This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer (2010)

394 replies to this topic

#331 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

Looks very promising, and Brozzer looks on good form. be nice to see Roman make a classy thriler again.

#332 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

Reading The Ghost right now. Quite an eerie feeling seeing Blair in front of the Iraq Inquiry (they actually have a logo it would seem!).

#333 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

This film looks interesting... very Polanski.

#334 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Outstanding! This film looks good! And Pierce is right for the role, I believe.

#335 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:22 AM

Official green band trailer is up, and I'm in: http://www.trailerad...feature-trailer

#336 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:34 AM

The book is truly a great thriller, quite fascinating! If you've read it, then last week's Blair statement in front of the Iran Inquiry becomes even more eerie. I must say the film (always judging from the trailer parts of course) looks every little bit like what I imagined when reading the book. Very good and not a little feat, considering Sylt had to stand in for Martha's Vinyard. I feel McGregor is a definite improvement over Cage, whom I don't really see as the protagonist. On the other hand, I would have loved Tilda Swinton as Lang's wife Ruth, if only to see if she'd have worked. But I also think Olivia Williams is perfect for her part.

I'm truly excited about the film, can't wait to see it!

#337 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
Former James Bond star has starring role in Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer

#338 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:51 AM

I actually live near the Vinyard! Very cool to know. Ferry is 30 mins away and trip is roughly to the island is roughly the same length.

#339 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

I actually live near the Vinyard! Very cool to know. Ferry is 30 mins away and trip is roughly to the island is roughly the same length.

Well, as I said, the German island Sylt had to stand in for Martha's Vineyard. From what the trailer shows (and probably throughout the entire film) the location was shot quite cleverly to avoid most of the differences between the two (which I understand to be mostly in the architecture). Part of the plot uses New England landscapes around Martha's Vineyard and Boston, but these also can be made up here in Europe, as the difference is not so terribly large as to be unbridgeable. Just don't expect to see actual locations from your neighbourhood. But you will be the perfect source to judge how well they did in dressing up their location.

#340 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

What's the loaction in 0:43 and 0:48? It looks like a lunar terrain!

#341 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

Dunes on the seaside of Sylt. But I gather you can find similar ones on Martha's Vinyard.

#342 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

Dunes on the seaside of Sylt. But I gather you can find similar ones on Martha's Vinyard.

In New England? Don't think so!

#343 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Really? I think this looks not so much different from this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#344 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:54 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Really? I think this looks not so much different from this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It seems I misunderstood your first quote! When you said "But I gather you can find similar ones on Martha's Vinyard" I thought that you were confused by the name of the location "Martha's" and thought that it was in Greece. By the words "you can find" I thought you meant I can see it for myself in real life. That's why I answered that way! Anyway, sometimes my mind becomes really complicated! B)

And for the record "Martha's Vineyard" does look a lot similar with the island of Sylt!

#345 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

It seems I misunderstood your first quote! When you said "But I gather you can find similar ones on Martha's Vinyard" I thought that you were confused by the name of the location "Martha's" and thought that it was in Greece. By the words "you can find" I thought you meant I can see it for myself in real life. That's why I answered that way! Anyway, sometimes my mind becomes really complicated! B)

And for the record "Martha's Vineyard" does look a lot similar with the island of Sylt!

Lol, never mind, could well have happened to me too.

I think the location scouts for this production did quite a job, although locals and visitors of Martha's Vineyard may be a bit disappointed not to find the exact sites used. Still, judging from the snippets so far, it looks rather convincing.

#346 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:20 AM

Did anyone see the film yet? I´m very much looking forward to it, hopefully this weekend.

#347 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

Did anyone see the film yet? I´m very much looking forward to it, hopefully this weekend.

The film is picking up very good reviews already.

#348 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

It's out? Cor blimey, why haven't I heard anything about this? Screw Wolfman, I'm going to The Ghost this weekend, even if it turns out like Creation and I have to road trip to North Jersey to see it.

#349 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

Here is a short interview with Brosnan about Polanski and the movie

Polanski's Ghost

#350 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

Saw it Friday-a very good political thriller!

#351 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

Polanski was awarded Best Director at the Berlin Film Festival!

#352 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

Is it out? Wow! I'm looking forward to it!

