This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer (2010)

394 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:19 AM

Pierce Brosnan cast in Roman Polanski's 'The Ghost'

MTV reports that Pierce Brosnan and Nicolas Cage will star in director Roman Polanski's political thriller The Ghost.

The film, based on Robert Harris' novel of the same name, centers on a ghostwriter who is hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister. He uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy.

Brosnan would play the prime minister, Adam Lang, and Cage the ghostwriter.

Most of the story takes place in an oceanfront house during the middle of winter.

Robert Benmussa and Alain Sarde will produce the film, slated to begin shooting in Europe next fall.

http://commanderbond...n...&item=47597 - Coming Soon

#2 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:38 AM

I never thought i would ever see these two play in the same movie. lol

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:00 AM

This sounds alright but I want to see The Topkapi Affair not a stupid ABBA musical or a movie with Nicholas Cage.

#4 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:03 AM

This could be good. At last, Brosnan maybe allowed to develope a good character here. :tup:

Just hope the script works for him. :tup:

#5 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:33 AM

I'm intrigued. This is more prestigious than the past few films Brozzy's done.

#6 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:59 AM

This sounds alright but I want to see The Topkapi Affair not a stupid ABBA musical or a movie with Nicholas Cage.

Well, Cage did star in a great film co-starring a certain other former Bond. :tup:

#7 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:33 AM

Oh! I'm excited!

#8 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:13 AM

Just reading the description of the plot put me to sleep :tup:

However, fair's fair, and working with Polanski is certainly a step up from Vanilla Gorilla. No doubt dodge will be in here soon to tell us how this means Broz is kicking Connery's butt, or something :tup:

#9 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

More prestigious than even Mama Mia?

:tup:

Seriously, this could play to Brosnan's strengths.

#10 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

I can't wait for this. My favourite horrors/ghost stories are japanese, I think Polanski will do it justice.

Er...did you read the plot description?

#11 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:57 PM

Robert Harris is a terrific novelist.
The Ghost is on my list but I can just imagine Pierce Brosnan as a Blair-esque PM.
Incidently, the piece that convinced me that Dan Craig would make an excellent Bond was the TV movie adaptation of the Robert Harris novel, Archangel (a sort of Boys-From-Brazil with Stalin replacing Hitler).
Imagine casting Timothy Dalton opposite Brosnan - that would be great!

#12 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

Robert Harris is a terrific novelist.
The Ghost is on my list but I can just imagine Pierce Brosnan as a Blair-esque PM.
Incidently, the piece that convinced me that Dan Craig would make an excellent Bond was the TV movie adaptation of the Robert Harris novel, Archangel (a sort of Boys-From-Brazil with Stalin replacing Hitler).
Imagine casting Timothy Dalton opposite Brosnan - that would be great!

What - with Dalton as Stalin and Brosnan in the Daniel Craig role? :tup:

Sorry - its summer. Am trying to ween myself off the Bond stuff. Should be playing cricket.

But seriously. Good for you, Brozza. You show those fair-weather, doubting so-called Bond fans they were wrong. Hope this comes off.

#13 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:33 PM

I'm up for a remake of The Wild Geese

RSM: That was LUDICROUS, sir. You're jumping from an aeroplane, not a whorehouse window. Do it again.

Faulkner: There is a clause in all of my contracts, that my liver is to be buried separately, and, with honors.

TIMOTHY DALTON as Col. Allen Faulkner
PIERCE BROSNAN as Shawn Flynn
DANIEL CRAIG as Lt. Pieter Coetze
CLIVE OWEN as Capt. Rafer Janders
CHIWETEL EJIOFOR as Julius Limbani
FAMKE JANSSEN as Dr Erna Damen
DAVID WALLIAMS as Sir Mark Roofer
JEFFREY WRIGHT as President Mkabe

and

ROGER MOORE as Lord Matherson

THE WILD GEESE

Oil rich, African nation, Rhodabwe, is being crippled by President Mkabwe, who is subverting the election and is about to execute the favoured candidate, Julium Limbani. Sir Mark Roofer, the son of an ex-British PM arranges through a go-between, Lord Matherson, a crack team of mercenaries to kill President Mkabe, install Limbani and sign up exclusive oil mining contracts. However, the reckless killing spree of the team codenamed, The Wild Geese, involves them with UN peace worker, Dr Erna Damen who convinces the team to lend a hand to the humanitarian effort wherein they discover the true price of "democrasy" and "freedom" is paid for not by oil but in blood.

#14 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

:tup: :tup:

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Craig and Dalton in a film together.

Maybe Dalton could play Craig's dad, or something?

#15 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:44 PM

Splendid news! So, despite some unfortunate setbacks, there's still hope for the Post-Bond Broz to kick the Post-Bond Big Tam's Butt! Go, Broz!

#16 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

:tup: :tup:

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Craig and Dalton in a film together.

Maybe Dalton could play Craig's dad, or something?

now that would be asome to see!

#17 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:03 AM

I'm up for a remake of The Wild Geese

RSM: That was LUDICROUS, sir. You're jumping from an aeroplane, not a whorehouse window. Do it again.

Faulkner: There is a clause in all of my contracts, that my liver is to be buried separately, and, with honors.

