This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

'Quantum of Solace' Singer - Amy Winehouse?

552 replies to this topic

Poll: The Sun Says 'Quantum' Singer Is Amy Winehouse

Would you like to see Amy Winehouse sing the 'Quantum of Solace' theme song?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#361 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

Digitalspy.

From today's Digitalspy. Seems reports of her unreliability are exaggerated.

Edited by dee-bee-five, 22 May 2008 - 09:14 AM.

#362 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

Yesterdays The London Paper had this odd story, seems very unlikely to me mainly because of the bit about John Barry. Anyway here you go

#363 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

[quote name='Shrublands' post='872829' date='22 May 2008 - 14:16']Yesterdays The London Paper had this odd story, seems very unlikely to me mainly because of the bit about John Barry. Anyway here you go

Edited by bond 16.05.72, 23 May 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#364 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

...helps establish a Daniel Craig hate site...

ABSOLUTE LIE. A DAMNABLE LIE. You should be removed from this board for telling such flatout lies. Seriously. You really need to check your facts before making such allegations. Not only did I not start the site, I never contributed anything to it, and when Mario asked me to conceal his identity and lie for him, I refused.

http://debrief.comma...p...5125&st=180

Thanks for the memories. Happy days. Happy Feet.

Priceless. Brings back fond memories of crushing one of the CnotB.com losers.

What ever did happen to that fat loser Mario Bruno anyway? Did NY fire him for his homophobic and racist musings?

#365 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:06 PM

She fits the profible but according to what's been published, it'd mean another Arnoldless song (Crow, Madonna) and I'm sick and tired of fake Bond songs written by second rate American producers instead of film composers. LTK sucks, TND sucks, DAD sucks. The only fake Bond song that makes the grade is GE and it was written by actual musicians. Winehouse is said to be working with her producer and no mention is made of Arnold.

#366 frankwalker

frankwalker

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

Amy Winehouse isn't very well known over here but after watching the Back to Black video I must say I'm really impressed. A Shirley Bassey quality to it.

I would think that QoS could benefit from the edginess of Winehouse. She's certainly not boring!

#367 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

Pase don't like Winehouse to Dame Shirley. The Welsh Wonder has a sense of decency and a certain element of sophistication about her. Winehouse is a crack-whore.

#368 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

Pase don't like Winehouse to Dame Shirley. The Welsh Wonder has a sense of decency and a certain element of sophistication about her. Winehouse is a crack-whore.

Winehouse is immensely more talented than a jumped up Cabaret singer who has Bond to thank for her career.

Amy writes her own songs and not gets someone else to do it, with the exception of DAF the instrumentals are much better and that goes for that other overrated welsh singer on TB.

#369 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:12 PM

Winehouse is immensely more talented than a jumped up Cabaret singer who has Bond to thank for her career.

Amy writes her own songs and not gets someone else to do it, with the exception of DAF the instrumentals are much better and that goes for that other overrated welsh singer on TB.

Absolutely

#370 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Absolutely

Creatively, maybe, but Dame Shirley isn't one of the dregs of society the way Winehouse is.

#371 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

Creativity is all i'm interested in. I don't care about her personal life. I would like her to be okay but it doesn't have any bearing on the song

'dregs of society'

a horrible thing to say. you need to have more compassion

#372 honeyjes

honeyjes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

Captain Tightpants appears to be the resident condescending know all.

#373 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:00 PM

Maybe the pants need to be let out a bit?

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :tup:

#374 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

Amy Winehouse Confirms 'James Bond' Theme

Amy Winehouse has confirmed she has been working on the title track from forthcoming Bond movie Quantum Of Solace - following weeks of speculation about the track. The troubled star was rumored to have been dropped as the film's official musical muse after DJ Mark Ronson told reporters he had scrapped his 007 collaboration with the singer because she was not "ready" to work on music after a recent return to her erratic ways.

But Winehouse has now confirmed that she has in fact completed the song and is just waiting to get the green light from movie bosses over whether the song will be used in the film, which is due in cinemas later this year.

She says, "I've written the song. If they like it, they like it. If they don't, they don't."

And Ronson adds, "If I talk about it (James Bond star) Daniel Craig will whack me in the eyes. Amy wrote the song on an acoustic guitar. It was my job to help with the arrangement and realise the sound we were going for. So that was my role."

http://commanderbond...n...&item=47097 - Starpulse

#375 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:19 AM

So it's possible that QOS' only criminal mistake could possibly be another title song that has nothing to do with the instrumental score. :tup:

For crying out loud, is there some kind of 'every-other-film' contract on that or something? Or is there a way that the alleged Winehouse song could still be arranged into the score?