#353 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

No frothing at the mouth from CBn's 'hang 'em high' lobby? I'm disappointed.

At this rate we may have to judge The Ghost Writer on its own merits.

#354 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

It is, of course, perfectly possible (and also, I would argue, desirable) to separate the art and the artist. Even for some of us dummies on CBn!

I have the highest regard for Polanski as a filmmaker. He is surely one of the greatest living directors (albeit that his best work would seem to be in the rather distant past).

I love BITTER MOON, CHINATOWN, ROSEMARY'S BABY and THE TENANT and look forward to his take on Tony Blair. When he's on form, ol' Roman is terrific.

I love the way his films build slow-burning intrigue. His visual eye is unique and impressive, but never showy. Visually and emotionally, he somehow puts the viewer "right there" within the film. As you say of Von Trier, his work is for adults. I adore his black humour. He's a real artist.

There are still some highly-acclaimed Polanskis I've yet to see, such as REPULSION and THE PIANIST, but hopefully the DVDs will be landing on my doormat before too long. However, the one Polanski I most want to watch, DEATH AND THE MAIDEN, unfortunately seems unavailable on DVD in Britain. B)

#355 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

It is, of course, perfectly possible (and also, I would argue, desirable) to separate the art and the artist. Even for some of us dummies on CBn!

Yes, I realize I am doing most of the frothing at the mouth today.

I have the highest regard for Polanski as a filmmaker. [snip] As you say of Von Trier, his work is for adults. I adore his black humour. He's a real artist

I cannot agree with you more. Polanski is a rarity - a director whose life is as interesting as his films. I'm sure he wishes it was otherwise.

That said, Death and the Maiden is one of Polanski's lesser works, though Sigourney Weaver drops her knickers. Perhaps they should have mentioned that on the quads - I'm sure it would have resulted in higher attendances.

#356 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

That said, Death and the Maiden is one of Polanski's lesser works

Well, with respect, that doesn't put me off. "They" say the same thing about BITTER MOON, although perhaps I'm practically alone in liking that one. As far as I'm concerned, it's not the self-indulgent, semi-pørnographic, self-parodic and utterly laughable turkey it's often painted as - it's a stonking success (and just as much of a visual treat as, say, CHINATOWN). But what do I know?

#357 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

That said, Death and the Maiden is one of Polanski's lesser works

Well, with respect, that doesn't put me off. "They" say the same thing about BITTER MOON, although perhaps I'm practically alone in liking that one.

The problem with Death and the Maiden stems more from its stage origins, I think; not many plays survive the transition to film, possibly because the stage tends to rely more on dialogue than visuals.

#358 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

I have Death and the Maiden on PAL VHS, although I haven't watched it yet. I had no idea the film was a bit or a rarity.

Are there any plans for The Ghost Writer to go into full release in the US, or are they going to expand it on the basis of how well it performs in limited release? And does anyone have any idea if the UK release next month will also be a limited release?

#359 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Are there any plans for The Ghost Writer to go into full release in the US, or are they going to expand it on the basis of how well it performs in limited release? And does anyone have any idea if the UK release next month will also be a limited release?

Last I heard it was LA and NY opened the 19th, goes to the other major cities on the 26th, and pending how well it performs it'll go national in March. As to the UK, website says April 16, so I imagine that means anything for March is limited.

#360 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

I saw this tonight. It is pretty solid late period Polanski. Good casting all around. WItty and snappy dialogue. Good adult intrigue. There are some interesting thematic and visual nods to CHINATOWN and THE TENANT even.

As for Brosnan, he is perfectly cast and yet his overall performance is somewhat fair to middling. I just don't believe him all of the time. I can feel him acting. It is particularly evident in scenes where he is interacting with more than one actor as the rest of cast is so solid and grounded.

Interesting enough and to further the above thought, I found Kim Catrall to be very good in this picture. I have never given her much consideration as an actor. She actually might make for a good villain or a henchwoman in Bond 23 ala YOLT's Karin Dor. Something to ponder.

Overall, I do recommend seeing this film. While it does not completely add up satisfyingly, it is certainly stylish and a much finer thriller than a lot of recent thriller fare including Martin Campbell's bland EDGE OF DARKNESS.

Edited by Solex Agitator, 23 February 2010 - 10:40 AM.