This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

'Quantum of Solace' Singer - Amy Winehouse?

552 replies to this topic

Poll: The Sun Says 'Quantum' Singer Is Amy Winehouse

Would you like to see Amy Winehouse sing the 'Quantum of Solace' theme song?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#391 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:31 PM

Can we cool it in here?

I would recommend taking something.

#392 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

Can we cool it in here?

Jim, if you choose to go down that path, I will extend a compassionate hand to help drag you away from it.

#393 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:52 PM

Can we cool it in here?

Jim, if you choose to go down that path, I will extend a compassionate hand to help drag you away from it.

...I was thinking of a nice cup of tea and an iced bun.

#394 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

Can we cool it in here?

So was I. That's dangerous stuff - you know, 'a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips'. Have a nice, raw carrot and some raisins instead.

#395 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

Can we cool it in here?

So was I. That's dangerous stuff - you know, 'a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips'. Have a nice, raw carrot and some raisins instead.

And some fine strawberry yoga. :tup:

#396 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

Can we cool it in here?

And some fine strawberry yoga. :tup:

Ah, much better.

#397 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

And I fail to see how giving drug addicts sunshine and lollipops is going to help them.

Well, of course if you go to that extreme, that's not helpful for anyone struggling with addiction. And I don't think anyone was suggesting that we all just be rays of sunshine for drug addicts. But there's plenty of space in between the "sunshine and lollipops" extreme and the other extreme of rejection, which you seem to have chosen. One can be supportive and empathetic without being an enabler.

#398 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:35 PM

Can we cool it in here?

Both can be terribly addictive. So be warned; you may still require santa's compassionate hand. For myself, I'm addicted to utility housing. Perhaps I need some time in Prefab...

#399 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

Can we cool it in here?

Both can be terribly addictive. So be warned; you may still require santa's compassionate hand. For myself, I'm addicted to utility housing. Perhaps I need some time in Prefab...

Or perhaps a nice read? Moby Dick's a good book. I need to go into Ahab.

#400 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

Can we cool it in here?

Or perhaps a nice read? Moby Dick's a good book. I need to go into Ahab.

Or I could always indulge myself in shockingly-overrated TV shows and go into Ab-Fab?

#401 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

Ahab. :tup:

#402 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

Can we cool it in here?

They tried to feed me sherbert dib-dabs
I said no, no, no

And then regretted it immediately.

#403 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

Can we cool it in here?

I said no, no, no

Ah, sherbert. We were encouraged to suck it up a liquorice pipe when I was a kid. Oh, and we had sweets that looked just like cigarettes*. It's a wonder we aren't all nicotine-stained druggies...

* They sometimes had James Bond cards in 'em, too. Well, a drawing supposed to be James Bond, anyway, although even at five I was never convinced. But we were a simple people back then and I think the advertisers knew we'd take it on trust.

Edited by dee-bee-five, 27 May 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#404 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

I said no, no, no

Ah, sherbert. We were encouraged to suck it up a liquorice pipe when I was a kid.

I remember that.

That's what that bloke claimed it was, anyway.

#405 honeyjes

honeyjes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

It is, of course, entirely possible that you're merely ignorant of how to conduct oneself in a civilised debate (and, for evidence of that we need only to refer to your behaviour in the "I Need" thread, when you tore into an innocent poster who merely expressed an excited desire to see the QoS trailer).

Oh, I'm all for civilised debates, though when one person asks me to commit a crime on their behalf and leak the trailer, civility gets thrown out the window, and it may sock you to know that I wasn't the one who threw it. But the devil is in the details; where you saw one "innocent poster merely expressing an excited desire to see the trailer", I saw someone who was asking us to commit theft simply to satisfy their selfish desires.

It applies to Amy Winehouse, too: when you see someone - let's make it a close friend, like I saw - destroy themselves with drugs and then refuse any and all help despite repeated efforts an every opportunity at hand, I'm pretty sure you'd becomes jaded towards it. Now I'm big on empowerment, and I've seen and experienced a lot that suggests that self-empowerment is worthy of a hell of a lot of respect and admiration. To have an understanding of yourself, of who you are and what you are capable holds a lot of weight with me, and it's something that should be rewarded.

To me, Winehouse has none of that. She's refused help, and even boasts about it in her songs (even if she demonstrates exactly why she should have gone into rehab). She's perfectly content to stay within a vicious, self-destrucing and self-depreciating cycle; hell, she's happy with it. And - also to me - being approached to perform the Bond theme is very much a privelige. I don't see what Amy Winehouse has done to deserve it. She's a addict, she's irresponsble and she's unreliable. It's like giving a two-year-old a lollipop because the threw a tantrum! Until she cleans up her act, Amy Winehouse doesn't deserve to be allowed to sing the song. She might be able to sing - though I think she sounds suspiciously like a man - but that doesn't mean she's worthy of being approached.

You say compassion is the answer, and maybe it is. But I won't show what little I have left until I start seeing them making the effort to genuinely help themselves. If they fail, they can try again, but they made the effort, and that's to be applauded ... but Winehouse doesn't have that, and I've seen and experienced too much to suggest that expending compassion on someone who doesn't want to help themselves is a waste of time and effort. He (or she) who saves one life saves the world entire. I should know; I've had someone pull me off a path that no-one should be forced to walk down. I've been to hell and back - twice - and the only reason I'm still walking and talking is because one person showed a bit of compassion. But she told me she never would have managed it if I hadn't wanted to get off that path in the first place.