#376 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

Creativity is all i'm interested in. I don't care about her personal life. I would like her to be okay but it doesn't have any bearing on the song

'dregs of society'

a horrible thing to say. you need to have more compassion

Doesn't make it any less true. And her personal life does have a bearing on the song: if she's high, drunk or both, it's going to seriously affect her ability to write and record the song.

And as for compassion, Winehouse deserves none even if I had any to give. She's the one responsible for her problems and she's shown no inclination to rectify the problem. She even boasts about it in Rehab. So to hell with sympathy, Amy Winehouse represents everything that is wrong with not just the music industry, but parts of society.

I happen to think Amy Winehouse is one of the lower forms of society because she's a drug user, and I hold no sympathy for her. I'm not going to sugar-coat it; she'd probably mistake it for cocaine and try and snort that, too. I think she's little more than a coke-head and a crack-whore and too strung-out to put out a decent tune. Hiring her will only hurt Qunatum of Solace; Babs and Michael G might as well vomit all over the film. It'd certainly sound a hell of a lot better.

Now you can think I'm a condescending know-all, but that's your problem because I really don't care. Go and deal with it.

#377 honeyjes

honeyjes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

I happen to think Amy Winehouse is one of the lower forms of society because she's a drug user, and I hold no sympathy for her. I'm not going to sugar-coat it; she'd probably mistake it for cocaine and try and snort that, too. I think she's little more than a coke-head and a crack-whore and too strung-out to put out a decent tune. Hiring her will only hurt Qunatum of Solace; Babs and Michael G might as well vomit all over the film. It'd certainly sound a hell of a lot better.

Now you can think I'm a condescending know-all, but that's your problem because I really don't care. Go and deal with it.
[/quote]

Not sure why you insist on being judge, jury and executioner after all you don't have all the facts.

I haven't got anything to deal with, your the one doing all the ranting.

Edited by honeyjes, 26 May 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#378 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

And you're the one who took issue with my post.

#379 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

I happen to think Amy Winehouse is one of the lower forms of society because she's a drug user, and I hold no sympathy for her.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion reflects a shallow understanding of addiction and why most people become addicts, in the first place.

My own personal feelings on this particular matter, as it applies to Winehouse and the Bond theme, are split along two lines:

1. Professional, as in whether she can perform according to the professional expectations of her employer, whether that be EON or whomever. If she can, then she's no less deserving of being able to sing the title song (and whatever other responsibilities go along with that) than anyone else. The caveat being whether she can fulfill all of those obligations. And, of course, whether the song she turns in is to EON's liking.

2. Sympathy for her, as a person, which is what I would feel for pretty much any human being struggling with addiction. There but for the grace of God go I, and all.

Edited by byline, 26 May 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#380 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

The LA Times' take on the matter: http://goldderby.lat...inehouse-o.html

#381 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

Amy Winehouse represents everything that is wrong with not just the music industry, but parts of society...

I happen to think that what is truly wrong with society is a lack of compassion and the arrogance of not even considering another person's point of view. You demonstrate both in your post.

Edited by dee-bee-five, 26 May 2008 - 08:49 PM.

#382 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:30 AM

There's a difference between being arrogant and considering everyone's point of view before rejecting it because you disagree. And I fail to see how giving drug addicts sunshine and lollipops is going to help them. Some might take it as a sign that they need to fix themselves up, but it's my experience - shock, horror, real life experience - that addicts either won't care, or they'll see it as a reward and keep doing it. If my view of the world happens to be somewhat jaded, then it's none of your concern, and you can go and stick that self-righeousness somewhere where the swear filter won't let me type. It's none of your concern as to how I see the world, so back off.

#383 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:42 AM

If there is a song lying around with a Winehouse vibe to it, then maybe someone else can sing it like Estelle, Gabriella Cilmi, Duffy or that Adele of Chasing Pavements fame.

#384 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

There's a difference between being arrogant and considering everyone's point of view before rejecting it because you disagree. And I fail to see how giving drug addicts sunshine and lollipops is going to help them. Some might take it as a sign that they need to fix themselves up, but it's my experience - shock, horror, real life experience - that addicts either won't care, or they'll see it as a reward and keep doing it. If my view of the world happens to be somewhat jaded, then it's none of your concern, and you can go and stick that self-righeousness somewhere where the swear filter won't let me type. It's none of your concern as to how I see the world, so back off.

Oh my God - you're Lady Sylvia!

#385 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

A total lack of courtesy is also one of the problems facing modern society. Again, you demonstrate this in your latest tirade. Ignorance is also a major problem. It is, of course, entirely possible that you're merely ignorant of how to conduct oneself in a civilised debate (and, for evidence of that we need only to refer to your behaviour in the "I Need" thread, when you tore into an innocent poster who merely expressed an excited desire to see the QoS trailer). If that's the case we must make allowances for you. But, either way, you appear increasingly to characterise the world we live in more than Ms. Winehouse ever could. Congratulations.

