This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer (2010)

394 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

I cant wait for this, although I think Ewan (we are on first name terms) is not like the man I had in my head when I read the book. Bloody good book by the way!

Wait, you know him? B)

#32 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

Better trailer than AVATAR.

#33 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

Great stuff indeed. It's nice to see Brosnan in a Post-Bond role. Is there a release date yet?

#34 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Great stuff indeed. It's nice to see Brosnan in a Post-Bond role. Is there a release date yet?

Nothing definitive. They're shooting for a 2010 release and I've heard rumours they're planning to release it in November, but there's nothing confirmed yet.

#35 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

Who is the lead?
Ewan or Pierce?
Not familiar with the book? What is it an action thriller or a policital movie?
Does much blow up?

#36 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:43 PM

Does Pierce play the ghost of James Bonds past

#37 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:42 AM

Who is the lead?
Ewan or Pierce?
Does much blow up?

Ewan is technically the lead. The unnamed ghost writer is the protagonist of the piece. It's a political thriller/mystery, I suppose you could say.

From Publisher's Weekly:
Spoiler

There's no real big spoilers there but I figure I'd put it there anyway, for those who want as many secrets/surprises as possible.

Positively fantastic book. One of the best I've read this year. Highly recommend it.

#38 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

Who is the lead?
Ewan or Pierce?
Does much blow up?

Ewan is technically the lead. The unnamed ghost writer is the protagonist of the piece. It's a political thriller/mystery, I suppose you could say.

From Publisher's Weekly:
Spoiler

There's no real big spoilers there but I figure I'd put it there anyway, for those who want as many secrets/surprises as possible.

Positively fantastic book. One of the best I've read this year. Highly recommend it.

Amen to that, brillaint book!

#39 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

For years, I've wanted to see Roman Polanski do a movie version of Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Back in the early 90's I envisioned it as Patrick Stewart as Merlin, Timothy Dalton as King Arthur and Bill Murray (possibly Steve Martin), as the Connecticut Yankee.

I think if it were Dennis Miller, the audience would be too eager to see the Yankee die.

Now that was one funny, but dark book.

#40 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

Polanski's past catches up with him. I take it all work has finished on The Ghost?

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/8277176.stm

#41 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

Well at least now we know why they were filming in Germany instead of London and New England.

#42 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

Oh, boy, that is really ridiculous - the Swiss arrest him and want to bring him back to the US?

#43 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:07 PM

Why is it ridiculous? Polanski has been a fugitive from justice for many years. Why should he not be arrested?

#44 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

Oh, boy, that is really ridiculous - the Swiss arrest him and want to bring him back to the US?

Just because a fugitive leaves a country doesn't mean the charges are dropped. Had he faced the music 31 years ago, he would have been out of jail and free now.

#45 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

France's culture minister is reportedly upset and "dumbfounded" by Polanski's arrest, issuing a statement expressing "regret that a new ordeal is being inflicted on someone who has already experienced so many of them". President Nicolas Sarkozy "is following the case with great attention and shares the minister's hope that the situation can be quickly resolved".

http://www.cbc.ca/ar...witzerland.html

In addition, something called the Swiss Directors Association has slammed Polanski's arrest as "not only a grotesque farce of justice, but also an immense cultural scandal".

http://online.wsj.co...MIDDLTopStories

One law for the rich and "artistic", another for the poor?

#46 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

Just because a fugitive leaves a country doesn't mean the charges are dropped. Had he faced the music 31 years ago, he would have been out of jail and free now.

Not necessarily. The judge on the case wanted to send Polanski to jail for up to fifty years.

It seems most people don't actually know the details of Polanski's case and departure, and just make a knee-jerk reaction based on hearing that he had sex with a minor and that he's currently under the legal status of fugitive. I recommend people read this article to get a sense of Polanski's side of the story:

The Curious Case of Roman Polanski

#47 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Some might say that fifty years in prison for the rape and sodomy of a thirteen-year-old would be.... fair enough.

Anyway, whether the judge acted inappropriately is irrelevant. That Polanski's victim has called for the charges to be dropped is also irrelevant.

