the next!

As for a future Bond movie, I don't mind it set against a seasonal time of year, provided its handled in the same way as OHMSS. But I do have an idea for a Swiss based Bond adventure which involves an annual event. In January, the "World Economic Forum" meets in Davos, Switzerland. Heads of State, Prime Ministers, billionaires, CEOs and the like all in one little place for one event.

Just suppose the bad guys planned for something nasty to happen there.........

It's just an idea for a James Bond adventure, I hasten to add. (After our recent "local difficulties" over here in Britain, one has to be careful what one posts on the 'net! ;) )

#40 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

the last thing we need is for the franchise to be accused of plagiarising from John McClane.
[/quote]

The name is, "Futher-Mucker, Yippie Kai Yay, Futher-Mucker