This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Should Bond go into outer space ever again?

71 replies to this topic

#1 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:57 AM

If it were to be done seriously and realistically (say, in a Daniel Craig Bond 23 or 24), should/could Bond go into outer space again, or is it still too outlandish?

#2 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:03 AM

If it were possible to avoid it, I'd be over the moon ;-)

Edited by MkB, 17 September 2007 - 02:04 AM.

#3 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:12 AM

Personally, until and unless there is some kind of commercialization or colonization of the moon, I can't see any way where it wouldn't be absurd, simply because there's no human threat force that would realistically be in outer space for him to go up against. Until and unless that situation changes, I would say that Bond should remain essentially within the confines of the Earth and its biosphere.

#4 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:21 AM

Personally, until and unless there is some kind of commercialization or colonization of the moon, I can't see any way where it wouldn't be absurd, simply because there's no human threat force that would realistically be in outer space for him to go up against. Until and unless that situation changes, I would say that Bond should remain essentially within the confines of the Earth and its biosphere.

Drax back from the dead and looking for revenge :cooltongue:

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:24 AM

Exactly, Darkpath!
And besides, caring about the feminine audience of Bond films, let's say a swinsuit (or even a wet suit) is far more sexy than an astronaut outfit!

#6 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:39 AM

And besides, caring about the feminine audience of Bond films, let's say a swinsuit (or even a wet suit) is far more sexy than an astronaut outfit!

I guess i got a weird taste when it comes to what i think is sexy.Give me the space outfit anyday!

#7 Spurrier

Spurrier

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:43 AM

If it were to be done seriously and realistically (say, in a Daniel Craig Bond 23 or 24), should/could Bond go into outer space again, or is it still too outlandish?

I think quite a few Bond movies are "outlandish". Therefore, I have no problem with Bond going back to outer space.

#8 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:45 AM

There are more than enough good stories to tell down here on planet earth (& this is coming from someone who likes Moonraker :cooltongue: ).

#9 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:03 AM

There are more than enough good stories to tell down here on planet earth (& this is coming from someone who likes Moonraker ).

I agree. Also we should not forget that Connery's Bond almost went into space in YOLT.

#10 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

Not if they want to keep the realism of CR going through the Craig era.

Edited by Sbott, 17 September 2007 - 09:41 AM.

#11 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:59 PM

How about Drax's evil twin brother shows up and builds a new space station? In an equally unexpected and dramatic twist, Jaws could turn up played by a different actor (it transpires that his and Dolly's escape pod floated around and around the stratosphere until Drax's brother came along and rescued him).

#12 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

Please No. Feets on the ground

#13 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

Not until commercial space flight starts becoming common, but is still expensive and fantastic, so that people can enjoy the experience vicariously through Bond without laughing at its implausibility.

And I think Daniel Craig could do it, but I rather he not until Bond 24, provided my above conditions are met.

#14 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:55 PM

Serious and realistic are good to have, but they're not enough for Bond. Rich and exotic is still a necessary location ingredient, IMO.

Space is black, cold, and necessarily artificial if humans are to survive in it. It may be a possibility and not outlandish at all, but is it fun? Not Bond's kind of fun, IMO.

So, even if space travel, moon colonization, Mars vacations or asteroid paintball arenas all become commonplace within the next 10 years, it all still seems an awfully dreary place for Bond to be, especially when there's still so much of South America, Africa and other corners of the earth for him to explore.

If given the choice I'd take a serious and realistic deep sea adventure before a deep space adventure.

#15 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

:cooltongue: please, not in my lifetime.

#16 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:36 PM

No outer space! Please!

#17 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

If given the choice I'd take a serious and realistic deep sea adventure before a deep space adventure.

Same here.

It'll be many decades before humans even begin to have the technology to colonize a remotely interesting location in space (for a Bond movie, at least). And that'd probably be Saturn's moon Titan, which is relatively Earth-like. And I still couldn't see it being the actual setting for more than a short length of time.

#18 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:26 PM

Bond should go into outer space again. Probably about the same time as personal invisibility technology is available to us all at affordable prices.

Oh, you mean, you didn't know about that.......

#19 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

Bond back in space again?

Not on your little nellie!

#20 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

Not until commercial space flight starts becoming common, but is still expensive and fantastic, so that people can enjoy the experience vicariously through Bond without laughing at its implausibility.

And I think Daniel Craig could do it, but I rather he not until Bond 24, provided my above conditions are met.

Well, we already have examples of millionaires paying for vacations in space :

http://en.wikipedia...._space_tourists

and also on that page it says there are plans to have a commercial space station up and running by 2010, by which time Bond 24 will probably be in the planning stages! So the idea of Bond in space in the next couple of years is already far more credible and based in reality than anything we saw in DAD, and MR for that matter.
You could have a plot revolving around the inaugural commercial space flight (EON love their 'ripped from the headlines' scenarios!), organized by a Richard Branson-like Bond villain, who is really using it as a smokescreen to do something dastardly. (don't they always do that?)

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

I'm not positive whether I'd want him to or not, but I bet they could come up with a way to make it seem somewhat plausible and not too outlandish*.

*which would naturally be the subject of several debates on Bond forums.

#22 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:50 PM

I don't think I'd like to see him go into space again. I like the more realistic direction the series has taken, and I just can't think of any plausible plotlines that would require him to go into space. What could a villain do from a space station that couldn't be done on Earth?

#23 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:57 PM

He'll be so busy going more deeply into inner space I doubt he'll have the time.

#24 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:46 PM

Perhaps Bond can go back into space the next time Halleys Comet comes round(they can write it into the plot this time). Not before.

#25 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:51 AM

On second thoughts,it would be great if he went to the edge of the atmosphere in one of those high altiude spyplanes for some pressing reason. Maybe did a mega high HALO jump from it?
I felt that the HALO jump in TND was a bit wasted somehow.

#26 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:21 AM

Going into space is not outlandish, but when they throw in laser guns, etc it is going too far.

#27 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:03 PM

For me, Moonraker was the only true letdown in the official series. The only reason for that is because the climax was such a foolish mess. Why would they send 007 to space ??? Please let's never do that again.

#28 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

I think a jump from one of the new consumer space planes 63 miles up, the edge of space, is the only thing I could go for.

#29 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

When the rest of us can realistically think about visiting space then I'm happy for Bond to do so. But not if we find Jaws and Dolly up there, living happily ever after.

#30 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:57 PM

Why would they send 007 to space ???

Mmmmmh... Because M was tired of his corny humour, and couldn't bear his bell-bottom pants anymore? :cooltongue: