54 replies to this topic

#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:12 PM

I now have Hurricane Gold Slipcased Limited Edition Number 84 from Hatchers.

Its gold and yellowey. Very nice.

Cool. Did you purchase it in store, or did it come via mail?

Curious if anyone has seen a copy in a Waterstones yet. I'm trying to confirm that the book has been released so I can put this news up on my site (also would love a pic if anyone has one).

#32 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:20 PM

I snapped up my copy from Hatchards today - they had about 15 copies of it up behind the counter at perfect eye-level!

#456 of 999. Unfortunately, these editions don't have the number on a sticker on the front - so it's a blind purchase!

I also asked in Waterstone's and the guy seemed to be under the impression it was a website exclusive and not available in stores (the two Waterstone's I went to today didn't have it in stock). Don't take it as gospel, but it could be the case. Also, buying through Waterstone's, it's a Waterstone's Cardholder exclusive - it's free to join.

As for the edition itself, the slipcase is a straight yellow colour (i.e. not shiny gold) with the now-familiar croc. The book, however, has a gorgeous gold shine, similar to the paperback edition. It also includes the By Royal Command and SilverFin graphic novel previews.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

I also asked in Waterstone's and the guy seemed to be under the impression it was a website exclusive and not available in stores (the two Waterstone's I went to today didn't have it in stock). Don't take it as gospel, but it could be the case. Also, buying through Waterstone's, it's a Waterstone's Cardholder exclusive - it's free to join.

Good lord, here we go again. They change the rules on these with every release. Guess I need to wait until Monday to get the facts straight on this. Thanks [dark].

#34 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

Good lord, here we go again. They change the rules on these with every release. Guess I need to wait until Monday to get the facts straight on this. Thanks [dark].

I don't get why these releases seem so, uh, disorganised. No cover art preview, no specific release date, no clear way of obtaining them...

Thank heavens for Hatchards!

#35 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

And I also always have a somewhat hard time getting official info. I think this might be because Puffin leaves it up to Waterstone's to decide how they will sell it, and marketing may be up to Waterstone's as well. My Waterstones contact went MIA after Blood Fever.

But I have a feeling you're right, [dark], it looks to be an online exclusive. I also noticed that the My Word Is My Bond Limited Edition is being offered as a Waterstones online exclusive. I got my copy of the that today BTW (from Hatchards).

#36 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:57 PM

But I have a feeling you're right, [dark], it looks to be an online exclusive. I also noticed that the My Word Is My Bond Limited Edition is being offered as a Waterstones online exclusive. I got my copy of the that today BTW (from Hatchards).

Yeah, see, I never saw a copy of that in-store, but I know it's available from the Waterstone's website. I think Hatchards' allotment must have sold out, as they have no copies in-store, either.

#37 King and Country

King and Country

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

Good news from Waterstones - if you head to the Waterstones Hurricane Gold Limited Edition page and, once the book is added to your basket, type HL5486 in the promotions box you'll get 20% off, courtesy of HMV.

This offer ends 9am on Wednesday 15 October and applies to all books on the site.

I ordered mine this afternoon and it was dispatched soon after.

K&C

Edited by King and Country, 14 October 2008 - 10:27 PM.

#38 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

Good to know, King and Country.

I'm still waiting on mine from Hatchards. I might have done a lot better to order from Waterstones for both speed and price.

Has anyone here in the U.S. received their copy yet?

#39 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:33 AM

I received my copy from Hatchards a coupe of days ago, its surprising that it arrived before those in America.

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:32 AM

I'm still waiting on mine from Hatchards. I might have done a lot better to order from Waterstones for both speed and price.

I got a notice that mine recently shipped (was delayed a bit due to an error on my part).

#41 BrozFan

BrozFan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

Well, I don't know if you would have done better to order from Waterstones. I ordered from them Wednesday evening and I recieved it Friday, with a lovely large bump on one corner where the white of the cardboard actually shows through the yellow. Nice. So I'm waiting on a replacement copy - yipee.

They chucked it in a bubble mailer so being a cynic I was expecting a condition related surprise. So for the replacement I asked if they could perhaps use a box but the customer service guy said they have no say in these things but would but a footnote on the order. I'm not holding my breath, but fingers crossed.

It seems terribly old fashioned to actually buy books from a bookshop, but there is alot to be said for being able to pick out a book yourself.

So do Hatchards put a premium on the book? I've never ordered from them.

#42 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

I don't think they put a premium price on the book, my Limited edition copy cost 25 pounds. It also came bubble wrapped and in a box. Their service and customer info. has always been excellent.

Edited by Sbott, 19 October 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#43 BrozFan

BrozFan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

I don't think they put a premium price on the book, my Limited edition copy cost 25 pounds. It also came bubble wrapped and in a box. Their service and customer info. has always been excellent.

Thanks for that. Well at the exact same price I may have to give them a call if Waterstones fudge it second time round.

#44 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:15 AM

Yep, 25 quid from Hatchards, but the packaging on the book simply cannot be beaten - even the most careless postman would have a rough time putting a dent in one of their books.

#45 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

Got my book today. Hatchards packing was amazing and the book is flawless. Unfortunately, I lost bigtime in the low number sweepstakes. #932. Oh well.

This has got to be the best Collector's Edition yet. The yellow case and the gold book really look sharp. I also love that the boards of the book itself are gold. A beauty.

Can't wait to complete this set with BRC. This set is living room display worthy.

#46 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

Got my book today. Hatchards packing was amazing and the book is flawless. Unfortunately, I lost bigtime in the low number sweepstakes. #932. Oh well.

This has got to be the best Collector's Edition yet. The yellow case and the gold book really look sharp. I also love that the boards of the book itself are gold. A beauty.

Can't wait to complete this set with BRC. This set is living room display worthy.

Bang goes your Hatchards/low number theory. The copy I bought at Hatchards, unfortunately, has a small crease in the dustjacket, right on the spine. Didn't realise til I'd torn it open. It's not too bad, but it's rather obvious on the shiny dustjacket.

It is a gorgeous book and with By Royal Command, it'll make a tremendous looking set - they'll probably become the pride of my humble literary collection.

#47 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

Got mine yesterday (and yes, these books could be shot out of canon and they'd still be OK thanks to Hatchards' excellent packaging).

#150. I'm pretty happy with that number.

#48 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

Hatchards offering signed and slipcased hardcover for just 10 pounds

#49 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

Looks like it sold out.

#50 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

I guess that's not surprising if they're going to give it away for that excellent price! :(

#51 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

Yep - that price was too good not to pass up. I got an e-mail saying it was sold out "due to huge demand."

#52 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:25 AM

Damn, I was thinking of picking up another copy so I could replace the dustjacket on my current copy, which has a small crease in it. Not surprised it sold out, though - 10 quid is a bargain.

#53 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

Zencat did you think Hatchards had the best numbers? I got 84 from them so I wonder how you got a number in the 900?

Cant wait for BRC limited edition. I cant think of a limited collection of books as great as this Young Bond set has been. Great Prices as well.

#54 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:59 AM

Zencat did you think Hatchards had the best numbers? I got 84 from them so I wonder how you got a number in the 900?

Just bad luck, I guess.

#55 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

I notice Waterstone's is selling these for the heavily discounted price of £13.25.

Any word on the By Royal Command Limited Collector's Edition?