Why should people have any sympathy for this man? I'm not calling for his castration or for him to be locked up for the rest of his life (although I'd understand people doing so), but at the same time neither do I think he should be given a pass because he directed KNIFE IN THE WATER, CHINATOWN and a couple of other decent films. And that members of the great and the good of the European cultural establishment seem to feel he's some kind of political prisoner, a sort of Aung San Suu Kyi with a director's megaphone, is utterly nauseating. There are better causes to support than this pseudo-intellectual poltroon of a man.

#48 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

I agree. Just because the man's directed some films that several people apparently enjoy (I wouldn't know, I've never seen a single Polanski film) or just because he was married to Sharon Tate at the time of that awful incident is no reason to let the bastard off. I could care less if she was thirteen or thirty. If he genuinely raped a woman, there damn well better be retribution, and honestly even that judge who, admittedly, acted immensely inappropriately would be far better handlers of this case than I. The French president, Swiss folks, etc calling for these charges to be dropped is...moronic, to put it in terms this board would allow. Now, if the sex was consensual, that's a different matter, and then we run into murky waters I'm not going to tackle. But, not knowing every last little detail about this case, if it was indeed rape, lock him up, if that's what the justice system wants. If it were up to me, I would see to it he was given the Le Chiffre treatment. And no, for the record, that's not me trying to be some sort of "internet white knight" or whatever. I have personal reasons for often being rather cruel towards rapists, and no, it's not because I was raped either, because I haven't been.

#49 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Some might say that fifty years in prison for the rape and sodomy of a thirteen-year-old would be.... fair enough.

Anyway, whether the judge acted inappropriately is irrelevant. That Polanski's victim has called for the charges to be dropped is also irrelevant.

Why should people have any sympathy for this man? I'm not calling for his castration or for him to be locked up for the rest of his life (although I'd understand people doing so), but at the same time neither do I think he should be given a pass because he directed KNIFE IN THE WATER, CHINATOWN and a couple of other decent films. And that members of the great and the good of the European cultural establishment seem to feel he's some kind of political prisoner, a sort of Aung San Suu Kyi with a director's megaphone, is utterly nauseating. There are better causes to support than this pseudo-intellectual poltroon of a man.

I will never respect your opinions again.

#50 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

Ouch - 50 years seems a bit harsh. I never realised there was a plea-bargain etc. and that it was basically down to the judge going back on the deal.

So I assume Polanski is being hauled back to serve his 50 or are there some processes still to be gone through?

#51 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

I will never respect your opinions again.

I'm sure Loomis could care less whether you respect his opinions or not. CBn is a forum where many people are allowed to share their opinions. Acting like a baby because you think Polanski isn't a pedophile is your prerogative.

Ouch - 50 years seems a bit harsh. I never realised there was a plea-bargain etc. and that it was basically down to the judge going back on the deal.

So I assume Polanski is being hauled back to serve his 50 or are there some processes still to be gone through?

He's not going to serve 50 years unless they add on charges for fleeing the country, which could be likely but I'm no expert.

#52 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

Well said, Righty. B)

To say that someone's opinion shouldn't be respected because that someone thinks that that a person that pleaded guilty to a crime should pay his debt to society is way over the top.

#53 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

I agree. Just because the man's directed some films that several people apparently enjoy (I wouldn't know, I've never seen a single Polanski film) or just because he was married to Sharon Tate at the time of that awful incident is no reason to let the bastard off. I could care less if she was thirteen or thirty. If he genuinely raped a woman, there damn well better be retribution, and honestly even that judge who, admittedly, acted immensely inappropriately would be far better handlers of this case than I. The French president, Swiss folks, etc calling for these charges to be dropped is...moronic, to put it in terms this board would allow. Now, if the sex was consensual, that's a different matter, and then we run into murky waters I'm not going to tackle. But, not knowing every last little detail about this case, if it was indeed rape, lock him up, if that's what the justice system wants. If it were up to me, I would see to it he was given the Le Chiffre treatment. And no, for the record, that's not me trying to be some sort of "internet white knight" or whatever. I have personal reasons for often being rather cruel towards rapists, and no, it's not because I was raped either, because I haven't been.