TIMOTHY DALTON as Col. Allen Faulkner
PIERCE BROSNAN as Shawn Flynn
DANIEL CRAIG as Lt. Pieter Coetze
CLIVE OWEN as Capt. Rafer Janders
CHIWETEL EJIOFOR as Julius Limbani
FAMKE JANSSEN as Dr Erna Damen
DAVID WALLIAMS as Sir Mark Roofer
JEFFREY WRIGHT as President Mkabe

and

ROGER MOORE as Lord Matherson

THE WILD GEESE

Oil rich, African nation, Rhodabwe, is being crippled by President Mkabwe, who is subverting the election and is about to execute the favoured candidate, Julium Limbani. Sir Mark Roofer, the son of an ex-British PM arranges through a go-between, Lord Matherson, a crack team of mercenaries to kill President Mkabe, install Limbani and sign up exclusive oil mining contracts. However, the reckless killing spree of the team codenamed, The Wild Geese, involves them with UN peace worker, Dr Erna Damen who convinces the team to lend a hand to the humanitarian effort wherein they discover the true price of "democrasy" and "freedom" is paid for not by oil but in blood.

I'd see that film.

#18 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:43 AM

Absolutely.

Though every time a new film of Brosnan's is announced, I lose a little more hope that The Topkapi Affair will ever see the light of day (if you'll excuse the pun).

#19 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:14 AM

Absolutely.

Though every time a new film of Brosnan's is announced, I lose a little more hope that The Topkapi Affair will ever see the light of day (if you'll excuse the pun).

LOL.

(excused!)

#20 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

However, fair's fair, and working with Polanski is certainly a step up from Vanilla Gorilla. No doubt dodge will be in here soon to tell us how this means Broz is kicking Connery's butt, or something :tup:

LOL, of course! :tup:

#21 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:49 AM

Agreed. I really like the sound of this. I love Polanski, and Brosnan as a British PM sounds intriguing; I think he could really pull that off.

#22 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Just reading the description of the plot put me to sleep :(

Dino, it will come to pass. And Caitlin will win further kudos. And VG still sounds better than half the stuff Big Tam made after Bond. (Family Business? Medicine Man? Just Cause? The Avengers?)

Nevertheless, I'm still forced to admit: Both Brozza and Ghost had best be rrrrrrrreally good if Brozza's to survive Mamma Mia. :tup:

#23 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

Interesting casting as a presentable but vain and insubstantial character of overstated abilities.

Quite a stretch.

#24 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

My one, growing, concern here is that Polanski's not exactly known for doing the sort of hit Brozza could dearly use. Along with all the drama and the fancy camera work, I hope RP won't forget to throw in at least a couple of Magic Movie Moments.

#25 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

I guess nobody expects a blockbuster from Polanski. For Brosnan this could be the ticket to respectable award-baiting roles.

And make no mistake - even if men or boys hate musicals and "Mamma Mia" in particular, that film was the best career move Brosnan could make after being ousted as Bond. Like it or not - "Mamma Mia" is a huge summer hit and put Brosnan back on the map of the studios. If it had tanked, "Topkapi Affair" would probably have been canceled.

By the way, I guess Connery had a pretty good career after Bond. He starred in many great pictures, working with prestigious directors such as Richard Lester and Sidney Lumet. Granted, he chose some bad roles, especially after his great turn in "The Untouchables". But tell me, what actor (or director) has only great movies on his/her resume? It´s not an exact science, this movie-making. Some turn out better, some don´t. There are just too many factors at work here.

#26 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

I guess nobody expects a blockbuster from Polanski. For Brosnan this could be the ticket to respectable award-baiting roles.

And make no mistake - even if men or boys hate musicals and "Mamma Mia" in particular, that film was the best career move Brosnan could make after being ousted as Bond. Like it or not - "Mamma Mia" is a huge summer hit and put Brosnan back on the map of the studios. If it had tanked, "Topkapi Affair" would probably have been canceled.

By the way, I guess Connery had a pretty good career after Bond. He starred in many great pictures, working with prestigious directors such as Richard Lester and Sidney Lumet. Granted, he chose some bad roles, especially after his great turn in "The Untouchables". But tell me, what actor (or director) has only great movies on his/her resume? It´s not an exact science, this movie-making. Some turn out better, some don´t. There are just too many factors at work here.

Wise words. And thanks for the needed perspective. There may be a One-Two at play here, with luck, as you point out. And if The Ghost succeeds in getting Brozza accepted as an actor, with real chops--which I believe he does have--then who could ask for more, regardless of the B.O. take?

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:36 AM

Teaser trailer released...

http://www.movieweb..../NEsOcswtctsMvA

#28 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:09 AM

Teaser trailer released...

http://www.movieweb..../NEsOcswtctsMvA

Incredibly short, even for a teaser, but man that's good stuff. Probably would confuse the hell out of anyone who isn't at least familiar with what the book is about, even if they haven't read it, though.

#29 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

This film rocks! I think I got the feeling of it only from this tiny footage! I also think that Ewan McGregor will do a far better job than Cage! It seems that Brosnan is suitable for the part!

Sorry about that Qwerty! This works better for me! B)

#30 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

I cant wait for this, although I think Ewan (we are on first name terms) is not like the man I had in my head when I read the book. Bloody good book by the way!