308 replies to this topic

#61 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:04 PM

I'm not clear on it you guys are doing this or if so exactly what the rules, deadline, format is (I see there was discussion of it, but it appears no final decision. Who actually decides these things on cbn.net anyway?). But if this is a go, I want to play, so let us all know if this is happening and where to submit and any other restrictions.

#62 dsomerset

dsomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:18 PM

This sounds like a great idea. I would be very interested in submitting my short story "The Birth of Evil" for consideration. It would be fantastic to be included in a centenary collection.

#63 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:24 PM

[mra]I

#64 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

Any more updates on this lately? I'm working away over the Christmas holiday on my piece.

#65 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:49 AM

Bumping up... Any news? :D

#66 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

Indeed, any further updates on this project? I'm quite interested in submitting something but it would be nice if some of the details were confirmed. The deadline is set at 29 February 2008, yes?

#67 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

[mra]I

#68 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

Are we still working off a February 28th due date? I'm really getting into this, I'd like to know how fast I should be rewriting :D.

#69 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

Since I finally came up with another idea, I want to play too. So, could we get some clarification/confirmation of rules, submission deadlines, who to submit to, etc. Also, now that I'm playing, who else is in: Scrambled Eggs, MkB, Bryce, Joyce Carrington, Hitch, EchoMusic, Clinkeroo, etc.?

#70 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

Very sorry to say I won't be attempting an entry, simply because I haven't the time. :D

#71 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

As a working brief, having read through the posts here, maybe something like:

1. This is a celebration of the man who created Bond.
2. There's a presumption that the stories will be "literary" Bond, therefore rely on characters created in the novels and short stories rather than by Eon or the other film producers i.e. no Elektra King.
3. Bearing in mind that "literary" Bond encompasses Higson's 1930s Bond to Benson's early c21 Bond if someone advances a Young Bond or a Bensonesque story set in 2002, this is not a huge problem.
4. However, as he did in all Fleming's stories, James Bond must appear, although he need not be the main character.
5. It is probably better for this to be an outpouring of expression of what James Bond means to the writer rather than have too many rules. Too many rules and people may feel uncomfortable / put off by having to do things in a certain way.
6. 20,000 words max. No lower limit but there needs to be some sort of story. If you can do it in haiku, fine.
7. Deadline February 29 2008.
8. The story must not have been "published" elsewhere or anywhere else on CBn; these should come as a surprise when published. Stories as word attachments to [email protected]

I don't assert these proposals as definite by any means: but this needs some energy, admittedly, and it seems like too nice an idea to let dwindle.

Very reasonable guidelines. I'm sure there will be several fine storys to enjoy! GREAT! :D

As above, with email address attached. Apologies for slow response and more apologies to anyone who has sent me somthing which I have not acknowledged. I will do so shortly.

#72 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the precision Jim!

MHazard, I'm playing too :D At least, I'm trying to finish the short story I started writing last September... I've 5 chapters so far, and I should add a couple to complete it. I hope I'll make it to February 29th 2008.

#73 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

I'm in as well. It will be a bit shorter than the behemoth that ended up in 'Measure for Measure,' - I'm excited to be taking this in an entirely different direction.

Fire me a PM if anyone needs help with logistics.

#74 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:07 AM

I'm eating stewed apple at the Shamelady Fanfic Retirement Home. My best wishes to everyone taking part.

#75 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

I'm in as well. This should be a wonderful project!

