This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

'Quantum of Solace' Singer - Amy Winehouse?

552 replies to this topic

Poll: The Sun Says 'Quantum' Singer Is Amy Winehouse

Would you like to see Amy Winehouse sing the 'Quantum of Solace' theme song?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:47 AM

i'm holding out for a rocker like yes or Rush to do it

That's a joke right, some over the hill passed it rockers as to suggestion to Lewis,Winehouse is infintely more talented than Lewis and Bassey put together.

DAF was the only track I didn't think the instrumental versions was better, she's overrated very much like some think Conery is god.

Bassey would be nothing without Barry except some cabaret singer from Wales, if it's not Winehouse EON should get some balls and hire Portishead or Massive Attack, 3rd is an awesome achievement and proves the Bristol massive reunion is on with MA & Tricky albums on the horizon.

Depeche or Gahan on his own though he has a questionable druggy past so maybe he shouldn't get the job for that reason.(this is sarcasm) I see this going to a safe option I really hope we can get something worthy and not some pop trash like Lewis, bland and unexciting ala Crowe or Garbage.

If Arnold to pull the sma e trick as Play Dead again then Bjork is an option but the idea of giving it to Amy lites like Duffy, nice girl but obviously a record company looking for their own Winehouse.

Winehouse maybe a scag head but at least she;'s got edge and some originality, Duffy and that Gabriella Climie are just chart muzak.

(in a stuffy british accent) I never joke about choice in bond musicans number 72

I intally wanted to scream rant and rave (i'm 21 and a huge yes fan to me they are still fresh ionnovative and amazing and hardly "over the hill" rush i would of agreed with u had they not released Snakes and Arrows amazing album)
Insterad i will point out a few things

1. I tried to get into winehouse with no success what ever you all see in her clearly i'm missing because she sounds to me bland and a little annoying. Though i wanna point out i tried to get into her i listened to You know i'm no good, rehab, and back to black a few times trying to get into it. sorry she does nothing for me.

2. Winehouse and many of the people metioned i feel represents the "old bond" look had brosnan done a 5th film Winehouse would of been perfect for it. I feel this is almost a new franchise.... sort of bond is a bit harder edged and honestly the music should be too You know my name was a breath fresh air after madonna's .... (i said i'd be nice but i'm sure u can imagine what words id' use to dexcribe it)

Look i'll give a listen to the other artists you've metioned because hey I'm 21 and a guitarist so speaking strictly from a music point of view i gotta be at least willing to listen to new styles to be a better musican. I just feel Quantum of Solace should have another hard edged theme

Which over the hill what has cornell been doing since he left sound garden and pre you know my name. I mean Really what has Audioslave (belive that is/was cornells 2nd band) done. but again I'll be nice

Next time though I have been respectfull to the winehouse fan base I'd apreciate it if you al were respect full to my musical tastes.

#242 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:13 AM

Why not put her in the main titles...?

I can just see it now: a main title sequence by Daniel Kleinmann, with Winehouse's tattoos coming to life and shooting at Craig. Craig then dodges 3D, CGI crack pipes and heroin needles. Later we see silhouetted Bond Girls snow skiing in the nude. The camera pulls back to reveal it's Winehouse's stash of powder they're skiing on.

Ouch!

:tup:

#243 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:05 AM

Shame about Winehouse. I thought she'd be a good choice.

That song just may show up on her next album in some form or other. Whether we'll notice it as a Bondian song or not is another thing. If it's noticed at all.

I'd definitely like to hear it in some point in time.

#244 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

Here's a question for the Leona Lewis bashers, and, no I'm not a Lewis fan in any way, shape or form, but I'll ask this question anyway:

Would you concede the possibility that Lewis - naff, bland, etc. though she may be - could still do a good Bond song?

I mean, isn't the main thing that it's a good song? What I'm saying is that if "they" wrote a cracking song for QUANTUM OF SOLACE, it would still be a cracking song even if sung by Cliff Richard.

Personally, I think all the Brosnan era theme songs are decent songs, and I'm therefore happy with 'em.... although I'd never buy albums by Tina Turner, Sheryl Crow, Garbage or Madonna (well, I might buy a couple of Madge's earlier LPs, but my point still stands).

Anyway, now that Winehouse seems to be out of the picture, here's hoping that The Powers That Be will sign Ian Brown for the QoS song. I just can't understand why Brown hasn't been snapped up already. Gah! Why won't Eon ever do what I ask? How many goshdarned internet posts does it take?

#245 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

9 CBn pages on the singer and song? What about the movie? Isn't the film itself the most important piece of the pie? :tup:

#246 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:59 PM

I think we're being played with all this Winehouse whatnot. I'm checking out.

#247 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:40 PM

9 CBn pages on the singer and song? What about the movie? Isn't the film itself the most important piece of the pie? :tup:

The theme song performer for each new Bond film seems to always get tons and tons of discussion on the CBn Forums.

#248 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:37 AM

Hell, this is nothing compared to the ongoing discussions on CBN about the QoS gunbarrel, which is what, 10-15 seconds that doesn't really have anything to do with the film itself!

#249 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:00 AM

it would still be a cracking song even if sung by Cliff Richard.

Steady on!

#250 Genevieve Brentmayer

Genevieve Brentmayer

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

It has been announced that Amy Winehouse is no longer in the run for any music for The New 007 Movie.

Per Sky News: Mark Ronson said he has been forced to stop work with her on their collaboration for the next Bond movie.

He said."We tried to work for a little bit. I'm not sure she's ready to work on music yet."

Asked if the Quantum of Solace track will be made he added: "I don't think so unless by some miracle of science it gets recorded and someone sings a vocal on it so probably not.

"We did work on it but we never finished it so that's about it."

Asked if the pair are due to work on other projects he replied: "No, we tried to work for a little bit. I'm not sure she's ready to work on music yet".

However, a spokesman for Winehouse has said: "Mark has presented a track to Amy, but she had other ideas about the direction it should take.

"She has always made her own decisions about her music."

**********************************************************************Update*******************************************************************

We here at Atlantic News have been contacted by Jeff Greenberg of Greenberg & Silverman, the Management Company of Valare' ( http://greenbergsilv...n.sampasite.com ) and have been advised this singer would

be a shoe in for the project (you may listen here- http://www.myspace.com/valareworldwide )

While we are merely reporting the news and are not their PR Company, we do believe they may be on to something.

After all, Ramone (Valare's Producer) of Greenberg & Silverman was accused of being 'Clive Davis' in the following article that predicted the demise of Kelly Clarkson's Record after Kelly told Clive to

'shove it."

Looks like Ramone was right on the money here:

http://www.xtra.ca/p...B_TEMPLATE_ID=1

And Here (see comment 4):

http://www.monstersa.....1My_December�

While the aforementioned Artist, Valare' has only one song posted by the name of Show Off, you'll see what we mean when you hear it.

Over 100,000 MySpace hits in a little under One Month, and still unsigned...

The Artist instantly reminds you of authentic Tina Turner with several Horn Sections as well as Solo's accompanying her.

Her vocals are the true quintessence of raw talent from the factory...with a substantial hit of Soul unheard of today.

No Vocal coach...just GOD according to Jeff.

Please let us know here at News 7 if it's a yea or nay for you...

For Atlantic News 7,

Genevieve Brentmayer
Entertainment Reporter
[email protected]

Additional information courtesy of:

Jeff Greenberg
[email protected]

#251 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

Why not put her in the main titles like Sheena Easton? I can just see it now: a main title sequence by Daniel Kleinmann, with Winehouse's tattoos coming to life and shooting at Craig. Craig then dodges 3D, CGI crack pipes and heroin needles. Later we see silhouetted Bond Girls snow skiing in the nude. The camera pulls back to reveal it's Winehouse's stash of powder they're skiing on.

Ugh. There are just too many talented bands and singers out there for EON to go and pick a down-and-out drug addict to sing the song. Seriously. Something has to be said for propriety, and decency. It can't always be just about whether someone is talented or not.