Edited by dee-bee-five, 27 May 2008 - 12:44 PM.

#386 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

I love this thread. There's an amazing variety of opinions here... I think it's best to focus more on AW's artistic talent, which is obviously subjective, and less on her activities in her spare time. Calling her a crack-whore is a bit too much - I'm pretty sure she's never had to sell her body to buy crack.

Does anyone else have trouble imagining the combination of the Petshop Boys and Amy Winehouse? What would they call it...

Interesting quote from the LA times article:

First, the Bond scoop on that beehive-wearing battle ax. On Sunday, Winehouse told the London Daily Star, "I’ve done loads of Bond songs. There are loads of good ones I’m really happy with. I don’t know what is wrong with them or what the problem is, to be honest. It’s there, ready and done, and it’s up to them if they want it or not."

The news report adds, "Pals say the main track up for consideration is a big Shirley Bassey, '60s-type number. Record company bosses are pleased with the 'surefire hit.' But Bond chiefs are still dithering." As the paper explains via a source: "It’s at a delicate stage. Amy is still seen as damaged goods — she will have to prove she’s on the road to recovery before she’s signed up."

#387 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

It is, of course, entirely possible that you're merely ignorant of how to conduct oneself in a civilised debate (and, for evidence of that we need only to refer to your behaviour in the "I Need" thread, when you tore into an innocent poster who merely expressed an excited desire to see the QoS trailer).

Oh, I'm all for civilised debates, though when one person asks me to commit a crime on their behalf and leak the trailer, civility gets thrown out the window, and it may sock you to know that I wasn't the one who threw it. But the devil is in the details; where you saw one "innocent poster merely expressing an excited desire to see the trailer", I saw someone who was asking us to commit theft simply to satisfy their selfish desires.

It applies to Amy Winehouse, too: when you see someone - let's make it a close friend, like I saw - destroy themselves with drugs and then refuse any and all help despite repeated efforts an every opportunity at hand, I'm pretty sure you'd becomes jaded towards it. Now I'm big on empowerment, and I've seen and experienced a lot that suggests that self-empowerment is worthy of a hell of a lot of respect and admiration. To have an understanding of yourself, of who you are and what you are capable holds a lot of weight with me, and it's something that should be rewarded.

To me, Winehouse has none of that. She's refused help, and even boasts about it in her songs (even if she demonstrates exactly why she should have gone into rehab). She's perfectly content to stay within a vicious, self-destrucing and self-depreciating cycle; hell, she's happy with it. And - also to me - being approached to perform the Bond theme is very much a privelige. I don't see what Amy Winehouse has done to deserve it. She's a addict, she's irresponsble and she's unreliable. It's like giving a two-year-old a lollipop because the threw a tantrum! Until she cleans up her act, Amy Winehouse doesn't deserve to be allowed to sing the song. She might be able to sing - though I think she sounds suspiciously like a man - but that doesn't mean she's worthy of being approached.

You say compassion is the answer, and maybe it is. But I won't show what little I have left until I start seeing them making the effort to genuinely help themselves. If they fail, they can try again, but they made the effort, and that's to be applauded ... but Winehouse doesn't have that, and I've seen and experienced too much to suggest that expending compassion on someone who doesn't want to help themselves is a waste of time and effort. He (or she) who saves one life saves the world entire. I should know; I've had someone pull me off a path that no-one should be forced to walk down. I've been to hell and back - twice - and the only reason I'm still walking and talking is because one person showed a bit of compassion. But she told me she never would have managed it if I hadn't wanted to get off that path in the first place.

You say compassion will solve everything; I say you're naive. You can't simply direct it at people and expect it will pull themselves out of the hole they're in like some kind of magical crane. Wet paper towel would do a better job than that. But if they genuinely want help in pulling their life together, in fixing whatever it was that broke, I'll be the first to extend my hand because I know first-hand the value of it. But I won't waste my time on a lost cause like Winehouse; chances are there's someone out there far more deserving and much more willing to accept your help than she is. Giving her the opportunity to perform the Bond theme will only push her further into apathy.

Now, is everyone happy that I've had to expose a part of my soul to make my point?

#388 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

Can we cool it in here?

#389 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

Can we cool it in here?

Indeed, this thread is getting out of hand. Who know what is really the right way to handle this crazy thing called addiction. I know it begins with the addict, but a little compassion can't hurt. I know still naive at 52, but its works for me.

#390 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Oh my God - you're Lady Sylvia!

But I could've sworn I saw Judo Chop and Lady S walking hand in hand off into the sunset...

Can we cool it in here?

Indeed, this thread is getting out of hand. Who know what is really the right way to handle this crazy thing called addiction. I know it begins with the addict, but a little compassion can't hurt. I know still naive at 52, but its works for me.

Well said, Triple K.