You say compassion will solve everything; I say you're naive. You can't simply direct it at people and expect it will pull themselves out of the hole they're in like some kind of magical crane. Wet paper towel would do a better job than that. But if they genuinely want help in pulling their life together, in fixing whatever it was that broke, I'll be the first to extend my hand because I know first-hand the value of it. But I won't waste my time on a lost cause like Winehouse; chances are there's someone out there far more deserving and much more willing to accept your help than she is. Giving her the opportunity to perform the Bond theme will only push her further into apathy.

Now, is everyone happy that I've had to expose a part of my soul to make my point?

Your explanation rings a little hollow. You've admitted to have been saved twice, so why didn't you learn the first time. I could trivialise your pain and be flippant and say you didn't deserve a second chance but I won't because we may all at some point have to face some sort of crisis and our survival and coping mechanism are different.

#406 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:31 PM

Can we cool it in here?

I said no, no, no

Ah, sherbert. We were encouraged to suck it up a liquorice pipe when I was a kid. Oh, and we had sweets that looked just like cigarettes*. It's a wonder we aren't all nicotine-stained druggies...

* They sometimes had James Bond cards in 'em, too. Well, a drawing supposed to be James Bond, anyway, although even at five I was never convinced. But we were a simple people back then and I think the advertisers knew we'd take it on trust.

This appeals to my awesome sense of logic. I studied under the Jesuits--well, not literally under them--I was too fast for those dirty old men.

#407 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:47 PM

The LA Times blog makes a good point that a Winehouse song (or Beyonce) would have a great chance at winning an Oscar for "Best Original Song".

Edited by Fro, 27 May 2008 - 11:47 PM.

#408 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:51 AM

Your explanation rings a little hollow. You've admitted to have been saved twice, so why didn't you learn the first time. I could trivialise your pain and be flippant and say you didn't deserve a second chance but I won't because we may all at some point have to face some sort of crisis and our survival and coping mechanism are different.

Yes, I admit I've been saved twice ... but it wasn't from drugs. It was something that I had forced upon myself, something much, much darker that you probably can't comprehend. No, I'm not going to tell you; you're better off not knowing. What I am going to tell you is to get off my case and get back on topic.

#409 honeyjes

honeyjes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

Yes, I admit I've been saved twice ... but it wasn't from drugs. It was something that I had forced upon myself, something much, much darker that you probably can't comprehend. No, I'm not going to tell you; you're better off not knowing. What I am going to tell you is to get off my case and get back on topic.

I don't want to know what you went through because it's none of my business as others have said re Amy. This thread has highlighted the paradox in human nature. There should never be a line drawn as to who deserves help and who does not.

#410 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

The LA Times blog makes a good point that a Winehouse song (or Beyonce) would have a great chance at winning an Oscar for "Best Original Song".

Given the Academy prejudice with Bond songs (only two have been nominated) in the past if one were to win it would probably be seen as a 'makeup' Oscar.

#411 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

Either way, I reckon Amy is a fine singer and hope she gets the gig. All she needs to be able to do is record a (good) blooming song. The rest is her own personal problem.

#412 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

Macca may have been smoking cannabis snorting cocaine, eaten LSD (not sure about heroin), but at least, he never looked as ugly, goulish and garish as that girl when doing it. To my knowledge, Bond films always went for at least pretty looking women and bands / singers, never to freaks, I don't see why it should change. It's part of the prestige.

#413 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

Macca may have been smoking cannabis snorting cocaine, eaten LSD (not sure about heroin), but at least, he never looked as ugly, goulish and garish as that girl when doing it. To my knowledge, Bond films always went for at least pretty looking women and bands / singers, never to freaks, I don't see why it should change. It's part of the prestige.

So as long as it looks good on the surface your willing to forgive all sorts crimes?

#414 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

If it shows, it means it's way worse, especially with drugs... :tup:

#415 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

Amy Winehouse is ok, but I think I would like another male singer for QoS. We've had female singers for the past few decades. Surely we don't have to wait another 20 years to hear another male vocalist on Bond? Winehouse could still do a Bond theme in future, perhaps when she's feeling more up to the task.

#416 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

I don't want to know what you went through because it's none of my business as others have said re Amy. This thread has highlighted the paradox in human nature. There should never be a line drawn as to who deserves help and who does not.

Amen.

#417 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:12 PM

There's a difference between being arrogant and considering everyone's point of view before rejecting it because you disagree. And I fail to see how giving drug addicts sunshine and lollipops is going to help them. Some might take it as a sign that they need to fix themselves up, but it's my experience - shock, horror, real life experience - that addicts either won't care, or they'll see it as a reward and keep doing it. If my view of the world happens to be somewhat jaded, then it's none of your concern, and you can go and stick that self-righeousness somewhere where the swear filter won't let me type. It's none of your concern as to how I see the world, so back off.

Are you related to LadySylvia by any chance??!!

:tup:

Are you related to Jessica Fletcher? I'm seeing some terribly compelling evidence to suggest you're not.

#418 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

Back on topic: Dan likes Amy. Dan's never wrong. Therefore, he's right about Amy.

#419 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

So we're to judge solely on looks now, are we? How shallow.

#420 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

So we're to judge solely on looks now, are we? How shallow.

Matt Munro and Louis Armstrong, eh? Lush. I guess their...um...distinctive looks may appeal to some. Don't get me started on Lulu. Unless it's with a steam hammer.

Only wanting Ms Winehouse to sing a song, not to reproduce with.