Perhaps you could show us how to be decent and how to have propriety? Or pehaps you could just be hideously unpleasant about this person in public, call her names and make fun of her? That's being decent and gentlemanly, is it?

#252 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

I saw this article posted over at mi6.co.uk Apparently Winehouse and Ronson have had a falling out over the Bond theme they were working on. Amy wasn't pleased, to say the least, of what they had produced so far. "F'n rubbish" were her exact words to Ronson before she stormed out of the studio and has refused to work on the song anymore.. :tup:

http://fametastic.co...mes-bond-theme/

Apparently Amy was also furious with Ronson's previous comments about how she is unable to work on any music at the moment..

Me thinks this is the end of a not so beautiful partnership!! LOL

#253 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

Sounds like a marriage made in Hell! :tup:

#254 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

If Ronson has a good Bond theme on his hands, can he get someone else to sing it?

Adele for example?

#255 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

If Ronson has a good Bond theme on his hands, can he get someone else to sing it?

Guess the might depend on the level of involvement by Amy Winehouse.

#256 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

My mother was in the car with me earlier when Amy's 'Love is a Losing Game' came on my iPod, at which point Mother asked who it was, because she said it sounded like a 60s Bond song. She was surprised and impressed to hear it was Amy Winehouse, whom she only knows through her tabloid exploits. I thought that was quite interesting.

Very interesting. I think a lot of people are predisposed to dislike her based on her drug addiction, to the extent that some people will even stubbornly insist that they don't like her music, even when they hear a lovely song like "Love is a Losing Game".

It is amazing to me how our society is taught to hate drug addicts. Theres a level of vitriol reserved for drug addiction which just isn't there for, say, alcoholism. I wonder how many people on these forums hated George Best the way they seem to hate Winehouse.

(btw santajosep I'm not trying to imply that your mother hated Amy Winehouse!)

Edited by kneelbeforezod, 06 May 2008 - 02:30 PM.

#257 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

(btw santajosep I'm not trying to imply that your mother hated Amy Winehouse!)

I know, and she doesn't :tup:. She just thinks she's 'a very silly girl', but having heard all she has about her definitely didn't expect her music to be so, I don't know, melodious.

#258 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

Why not put her in the main titles like Sheena Easton? I can just see it now: a main title sequence by Daniel Kleinmann, with Winehouse's tattoos coming to life and shooting at Craig. Craig then dodges 3D, CGI crack pipes and heroin needles. Later we see silhouetted Bond Girls snow skiing in the nude. The camera pulls back to reveal it's Winehouse's stash of powder they're skiing on.

Ugh. There are just too many talented bands and singers out there for EON to go and pick a down-and-out drug addict to sing the song. Seriously. Something has to be said for propriety, and decency. It can't always be just about whether someone is talented or not.

Perhaps you could show us how to be decent and how to have propriety? Or pehaps you could just be hideously unpleasant about this person in public, call her names and make fun of her? That's being decent and gentlemanly, is it?

Agreed.

Wholeheartedly.

Do you know what Amy Winehouse's only crime is...? That she is a victim of petty, uncreative and dangerously opinionated people in the real world who have a sad, pitiful and prurient hunger for celebrity meltdown. She is someone's daughter, wife, sister, grand-daughter, cousin and friend. As I've said before, some people need to get their own personal life before commenting on others.

#259 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

Regardless of all the variance of opinion of Ms. WInehouse's troubles and addictions, I must say that she has a powerhouse voice. She would, in my opinion, make a fine candidate for a Bond theme. My dream is that she would record a new version of "Mister Kiss Kiss Band Bang" for the closing credits...

Oh, be nice.

Poor girl lacks the easy protection of your anonymity, Michael. How brave you're being, posting things on a message board read by - in comparison to the people she has reached - a handful. Don't you think there's something a little bit, well, crap in living like that?

I'll say something for propriety and decency. You're coming across as a really horrid thing. Rescue yourself.

#260 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

Thank you, Jim. :tup:

The really sad thing about all of this, is there are people who need help with one thing or another. But, are afraid to ask because of judgmental and self-righeous people. Wake up, folks. There is nothing funny about any of this sad story.