In all fairness (and I'm not condoning Polanski's actions) we're talking about statutory rape (because the girl was under age); just abouty everyone close to the case (including the victim) acknowledges there was a certain amount of entrpament involved in the whole incident; Again, I'm not condoning Polanski's actions, but to see it as a black & white 'rape' is to misunderstand the events.
I strongly recommend the documentary "Wanted & Desired" for a detailed review of the whole thing...

#54 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:19 PM

In all fairness (and I'm not condoning Polanski's actions) we're talking about statutory rape (because the girl was under age); just abouty everyone close to the case (including the victim) acknowledges there was a certain amount of entrpament involved in the whole incident; Again, I'm not condoning Polanski's actions, but to see it as a black & white 'rape' is to misunderstand the events.
I strongly recommend the documentary "Wanted & Desired" for a detailed review of the whole thing...

Yes, well like I said, I don't have all the details of the case, so just going off of "he raped a 13-year-old girl" whether she wants it dismissed or not, it's enough for me to want to use a carpet beater on the fellow. Which is actually considerably lighter than past reactions. But it's a moot point. I've no say in the case, nor do I know all of what's happened in it, so therefore I'm not quite fit, or really able to, judge.

#55 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:21 PM

Well said, Righty. B)

To say that someone's opinion shouldn't be respected because that someone thinks that that a person that pleaded guilty to a crime should pay his debt to society is way over the top.

Read this, then:

http://www.chud.com/...NSKI/Page1.html

#56 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:24 PM

Well said, Righty. B)

Read this, then:

That's beside the point. The personal attack on Loomis just because he doesn't feel the same way as others regarding this matter is what was uncalled for.

#57 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:24 PM

Well said, Righty. B)

Read this, then:

Harmsway already gave a link to that article.

How about this one?

http://www.wnd.com/i...hp?pageId=17027

#58 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

I thought he drugged Samantha Geimer. And in a 2003 interview she explained: "I said, like, 'No, no. I don't want to go in there. No, I don't want to do this. No,' and then I didn't know what else to do.

"We were alone, and I didn't know what else would happen if I made a scene. So I was just scared, and after giving some resistance, I figured well, I guess I'll get to come home after this."

She was drugged, did not give consent and tried to resist (and let's not forget we're talking about a 13-year-old female and a man in his forties, and a wealthy and powerful man as well). How, then, is this not rape but "only" statutory rape?

#59 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

Well said, Righty. B)

Read this, then:

Harmsway already gave a link to that article.

How about this one?

http://www.wnd.com/i...hp?pageId=17027

Loomis; c'mon, WND? hardly the most balanced viepoint...at best conservative and in the case of their op-ed pieces (like the one you linked to) right-wing bible bashing....

I thought he drugged Samantha Geimer. And in a 2003 interview she explained: "I said, like, 'No, no. I don't want to go in there. No, I don't want to do this. No,' and then I didn't know what else to do.

"We were alone, and I didn't know what else would happen if I made a scene. So I was just scared, and after giving some resistance, I figured well, I guess I'll get to come home after this."

She was drugged, did not give consent and tried to resist (and let's not forget we're talking about a 13-year-old female and a man in his forties, and a wealthy and powerful man as well). How, then, is this not rape but "only" statutory rape?

Over the years her story has changed A LOT....Most recent interview suggest that it was her mother's idea to get them together and that she certainly gave Polanski the impression of consenting...
again, I'm not condoning the actions, but I do not beleive for one minute it's as black and white as people like to make out.

#60 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

Loomis; c'mon, WND? hardly the most balanced viepoint...at best conservative and in the case of their op-ed pieces (like the one you linked to) right-wing bible bashing....

Really? As a Brit, I don't know, to be honest. B) But that isn't to say that conservatives and Bible-thumpers are necessarily always wrong, or indeed that the pro-Polanski camp doesn't go in for propaganda of its own.