80 replies to this topic

#61 Invincible1958

Invincible1958

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

I'm getting this strange feeling that neither Beyonce nor Winehouse will end up doing the theme...

Why 'strange' feeling?
In the past the actual artist wasn't mentioned by the tabloids before the official press release.
So it would be a big surprise if any of the yellow press-artists (Winehouse, Beyonce, Adele, Vile Valo, Leona Lewis etc.) will get the job.
Remember: there were hundreds of rumours in 2005 and 2006. But Chris Cornell wasn't one of them, until the week he was officially announced. It's the same thing with every new Bond film.

#62 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

No Beyonce! :tup: I'm sure she's very nice but she's just not my idea of a Bond singer. I'm on the fence about Winehouse because though she's got the voice, I'm worried about the tone of the song because I'd read she used an acoustic guitar for the demo, which I know doesn't automatically mean ballad, but. . . The theme song doesn't necessarily have to be a guy nor a rock song per se, it should have power to it (though not of the bootylicious variety either, thanks.). What I really don't want is some ballad sort of song sapping the strength of the movie at the onset. I would gladly take another male singer over these choices right now.

We'll see what happens. At first I wasn't sure about YKMN, but it grew on me the second time I saw CR. YKMN is one of my favourite songs.

I know I should have something better to do with my time than worry about the new Bond theme, but I uhhhh. . . I guess I don't. :tup:

#63 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

I'm getting this strange feeling that neither Beyonce nor Winehouse will end up doing the theme...

Why 'strange' feeling?

Wild stab, common sense?

In the past the actual artist wasn't mentioned by the tabloids before the official press release.
So it would be a big surprise if any of the yellow press-artists (Winehouse, Beyonce, Adele, Vile Valo, Leona Lewis etc.) will get the job.
Remember: there were hundreds of rumours in 2005 and 2006. But Chris Cornell wasn't one of them, until the week he was officially announced. It's the same thing with every new Bond film.

Yes, but this time, the tabloids have guessed - and I stress the word, though to me it was more brow-beating as if they could decide who does it - one person who has submitted a demo tape, and a lot of people have take that as meaning they're right.

EDIT: As for Knowles, I'd say I'd prefer her over Winehouse. But only just.

Edited by Captain Tightpants, 27 May 2008 - 10:57 AM.

#64 HellIsHere

HellIsHere

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

ome media were saying that John Barry might return to the series, anyone?

According to reports, Beyonce is being lined up to sing the signature number in the upcoming 'James Bond: Quantum of Solace' movie. Should the deal go through, the 26 year old will be collaborating with writer Amanda Ghost as well as legendary composer John Barry.

#65 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

Wait a second, isn't she unfit. You do know, that she is married to a former drug dealer.

#66 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:55 PM

If Beyonce doesn't get the gig, I am quite happy to bond with her...

:tup:

#67 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:45 AM

Wait a second, isn't she unfit. You do know, that she is married to a former drug dealer.

Last time we had a pop artist perform a title song, it was Die Another Day, so you'll forgive me if I'm a little averse to it.

#68 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:14 AM

Meh. Beyonce has never impressed me vocally. Both Pop and R&B have become too homogenized for their own good, to the point that the only way to tell different vocalists apart is by the song, not by the sound or quality of voice, all of which have become corralled into sounding the same as one another. Lou Rawls always sounded like Lou Rawls. Queen Latifah's singing voice can be identified because it has a more mellow, jazzy quality than other R&B ladies. Macy Gray can't be confused with any other voice. Beyonce I couldn't tell apart vocally from anybody else... and I don't think that's just me.

Fortunately, I don't believe that it's true, on account of the John Barry mention (invoking past Bond series names removes credibility right off the bat).

Also seems to me like a very safe choice. As much as I shake my head at her life choices, I think I would've preferred Winehouse based on sound alone.

Dave

#69 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

This story was reported in yesterday's Mx magazine in Sydney. It basically claimed that Winehouse had been dropped, even though she had turned in a song to the studios and that Beyonce was being lined up to take her place.

From where do these stories originate?

#70 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:37 AM

Beyonce is boring. She offers nothing.

#71 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:43 AM

From where do these stories originate?

Contactmusic.com. :tup:

Trying to guess who will sing the theme to a Bond film has always been the one topic that seems to have the most rumored names with few if any attached even being close. I sometimes hesitate until I see the film before accepting just who it's going to be.

#72 HellIsHere

HellIsHere

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:44 PM

... But John Barry composing the song would be a wet dream :tup:

#73 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:34 AM

I like Beyonce to a certain point but I don't know about her doing the Bond theme....Nah.