#261 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

I think we're being played with all this Winehouse whatnot. I'm checking out.

Odd, somedays I have the same feeling.

#262 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

Best news of the year apart from the start of shooting the movie, bring on real english proud artists like Oasis, or the Sex Pistols !

#263 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

Regardless of all the variance of opinion of Ms. WInehouse's troubles and addictions, I must say that she has a powerhouse voice. She would, in my opinion, make a fine candidate for a Bond theme. My dream is that she would record a new version of "Mister Kiss Kiss Band Bang" for the closing credits...

Oh, be nice.

Poor girl lacks the easy protection of your anonymity, Michael. How brave you're being, posting things on a message board read by - in comparison to the people she has reached - a handful. Don't you think there's something a little bit, well, crap in living like that?

I'll say something for propriety and decency. You're coming across as a really horrid thing. Rescue yourself.

That needed saying, Jim. And no-one could have said it better than you.

As for Amy Winehouse apparently being out of the picture (I'm not yet wholly convinced this isn't a bit of media manipulation on a par with the the old Blairite dark arts), I, personally, am sorry. But c'est la vie. If she doesn't do it, it will be one of those intriguing Bondian what-ifs.

Best news of the year apart from the start of shooting the movie, bring on real english proud artists like Oasis, or the Sex Pistols !

Oh, please. Both bands were overrated in their heyday and are now creaking old has-been acts. Spare us that,I beg you.

#264 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

Oh, be nice.

That needed saying, Jim. And no-one could have said it better than you.

As for Amy Winehouse apparently being out of the picture (I'm not yet wholly convinced this isn't a bit of media manipulation on a par with the the old Blairite dark arts), I, personally, am sorry. But c'est la vie. If she doesn't do it, it will be one of those intriguing Bondian what-ifs.

Oh, please. Both bands were overrated in their heyday and are now creaking old has-been acts. Spare us that,I beg you.

And I agree here.

I don't entirely buy that she is out of the frame, but either way she is welcome from this fan into the Bond world any time.

#265 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

From what I've seen and read about her (including alleged video of her smoking crack), Winehouse is truly a troubled and talented artist. She's been known to verbally abuse her concert audience while in a high and drunken state. These fans have spent good money to pay her, and she couldn't be bothered to give them their money's worth.

I have no sympathy for such a person.

She's allegedly not willing to help herself get better (if I am wrong about this, I will retract). The recent news from Ronson seems to support this theory.

After all of this, I cannot support such a train wreck doing the next Bond title. I don't care how good it is - I want a truly dedicated (and sober) artist to get a chance at such a historic opportunity.

Hats off to those who stubbornly shield Winehouse and defend her choices, but I can't get behind that, no matter if she's a victim or not. She has a backbone - she can use it to pull herself out of the hole if she so chooses.

#266 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

I think they should remove the theme song from all future DVD releases of LIVE AND LET DIE on account of Paul McCartney's convictions for cannabis possession and his use of cocaine, LSD and heroin.

#267 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

Thank goodness! I cannot stand Amy Winehouse. It has nothing to do with her non music activities, its just because her music is horrible IMO. I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but I don't like her sound.

#268 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

I think they should remove the theme song from all future DVD releases of LIVE AND LET DIE on account of Paul McCartney's convictions for cannabis possession and his use of cocaine, LSD and heroin.

I don't remember his use affecting his sense of professionalism. Never saw Sir Paul flinging obscenities at his audiences, nor performing at a concert blasted out of his mind on drugs.

No, even I am not naive enough to think that the majority of music artists don't indulge in every type of drug imaginable, but when it affects you in your everyday, public life and you make such a complete horse's behind of yourself, that's when I have a problem with it.

Winehouse would be associated forever with the Bond franchise, should she be elected to provide the title song. I do not condone the production associating themselves with such an unprofessional (yet undeniably talented) singer.

#269 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:58 PM

I do not condone the production associating themselves with such an unprofessional (yet undeniably talented) singer.

#270 HellIsHere

HellIsHere

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

Gnarls Barkley anyone?