39 replies to this topic

#31 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

My pleasure - but my view of the generating argument remains the same. Not terribly interested in how it started, but much more interested in its end. Everyone's a winner, it's a lovely sunny day, hello trees, hello sky etc.

This isn't about anybody winning or losing. It's about people at these forums being held accountable for their behavior and it's quite obvious you can't be bothered with that, which is fine because it's becoming increasingly clear that these forums are now a dick-tatorship. So be it.

#32 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

My pleasure - but my view of the generating argument remains the same. Not terribly interested in how it started, but much more interested in its end. Everyone's a winner, it's a lovely sunny day, hello trees, hello sky etc.

This isn't about anybody winning or losing. It's about people at these forums being held accountable for their behavior and it's quite obvious you can't be bothered with that, which is fine because it's becoming increasingly clear that these forums are now a dick-tatorship. So be it.

Apart from the pun not being overly witty, I really do think you are too harsh there, Righty007. Every forum/message-board is in some way dependent on the judgement of its mods and owners. This is in no way different here, I should think. Neither is this lack of democratic spirit nor does it constitute dictatorship; it's just the only way these things work. And for the most part it would seem to work halfway decently in my view. Jim already pointed out what to do in case one feels the need for moderate action, I don't see what else there is to it.

Edited by Dustin, 03 July 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#33 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

Apart from the pun not being overly witty, I really do think you are too harsh there, Righty007.

Funny...I don't recall you referring to Mrs.Blofeld's post calling Righty007 "reprehensible" as "too harsh". Did I miss it?

No, you didn't. I'm not a mod and so can happily decide for myself what to comment and what to ignore. I need not claim to pompously judge on everything written here. In fact I don't care about American politics and the finer points of your civil war, so as a rule I don't follow these threads and don't engage in any kind of enraged discussion about it. It's nothing to me and I don't have the faintest about your clash of cultures. For all I care it could all be about a sack of rice in China.

What I do care about is a few people, but certainly not because they are Americans or Democrats or whatever flavour else they come in. They could be from Timbuctoo and I wouldn't think much different about them. Apart from them being Timbuctooeses, if that's the word.

Seriously Dustin, you're attacking the victim here.

Not at all. I merely state my opinion about his opinion; I don't think any worse about Righty007 just because we apparently don't agree. I feel confident it's the same from Righty's point-of-view, we need not agree about everything written here.

Why don't you go and call out Mrs.Blofeld for her remarks FIRST and then maybe, just maybe, your words will carry a little bit more weight on this matter. Until then your credibility is persona non grata.

Actually it's of very little consequence to me what you think on this matter because I didn't address you, I addressed Righty. Your feelings on this are in fact not so much of a surprise to me - you enjoy yourself quite splendidly in this - so there is little to add to the discussion from my point.

#34 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

Apart from the pun not being overly witty, I really do think you are too harsh there, Righty007. Every forum/message-board is in some way dependent on the judgement of its mods and owners. This is in no way different here, I should think. Neither is this lack of democratic spirit nor does it constitute dictatorship; it's just the only way these things work. And for the most part it would seem to work halfway decently in my view. Jim already pointed out what to do in case one feels the need for moderate action, I don't see what else there is to it.

Thanks for the lecture on the art of moderation, Dustin. I don't expect you to know this considering you just joined but between the years of 2004 and 2008, I was a mod here so I know how it is supposed to work.

#35 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the lecture on the art of moderation, Dustin. I don't expect you to know this considering you just joined but between the years of 2004 and 2008, I was a mod here.

Oh, it wasn't meant as a lecture, it's my honest belief that things aren't likely to work any different. I'm sure all members sooner or later encounter the odd situation where they don't agree with the moderation, no matter if that's Jim's or Bruce003's or yours even. Still overall the amount of decisions we can live with outweights in my opinion those we feel unhappy about. You will have experienced that during your duty too, I suspect?

Edited by Dustin, 03 July 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#36 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

What "moderation"? I've seen no evidence of moderation in this thread. Coming in and offering a vague "'Nuff'" to no one in particular, as if everybody and nobody shares the same burden of responsibility for creating this problem is not "moderation"; it's dereliction of duty. It's time to call a spade a spade: Mrs.Blofeld has engaged in anti-social behaviour in this thread unbecoming someone who has been a regular, well-known poster for 3 or 4 years. This is Mrs.Blofeld's problem and his alone. He created this situation, no one else.

Provoking people is a great way of getting attention, as you obviously know, GS. Jim masterfully avoids that kind of provocation and I admire him for his most amusing ways to deal with those posters. IMO that is just the kind of moderation this board needs.

You seem to be on the other hand of the spectrum. You want the mods to practice zero tolerance against those who, in your book, behave intolerant - yet, you do not realize that it is behaviour like yours which would have to be targeted by that kind of board control.

I'm issuing a citizens arrest against Mr.Blofeld. He has officially been put on WARNING by Gravity's Silhouette and, much like the United Nations, I will impotently continue to warn him until he can be warned no more.

I know this threat to be irony on your part - yet, from reading your posts I get the feeling that you have so much aggression inside you that you can barely contain yourself. I´m sure you will write huge chunks of rebuttals against my post and attack me for siding with the mods or Zorin or anyone who criticizes you. And I will try not to react to this game of yours - yet, I´m afraid I won´t have Jim´s patience.

By the way, I love Stephen Colbert´s book.

#37 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Dustin and SecretAgentFan both raise compelling points but I feel everyone in this thread seems to be simply turning a blind eye to the big issue here: Mr. Blofeld's toxic behavior on these forums. Surely Righty, GS and myself are not the only ones who have taken note of it--this I can guarantee.

#38 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

"Toxic"? I only get angry when it comes to politics; you know that, David. :rolleyes:

Yes, I said some very horrible things; I apologize... but I, in turn, would very much appreciate it if you, Grav, and Righty0 were to tone down your own political rhetoric, in the various threads in which you've posted -- tit for tat, if you will.

I know that all the apologizing in the world will never get me anywhere with you three, but that's probably to be expected... c'est, la vie, and Happy Fourth of July. I celebrate it just as much as you.

(By the by, I also own I Am America -- still a good read. :))

#39 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

"Toxic"? I only get angry when it comes to politics; you know that, Davd. :rolleyes:

Are you mentally deficient? How about the countless times you've talked down to and dismissed ALL Bond-related opinions of those forum members who don't adore "QOS" as you do? You've been guilty of this on many, many occasions, Matthew.

Yes, I said some very horrible things; I apologize... but I, in turn, would very much appreciate it if you, Grav, and Righty0 were to tone down your own political rhetoric, in the various threads in which you've posted -- tit for tat, if you will.

This is absolute tripe. "Political rhetoric"? We're not the ones blatantly attacking those whose opinions differ from our own. This is your modus operandi and always has been on these forums. What kind of "tolerant liberal" are you, Mr. Open-Minded?

And as Dwight Schrute would say, the expressions is "Tit for tit."

#40 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

"Toxic"? I only get angry when it comes to politics; you know that, Davd. :rolleyes:

(By the by, I also own I Am America -- still a good read. :))

What political rhetoric? I can't speak for GS but I haven't posted about anything political since 2009. You can check my post history for verification.

Even if I did, I'm allowed to state my opinions without being harassed by a little twerp from Rhode Island. You have that same right except you always cross the line by launching personal attacks, which often causes people to disrespect you and your opinions.

Apology noted.