80 replies to this topic

#31 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

I could live with Beyonce, though to be honest I was hoping for another male vocalist.

#32 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:32 PM

Hmm... Beyonce does have a great voice.. and I MUCH prefer her to Amy Winehouse. Still though I would love to have another male vocalist do the title..*cough, cough Seal, cough, cough* But I'd be happy with Mrs. Jay-Z herself..lol. Can't wait to see if this is true.. :tup:

#33 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:42 PM

I like the sound of Beyonce a whole lot more than Amy Whinehouse with assistance from the macho Petshop Bois.

#34 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:02 AM

The bit about Barry back makes the whole thing sound dodgy to me...

#35 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:02 AM

Uh, I'm pretty sure John Barry is having absolutely nothing to do with the film, so I'd say this is just people throwing names about to fill the Winehouse-shaped void and adding Barry's name to it in order to dispel any fears that what's-her-face (I refuse to spell her name on principle) will produce another Generic Pop Song.

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:42 AM

Never been a big fan of Beyonce, myself. Would rather they go for someone else.

#37 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:45 AM

I'm not putting stock in this one.

However if Phil Collins is metioned working with David arnold that i'd buy (and might enjoy)

#38 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

I guess I wouldn't mind it - although I'd prefer Winehouse. The Barry reference makes this all sound very dodgy (unless they are just getting their facts wrong and talking about D Arnold).

#39 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

However if Phil Collins is metioned working with David arnold that i'd buy (and might enjoy)

Please, are you serious, Phil Collins, I hope your joking, if not your views on music will not be taken seriously by me ever again, how old are you 45.

Collin's would be utterly awful, dreadful AOR garbage, why not Celine Dion or Dido while your at it.

I think the Barry mention is most likely rubbish but if it isn't maybe we could see another classic.

Maybe he's seen CR recently and been impressed with the direction it went in, I remember him saying how thought they'd just got to carried away with the OTT style and they were missing something since the early 60's.

Maybe he knows he's not got long and seeing the series has come back to a high standard he wants one last swansong, who know's but maybe.

I can live in hope can't I!

#40 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

Duffy was on TV yesterday night, and when asked if she 'd like to follow the Welsh tradition of Dame Shirley and sir Tom, she said it'd be a dream come true to do a Bond song. Now, considering all this fuss about Amy Winehouse and her inability to get involved now, Duffy's voice and style is similar enough, and maybe they could give her the song originally written with Winehouse in mind...

#41 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

Please, are you serious, Phil Collins, I hope your joking, if not your views on music will not be taken seriously by me ever again, how old are you 45.

Collin's would be utterly awful, dreadful AOR garbage, why not Celine Dion or Dido while your at it.

I think the Barry mention is most likely rubbish but if it isn't maybe we could see another classic.

Maybe he's seen CR recently and been impressed with the direction it went in, I remember him saying how thought they'd just got to carried away with the OTT style and they were missing something since the early 60's.

Maybe he knows he's not got long and seeing the series has come back to a high standard he wants one last swansong, who know's but maybe.

I can live in hope can't I!

I;m 21 I just hate most of hte garbage that is put out these days. I'm a huge Yes fan I also like Rush led Zepplin Pink Floyd and King Crimson.

The Collins thing was slight joke (he really hasn't done anything great since we can't dance and hey I like Domino it's up beat and fun proggy tune off of Invisible Touch)

Honestly I could see Circa (yes off shot consiting of Tony Kaye Bill Sherwood Alan White and Jimi Haun) or Yes doing the theme but then again I'm a yes fan.

Here is what i want for Quantum of solace

1. A Hard edged theme
2. an awesome guitar riff in said theme
3. preferbly a male vocalist

there that's it give me those 3 elements and i don't care if it's Sting Stone Temple Pilots or Rush.

I'm 21 i love classic rock and that's it.

#42 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

http://www.mirror.co...89520-20427588/

Amy apparently back on track for the Bond theme..Ronson too afraid to talk about as "Daniel Craig will whack me in the eyes"...watch this space.

#43 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

Duffy was on TV yesterday night, and when asked if she 'd like to follow the Welsh tradition of Dame Shirley and sir Tom, she said it'd be a dream come true to do a Bond song. Now, considering all this fuss about Amy Winehouse and her inability to get involved now, Duffy's voice and style is similar enough, and maybe they could give her the song originally written with Winehouse in mind...

Similar style? Both very much retro, yes.
Similar voice? You'b better have your ears checked...

#44 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

Sounding like this is 100% back on track (or maybe never was off track). I think Craig and some others have probably been pushing internally to give Winehouse a shot, and they probably already have heard the demo and like it.

The fact that we haven't heard any other credible names(the Beyonce/John Barry rumor sounds bogus to me, and I doubt Latino Review had any inside sources on that) lately means a lot.

In another month or so, the only options would be someone singing an Arnold-penned tune.

#45 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:20 AM

Craig has no influence over who performs the title theme.

#46 sark

sark

Lieutenant

• Enlisting
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

Really? How do you know that?
I know Babs has the final say, but I think that the star would have some influence.

#47 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

Similar style? Both very much retro, yes.
Similar voice? You'b better have your ears checked...

To quote myself : similar enough...
Nothing wrong with my ears... but thanks for your concern, anyway...

Edited by pgram, 25 May 2008 - 12:46 PM.

#48 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

I know Babs has the final say, but I think that the star would have some influence.

Very little. So little, in fact, that Ithink it would be almost negated. At best, Craig would be fourth in line behind Babs, Michael G and whoever is compsing the music for the film.

#49 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

Very little. So little, in fact, that Ithink it would be almost negated. At best, Craig would be fourth in line behind Babs, Michael G and whoever is compsing the music for the film.

Goodness. You really do have tight pants.

#50 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

Winehouse i hope is a false rumour. I dislike her voice her style and again this is a new bond era let's distance ourself from the Pop R and B songs the series has had since Connery Days.

BRING MORE ROCK THEMES!!!!!!!!!

oh and Captain i'm well aware that no one from eon will ever read this post nor does this have any influence on their decision however i'm mearl expressing my opnion.

#51 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:47 PM

Beyonce would do a good job, and her fame would certainly bring even more interest to the movie.

As for MHarkin's comments about Sheryl Crow and Chris Cornell being relatively unknown, I think we can let him off, since he was only 4 when they were selling millions of records worldwide!!

:tup:

#52 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:50 AM

http://www.mirror.co...89520-20427588/

Amy apparently back on track for the Bond theme..Ronson too afraid to talk about as "Daniel Craig will whack me in the eyes"...watch this space.

It's the news story that never ends.

#53 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:24 AM

I wonder what will happen when the singer is anounced and it turns out to be a male rock perfomer. what will the sun do? Will the winehouse rumour carry on to bond 23. I mean come on her rumours started right with rumours the Killers were doing the theme. now the killers would be interesting.

#54 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:00 AM

I wonder what will happen when the singer is anounced and it turns out to be a male rock perfomer. what will the sun do? Will the winehouse rumour carry on to bond 23. I mean come on her rumours started right with rumours the Killers were doing the theme. now the killers would be interesting.

To be honest, I wouldn't put it past them to claim they had been right all along and say they had always picked whichever artist gets it as the performer.

Edited by Captain Tightpants, 27 May 2008 - 05:01 AM.

#55 sark

sark

Lieutenant

• Enlisting
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:05 AM

The question wasn't what you know, rather how you "know" it.

#56 JackWade

JackWade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

I'm getting this strange feeling that neither Beyonce nor Winehouse will end up doing the theme...

#57 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

I think he has more influence over more aspects of the film than any other actor has had.

I was going to say this rumour was all rubbish, but considering the direct quotes I'm not so sure:

...She said: "I've written the song. If they like it they like it, if they don't they don't."

Mark added: "If I talk about it Daniel Craig will whack me in the eyes.

"Amy wrote the song on an acoustic guitar. It was my job to help with the arrangement and realise the sound that we were going for. So that was my role."

Mark was later seen drinking at the Audley pub in Mayfair with Lily Allen, who he calls "my favourite melodic songwriter of her generation". Oops, don't tell Amy.

I'd say there's still some life in this project. Rumours do sometimes come true and this is more than just a rumour.

#58 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

I think he has more influence over more aspects of the film than any other actor has had.

That might be true, but I think Craig is best described as an "interested party". While he has some stake and possibly some say in who gets the theme, I don't think he's got much and what little he does have could easily be negated by those above him. At best, Babs, Michael G and David Arnold are the only ones that come before him - the former for obvious reasons, the latter because the composer needs someone he feels he can work with - but I would be surprised if Sony executives had more pulling power than Craig because they'd own the rights, and Marc Forster. Forster would certainly have more influence than any other director before him because of the visual style he's going for, and he'd naturally want the title song to compliment it. If Amy Winehouse's proposed theme is the antithesis of it, he's likely to say something, and I think the producers would listen.

#59 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

Please, are you serious, Phil Collins, I hope your joking, if not your views on music will not be taken seriously by me ever again, how old are you 45. Collin's would be utterly awful, dreadful AOR garbage, why not Celine Dion or Dido while your at it.

I think the Barry mention is most likely rubbish but if it isn't maybe we could see another classic. I can live in hope can't I!

It seems strange that you are dismissing Phil Collins' involvement apparently due to his old hat-ed-ness, but in the same breath are advocating John Barry even though the last time he made an appearance in anything Bond related was 21 years ago.

Barry and Collins have both been successful in their own arenas and are both of a certain age. Certainly you can say that, in your opinion, Collins' music may not be appropriate, but not due to his non-contemporary nature if Barry is to be forever lauded.

#60 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

So he'd have more influence than the director of the film? That seems to be quite a lot of influence -rather than none at all- to me....