#76 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:39 PM

Just a reminder of this, if anyone's still interested, especially the submission points at 7 and 8

1. This is a celebration of the man who created Bond.
2. There's a presumption that the stories will be "literary" Bond, therefore rely on characters created in the novels and short stories rather than by Eon or the other film producers i.e. no Elektra King.
3. Bearing in mind that "literary" Bond encompasses Higson's 1930s Bond to Benson's early c21 Bond if someone advances a Young Bond or a Bensonesque story set in 2002, this is not a huge problem.
4. However, as he did in all Fleming's stories, James Bond must appear, although he need not be the main character.
5. It is probably better for this to be an outpouring of expression of what James Bond means to the writer rather than have too many rules. Too many rules and people may feel uncomfortable / put off by having to do things in a certain way.
6. 20,000 words max. No lower limit but there needs to be some sort of story. If you can do it in haiku, fine.
7. Deadline February 29 2008.
8. The story must not have been "published" elsewhere or anywhere else on CBn; these should come as a surprise when published. Stories as word attachments to [email protected]

#77 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

Mmmmmm. February 29, eh? Sounds good but...to tell you the truth I wanted to sit back and read Jim's J A K rather than concentrate on writing something again.

I've been dying to read his workagain now that I have some time on my hands because if there is one writer after Gardner who can keep me on the edge as much as him it most certainly is Jim.

Nah, I'm giving the CBn Centenary Short story Collection a miss. Hope I get to read it though.

Good luck to all FF writers.

#78 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Jim. The deadline fast approaches, and I'm certainly letting it motivate me. I'm very excited about this.

#79 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

Just a reminder - two weeks to go...

#80 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

Almost ten month ago I cracked the idea and started this thread. I was happy when i noticed that there was interest in this kind of project and now I really longing to see the result of it (at least I hope it will be).

Just about a week to go...

#81 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:46 PM

Writing like Fleming is interesting. Well not LIKE him, I don't know if I'd go that far, but trying to emulate his writing is interesting.

#82 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

Writing like Fleming is interesting. Well not LIKE him, I don't know if I'd go that far, but trying to emulate his writing is interesting.

Interesting and intimidating, I'd say. I'm having fun with it but I'm also feeling the pressure... and I'm not talking about the looming deadline!

#83 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

Damn. I forgot about this, but I've been swamped with the final format stuff on my own NSR Bryce adventure (it's done at least and almost there) and working on three scripts.

Then again, it's sometimes at the 11th hour that I go into a frenzy and crank something out.

*digs through files*

Yeah, I did draft a rough outline that takes place in 1974.

"The Length of Arms"

No promises.

Then again, you never know...

#84 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

Interesting and intimidating, I'd say. I'm having fun with it but I'm also feeling the pressure... and I'm not talking about the looming deadline!

Indeed. It's a terrific amount of fun to be doing, but I feel myself scrutinizing every single word perhaps even a shade more than normal. The deadline did sort of creep up on me, but I'm really striving to not disappoint myself.

#85 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

Damn. I forgot about this, but I've been swamped with the final format stuff on my own NSR Bryce adventure (it's done at least and almost there) and working on three scripts.

Then again, it's sometimes at the 11th hour that I go into a frenzy and crank something out.

*digs through files*

Yeah, I did draft a rough outline that takes place in 1974.

"The Length of Arms"

No promises.

Then again, you never know...

I'm in the same sort of predicament. I currently have a week off from school... but no inspiration yet and a school paper to write as well.

Who knows...

#86 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:54 AM

One week left...

Clocky-wocky, him go Ticky-tocky.

Huge thanks to those who have submitted so far.

#87 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

I'm in the same sort of predicament. I currently have a week off from school... but no inspiration yet and a school paper to write as well.

Who knows...

Now, Fenna, you've been teasing with that story for a while now. Wouldn't it feel good to get it out of your system?

#88 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

Yes, it would! :tup:

I'm not sure though, if that is a project I'd be able to finish in a week... I'll try... :tup:

#89 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

Yes, it would! :tup:

I'm not sure though, if that is a project I'd be able to finish in a week... I'll try... :tup:

[mra]If you don

#90 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

I see that some of the noted heavy hitters may play after all. For me, I feel as though I'm in "the pressure room" and must take action before it erupts under my chair (before the deadline approaches). And yet, the risk sharpens my senses. This is a dangerous writing assignment, the ones I truly enjoy!