#74 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:58 PM

I"ve said it once, i'll say it twice:

1) Leona Lewis or
2) Duffy

#75 Scamp

Scamp

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:03 PM

I agree Mr finger, you talk good sense! The tenuous like with Beyance is probably based on the fact that she starred in a music video with her now husband Jayz and an Aston martin vanquish features HEAVILY in the video! Which, on the face of it, is as good a link as any! :tup:

#76 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:15 AM

I don't think she would be a good choice to do any James Bond theme songs, just like these singers are not a good choice,
Justin Timberlake
Britney Spears
Mary J. Blige
Tommy Lee
Kid Rock
Michael Jackson
Eminem
Sean Combs
TLC

I would like to see these singers do more then one James Bond theme song,
Phil Collins
Celine Dion
Mariah Carey
The Cranberries
They would be great at it I think, and these these singers should return another James Bond theme song again,
Paul McCartney
Sheena Easton
Carly Simon

These singers might be good choices to do a James Bond Theme song, but not sure are they really. They are very good singers, just can they do a do a good James Bond Theme song or this area is not for them.
Andrea Bocelli
Jennifer Lopez
Vanessa Williams
Sting
Eric Claption
Whinety Houston
Harry Connick Jr.
Bruce Springsteen
Bon Jovi
Rod Stewart
The Whos

#77 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:38 AM

I like Beyonce to a certain point but I don't know about her doing the Bond theme....Nah.

What's wrong with Beyonce Knowles singing a Bond theme song? She has the right qualification to do the job . . . she's a singer. Period. There has never been one particular style for all of the Bond songs over the past 46 years. I don't see what the fuss is about or how anyone can claim that only certain singers can perform a Bond theme song.

Edited by DR76, 11 June 2008 - 02:39 AM.

#78 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:02 AM

I don't think she would be a good choice to do any James Bond theme songs, just like these singers are not a good choice,
Justin Timberlake
Britney Spears
Mary J. Blige
Tommy Lee
Kid Rock
Michael Jackson
Eminem
Sean Combs
TLC

Phil Collins
Celine Dion
Mariah Carey
The Cranberries
They would be great at it I think, and these these singers should return another James Bond theme song again,
Paul McCartney
Sheena Easton
Carly Simon

These singers might be good choices to do a James Bond Theme song, but not sure are they really. They are very good singers, just can they do a do a good James Bond Theme song or this area is not for them.
Andrea Bocelli
Jennifer Lopez
Vanessa Williams
Sting
Eric Claption
Whinety Houston
Harry Connick Jr.
Bruce Springsteen
Bon Jovi
Rod Stewart
The Whos

The Who perfect choice

I love Eric Clapton

As long as it has a great rock guitar riff i'm happy :tup:

#79 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:35 AM

The Who perfect choice

I love Eric Clapton

As long as it has a great rock guitar riff i'm happy :tup:

I definitely wouldn't mind having Clapton take a turn at a Bond title track. He's always been one of my favorite musicians and has always been one musician that I'd like to see write a Bond title song.

As for the topic of the thread, I'm sure that Beyonce could do a good job on a title track, although there are several artists that I'd rather see get the job. I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago, but I'd really like to see Maroon 5 and Rihanna team up again and do a Bond title track together. Their song "If I Never See Your Face Again" is fantastic, and I think that it would be great to hear the two of them singing together in a Bond title song.

#80 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:23 AM

I just don't see what the fuss is. Most of the Bond songs are at best . . . mediocre. I've never even heard of Chris Cornell until CR. And I'm not rushing to buy anymore of his songs. Even the best of singers have done some pretty bad Bond theme songs - Lulu and Tina Turner, anyone?

I've heard Beyonce sing at the Oscars. She's got a pretty damn good voice. It's not the singers in today's R&B and Pop music that are mediocre. I think it's the songs.

#81 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:45 AM

Justin Timberlake
Britney Spears
Mary J. Blige
Tommy Lee
Kid Rock
Michael Jackson
Eminem
Sean Combs
TLC

Phil Collins
Celine Dion
Mariah Carey
The Cranberries
Paul McCartney
Sheena Easton
Carly Simon

Andrea Bocelli
Jennifer Lopez
Vanessa Williams
Sting
Eric Claption
Whinety Houston
Harry Connick Jr.
Bruce Springsteen
Bon Jovi
Rod Stewart
The Whos

Phil Collins is deaf. Partly from all the drumming he has done but partly from listening to his own music since 1990.

Carly Simon and Sheena Easton have been put out to pasture, I'm afraid and haven't troubled the charts since the late 80's.

Is it still the 1980s in San Francisco?

:tup: :tup: