40 replies to this topic

#31 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

Who really gives a :tup: about post counts anyway? What does it prove? It's not like somebody's putting a dollar into a secret Swiss account in your name for every post you make. Nor are you necessarily a bigger, smarter, sexier, better Bond fan if you have more posts than anybody else (Mods excepted, of course :tup: ).

#32 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

Who really gives a :tup: about post counts anyway? What does it prove? It's not like....

Just to make sure for myself that I'm not trading one extreme for another, I think it's important to note that every Forum I can recall visiting has some sort of Posts tracking aspect. And that the number of Posts appear under the signer's screen name.

So the folks that develop the software behind these places are responding to some sort of demand, interest. And, just like the numbers CBn keeps regarding Registrations, there are uses by the powers that be here to differentiate among classes of Posting individuals (eg, who gets an image, and who has to wait until they've Posted enough times).

Thus, and incentive -- and something to "prove," as you say.

#33 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

The combination of the group and date joined gives a pretty nice idea of time on the boards and level of activity. It looks a bit weird without the post count for now... but I think I like it this way. I kinda miss the titles though - they're still there somewhere but would be nice to see them at a glance (the group name sort of does the same thing I guess).

#34 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

I've been scanning this thread without understanding what you were all talking about... because I use the spoiler-free skin! So now I can tell you: the post count is still present in this skin. For the record.

#35 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

I've been scanning this thread without understanding what you were all talking about... because I use the spoiler-free skin! So now I can tell you: the post count is still present in this skin. For the record.

Interesting quandary; which is more important to know - stuff about a film that this time next year will be on DVD or stuff about how much of one's life one's spent going tippety tap on here?

#36 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:32 PM

I

#37 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

wakalBond would see the Spoiler-Free skin updated now.

#38 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:00 AM

If you ever thought that raising your post count is going to land you a spot on the Team, you're sadly mistaken.

You're also sadly mistaken if you think a high post count makes you "cool" and/or increases your chances of scoring with a lady.

How would you know?

:tup: ..... :tup:

#39 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:01 AM

I think I've just found the button that sends everyone back to zero.

My willpower is extremely weak. Shall I press it?

Yes.

Who will take care of the Lounge while we're all trying to regain our Commander ranks? Can you imagine the dust that would accrue if left unattended that long?

My God man... THE DUST!

I have been trying to get into the lounge for some time. Now I can sneak in and won't be instantly recognised.

What about the moderators? What will they be called if the ranking system states that you need 3,000+ posts to be a commander if they are commander RNVR's? And what about the past posts that have been collected for years? Will they all just disappear?

#40 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:12 AM

I think I've just found the button that sends everyone back to zero.

My willpower is extremely weak. Shall I press it?

Yes.

Who will take care of the Lounge while we're all trying to regain our Commander ranks? Can you imagine the dust that would accrue if left unattended that long?

My God man... THE DUST!

I have been trying to get into the lounge for some time. Now I can sneak in and won't be instantly recognised.

What about the moderators? What will they be called if the ranking system states that you need 3,000+ posts to be a commander if they are commander RNVR's? And what about the past posts that have been collected for years? Will they all just disappear?

I don't know what you're talking about but "rankings" mean absolutely nothing on CBn. They're just there because they came with the forum software. That's all.

#41 honour

honour

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:41 AM

[quote]In the same vein, lazy application of acronyms <eg. OMG, LOL, ROTFLMAO, AVTAK, etc

Reply to this topic